Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Q

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,963 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

mcgrailg wrote:
    Is the Sky Q available as a stand alone box or do you have to take a mini with it does anyone know ?

Stand alone but you have to pay for multi room if you want 4k

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mcgrailg

Thanks for the replies, i have the Sky Q but wanted to cancel multiroom at the weekend. The person i talked in Sky was adamant i could not cancel it, i needed it for Sky Q

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Is there one multiroom fee, regardless of how many mini boxes you have?

Is there one multiroom fee, regardless of how many mini boxes you have?

Yes one multi room fee regardless of how many rooms. They claw some of this back by charging outrageous installation charges for anything over one room

• Registered Users Posts: 28,753 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

mcgrailg wrote: »
    Is the Sky Q available as a stand alone box or do you have to take a mini with it does anyone know ?

I'm getting it on its own

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Yes one multi room fee regardless of how many rooms. They claw some of this back by charging outrageous installation charges for anything over one room

Presume if I have my own ethernet cables ran, then there's no outrageous fee? Or am I being silly and Sky just charge anyway.

Presume if I have my own ethernet cables ran, then there's no outrageous fee? Or am I being silly and Sky just charge anyway.

They charge anyway. Installation fees are on their website

They charge anyway. Installation fees are on their website

For such a straightforward thing customers should be given a self install option. Like Virgin do with their routers etc.

For such a straightforward thing customers should be given a self install option. Like Virgin do with their routers etc.

You push a button on the Sky Q box and push a button on the multi room device to pair them. That's it installed. You'll have to do this yourself every now and then anyway

You push a button on the Sky Q box and push a button on the multi room device to pair them. That's it installed. You'll have to do this yourself every now and then anyway

Even if using ethernet?

• Advertisement

Even if using ethernet?

That I'm not sure about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Does the mini box have all the features of the main box? Pause rewind record etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

jca wrote: »
    Does the mini box have all the features of the main box? Pause rewind record etc.

Yes, exact same.

No difference I found. It's an exact copy of what you will have on the main box.

Handy the way you can just move it from room to room also a runs of your wi-fi network. So easy.

shmeee wrote: »
    Yes, exact same.

No difference I found. It's an exact copy of what you will have on the main box.

Handy the way you can just move it from room to room also a runs of your wi-fi network. So easy.

Have you sky bb? I have the option of either wiring the mini box or using it over WiFi. I have vm bb using a tplink modem, will they connect via WiFi with that setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

jca wrote: »
    Have you sky bb? I have the option of either wiring the mini box or using it over WiFi. I have vm bb using a tplink modem, will they connect via WiFi with that setup?

I'm running Eir Broadband with no boosters and no problems since I changed the frequency it was running over. Had some problems the first week it was installed last year but followed advice here and changed some settings and working finest since, past year or so now.

Can't see why your setup won't work.

shmeee wrote: »
    I'm running Eir Broadband with no boosters and no problems since I changed the frequency it was running over. Had some problems the first week it was installed last year but followed advice here and changed some settings and working finest since, past year or so now.

Can't see why your setup won't work.

Thanks for that. It looks very slick.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Tell that to the thousands around this country who barely get a 2G mobile signal and dial-up speeds on a landline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jones

Any notice the sky q silver box a little less reliable after the last update? Seems to crash now and again now. Freeze and have to turn it off and on again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

mcgrailg wrote:

Stand alone but you have to pay for multi room if you want 4k

Usual carry on from sky. Outrageous that you have to get a 2nd box to avail of 4K.

• Advertisement

dubmick wrote:
    Usual carry on from sky. Outrageous that you have to get a 2nd box to avail of 4K.

You won't be missing much. Pretty miserable collection of 4k content & absolutely no HDR. I'd rather have HDR content rather than 4k.

Netflix & Amazon Prime video have a much better selection of 4k and HDR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

dubmick wrote:

You won't be missing much. Pretty miserable collection of 4k content & absolutely no HDR. I'd rather have HDR content rather than 4k.

Netflix & Amazon Prime video have a much better selection of 4k and HDR
    Yeah using both on my TV and the pictures looks amazing. If only Netflix or Amazon prime could get World Cup rights!
    Anyone know if any Saorview boxes can get Ultra HD? I can only presume the BBC will be looking at Ultra HD for the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

If I get Sky Q I'd like to also keep my current set-up (without sub obviously). Is this possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Hi
    Currently seeing a program (liar) on the my Q section from ITV HD but I don’t seem to have the channel and it’s not on the catch up tab..
    Anybody seeing this.
    Am I missing the channel somewhere?

In Ireland we don't get any ITV or UTV as far as I remember. These are on Astra, so they are there but not on the planner.

Search online for their frequency & you can tune them in on the add channel section. Even then they won't be on the planner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

In Ireland we don't get any ITV or UTV as far as I remember. These are on Astra, so they are there but not on the planner.

Search online for their frequency & you can tune them in on the add channel section. Even then they won't be on the planner
    I have them tuned in , I was just wondering why i have a ITV program is available for me to watch and record when I don’t have that channel.
    It’s currently gone off the my Q section but I have it recorded.

Can't wait for the HDR content

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Official Sky announcement on Netflix. Given Virgin’s had this for ages it’s very welcome. Includes Now TV but not Sky+HD.

https://www.skygroup.sky/corporate/media-centre/articles/en-gb/sky-and-netflix-agree-new-european-partnership

Advertisement