Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far has craft beer come in Ireland?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

BeerNut wrote: »
    So what you're saying, MadsL, is that Germany, the Czech Republic and England have a similar same level of beer diversity as Ireland, where the number of native beer brands is well into triple digits and the number of operating breweries won't be far behind.

Do you think that? Based on my experience of 5 years ago or more, I would have said Germany, the Czech Republic and England have a far higher beer diversity than Ireland.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

MadsL wrote: »
    Do you think that? Based on my experience of 5 years ago or more, I would have said Germany, the Czech Republic and England have a far higher beer diversity than Ireland.
    Well of course they do: they're much bigger countries. On a per capita basis we have similar diversity, and if you take the availability of good imported beers into account I think we're doing rather better than any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

BeerNut wrote: »
    Well of course they do: they're much bigger countries. On a per capita basis we have similar diversity, and if you take the availability of good imported beers into account I think we're doing rather better than any of them.

Fair enough. Your previous post suggested those countries had poor diversity.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Again, hundreds of local brewers survive and hundreds more have started. In 2000, there were around 500 breweries in the UK, the 2015 edition of the Good Beer Guide lists 1,285 breweries now operating in Britain.

But walk in to an average bar and there'll be five or six beers on draught, generally all terrible.

The average consumer gets exposed to non-macros far more in Ireland.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Fair enough. Your previous post suggested those countries had poor diversity.
    Not at all, just that most of the beer is terrible. Most of the beer everywhere is terrible: that's just the way beer is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement