Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

18 months old crazy for smartphone and tablet

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I grew up in Dublin and several class mates had two working parents. They went to child minder and after school services. That's besides the children of single working parents.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Lazygal, what age are you?!!I am an early 80s baby but yes, both parents worked, we had a minder.There was a big mix of working and stay at home parents in our area.
    Computer in our house was a Dell one though, not til I was a teen I'd say.Apple wasn't heard of then!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I'm 37. We had a good bit of tech in the house and we weren't an outlier by any stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

pwurple wrote: »
    Light does not damage eyes. We are not underground creatures. People used to think books damaged our brains.

And as for the screens, I agree they should be limited, but complete bans on technology exposure up to a random age is unfounded. Moderation, and being mindful of the content is the key.... They can be a great tool, for creativity, communication and education, rather than just a method of mindless consumption.

And your 4 year old niece more than likely had a squint being corrected at that age.

Not entirely unfounded to be fair. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) has for a long time recommended no screen time at all for children under 2, for example, based on continuous studies since the 1990s

Dr Mary Aiken has some good articles on the topic.

Advertisement