Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oi oi lads were off to the euro's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Watched it here this evening. Great performance!

The Brother rang me after the game. He was at the game with the 'lads'. They're off to get 'sh*tfaced' in Dublin. He also asked me if I'd be on for renting a campervan in France next summer at the games. It seemed like the kind of bonding session that would really bring my Dad, Brother and I together in the spirit of sport. Alas, no.

This was an idea involving me renting a campervan so a load of lads in Celtic jerseys could get drunk in the back whilst I brought them to see some of the myriad historical sites in France on the way to the next game.

I let him go on the phone. Some of us have work in the morning that means something, unlike some people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

At least the lads put a bit of pride back in Irish sport after the Rugby boys embarrassed us with yet another failure at the World Cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

XR3i wrote: »
    and we couldn't give a **** if we win the world cup cos irelands got the greatest football team, olé ole ole ole olé olé

Sung in many an XR3i.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Watched it here this evening. Great performance!

The Brother rang me after the game. He was at the game with the 'lads'. They're off to get 'sh*tfaced' in Dublin. He also asked me if I'd be on for renting a campervan in France next summer at the games. It seemed like the kind of bonding session that would really bring my Dad, Brother and I together in the spirit of sport. Alas, no.

This was an idea involving me renting a campervan so a load of lads in Celtic jerseys could get drunk in the back whilst I brought them to see some of the myriad historical sites in France on the way to the next game.

I let him go on the phone. Some of us have work in the morning that means something, unlike some people.

Jaysus who pissed in your cornflakes

Wouldn't like to be your brother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

At least the lads put a bit of pride back in Irish sport after the Rugby boys embarrassed us with yet another failure at the World Cup

How many world cups have you won?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

The rugby boys did their best tbf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

None but if we only had to play against 5 countries (only NewZeland,Australia, SouthAfrica,England and Wales can realistically win a rugby world cup) I'm pretty confident we would get past the last 8 at least once!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Christy has altered the lyrics to Joxer..
    It was in the year of twenty sixteen, in the lovely month of June,
    When the gadflies were swarming and dogs howling at the moon,
    Ah with rosary beads and sandwiches for Versailles we began,
    Joxer packed his French phrase-book, and jump-leads for the van.

Ah well some of the lads had never been away from home before.
    It was the first time Whacker put his foot outside of Inchicore.
    And before we left for Europe, we knew we’d need a plan,
    So we all agreed that Joxer was the man to drive the van.

In France the Autoroute was like the Long Mile Road
    There was every make of car and van, all carrying the full load
    Ford Transits and Hiaces, and an old Bedford from Tralee,
    With the engine overheating from long-hauling duty free.

There were fans from Ballyfermot, Ballybough and Ballymun
    On the journey of a lifetime and the craic was ninety one
    Joxer met a French Farmer’s daughter on the banks of the River Rhine
    and he told her she’d be welcome in Ballyfermot anytime

And as soon as we found Calais, we got the wagons in a ring
    Sean óg got out the banjo and Peter played the mandolin.
    Oh there were fans there from everywhere, attracted by the sound
    At the first Fleadh Ceol in Europe and Joxer passed the flagon round

But the session it ended when we’d finished all the stout
    The air mattresses inflated and the sleeping bags rolled out
    As one by one we fell asleep, Joxer had a dream
    He dreamt himself and O'Neill sat down to pick the team

Joxer dreamt they both agreed on Hoolahan straight away
    And that Brady, Whelan and Walters were certainly to play
    Ah but soon a row erupted and when Keane got pissed off.
    You see O'Neill wanted Given, but Roy wanted Randolph.

As the dream turned into a nightmare, Keane gave O'Neill a kick in the sack.
    For wanting to bring Cascarino and Niall Quinn back
    Ah well the frog legs they were eaten and Bordeaux was drunken down.
    And Joxer woke up in his sleeping bag many miles from his home town.

Next morning none of the experts gave us the slightest chance
    They said that the English team would lead us on a merry dance
    Ah with their union jacks all them English fans for victory they were set
    Until Ray Houghton got the ball and he stuck it in the net

What happened next is history, brought tears to many eyes
    Oh that day will be the highlight of many people’s lives
    Well Joxer climbed right over the top and the last time he was seen
    Was arm-in-arm with Jack Charlton, singing ‘Revenge for Skibbereen’.

Ah now Whacker’s back in Inchicore, he’s living with his Mam
    And Jack Charlton has been proclaimed an honorary Irishman
    Listen do you remember that German’s daughter on the banks of the River Rhine

Ah jeez, well didn’t she show up in Ballyfermot last week ….

Christy said he'd do the rest in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,233 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Can't wait best qualification ever given the standard of players and the group we were in. And f**k ISIS we are going to France!! Would love to get the nordies and the English in the same group.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Aidan Holland

We will be in pot 4 along with the north and Wales so we can only draw England and I'm glad we can't draw the north due to all that sectarian nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I'm not into international football one bit. Frankly, I could've cared less if we had got beat 7-0 tonight. However, I do find myself quite proud over the whole thing.

Martin O'Neill has done a bang-up job with an abundance of truly horrendous players. Actually, I think he could be Ireland's best ever manager when all is said and done. That's perhaps a bit premature, not to mention blasphemous I'm sure, but I can't remember such an abysmal Ireland team overachieving like this. Charlton had a lot of good players at his disposal; as did McCarthy. O'Neill's best, most consistent player in this campaign has been Jon Walters. I still don't know who the f*ck Jeff Hendrick is by the way.

We won't win Euro 2016, but I'd be stunned if we didn't give a much better account of ourselves than last time around. We're a f*cking hard team to beat and Europe's elite will discover that for themselves in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

not really a soccer fan but it's great to see an irish team do well. also great to see new young lads playing their skin off in the jersey instead of the auld lad of the last so many years , that brady lad is some dude

but fcuk me im sick of that ole ole i think its time for a new song or chant something irish would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

First the centenary now this, twill be a great year shure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

Delighted. Love the ole ole ole stuff and great to see the nation get a lift after the embarrassment of the rugby crowd last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

None but if we only had to play against 5 countries (only NewZeland,Australia, SouthAfrica,England and Wales can realistically win a rugby world cup) I'm pretty confident we would get past the last 8 at least once!

That's gas!

Tell me, how did we get on in the last Euros?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭earlytobed

padd b1975 wrote: »
    They only qualified because the tournament has been expanded.

Years ago, it was the top eight teams that made it to the finals, it made for a much better quality tournament.
    Why don't you just tune in to the finals at the quarter final stage when there are eight teams left?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Can't wait for the same people who ''wouldn't watch that Ireland team if they were out my back garden'' to become part of the Best Fans In The World now that we're on the big stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

At least the soccer team play Ina world competition. The thugby boys play ina competition made of a world consisting of about 8 countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

At least the soccer team play Ina world competition. The thugby boys play ina competition made of a world consisting of about 8 countries.

have to agree with ya there , and i dont want to derail thread , but its like some hurler or footballer thinking he is a great sports star, ya in his own parish maybe

not really a soccer fan but it's great to see an irish team do well. also great to see new young lads playing their skin off in the jersey instead of the auld lad of the last so many years , that brady lad is some dude

but fcuk me im sick of that ole ole i think its time for a new song or chant something irish would be nice
    crybaby wrote: »
    That's gas!

Tell me, how did we get on in the last Euros?
    Omackeral wrote: »
    Can't wait for the same people who ''wouldn't watch that Ireland team if they were out my back garden'' to become part of the Best Fans In The World now that we're on the big stage.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Legality!? It's their site they can ask you to disable ad blocker if they want, its up to you whether you actually do or not.

As for the servers, they would have been smashed for the last 15 minutes or so. That kind of traffic would happen very very rarely, it would be a waste of money and resources to pump money into something that would only be needed once a year if even.

Delighted to see the lads go through. I'm not a huge fan of the international team, but delighted for them and the fans all the same.

Ahem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

padd b1975 wrote: »
    They only qualified because the tournament has been expanded.

Years ago, it was the top eight teams that made it to the finals, it made for a much better quality tournament.

The competition has expanded because Europe has expanded. 32 teams entered the euros when it was 8 teams, theres 54 now and theres some cracking teams now there that werent able to enter back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Ah yes we do, whenever we qualify that is 1990, 1994, 2002

Even our cricket team have appeared at the world cup 3 times

Whats the last trophy the soccer team won? - genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Shane_ef wrote: »

Umbro Cup about 5 years ago ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Shane_ef wrote: »

Nation's Cup, 4 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,233 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

jamesbere wrote: »
    Dunphy was close to crying at the, very tired and emotional

He wanted O'Neill out a few games ago he must be dizzy from the amount of u- turns he makes.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

TallGlass wrote: »
    I'm so seriously ****ING annoyed at RTE for denying me this moment to watch the end of the match and see some celebrations. Seriously thinking they are actually capable of not doing anything correct apart from paying there staff over the odds.

There web player is not only riddled with ads, it forces you to disable the ad blocker software, something I question to legality of as YouTube and many other sites don't force this on you. But now it doesn't work! You would actually forget sometimes you pay money for this type of ****e.

And now there server looks to have crashed with a 503 error, so the national broadcaster cannot even keep a server online. What actually happens in RTE? Do they invest in anything, like normal staff, hardware etc.. or just pay 20/30 people ridiculous amounts of money.

Sat in my armchair with my feet up and a bottle of cold beer watching the telly, I didn't encounter this problem. The celebrations were good craic....especially Martin trying to drag Keano out onto the pitch to get some applause but Keano kept fighting him off and trying to get back to the sideline. Funny stuff.

Watching everything online is for muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Omackeral wrote: »

Oh a mate of mine was puffing his chest out all week saying he didn't care about the play offs or wanted to watch them. Saying this morning he wants to go to France in June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

There was some queue for the fried breakfasts in our canteen this morning and a whiff of victory in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

iDave wrote: »
    Oh a mate of mine was puffing his chest out all week saying he didn't care about the play offs or wanted to watch them. Saying this morning he wants to go to France in June.

No issue with this to be honest. More the merrier and hopefully we can fill the stadium more often. Just once the FAI remember who is at the back of queue when tickets are allocated...sport will always attract a bandwagon but all fans had their first game once.

Bet the Indo still managed to fit four pages of rugby into sports section this morning though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Anorak time: We haven't conceded a goal at home for five and a quarter hours since Scotland's goal and that one was a shot that was heading for the corner flag but went in off O'Shea's back!
    Could John Delaney arrange that we play our matches in Dublin in the Euro Finals?
    sport will always attract a bandwagon but all fans had their first game once
    Can't stand those bandwagon "fans" - having said that Paul O'Connell will be badly missed next summer in France

Advertisement