Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster vs Treviso; Sat 14 Nov 5:15pm; Sky Sports

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭phog

Photos from the game

inpho_00991226_rdax_80.jpg

inpho_00991246_rdax_80.jpg

inpho_00991229_rdax_80.jpg

More photos on Ivan O'Riordan's Facebook page

He's an MRSC photographer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It's more of a business / marketing type discussion, but I am a bit worried about that Lifestyle deal for Munster, two weeks ago I wasn't. The deal appears to be that Lifestyle will be the only stockist of Munster gear going forward. I'll explain why I am worried.

A few years ago I didn't really consider Lifestyle a sports shop. It was more a life-style shop, at the time Champion or Elverys were miles ahead. While Lifestyle stocked the odd jersey, pair of boots and running shoes, if I wanted say a Hockey Stick, Hurl or Cricket Bat I wouldn't go near it. That trend reversed in the last few years, Lifestyle kind of tapped into the new market for running, particularly for females and became a better sports shop for it. That was reflected in the design, they were brighter. The staff were wearing gym gear etc etc. Meanwhile Champion rebranded as JD and became kind of street clothing, which is grand. I wouldn't really shop there anymore.

The problem is that in the last two weeks I've seen a change in strategy in Lifestyle. Go into their new store in Liffey Valley, and it's dark, with neon lit displays and deep music. They no longer have the running shoes front a centre, it's more the adidas originals style hi tops etc. Their new slogan on their facebook ads is "Sports born, Street worn". I feel Munster will lose out because their jerseys don't fit in with that marketing USP. I can see them going to the back of the store out of sight. And I can also see genuine sports fans avoiding the shops they're in. Kids going to buy a new pair of rugby boots for the season in September will be in a shop that doesn't stock the jersey and won't be manipulating their parents into getting them one.

Maybe these concerns are unfounded, and maybe this is just a place for me to express my disappointment at the change in strategy of a shop I was beginning to enjoy browsing in. I just think it was an interesting business strategy by Munster to sign the deal, and I think that deal may now be worse than they had originally thought. It is worth analyzing.

errlloyd wrote: »
    It's more of a business / marketing type discussion, but I am a bit worried about that Lifestyle deal for Munster, two weeks ago I wasn't. The deal appears to be that Lifestyle will be the only stockist of Munster gear going forward. I'll explain why I am worried.

A few years ago I didn't really consider Lifestyle a sports shop. It was more a life-style shop, at the time Champion or Elverys were miles ahead. While Lifestyle stocked the odd jersey, pair of boots and running shoes, if I wanted say a Hockey Stick, Hurl or Cricket Bat I wouldn't go near it. That trend reversed in the last few years, Lifestyle kind of tapped into the new market for running, particularly for females and became a better sports shop for it. That was reflected in the design, they were brighter. The staff were wearing gym gear etc etc. Meanwhile Champion rebranded as JD and became kind of street clothing, which is grand. I wouldn't really shop there anymore.

The problem is that in the last two weeks I've seen a change in strategy in Lifestyle. Go into their new store in Liffey Valley, and it's dark, with neon lit displays and deep music. They no longer have the running shoes front a centre, it's more the adidas originals style hi tops etc. Their new slogan on their facebook ads is "Sports born, Street worn". I feel Munster will lose out because their jerseys don't fit in with that marketing USP. I can see them going to the back of the store out of sight. And I can also see genuine sports fans avoiding the shops they're in. Kids going to buy a new pair of rugby boots for the season in September will be in a shop that doesn't stock the jersey and won't be manipulating their parents into getting them one.

Maybe these concerns are unfounded, and maybe this is just a place for me to express my disappointment at the change in strategy of a shop I was beginning to enjoy browsing in. I just think it was an interesting business strategy by Munster to sign the deal, and I think that deal may now be worse than they had originally thought. It is worth analyzing.

I think it will need a year or two before we know if it was a good deal or not. I also think unless we know the full terms of the deal it's going to be difficult to know how good or bad the deal is for Munster.
    be the only stockist of Munster gear going forward
    I'm not sure this is entirely correct. From what I saw on the reporting of the deal it seems Independent Stockist can with agreement from LS sell Munster merchandise.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It may end up harder but I'm not that much harder to get the stuff.

Most of the official gear is usually pretty expensive too so I'm not sure if you could call them impulse buys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Every lifestyle shop I've been in munster gear is front and center in a very visible spot. Wouldn't be too afraid of it being hidden away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ah clearly posted this in the wrong thread. Ah well. As I said, I wasn't worried two weeks ago, I just don't know where Munster gear fits into this new marketing position lifestyle is taking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Go into their new store in Liffey Valley, and it's dark, with neon lit displays and deep music.

Munster shirts won't sell a lot up there anyway but if you're concerned at the trend; Lifestyle won't spend money to exclusively stock/sell a certain shirt and then hide it away at the back.
    The fans who want a shirt will buy one whether it's inside the door or at the back.
    If Munster can maintain success, Lifestyle could store the shirts near the toilet and people will look for them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think Lifestyle are aiming at becoming the official rugby mechandise shop. They run all the online stores for the provinces, well the online stores are part of their overall website.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,352 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It would be pretty stupid of Lifestyle sports to spend a lot of money getting rights to sell pretty much all of the irish rugby merchandise, and then not use that to sell rugby equipment on the back of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

So if rugby jerseys become mainstream fashion..............does that make us lot hipsters, cos we were there first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I always buy the jersey in Elverys. Most Lifestyle sports in Dublin don't have the jersey and if they do it's the adult home jersey. We were in Elverys in September looking for swimming googles and my son decided he wanted the away jersey so we came away with a Munster jersey and no googles!!! So it might affect jersey sales in Dublin

BBDBB wrote: »
    So if rugby jerseys become mainstream fashion..............does that make us lot hipsters, cos we were there first?

only if you have a jersey from 04/05 at the latest and also a hip flask (this can be from modern day though).

• Administrators Posts: 53,565 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I think Lifestyle are aiming at becoming the official rugby mechandise shop. They run all the online stores for the provinces, well the online stores are part of their overall website.

They don't run the Ulster one. They stock some Ulster gear on their site, but the official Ulster store is managed by Ulster Rugby and Kukri.

mohawk wrote: »
    I always buy the jersey in Elverys. Most Lifestyle sports in Dublin don't have the jersey and if they do it's the adult home jersey. We were in Elverys in September looking for swimming googles and my son decided he wanted the away jersey so we came away with a Munster jersey and no googles!!! So it might affect jersey sales in Dublin

But that was before they signed the agreement with Munster rugby.

• Administrators Posts: 53,565 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

When I was in Elverys in Dundrum they had no Munster gear, only Leinster, Ulster, Connacht and Ireland. Some SANZAR stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

phog wrote: »
    But that was before they signed the agreement with Munster rugby.

True they will be the exclusive retailers in the near future but they are currently associated with Munster via the online store. I am trying to raise a Munster supporter in Dublin (he is 6 and the brain washing is working so far)

They did have plenty of Munster stuff in Elverys in Dundrum back a couple months ago but there's are few of us exiles floating around the Dundrum area

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭leakyboots

awec wrote: »
    When I was in Elverys in Dundrum they had no Munster gear, only Leinster, Ulster, Connacht and Ireland. Some SANZAR stuff too.

Sold it all! :)

Advertisement