Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Independent - TV3 secure rights for Six Nations 2018-21

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

BBC is for the UK, RTE is for the Republic of ireland. It's a pointless complaint.

Eastenders is a British tv show
    Fair City is an Irish to show

Are you saying we should not be watching BBC? Or any non Irish channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Eastenders is a British tv show
    Fair City is an Irish to show

Are you saying we should not be watching BBC? Or any non Irish channel?

Not at all, BBC have the rights for eastenders in UK. RTE have it for Ireland and they buy it for that market only.

We are just lucky BBC is free to air on satellite and aerial so we can choose whichever channel we want.
    I would watch it on BBC too to be honest. Same for sport.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Not at all, BBC have the rights for eastenders in UK. RTE have it for Ireland and they buy it for that market only.

We are just lucky BBC is free to air on satellite and aerial so we can choose whichever channel we want.
    I would watch it on BBC too to be honest. Same for sport.

Would it not make sense then for RTÉ to just scrap it and assume if people want to watch it, they can watch it on the BBC, and to invest the savings on some homegrown talent/shows.

Or sport where an Irish team completes (and has been quite successful lately)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭lertsnim

RTÉ already has a content agreement with BBC Worldwide so Eastenders wont cost that much in the grand scheme of things.

After seeing how much TV3 spent on the 6 Nations I am glad RTÉ didn't outbid them.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Would it not make sense then for RTÉ to just scrap it and assume if people want to watch it, they can watch it on the BBC, and to invest the savings on some homegrown talent/shows.

Or sport where an Irish team completes (and has been quite successful lately)
    If Eastenders is pulling the viewers, why would they scrap it?

I'd imagine that making more home grown programmes to replace the likes of Eastenders would be more expensive, with less advertising revenues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

TV3 are basically replacing the ITV soap with sport. TV3 have no real imagination, their best effort in replacing Coro St and Emmers has been with The Seven O'clock Show, and it hasn't gained much of an audience.

As for RTE, I think they need to work at Drama and Scripted Comedy more than they currently do. Significantly more than they currently do. They should be aiming for 1hr of drama per week outside of Fair City.

Advertisement