Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Independent - TV3 secure rights for Six Nations 2018-21

Options
  • 11-11-2015 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭

Independent.ie reporting TV3 has apparently won the rights for the 2016 Six Nations in a massive blow for RTÉ!

They say a statement is to be issued later!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Confirmed, but from 2018 not 2016.

http://www.rbs6nations.com/en/news/28752.php

Pretty much the end of rugby on RTE -I can't see them keeping a team together for 2-3 November games and imagine they will now look to be released from that contact after 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Ugh. After seeing what they did with the Rugby World Cup I will be watching on BBC and ITV

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

icdg wrote: »
    Confirmed, but from 2018 not 2016.

http://www.rbs6nations.com/en/news/28752.php

Pretty much the end of rugby on RTE -I can't see them keeping a team together for 2-3 November games and imagine they will now look to be released from that contact after 2017.
    Ah ok icdg, thanks for the link... Will you please correct the title of the thread accordingly.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Ugh. After seeing what they did with the Rugby World Cup I will be watching on BBC and ITV
    As long as Conor McNamara isn't commentating I would consider watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Ffs no hd on saorview. I seriously hope they sort out that. In fairness they improved as the world cup went on so it won't be the end of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Apparently the November contract expires in 2017 - I would now expect that to go exclusively to Sky from 2018 onwards.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Meanwhile,

some new show hosted by Brian Ormond/Ray Darcey/Brendan O'Connor coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

irishfeen wrote: »
    As long as Conor McNamara isn't commentating I would consider watching.

same

thought everything was grand except for him

Meanwhile,

some new show hosted by Brian Ormond/Ray Darcey/Brendan O'Connor coming soon.

Isn't the Darce on half a mil or something..

money well spent that

sure who watches sport anyway!?

lawred2 wrote: »
    Isn't the Darce on half a mil or something..

money well spent that

sure who watches sport anyway!?
    To be fair to RTÉ maybe they just couldn't match TV3's bid.

• Advertisement

irishfeen wrote: »
    To be fair to RTÉ maybe they just couldn't match TV3's bid.

well that's rather obvious isn't it

The point being made is TV3 may have overbid.

I see a few people on Facebook and the likes say that RTE are a disgrace for not getting the rights but I would applaud them if it meant them not paying over the odds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

icdg wrote: »
    Apparently the November contract expires in 2017 - I would now expect that to go exclusively to Sky from 2018 onwards.

no I can see TV3 getting the live november rights from 2018, along with live pro-12 rights and after 2021 some live European Rugby cup games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

RTE need to look at all their current sports spending this decision is ideal to do so. Do they really need to buy the Champions League contract? Especially now Setanta /BT cover all the games anyway. GAA is pivotal and should not be touched money well spent. Olympic games contract will be changing from 2020 anyway but do they need spend millions on it apart from the boxers and other Irish interest.

Badabing wrote: »
    RTE need to look at all their current sports spending this decision is ideal to do so. Do they really need to buy the Champions League contract? Especially now Setanta /BT cover all the games anyway. GAA is pivotal and should not be touched money well spent. Olympic games contract will be changing from 2020 anyway but do they need spend millions on it apart from the boxers and other Irish interest.

who cares any more about the 4 yearly dope fest!?

it's become an overtly nationalistic celebration of cheats and thieves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Its a big blow to RTE.

Im not too excited about Tv3 getting the rights.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I think that RTE should not actively compete for sports programs that commercial stations are willing to show, particularly free-to-air domestic channels. I generally think they do sport well, but this is the right call for the taxpayer. TV3 are bound to get better with greater volumes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Amirani wrote: »
    I think that RTE should not actively compete for sports programs that commercial stations are willing to show, particularly free-to-air domestic channels. I generally think they do sport well, but this is the right call for the taxpayer. TV3 are bound to get better with greater volumes.

Let's call a spade a spade.

TV3's coverage of the world cup was crap, not only for the quality of the presentation, or the rubbish quality of the picture on Saorview, but for the endless bloody ad breaks.

Damn right I will be watching the BBC instead, if we can after the Charter Review.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Let's call a spade a spade.

TV3's coverage of the world cup was crap, not only for the quality of the presentation, or the rubbish quality of the picture on Saorview, but for the endless bloody ad breaks.

Damn right I will be watching the BBC instead, if we can after the Charter Review.

:mad:

well you'll only get France v Ireland on the BBC in even years and Wales v Ireland and Scotland v Ireland in the odd years, with the rest on ITV, so you'll have plenty of ads to put up with from them as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

An Tarbh wrote: »
    well you'll only get France v Ireland on the BBC in even years and Wales v Ireland and Scotland v Ireland in the odd years, with the rest on ITV, so you'll have plenty of ads to put up with from them as well.

But all will be in HD - or at least they will if you have Freesat.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

But all will be in HD - or at least they will if you have Freesat.:)

If you have Sky you can add ITV HD under 'other channels' - pain to record from though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

If you have Sky you can add ITV HD under 'other channels' - pain to record from though.

Well that's why I brought a Freesat box to avoid that cocking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,293 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

In that case you might as well remove ads from RTE, make it an exclusively 'worthy' public service broadcaster and reduce it to one part-time TV channel and one radio channel.

Because commercial stations are willing to show anything else.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

I would extend this principle to all categories of output.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

what really pi$$es me off is they pay to show Eastenders, when the BBC show it at the same time, minus the ads!!

talk about a waste of money!! money that would be well spent on homegrown talent. (I don't watch Fair City, it looks crap the odd time I flick past it, but surely it would/could benefit from a few extra quid in the budget?)

And don't tell me its for the country folk etc... as it's easier now to get BBC in some places than it is to get RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Why ?

The rights are in someway offset by the advertising money they receive and leads to a better quality viewing product. Infact because RTE is limited by advertising minutage, it means that we are not subjected to what is complete joke of what TV3 try and cram into any one hour. I would say their head of TV Sport is gutted as he was the voice of Irish Rugby coverage.

RTE also do sport quite well and provide it FTA in HD unlike TV3 who do not.

Oh and by the way, TV3 (a commercial company) was bailed out by the taxpayer, when owned by a large private equity company. 81 million written off and another 70 million written down in that the company that owned TV3 were allowed to buy back there own loans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

An article in the sunday times states that TV3 paid almost twice what RTE paid for their current contract.

And for what?

Assuming it will be similar to the world cup, Almost twice as many ads, SD quality on saorview and below par studio chat.

what really pi$$es me off is they pay to show Eastenders, when the BBC show it at the same time, minus the ads!!

talk about a waste of money!! money that would be well spent on homegrown talent. (I don't watch Fair City, it looks crap the odd time I flick past it, but surely it would/could benefit from a few extra quid in the budget?)

And don't tell me its for the country folk etc... as it's easier now to get BBC in some places than it is to get RTE.

As much as it pisses you off RTE One still gets 250,000 plus viewers for it even with the ads. Fair City seems to be doing ok too even with their current budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

BBC is for the UK, RTE is for the Republic of ireland. It's a pointless complaint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

What's more galling is that RTE have cut back their sports coverage to the bare bones,they got rid of the EPL highlights to save a few bob.They seem to be the ultimate cheapskates when bidding for rights and now even what was once their jewel in the crown-GAA isn't exclusive to them.

They seem more interested in paying their 2nd rate 'celebs' astronomical wages for rubbish tv shows.Public service broadcasting me hole.

I'll be honest and say that I watched no WC Rugby on TV3,SD picture,too many ads so I watched it on ITV1 and ITV4 in HD.

Advertisement