Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mandela effect

Options
  • 09-11-2015 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I have been reading about the Mandela effect on the internet, people have memories of happenings in the past which are different from what is recorded that did happen, names of TV shows are different than what people remember for example 'sex in the city' is now sex and the city , the film interview with a vampire is now ' interview with the vampire'.
    The locations of countries are different, I remember New Zealand being SW of Australia, it is now SE of Australia , thousands of miles from where I remember it on maps from years ago .
    I think some people have been somehow moved to a parallel universe and there is people from different parallel universes here in this one because they have different memories, there are a few different locations that people remember New Zealand being in .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I think its just incorrect memories. the Mandela effect is something made up by Fiona Broome. its basically something someone said and not actually based on any kind of research at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

also, i think people are a bit confused about parallell universes. quantum physics says atoms can be in two places at once - which technically means you could have more than one universe or reality. it doesnt mean though that every single atom in one place is the same as every single atom in the other. in this reality, my atoms would make me - but those same atoms could be part of many different things in an alternate universe. therefore theres nothing to back the idea that alternate universes will have any kind of similarity at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Allan Blandford

Looking at world maps on the internet has me convinced that the Mandela effect is true, the maps are just wrong, this is a different world from the one I was in years ago, the world has felt different to me since about 2008 .

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

It was always sex and the city. It was always interview with the vampire. Things just get changed as they get repeated.

Is it possible for me to get back to my home universe ?

• Advertisement

I am absolutely certain at this stage that I am not from this universe, I do not know how I got here but I really want to get back to my own world. Please help me .

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I have a friend who insists the scary pepperpots in dr who were called 'darlicks'. Turns out lots of people think this. If a mistake is easy to make it'll be easily made by lots of people.

A lot more dubs, for example, think the big book shop on O'Connell Street is called Eason's than know it's called Eason. It's not an 'effect'. It's just a thing.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

eat some magic mushrooms, be grand

I am absolutely certain at this stage that I am not from this universe, I do not know how I got here but I really want to get back to my own world. Please help me .

Spin around three times on the 42nd of Junetober next year while holding your nose.

Be grand.

Be grander my way.

• Advertisement

the earth is flat

XR3i wrote: »
    the earth is flat

It's turtles all the way down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Mod: Can we get back on topic now please, any more silliness or acting the fool will result in warnings/infractions/bans. This thread is to discuss the so caled Mandela Effect, it's not a place to practice your stand up routine.

endacl wrote: »
    I have a friend who insists the scary pepperpots in dr who were called 'darlicks'. Turns out lots of people think this. If a mistake is easy to make it'll be easily made by lots of people.

A lot more dubs, for example, think the big book shop on O'Connell Street is called Eason's than know it's called Eason. It's not an 'effect'. It's just a thing.

If people remember it was Easons then that could be a Mandela effect if it is called Eason in this universe
    I remember that book shop as Easons, also the fast food chain 'McDonalds' I clearly remember as MacDonalds in the universe I am from .
    If you could show some people in Dublin a map of the world they could become freaked out or think you are showing them a fake map, because some of them will have clear memories of a different world, try showing those who really were into geography in school because those people will readily notice the differences .

Four fifths of the earth that I came from is covered with oceans, on this earth only three quarters of it is oceans !
    I noticed in studying the world maps of this world that there is an awful lot of land, the amount of land was not this much on my earth, the countries were smaller, some of the countries were bigger, China was much bigger, on this earth Africa is oversize and it has Europe distorted into an odd shape, Spain does not curve out that far into the Atlantic ocean on my earth .

OK...

Now Australia looks completely different on this Earth, on my earth there is no spike on the north of it, the northern part is completely flat and there is absolutely no countries or land masses anywhere near the north of Australia, there is only ocean, thousands of miles of ocean with no land whatsoever
    But on this Earth there is land masses north of Australia and Australia does not even look anywhere near like the Australia on the Earth that I come from.

mandela was under-rated in his time

how did he hold south africa together

Now Australia looks completely different on this Earth, on my earth there is no spike on the north of it, the northern part is completely flat and there is absolutely no countries or land masses anywhere near the north of Australia, there is only ocean, thousands of miles of ocean with no land whatsoever
    But on this Earth there is land masses north of Australia and Australia does not even look anywhere near like the Australia on the Earth that I come from.

We've only your word for that. How do we know you're not making all of this up?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

The problem is for the theory to stand you have to take memories as factual records of the way things were or are in another dimension. While memory is very subjective and can be influenced by many factors, no two memories people have of a given situation are absolutely identical.
    re: maps, maps have changed an awful lot over the years and have become more detailed, Africa has always been portrayed as much smaller than it actually is and although it's being represented much fairer now perhaps your memory reflects an older map, or one less detailed (re Australia and Spain).
    Once we learn something one way we take that to be fact and its very hard to unlearn it but it doesn't mean the learned memory is actually the way it is or was.

• Advertisement

Well, I am willing to take a lie detector test.

You could look at a world map and see if it looks different from what you thought it should have looked like, I am not the only one who has been transferred here from another earth in a parallel universe, I suspect there could be millions of us here from the other universe, who transferred us here and why I do not know, but it has been done.

Lie detector tests only test what you believe to be true not what actually is true. There is a difference.Many people in medieval times would have passed a lie detector if there were such a thing) to say their earth is flat it doesn't mean it is.

You could look at a world map and see if it looks different from what you thought it should have looked like, I am not the only one who has been transferred here from another earth in a parallel universe, I suspect there could be millions of us here from the other universe, who transferred us here and why I do not know, but it has been done.

To accept that though you have to discount the much more mundane explanation of simply remembering something wrong. It's happened to me on occasion, where I say "I could have swore this used to be X instead of Y", but the obvious and rational explanation is that memory is far from infallible.

Honestly every time I look at a world map I always find something to surprise me a country in a place I Never expected etc. I didn't even know central America existed until I was 16 when I bought my own world map (the one in school was old and not very clear) that doesn't mean that I come from a universe in which it didn't exist, in my head at the time north and south were connected and albumin the countries in central America were spread between south America and the middle east but genuinely I'm just terrible at geography.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

Obligatory West Wing clip

<snip>

Mod: Contribute or don't post please.

Rachiee wrote: »
    Honestly every time I look at a world map I always find something to surprise me a country in a place I Never expected etc. I didn't even know central America existed until I was 16 when I bought my own world map (the one in school was old and not very clear) that doesn't mean that I come from a universe in which it didn't exist, in my head at the time north and south were connected and albumin the countries in central America were spread between south America and the middle east but genuinely I'm just terrible at geography.

On the earth I come from you probably would not be confused about where Australia is because it is completely isolated and on its own, it is unmissable where it is, the nearest land to it is thousands of miles away, and this is the reason it was used on the Earth that I come from as a penal colony hundreds of years ago, criminals from Europe were sent to Australia because they would never get back home unless they had a ship which would be unlikely, but the Australia here on this earth it looks like you could escape back to Europe on a small rowing boat !

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

How do you know youre not simply mistaken? Remembering things incorrectly?

Obligatory West Wing clip

<snip>

Mod: Contribute or don't post please.

I watched the video and two minutes and seventeen seconds into the video Australia starts to look the way it should from what I remember and then about four or five seconds later it jumps back to how Australia looks today, that is very strange. How would the makers of that programme know unless they have memories of a different Earth and they are trying to tell us about it, and the character even talks about having a different memory of what it looks like !

• Advertisement

I watched the video and two minutes and seventeen seconds into the video Australia starts to look the way it should from what I remember and then about four or five seconds later it jumps back to how Australia looks today, that is very strange. How would the makers of that programme know unless they have memories of a different Earth and they are trying to tell us about it, and the character even talks about having a different memory of what it looks like !

No, it's showing a map made five hundred years ago (without the aid of modern technology), compared to a more modern representative map. The video is here, but is quite self explanatory

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement