Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IWC Pilot alternative

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Not used, but has been on display, 'demo' model I suppose you could call it. In USA, not sure what import tax to middle East would be like, no price given, but similar new ones are around 3.2k

https://www.chrono24.com/en/iwc/pilot-collectionmark-xvii-stainless-steel-41mm--id2669930.htm

If he wants an IWC and if the ppl there are as snobby/knowledgable about their watches as you have said, then I think the lad is at nothing with a watch that looks like an IWC. Wibbs suggested a vintage Heur, is vintage a big no no out there?

Over rated ETA movement perhaps? http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?347638-IWC-Pilot-s-Watch-Mark-XVII-calibre-30110-automatic-movement

I saw a similar thread on a different forum and the lad was getting slated, I'll try find a link. (I hope it wasn't you:eek:)

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/watch-impress-business-meetings-newbie-advice-2508234.html

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

blue5000 wrote: »
    Not used, but has been on display, 'demo' model I suppose you could call it. In USA, not sure what import tax to middle East would be like, no price given, but similar new ones are around 3.2k

https://www.chrono24.com/en/iwc/pilot-collectionmark-xvii-stainless-steel-41mm--id2669930.htm

If he wants an IWC and if the ppl there are as snobby/knowledgable about their watches as you have said, then I think the lad is at nothing with a watch that looks like an IWC. Wibbs suggested a vintage Heur, is vintage a big no no out there?

Over rated ETA movement perhaps? http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?347638-IWC-Pilot-s-Watch-Mark-XVII-calibre-30110-automatic-movement

I saw a similar thread on a different forum and the lad was getting slated, I'll try find a link. (I hope it wasn't you:eek:)

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/watch-impress-business-meetings-newbie-advice-2508234.html

Thanks for your response blue5000, I think we're all here to talk about an interest in watches, which can always be seen as snobby in some way.

However, I didn't use that term. I mentioned that a nice timepiece represented an individuals maturity, taste, style & personality. But it also represents your position at the table (so to speak) in a country where allot of people have an interest in quality timepieces irrespective of price. This is a region without a depth of history, there are no antiques, old buildings, old cars, things with natural patina, so a pre owned watch is not as appealing. It is a place where we are surrounded by new and shiny things and as a result of living in that environment there is a lack of the type of earthiness you experience in Ireland. I am not considered a high earner here, but when I go into a meeting I act in a certain way & I like to reflect that in my attire, which includes the watch I wear on my wrist.

The fact of the matter is that obscure brands are less appealing to those who are not collectors here... I suppose its the same way you don't want to buy an unknown brand Chinese smartphone, unless you are in the know. It may do all you need, but you wouldn't have confidence in making the purchase.

This thread isn't about pretending to have an IWC to impress people, it is about finding a watch that has a certain style, brand recognition & quality. I was looking for an education here & a bit of camaraderie for a novice with an interest in watches... I received very good advice from most here & yes, brand recognition is important. Brands work hard on quality, customer service and technology in order to build positive brand recognition & that is why people buy into them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's a tough one BF. Basically the chap is constrained by three things; a budget of around 2 K, a locally recognisable brand and it must be new. He'll have to work back from that point. Given you've mentioned that Tissot are a locally recognised brand, are within his budget and he can buy one new, I reckon that's what he should concentrate on. Others like Longines could be in the mix. IMH Omega not so much as you get less bang for the buck because of their rising prices over the last decade. You mentioned Baume and Mercier and personally I don't rate them much(and they were always niche even in vintage terms), but if they have the local recognition they might be in the game too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Agreed Wibbs. As I said earlier, I think he should either increase his budget, or wait until he's in a position to increase his budget. I think he'll be disappointed if he spends 2000 on a watch he's not as enthusiastic about.

I can't believe I'm putting so much effort into someone elses purchase :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Would Fortis be a "recognised brand" at the bored-room table?

They certainly have the history, the right type of watches and on some models the 2k (or lower) price tag as well.

http://www.fortis-swiss.com/cosmonautis/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

If you're saying that Tissot carries a good bit of brand recognition in the middle east then you could do a lot worse than go for a watch I bought earlier in the year, i.e. PRC 200 automatic chronograph as an interim purchase before something more extravagant down the line....its a big chunky solid watch which I think is impressive for the price, i.e. around €800....I posted a picture of it when I got it back in jan/feb if you want to take a look..there a crowd also that goes by the name of Royal Trade based in Italy on Chrono24 that does Tag aquaracers 300mm chrono quartz for 1300 plus 120 delivery that caught my eye also....2k whilst a good budget for most, from my research is a bit limited unless you go 2nd hand for the type of watch being discussed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Agreed Wibbs. As I said earlier, I think he should either increase his budget, or wait until he's in a position to increase his budget. I think he'll be disappointed if he spends 2000 on a watch he's not as enthusiastic about.

I can't believe I'm putting so much effort into someone elses purchase :rolleyes:

You're in the watches and timepieces forum, we all knew from your first post that this was for you and not your "friend" ;)

Your secret is safe with us :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

We all do it to some extent but the idea of buying a watch solely for brand cachet kinda sets my teeth on edge. I think the only 'big name' watch brand that your friend is going to be able to afford with €2,000 new is Longines. Baume & Mercier always struck me as a fairly bland, middle of the road brand that make ok looking watches that would bore you to tears within a week of buying them.

The Longines Heritage Diver 1967 has an RRP of about $3,000 but you should be able to get it for less than that. Stunning looking watch.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Thanks for your response blue5000, I think we're all here to talk about an interest in watches, which can always be seen as snobby in some way.

However, I didn't use that term. I mentioned that a nice timepiece represented an individuals maturity, taste, style & personality. But it also represents your position at the table (so to speak) in a country where allot of people have an interest in quality timepieces irrespective of price. This is a region without a depth of history, there are no antiques, old buildings, old cars, things with natural patina, so a pre owned watch is not as appealing. It is a place where we are surrounded by new and shiny things and as a result of living in that environment there is a lack of the type of earthiness you experience in Ireland. I am not considered a high earner here, but when I go into a meeting I act in a certain way & I like to reflect that in my attire, which includes the watch I wear on my wrist.

The fact of the matter is that obscure brands are less appealing to those who are not collectors here... I suppose its the same way you don't want to buy an unknown brand Chinese smartphone, unless you are in the know. It may do all you need, but you wouldn't have confidence in making the purchase.

This thread isn't about pretending to have an IWC to impress people, it is about finding a watch that has a certain style, brand recognition & quality. I was looking for an education here & a bit of camaraderie for a novice with an interest in watches... I received very good advice from most here & yes, brand recognition is important. Brands work hard on quality, customer service and technology in order to build positive brand recognition & that is why people buy into them.

Sorry bluefoam, I'm totally ignorant of how things are done in the middle east, everything being new etc. suggests to me that you might be living and working in Dubai where there seems to be a lot of 'new' money circulating. Here in Ireland I reckon only 10% of the male adult population wear a watch every day.
    So I would share the opinion of others; 2k budget, recognisable brand and has to be new, Longines would be my choice, perhaps something from their heritage collection. But I'd be very slow to spend >€1500 on an ETA movement.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

Lex Luthor wrote: »

I was in a similar "pickle" when looking at a pilot watch. I could have gone for the IWC but instead went with this Stowa Flieger Chrono. I find it to be more versatile than the IWC as the dial is less cluttered. The leather strap that comes with it, as per the picture, is wonderful. I swapped it out recently for a perlon strap and now like it even more. The brand might not be recognizable among the PP, AP, etc crew, but wearing this watch in high-end stores, it always gets attention from the staff.

(I also live in the Middle East; last night, when waiting for a sandwich, I spotted two chaps; one with an AP Royal Oak and the other with an AP Royal Oak Offshore Chrono (in rose gold). Par for the course :rolleyes::) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Maybe its time to start educating these people there is a world outside the chosen few they seem to be sticking with

I'm not sure they need educating... They are happy out. Why do they need to discover something different? Surely that's for people with a more specific interest in watches...

I'd say time would be better spent educating the 90% of Irish people who don't wear any watch

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Different cultures.

In some parts of Ireland people are often expected to dress down and a nice watch might be seen as ostentatious or showing off. I'll admit that I try to keep mine tucked into my sleeve here most of the time.*

In some parts of Asia people are expected to wear their success on their sleeve so to speak. Nothing wrong with it, just the expected way of doing business etc.*

(* A generalisation, yes. And only from observation after having spent a reasonable amount of time in both cultures.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I'm not sure they need educating... They are happy out. Why do they need to discover something different? Surely that's for people with a more specific interest in watches...

I'd say time would be better spent educating the 90% of Irish people who don't wear any watch

ya but if they have an interest in watches, then would it not be good to expose them to other brands of good quality and value for money?

I'm wasting my time talking to the general public and friends about the merits and pleasure of having a nice watch. I'd rather have a conversation with an enthusiast and expose them to other brands...

Advertisement