Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slammin Sam head back to League

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Understandably bitter from Ford. All the hard work gone to nothing. Still can't blame Burgess for not wanting to risk his best years in an uncertain future.

Haven't seen any reports that the RFU gave him to Bath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Understandably bitter from Ford. All the hard work gone to nothing. Still can't blame Burgess for not wanting to risk his best years in an uncertain future.

Didn't word it correctly, the RFU wanted him and there were moves to get him over and pay his transfer fee, so he could join Bath. Seems many clubs didn't like this idea, and also that they were not approached about signing him, so a bit of a furore ensued with the clubs and the RFU pied out of the transfer payment to stop a little revolution.
    Again, with every passing day , more stories are coming out, I'm hoping the internal review is not a whitewash

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

Has anyone reported this?

That was the version of events as commonly reported at the time; that the RFU were the prime movers in Burgess coming to union and that Bath only really came into it once the RFU was looking for somewhere to play. Since then, there have been suggestions this is not entirely true, but only suggestions; there have also been suggestions that the RFU were far more involved in getting him over.

Was also reported that the RFU were set to pay his transfer fee until the rest of the AP were all "Yer what?"

I suspect we may never know the full truth on this one.

I suppose I can't blame him for not wanting to risk his best years, but I can blame him for saying he would and then backing out.

Advertisement