Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime Time: Ireland's Call - Tonight at 22:35 p.m. (RTE & BBC 1 NI)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

99% of Northern Catholics have been to the Republic......Anyone ever been to Bundoran around the 12th of July :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Brian017

Berserker wrote: »
    This is getting silly now. What did the lad from NI who hasn't been down want to see? Couldn't understand his accent.

The erectis apparently :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

No doubting there is many from the north who come now here to work and take all that money back up north.

And don't return the favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

And who the fuk is Miriam? Some politician down South?

Miriam O'Callaghan is a TV presenter from the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

CatFromHue wrote: »
    99% of Northern Catholics have been to the Republic......Anyone ever been to Bundoran around the 12th of July :P

Forgot that there is a mass exodus for the 12th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

RobertKK wrote: »
    I have never been to NI, had no need to.

Go up there weekly for work. It's grand. Load of tosh spilled down here by the Shiners etc about Unionists having issues with people from here. They are sound.
    Who would they think would pay for it?!

SF's magic money tree.

Who watches tv nowadays, let alone sitting and commenting about what they're currently watching to people they don't know on messageboards? Embarrassing.

Also I definitely expect to see unbiased results from an RTE and BBC production, not even going to bother finding out what they are.

And who the fuk is Miriam? Some politician down South? I don't give the slightest of fukks about down there so sorry for my lack of knowledge.

Miriam is Ian Paisley's lovechild.

Go up there weekly for work. It's grand. Load of tosh spilled down here by the Shiners etc about Unionists having issues with people from here. They are sound.

Oh I have no problem with the people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Stephen is great. Legend up north.
    May be big up north but nothing at all down south of the border
    NIMAN wrote: »
    He's not really. He's Marmite. Personally I like him.

I think he is dying to go off on one tonight with some of his guests, but is reigning himself in as he wants to come across as a serious presenter when up against Miriam. Miriam looking very shaky tonight. Why is she nervous?
    Miriam is afraid that her head will one day be as big as nolans.

Show is an unmitigated flop, waste of my licence money! just another chance for fine geal/RTE to stick the knife into the shinners
    briany wrote: »
    This is something that's bothered me for years: is there a difference in the sound quality between BBC and RTE? RTE always sounds tinnier to me, or like there's a bit of a draught in the studio.
    There is a mad delay on the audio feed in the RTE studios but Nolan must be using telepathy cos there's no delay up north!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

A United Ireland won't be happening anytime this century.

Outside of the hardliners nobody really wants it, or is prepared to pay for it, North or South.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭TommyRiordan

CatFromHue wrote: »

Donegal is so poverty stricken it's not even funny, they need all the money they can get so they should be thankful, no wonder half the car registrations in Derry are from Donegal. Only time I went to Donegal I went out in Letterkenny and saw fully grown men fighting bottling each other. I've been out 100s of times and never see fighting not to mention fully grown men fight. In fact in all my experiences down in the Republic I have always seen third-world-like poverty and scumbaggery from the population.

In fact in all my experiences down in the Republic I have always seen third-world-like poverty and scumbaggery from the population.

ROIs GDP per capita is almost double that of Norn Iron.

Nice try.

ROIs per capita GDP is almost double that of Norn Iron.

Nice try.

I think you mean GDP per capita you fukkin nonce. And you were made a complete fool out of, I'd say there's a lot more rich people in the Republic because you get fukked over and do nothing while the wealth is more spread out here. Btw GDP per capita is a laughable metric to go by. Tell me where is thriving down South?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Tone it down please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

PressRun wrote: »
    14 years in prison for abortion is "addressing the issue". Brain dead.

People mightn't like how it was addressed but it was addressed.

Who the hell is Stephen Nolan? What's his listenership? How much is he paid? How many kids did he have? Our Miriam wins hands down on all the above :)

I'd say there's a lot more rich people in the Republic
    Probably.....
    wealth is more spread out here.
    Well, that's debatable.... And spreading meagre wealth leaves everyone poor!
    GDP per capita is a laughable metric to go by.
    Every wealth statistic plaves ROI far ahead of NI
    Tell me where is thriving down South?
    Lots of places are!
    I can say with certainty my home county of Wicklow is, as are its neighbours.

I can't say the same for the fleg burning armpit to the north of the island!

Addressing the GDP per capita issue raised earlier:
    blogs[]ft[]com/ftdata/2015/05/13/ireland-is-the-wealthiest-economy-in-europe-or-not/

Never are statistics posted in this forum. No wonder you guys are led by BBC votes. True anti-intellectuals.

You can go to town on us here all you like but say anything back and you get warnings. Absolute joke of a forum and if this is the how the public act down south, there's reasons far more than financial benefits we would want nothing to do with you.

Signing out and won't be paying attention to you lot again for another 20 years or so like I did before this year. Mods remove my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

If anyone cares, there is a link to download the full survey data on Stephen Nolan's BBC page now (9.1 MB)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06n481y

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭GaryTLynch

This is getting silly now. What did the lad from NI who hasn't been down want to see? Couldn't understand his accent.
    The 'Erectus', apparently. Maybe he meant the Oireachtas, or possibly the Spire?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭briany

GaryTLynch wrote: »
    The 'Erectus', apparently. Maybe he meant the Oireachtas, or possibly the Spire?

I thought he said Arachtas, conjuring images of a parliament of giant spiders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

What is wrong with Miriam, all she is trying to push in this interview is was he arrogant and likable, when in contrast the man is giving an outstanding insight into economics and politics 101.

Horrible interview, could have been fantastic if she had a brain.

Seems like he did want their money, just a restructuring of the bail out to allow it to be paid back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

What is wrong with Miriam, all she is trying to push in this interview is was he arrogant and likable, when in contrast the man is giving an outstanding insight into economics and politics 101.

Horrible interview, could have been fantastic if she had a brain.

Seems like he did want their money, just a restructuring of the bail out to allow it to be paid back.
    She got crucified. Embarrassing interview. She just wanted to talk about personality, as if anybody at the EU or watching cares about that.
    And she probably gets paid 3 or 4 times what he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Also I definitely expect to see unbiased results from an RTE and BBC production, not even going to bother finding out what they are.
    If one was wondering if the survey results were good or bad for SF (and their "berder pell naw!" narrative, especially), one would just need to listen to the SF reaction. They didn't like the question, they think there's some broadcaster bias to the results (... that were produced by an independent polling organisation...), there's some great big plot behind the fact that some of the rounded numbers on the Big Simplified Powerpoint Graphics don't sum to 100%, they don't even want to hear what the results were.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,277 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think SF have played the game all along, including abandoning the gun, assuming that once 51% of the population of NI was Catholic/Nationalist/Green etc, then we'd have a UI shortly after.

Looks like its back to the drawing board, although more of those on that side are unionist than people think.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    It's only 1000 people. Small enough survey.
    1000 people is the typical size used in just about every opinion poll conducted by the organisations. Yields a sampling error of +/-3%. When you see an OP on voting intention and see (or overlook) it done on exactly the same basis, are you similarly dismissive?

Mind you, not every such poll gets made into an hour a quarter shouty cross-border TV programme. Perhaps wouldn't have killed them to use a bigger sample size, which would have had the benefit of giving them maintained margins on the "by community" breakdowns, and so on.
    Did they give any info on the demographics included?
    The complete detail is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,277 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

MOC is not suited to these type of debates, better for her chat show series talking fashion etc to z-list celebs.

Pretty conservative result for the abortion one. I expected the 'always' category to be higher in the south.

The categories are rather lumpy in this one. Really needs its own series of questions on the detail. "Always" and "never" describe what, one country each in the entire developed world? Lot of ground and variation in "sometimes".

I like Nolan. He savages them.

I admit there was a brief pleasure to be had from when Pearse tried to get all shouty and northern. Nolan pretty much shouted him down by being even more shouty and northern. And when he shouted at Foster for her weaselly nonsense on (lack of) marriage equality and abuse of the petition of concern mechanism. But it got pretty old pretty quick.

jmayo wrote: »
    How many times are politicians accused of refusing to answer a question. Well for once one of them and did just that and he is being lambasted.

Mind you, he did have a good go at not answering it. Then folded when Nolan shouted at him a bit louder. (I think I'm seeing his pattern, here, subtle and all as it is.) You'd maybe have a bit more respect for him if either he just came out with a straight answer of his own accord, or actually succeeding in straight-batting it, as he evidently intended to.

What use to anyone is a bluffer that's not very good at bluffing?

• Advertisement

PressRun wrote: »
    Tbh, I've never really understood people who take glee in the idea of 'defeating' the possibility of a United Ireland just to get one up on republicans. I'd like to think people would approach the issue with a bit more maturity and consideration.

It would make more sense to comprehensively politically defeat SF, the better to advance the long-term prospects for a united Ireland.

Advertisement