Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audax Rides

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

Agree with Ford 2600 down with that type of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

I know Audaxers are a tough bunch but what happens if the official event cant go ahead (this Sunday) due to the snow (billed as being worse than 2010) that we are forecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

caterpillar-track-snow-bicy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I know Audaxers are a tough bunch but what happens if the official event cant go ahead (this Sunday) due to the snow (billed as being worse than 2010) that we are forecast?

I think you'll find it's 'worst since' rather than 'worse than' which will be quite a different kettle of fish.

That said, if the event cannot go ahead, it's cancelled, not postponed.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I think you'll find it's 'worst since' rather than 'worse than' which will be quite a different kettle of fish.

That said, if the event cannot go ahead, it's cancelled, not postponed.

:eek: You knew what I meant no need to be a smart arse CDALY this time of a MONDAY morning. Good day to you:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

:eek: You knew what I meant no need to be a smart arse CDALY this time of a MONDAY morning. Good day to you:rolleyes:
    Ah, but did you?...

Ah, but did you?...

:( What age are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Lads, please. No need for this.

Alek wrote: »
    Lads, please. No need for this.

Agreed totally Alek but c_daly seems to have a problem having never met him in person Im slightly confused to his response.

Mod note: no bickering please, this is a nice thread full of nice people *insert meme here* But seriously nee

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...That said, if the event cannot go ahead, it's cancelled, not postponed.
    The Angel of Mons was postponed several times a few years ago due to severe frost but not cancelled (2014 possibly?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

The Angel of Mons was postponed several times a few years ago due to severe frost but not cancelled (2014 possibly?).

I remember that (January 2015 from memory) - ended up being postponed a couple of times into February (although counted as January for RRTY purposes)

I remember that but, subsequently, the concern arose that the CI insurance for an event was specific to the date registered for it and was not transferrable. IIRC, the committee decided that an event could not be postponed.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭guanciale

Hopefully the Orwell ride will go ahead as I need the kms in the legs.
    Given the weather expected a later start than 7am might be worthwhile.

If it cant go ahead I am hoping to do some if not all of the Ling Heron on my CX bike - but that depends on weather also.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

I remember that but, subsequently, the concern arose that the CI insurance for an event was specific to the date registered for it and was not transferrable. IIRC, the committee decided that an event could not be postponed.

Would it not become a quasi permanent for CI purposes?

I don't think so. You'd have to read the rules to be sure but a ride must be already designated as a permanent before it may be ridden as such and there are issues like notifying the organiser of when you plan to ride to consider also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Would it not become a quasi permanent for CI purposes?
    I don't think so. You'd have to read the rules to be sure but a ride must be already designated as a permanent before it may be ridden as such and there are issues like notifying the organiser of when you plan to ride to consider also.

It would be looked as an organised ride under CI, so long as the organiser was notified and agreed to its running, there would be no issue with CI insurance as it would, on paper, be no different than a club spin. In reality it would be a much more audacious task.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

As expected - it's cancelled.

Hi all,

Unfortunately we have had to make the decision to cancel this year’s Orwell 200, in light of the deteriorating weather situation on significant parts of the route. This isn’t a decision we have made lightly, but it is now clear that much of the route will not be safe to cycle by Sunday.

We are currently looking at our options for transferring entries or providing refunds and will get back on to you as soon as possible about that.

We hope you all have a safe weekend wherever you are, whether you get out on the bike or not.

Regards,

The organising committee

My first audax event was cancelled due to freezing temperatures and the organiser explaining he could not in good conscience allow it to go ahead. Of the 6 people who were at the Centra in Bray, 6 people venture into Wicklow like lunatics. It was an unpleasant experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

CramCycle wrote: »
    My first audax event was cancelled due to freezing temperatures and the organiser explaining he could not in good conscience allow it to go ahead. Of the 6 people who were at the Centra in Bray, 6 people venture into Wicklow like lunatics. It was an unpleasant experience.

Did you finish it!?

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    Did you finish it!?

Not even close

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Have to this weekend's run goes more smoothly. Sunny Ashbourne...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Oh very interesting. Must give them a shot over the summer.

The Excelsior one looks rough!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Excelsior... me likes!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭devonp

Grassey wrote: »
    The Excelsior one looks rough!

a training cycle for the EVIL :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Or the Fleche.

devonp wrote: »
    a training cycle for the EVIL :p

Right... so the plan is:

Friday - Excelsior
    Sat - Evil 200
    Sun - W200
    Mon - Coastal Classic warmdown

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Wonder if we could submit the Evil as a Permanent?

The 2016 route, not the easy versions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

You possibly could submit it as a permanent. Just looking at this year's route it's no worse than the Excelsior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭guanciale

Given that it covers many of the same roads and climbs it is questionable as to whether it should be a permanent?
    I have an allergy to climbing and a severe allergy to steep climbs.

Advertisement