Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audax Rides

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭nilhg

True, kinda like a flat everesting without the descents. ��

I did an easy spin around the route on Sunday in the wind, lets just say that if it's windy on the 21st/22nd July your everesting analogy might not be too far off the mark :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Carlingford 300 on Saturday. Lovely day, lovely ride. NI roads were very busy with loads of really polite drivers.

The sun followed me around as I rode first North, then East, then South so I have a lovely farmer's tan on one side of my right arm and leg and pasty white left side!

Driving home from Stamullen, the lightning in the south made for a great light show...

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Lewotsil

@cdaly_ given you mentioned Metallica at some stage on the route we should have given 'Ride the Lightening' a go....... I had never seen a show like that in Ireland before. 
    Carlingford 300 is a brilliant route - has a bit of everything ......... the Mournes were very scenic but there was a lot of roadside litter (empty cans of Red Bull were like 50m markers) ......... it was nearly as bad climbing out of Omeath up to the Windy Gap which has class views too - I was rubber necking to soak it in.
    I noticed the drivers in the North was very courteous too.   

Ps - no bike shop in Carrickmackross or Castleblaney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

If anyone wants to read what it was like to ride the Super Randonnee, I've written about it on the Audax Ireland website.

http://www.audaxireland.org/2018/05/cambrian-6c-day-1-and-day-1/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Anyone know anything about the Midlands 300? In particular, does it (like the Orwell 200) use a lot of relatively main roads, or does it creep off onto side roads? I found the 200 fast (too fast for me, I blame the other guy), but dull... 300k of main roads might be just too much...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

Some of it on old ex N4 and N7 but nice quiet bits as well in sliabh blooms in laois offaly even the old N roads are quite so overall IMO a very doable and enjoyable 300. Also lotsa places to grab a cuppa or a bite to eat so good that way. e.g. kinnegad moate athlone ballinahown birr portlaoise and all towns on old N7

I rode the Midlands 300 in 2015. It is easy to navigate and it can be fast depending on the wind direction. Slogging into the headwind on the way to Birr was a particular low point. It's not the most imaginative 300 but it serves a purpose and it's good if it's your first 300.

As Brownian says there are lots of places to stop and the navigation is easy. Remember you have 20 hours for a 300.

I should be out for this year's edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Thinking of following up the Mick Byrne 200 with another go. I gather it was more supported than most, but how minimal is the support at a normal audax? Totally self sufficient for food and water or generally stuff at controls? Thinking of the Audare 200...

It depends.

Some are totally self-supported but there are plenty of petrol station forecourts and small cafés. It's not as if you're going to the Arctic.

Usually it says on the web page of the ride if there is support.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Lewotsil

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Thinking of following up the Mick Byrne 200 with another go. I gather it was more supported than most, but how minimal is the support at a normal audax? Totally self sufficient for food and water or generally stuff at controls? Thinking of the Audare 200...
    Did the Audare 200 in 2016 or 2015 ......... only black spots in  terms of food would be Glin - Ballybunion and Abbeyfeale - Newmarket......it is a lovely route ........ could be improved with a slight detour off the Coast Road after Asdee to take in Béal Head............... if not already done in the interim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Anyone planning to do the Priests Leap Devil's Elbow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Transatlantic way race starting tomorrow, 2500km - Dublin to Cork via Derry along along the transatlantic way. Best of luck to all involved

This is the full write up of the Super Randonnee in Wales. It was tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭py

That does look like a tough write up, the cycle sounds much easier :pac:

Edit: great write up and fantastic achievement.

Rode the Kings Mountain 200 yesterday in company with Paul Newman. Lovely day though the warm southerly headwind in the final 50k was a mixed blessing.

Great company, the chat made the kms disappear.

Month 11 of an RRTY complete...

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭paul a newman

i heard the worst collection of Mother in Law jokes on those 11 hours....

Who's out for the "No lump!" Midlands 300 tomorrow. I'll be there, it starts about 3km away from my house!

Is there a 24hrTT thread or can we chat about it here?

I rode the TT route today in the company of a club mate who's also doing the event. It's not flat. Plenty of "French flat on one side of the course and lumpy on the other. Headwind will definitely be an issue and there is no hard shoulder for long stretches of the course.

Roll on the 21st.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1702496821

Just signed up for Ronnie's Trench Eyre 400 as my last ride of an RRTY. 400km with 102km off-road setting off on 28th July. That should work out nicely...

Anyone else riding this?

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Just signed up for Ronnie's Trench Eyre 400 as my last ride of an RRTY. 400km with 102km off-road setting off on 28th July. That should work out nicely...

Anyone else riding this?

Yes I'll be there with my water wings strapped onto the bike. That's if I have any legs left after the TT.

• Advertisement

http://audax24hour.com/information-tips/riders-numbers-and-start-times/

I'm the only woman riding the 24 Hour TT. Say Hi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

cdaly_ wrote: »

Anyone else riding this?

Yep, see you there

Will be volunteering for most of it, looking forward to seeing it live.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭nilhg

I will, I'm off a bit before you but I'm sure our paths will cross.

I never thought the simple act of riding around in circles for a day would take so much organisation but there you go, you learn something new everyday and I'm sure I'll learn some more before the weekend is out.....

nilhg wrote: »
    I will, I'm off a bit before you but I'm sure our paths will cross.

I never thought the simple act of riding around in circles for a day would take so much organisation but there you go, you learn something new everyday and I'm sure I'll learn some more before the weekend is out.....

I'll be seeing your backside more than once!

http://live.primaltracking.com/24hourTT/

For anyone who fancies some dot watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

py wrote: »
    http://live.primaltracking.com/24hourTT/

For anyone who fancies some dot watching.

A bit light on info, just shows where they are now, not how far they have gone, what avg speed etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'd forgotten this was on today and it was only after a few minutes after getting a shout from Paul Newman when cycling up the R448 that the penny dropped. I was initially wondering why he was standing around in the middle of nowhere! :)

Good luck to all involved.

2 riders are on 5th lap, most on their 4th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

py wrote: »
    2 riders are on 5th lap, most on their 4th.

How many kilometres in a lap?

Advertisement