Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Year That Was 2015

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

- Out-driving a 1 handicapper several times in competition this year who is a notorious big hitter

Driving greens 3 times downwind and making birdies eagles afterwards

Made up by maiming rescue from cabbage onto green nearly 265 yards carry but of course no one saw that except lads who were playing with and were shocked.

Wow, you must have a swing speed faster than your username.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭plumber77

Your highlights or low lights - Not enough golf at all. Moving house, job other time wasting stuff.
    Your goals you achieved or failed - neither achieved or failed, just stagnant
    Your great shots your worst - Did hit a lovely 5 iron in Enniscrone to an elevated green. Sunk the putt too which helps. Worst - Cold topped about 10 shots the following friday in Ballinrobe. Worst golfing day for a long time.

Your plans and goals for 2016.
    More golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

Made up by maiming rescue from cabbage onto green nearly 265 yards carry but of course no one saw that except lads who were playing with and were shocked.

265yards+!!!!????....With a rescue....Ah here

• Registered Users Posts: 46 The Hurricane

Lads I'm not in the habit of making up stuff, that's the shot I played I know the yardage as I've a distance measuring device and should have mentioned it was blowing a gale downwind to be fair on a links course don't know if I could repeat it but I think adrenaline was helping after knocking down the drive. It was a rescue 4 wood stiff shaft right out of the middle. Never posted on this thread before just had a really good year and said Id jot them down.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Hurricane View Post
    265yards+!!!!????....With a rescue....Ah here

Lads I'm not in the habit of making up stuff, that's the shot I played I know the yardage as I've a distance measuring device and should have mentioned it was blowing a gale downwind to be fair on a links course don't know if I could repeat it but I think adrenaline was helping after knocking down the drive. It was a rescue 4 wood stiff shaft right out of the middle. Never posted on this thread before just had a really good year and said Id jot them down.

Fairplay Hurricane - with those kind of distances you should blow away the opposition next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭benny79

I have hit my rescue 230 yds a couple of times this year its a 3 wood 15deg stiff, its mainly my 200/210yd club.

Its happens unfortunately not often enough :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

To continue the theme:
    Highlight of my year. A birdie on our SI 2 after knocking down my drive 70 yards, hitting a peach with my 3h, wind assisted on a dry links, then chipping in from 60 yards. The hole is 420 total. I'll leave the maths to the non-believers ;)

Haven't played much of late so will do my review when I get a few more rounds in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

My highlights

My main golfing highlight came without me even having a golf club in my hand. Winning the Connacht title for the Senior Cup as Athlone Captain was an incredible journey and then getting to represent the club as Captain for the All Irelands was even better. We pushed eventual champions Maynooth all the way but it was an incredible run. Really hope I get the chance to Captain again for next year.

My lowlights

Sadly the rest of my golf was a lowlight. I suffered a few fairly serious health issues during the summer that seriously impacted my ability to play well. In the end I was going out just to play and with failing health could manage no more than 12 holes before getting too tired to go on... Accumulated a lot of 0.1's that way, but t'was great just to be able to play. Thankfully my health issues are almost behind me now.

Your goals you achieved or failed

Didnt achieve my own golfing goals, but getting either the Barton Shield or Senior Cup team to the Connacht final was a goal. Being able to get it further than that was a dream come true :)

Your great shots

My best shot of the year was in the Junior cup and it was a 10 foot putt, up the hill, with a twist. It was a good putt, but it was the significance of it that made it my best shot. I go into a bit more detail below ;)

Your best day on the course(as a player)

I had been dropped from the Junior Cup squad due to the aforementioned illnesses but after we just scraped through qualifying, I assured the team captain that i was fit to play and gnashing at the bit to get out there and kick some ass. He still didnt want to pick me though and only after he consulted with some other golfers in the club and the guy that I replaced did he change his mind and draft me in. The logic being that if you have someone who's played off 5 for 10 years, you probably should play them if they are available. I got a buddy of mine who plays off +3 to caddy for me and he was invaluable.

I asked to be put out near the back and I was out last. Anchorman. I won my first match in the morning 5&4. I played sublime for the 14 holes. 1 over par. I proved my point. Captain still wasnt sure about me and asked me was I still fit to play and I assured him I was. Out last again, I was playing against a fella who used to play off 1 and only hit irons off the tee.

I was 2 down after 9 and looking like going 3 down after 10. I hit my t shot into the front right bunker on the 9th with my opponent on the green in reg. I hit an absolutely sublime bunker shot to an inch and from there I went on a mini run winning holes 11,12 and 13 to go 1 up. That bunker shot absolutely ignited my round. He won the 14th but I won the 15th to go back to 1 up. Playing the 16th hole I was in control all the way along. Split the middle of the fairway with my tee shot. Hit my second 10 yards short of the green and hit a nice chip to 10 feet away. A 5 looked like a guaranteed half. My playing partner hit a good drive, but hit his second shot into the bunker right of the green. He just got the ball out and from 70 feet and off the green, he holed his putt. it was never going anywhere else.

All of a sudden, my likely par putt for a win, was now a putt for a half and to make sure I was going to remain 1-up playing the 17th. It was one of the few putts all day I didnt ask my caddy to measure for me. I knew the line. Ball outside right and firm. I hit it lovely and ball went straight in the centre of the cup. I was fist pumping with a foot still to go. Adrenaline was immense. There was a large crowd around the 17th green, from where you can see the 16th green and there was a great cheer. (People thought I had won the hole though, lol).

A par was good enough to win the 17th hole and win my match. Walking off the 17th green, my opponents caddy turned to my caddy and said : " I'm so glad your fella made that putt on 16. There's no way he would have deserved to lose that hole or the match the way he played."
    My opponents caddy used to play off scratch, so that gave me a real good boost as well.

As a player, far an away my best day on the course this year

Would love to be asked to manage the Senior Cup and Barton Shield teams again. I've got some unfinished business with it. Namely winning the All-Ireland. I'd always back us to do well and think we have a great chance again. We'll have almost the same squad and have some good players coming through, so a great chance to advance. Would love another bite at the Junior Cup too, though will need to get my handicap back to 5, lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

Rikand wrote: »
    My highlights

My main golfing highlight came without me even having a golf club in my hand. Winning the Connacht title for the Senior Cup as Athlone Captain was an incredible journey and then getting to represent the club as Captain for the All Irelands was even better. We pushed eventual champions Maynooth all the way but it was an incredible run. Really hope I get the chance to Captain again for next year.

My lowlights

Sadly the rest of my golf was a lowlight. I suffered a few fairly serious health issues during the summer that seriously impacted my ability to play well. In the end I was going out just to play and with failing health coul manage no more than 12 holes before getting too tired to go on... Accumulated a lot of 0.1's that way, but t'was great just to be able to play. Thankfully my health issues are almost behind me now.

Didnt achieve my own golfing goals, but getting either the Barton Shield or Senior Cup team to the Connacht final was a goal. Being able to get it further than that was a dream come true :)

Your great shots

My best shot of the year was in the Junior cup and it was a 10 foot putt, up the hill, with a twist. It was a good putt, but it was the significance of it that made it my best shot. I go into a bit more detail below ;)

Your best day on the course(as a player)

I had been dropped from the Junior Cup squad due to the aforementioned illnesses but after we just scraped through qualifying, I assured the team captain that i was fit to play and gnashing at the bit to get out there and kick some ass. He still didnt want to pick me though and only after he consulted with some other golfers in the club and the guy that I replaced did he change his mind and draft me in. The logic being that if you have someone who's played off 5 for 10 years, you probably should play them if they are available. I got a buddy of mine who plays off +3 to caddy for me and he was invaluable.

I asked to be put out near the back and I was out last. Anchorman. I won my first match in the morning 5&4. I played sublime for the 14 holes. 1 over par. I proved my point. Captain still wasnt sure about me and asked me was I still fit to play and I assured him I was. Out last again, I was playing against a fella who used to play off 1 and only hit irons off the tee.

I was 2 down after 9 and looking like going 3 down after 10. I hit my t shot into the front right bunker on the 9th with my opponent on the green in reg. I hit an absolutely sublime bunker shot to an inch and from there I went on a mini run winning holes 11,12 and 13 to go 1 up. That bunker shot absolutely ignited my round. He won the 14th but I won the 15th to go back to 1 up. Playing the 16th hole I was in control all the way along. Split the middle of the fairway with my tee shot. Hit my second 10 yards short of the green and hit a nice chip to 10 feet away. A 5 looked like a guaranteed half. My playing partner hit a good drive, but hit his second shot into the bunker right of the green. He just got the ball out and from 70 feet and off the green, he holed his putt. it was never going anywhere else.

All of a sudden, my likely par putt for a win, was now a putt for a half and to make sure I was going to remain 1-up playing the 17th. It was one of the few putts all day I didnt ask my caddy to measure for me. I knew the line. Ball outside right and firm. I hit it lovely and ball went straight in the centre of the cup. I was fist pumping with a foot still to go. Adrenaline was immense. There was a large crowd around the 17th green, from where you can see the 16th green and there was a great cheer. (People thought I had won the hole though, lol).

A par was good enough to win the 17th hole and win my match. Walking off the 17th green, my opponents caddy turned to my caddy and said : " I'm so glad your fella made that putt on 16. There's no way he would have deserved to lose that hole or the match the way he played."
    My opponents caddy used to play off scratch, so that gave me a real good boost as well.

As a player, far an away my best day on the course this year

Would love to be asked to manage the Senior Cup and Barton Shield teams again. I've got some unfinished business with it. Namely winning the All-Ireland. I'd always back us to do well and think we have a great chance again. We'll have almost the same squad and have some good players coming through, so a great chance to advance. Would love another bite at the Junior Cup too, though will need to get my handicap back to 5, lol :D

Thanks Rik, love this post. Without knowing you or the finer details it reminds me of all the things I love about golf. Hope your Health keeps improving and when your inevitably asked to manage your senior cup/barton shields you get over the final hurdle next year. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

So my golfing year of 2015 is summerised as follows

Your highlights
    Had some really good golf days this year both in club and society. Highlight has to be the Junior Cup overall but especially the district quarter finals.

We were playing Carlow in Portarlington and I was up against a woman who had played off 7 but had drifted out to 10 in last couple of years. This was only my second ever club match, first was 4 years ago in 1st round of challange cup and I was playing off 35 😂😂
    Myself and one of team mate love to play a few holes to warm up rather than listen to women natter over tea and scones in clubhouse. So we started warmup on the 3rd a par 3, I hit 2 7i shanks into the trees about 30yards off tea box, bogied next 2 holes then on last practice hole something in my swing just clicked!!
    So as I stood on the 1st tee I was quietly confident and had no real nerves (great to be young), bombed a drive down left centre, perfect, 5i into wind to 5 ft and sank the birdie, if I was confident on tee box I was buzzing after the putt. 4 up through 5 and she pulled one back on 5, matched each other over next few holes and I was 5 up after 13 and won hole and match with a birdie on 14 (6&4) :) I was ecstatic, last game out and we won 3&2, great feeling, some buzz!!
    I couldn't do a thing wrong all day, added up score after for the 14holes and including gimmes I was only +4 :):)

Another highlight is that I was never down in a Junior cup match even though I played 5 matches.

Also I was hugely honoured to be picked ahead of 2 lower handicappers from 2nd match on.

low lights
    Had a few of these this year
    1) loosing junior cup district final to the eventual winners. I was 4 up after 4, big swing on 9 after my birdie putt to go 5 up lipped out rolled a nice distance away and putt back lipped as well so instead of being 5 up after 9 I was only 3 up. She won next 3 holes and I lost my head, and halved the next after I copped on and cooled down a bit. So here we were on 15 lying a/s I felt I had thrown it away, she was riding hight after pulling it back, I dove down middle and she found water, great I though here's my chance to turn momentum back to me. She had just taken her penalty drop 100yards back from my drive on a par 4 when we heard a roar from up ahead, they had won 3 of the first 4 matches and I was gutted. Turned around only to spot my mam and dad and uncle in crowd, a few tears wear shed :'( at least we can say we got bet by champions

2) Loosing the society captains prize on county back and missing out on Seve's amazing prize, anyone who stayed around in cork knew how I dealt with the loss (athlone99 helped by ordering whiskey :p)

3) Not getting to single figures, spent too much of the early part of the summer putting too much pressure on myself and getting frustrated, once I relaxed, stop giving out to myself and playing one shot at a time I dropped a shot and a half!

4) society outing to Naas! (Less said about this the better ) :)

1) Lowest handicap ever but not single figures
    2) No round in the 70's except last Saturday but it was perfered lies in fairway and semi so doesn't count
    3) only one round without a scratch

Your great shots
    Driver was good all year, kept me in play 99% of time.
    The shot that stands out as one of the best for me was and the East of Ireland mixed foursomes in the Smurfitt course. Playing with +1 golfer and he left me with 190m to flag on par 5 but had to carry at least 180m over 2 bits of water or lay up.....after a bit of deliperation I went against his wise judgement to lay up because I had my new custom fit 3wood and loved it. Stood up and caught it sweet out of the centre looked good all the way and we were both doing a Spieth on it and talking the ball to the hole, it landed and looked great about 6ft away but pin high, when we got to green we couldn't believe it, 1.5ft max for a tap in eagle!! Brilliant.

worst
    The thin shanks I had going on for a couple weeks early in season and again 2 weeks ago!

Your best day on the course
    Couple stand out:
    4/5 Junior cup games
    2nd in both mr. captains and Mr. Pres prize to ladies. And under par rounds in all ladies majors.
    Played good golf in Carton and Fota too in society

your worst
    Hands down my worst round of golf, not just this year but ever has to be the 15pts I scored in Naas with society!! Thin shanks with every wedge if I didn't make green in regulation I wasn't going to score! Was the most disheartening round of golf ever, almost felt like packing it in altogether!

Get to single figures
    1)Play junior cup and senior cup
    2)Win a major in club
    3)Shoot 77 (+4) around home course
    4) Practise short game for at least 2 hours ever week from 1st April to 1st October

Jaysus that feels good to say :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,775 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Fair play all - brilliant posts.

When you read them - you can see how much we live for this game.

A lad asked me last night, do you play much golf - put my hand in pocket and took out 3 broken tees. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

...Probably only 2nd post in the Golf Section, with the first been at the beginning of the year saying I will post more...

Your highlights or low lights
    ...My Highlight of the year would be just going and playing golf... I am absolutely in Love with the game, and enjoy every round I play...

I really am not very good, although I do feel I am getting better... I had two goals that for most is stupid, but for me they were difficult and sadly didn't achieve them.
    1. Break 100 strokes--- I managed to go around in 101, and would have broken 100 if I didn't get nervous. I didn't know my score but knew I was close and fecked up the last 3 holes... for most here, 100 is broken everytime but I guess I need to start somewhere.

2. Birdie a hole lol--- I had about 50/60 pars this year (well maybe 20 ha), but yet to birdie a hole...had lots of chances but never holed that putt.

Your plans and goals for 2016

1.My Goals are simple- Break 100 and have a birdie (mostly the 100)... I am 100% confident I will do this in 2016. I bought a new driver last month, (other one was a small one), and can feel a big difference already...

2. I play off a handicap of 28 in my pub society, (27-30 points),, and would also like to reduce this to a 25...

3.I am determined to go the driving range regularly, have at least 3 lessons in the year, and concentrate on every shot possible...

4.I also hope to become more active in this forum.. I read it as much as anyone, but always feel stupid posting in it due to my scores..But I have read posts and links here, that have made a real difference, so feel being involved may help more...

...So please accept me ha... And good luck to everyone in 2016...

...Probably only 2nd post in the Golf Section, with the first been at the beginning of the year saying I will post more...

...My Highlight of the year would be just going and playing golf... I am absolutely in Love with the game, and enjoy every round I play...

I really am not very good, although I do feel I am getting better... I had two goals that for most is stupid, but for me they were difficult and sadly didn't achieve them.
    1. Break 100 strokes--- I managed to go around in 101, and would have broken 100 if I didn't get nervous. I didn't know my score but knew I was close and fecked up the last 3 holes... for most here, 100 is broken everytime but I guess I need to start somewhere.

2. Birdie a hole lol--- I had about 50/60 pars this year (well maybe 20 ha), but yet to birdie a hole...had lots of chances but never holed that putt.

Your plans and goals for 2016

1.My Goals are simple- Break 100 and have a birdie (mostly the 100)... I am 100% confident I will do this in 2016. I bought a new driver last month, (other one was a small one), and can feel a big difference already...

2. I play off a handicap of 28 in my pub society, (27-30 points),, and would also like to reduce this to a 25...

3.I am determined to go the driving range regularly, have at least 3 lessons in the year, and concentrate on every shot possible...

4.I also hope to become more active in this forum.. I read it as much as anyone, but always feel stupid posting in it due to my scores..But I have read posts and links here, that have made a real difference, so feel being involved may help more...

...So please accept me ha... And good luck to everyone in 2016...

Lovely post Liam and best of luck with your game and goals - nice to see humility such as this for a change in the golf forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

Highlights
    Highlights for me had to be my first cut, first ever birdie, and also my best of 2 birdies in 1 round.

Lowlights
    Probably my abysmal playing in Portmarnock Links on my first Boards society outing. Going out there hoping not to embarrass myself, after the first few holes things started going badly, and that made me play even worse, and sure enough I embarrassed myself out there.

Others included being on 34 pts after 15 holes, and then realizing it and finishing with 34 once, and 35 another time

I had 4 goals for the year, one was to break 100, one to score a birdie, one which I felt was realistic of getting down to 24 and one highly ambitious of getting to 20 (having started at 28). I achieved the first 3, with my best being 91 (par 70 course), I've scored a few birdies throughout the year including 2 in one round, and got down to 22.0, though now on 22.1.

Your great shots your worst
    My best shot was a 5 iron at the Boards outing in Carton House. On the par 5 where the long drive was I got off the tee great, I had 207 yds to the center according to hole_in_one's GPS. 5 iron to dead centre of the green leaving myself with my first ever (and only to date) eagle putt of about 20 feet. I put it past by about 6 inches and tapped in the birdie.

I had a lot of bad shots so am unsure of which was my worst but likely one of many attempts to get out of nearly every bunker I went into.

Your best day on the course , you worst.
    My best day was the one where I was somehow able to forget my bad holes, I scratched 3 holes, and right after them I scored par (index 1), birdie, birdie which was a nice feeling knowing I could keep going without it affecting me.

My worst day for the golf was in Portmarnock Links with the society, I played miserably. I've only been out once this year wishing I hadn't bothered because the person I was playing with was a bit of a tosser and I just couldn't get along with him.

I want to play more golf, and hopefully get herself involved too. She likes going to the driving range so want to try and get her to come up to the club on a quiet evening and hit a few shots. As for my handicap, I want to get to 18, and not have a double shot on any holes. I also want to break 90 on an away, par 72 course.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭joxer1988

My first year playing golf, so it was very much a season of extreme highs and lows.

Highlights
    My best round late in the season - 92 strokes was a culmination of a season of hard work. However, early on it wasn't nearly as pretty - started in the 120 range but my possibly my best moment was my first birdie in April or so at the Smurfit course - 13th holes. Sunk a 20 footer. What a thrill!

Also won 2 team comps (4ball 2 scoring) with my uncle (great to play with him) where I had a 5 point birdie resulting in high fives all round.

Lowlights
    Didn't improve my scores nearly as quickly as I had hoped. Took basically the entire season to put all aspects of my game together. One day, my drives were great but I'd be 3 putting every green. You all know this story, I'm sure.....

Lowlights are several days of > 110, 120 in the beautiful days of summer with every other drive going OB.

Also had a day in July where I had 31 points through 12 but got cold feet and finished with (only) 38. I never kicked on from there and had to wait until October for another cut.

Wanted to get down to 20 from 28... Ended up with 24, so 50% there. I always set particularly lofty goals though... if that's a consolation.

My woods off the fairway aren't particularly clean, but I hit a 5w about 230/240 to get on to a par5 in 2. two putting for birdie then. I hit it as hard as I possible could, so in reality could've gone anywhere. lucky for me it went straight!

Your best day on the course , you worst.
    43 points off 28, for 92 strokes. Only one 3 putt. Drives mostly good and irons very solid, no duffed shots. A great day.

Worst could've been any one of about 4/5 straight rounds in the 115 region (this was once I got passed the initial learning period).

In keeping with the lofty goals theme, I'll aim to lose 10 shots - down to 14. :O

I've been told by many, that I have the shots, I just need to keep by drives out of the trees and clean up the short game a bit. Easier said than done of course, but it wouldn't be much fun if making progress was easy.

I'd also like to stop myself counting every birdie I get (10 this season). If I lose count then I've got to be playing some good stuff!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Joxer getting to 24 is still great but leave the woods in the bag, no need off your handicap to be going to par 5s in two!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭joxer1988

Keano wrote: »
    Joxer getting to 24 is still great but leave the woods in the bag, no need off your handicap to be going to par 5s in two!

Yep, figured that one out shortly after. My bag might as well go straight from Driver to 6i!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

joxer1988 wrote: »
    Yep, figured that one out shortly after. My bag might as well go straight from Driver to 6i!

Nothing wrong with that. I play off 11 and half of the time I'd be better off with a setup like that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,775 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Anyone else lads - or any major plans for 2016 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Anyone else lads - or any major plans for 2016 ?

My major change for 2016 is to hit the gym and have started a few months ago.
    Improving the core mainly, with some strength/weights and do some flexibility/stretching classes.
    I seemed to tire 3/4 way through a round which cost me some good scores and some prizes along the way.
    I'm late 40's so hoping being fitter will help me in the new year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

Highlight
    Winning back to back Captains prizes off 9 in 2014 and 7 in 2015. (cut 1 shot in each of previous weeks prior to it)

Best Month - August
    7 birdies in one round in V Par competition and had shots on 4 of those holes.
    Birdied 3 holes in a row previous week - so 10 birdies in 2 competitive rounds.
    Won Captain's Prize following week with no birdies!

Inter Club
    Won 4 out of 5 matches in All Ireland inter club mixed (all away)
    Jimmy Bruen - Qualified for regional playoff and won our matches in Semi final and final but lost overall.
    Also Played Barton cup & Junior cup - poor performances in both.

Worst Days
    Lost Barton Cup match on 19th in decider.
    Lost Club Mixed Semi final having been 2 up and 3 to go.
    Lost Quarter final of All Ireland Father & Son in Castle to eventual winners for the 2nd year in succession.

Play plenty of Golf, Stay healthy and do better in Father & Son!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭newport2

TRIGGER WARNING This post contains the S-word.

In summary, had been cut to 6 by June and was playing well and heading for further cuts. On the 7th hole of a comp I was +1 gross, enjoying myself and out of the blue...... shanked it. :confused: I haven't stopped shanking since :( Game fell to pieces. Great drive, just a wedge left in and ... shank, walk away with a double. Rinse and repeat. The precision with which I could hit a small dot on the hosel was astonishing, far smaller than a blade's sweet spot. Almost shaken them now, have a better swing for it too with all the work I did to shake it. But I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. The only experience I have ever had that stopped me enjoying golf. Just playing badly would have been a dream compared with it :(

Outplay the field with my new handicap. No SHA$$'s........

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

newport2 wrote: »
    In summary, had been cut to 6 by June and was playing well and heading for further cuts. On the 7th hole of a comp I was +1 gross, enjoying myself and out of the blue...... shanked it. :confused: I haven't stopped shanking since :( Game fell to pieces. Great drive, just a wedge left in and ... shank, walk away with a double. Rinse and repeat. The precision with which I could hit a small dot on the hosel was astonishing, far smaller than a blade's sweet spot. Almost shaken them now, have a better swing for it too with all the work I did to shake it. But I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. The only experience I have ever had that stopped me enjoying golf. Just playing badly would have been a dream compared with it :(

Went through them myself for about 4 months, 15 years ago. Shanked every club in my bag except the 8 iron and the putter. It got so bad, that I was only bringing the 8 iron and putter with me. In the end, I put weight on my heels, lined up the club off the toe and just made sure to keep my head down. Combination of all 3 did the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

newport2 wrote: »

Went through a bad spell of them earlier this year and a similar spell last year, soul destroying stuff. Have put in a good deal of work over the past two years so hoping for a great 2016, it's sure due:
    Lowlight was going through a horrendous spell of the shanks through Apr and May that has left a lot of scarring.

Worst included the countless shanks hit throughout the year, what made them worse is that I was driving the ball quite well during this period so they were often from the middle of the fairway into severe trouble. One particular bad one was during Jimmy Bruen foursomes club qualifiers where after a great drive from my playing partner down the middle I proceeded to shank a 6 iron into heavy rough where he had no shot at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

RoadRunner wrote: »

Failed Goals:
    Did not join a course

Last minute update just in before the end of the year! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭benny79

What course did you join RoadRunner?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

St Margarets.

Advertisement