Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Year That Was 2015

Options
  • 01-11-2015 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭

We did this last few years and was a bit of a laugh. Well, an opportunity to be happy about what you achieved - and nice to have a moan too in a supportive environment :D

In a few of the other threads - people are wrapping up their seasons and putting the clubs away - wanted to catch people before this place dies.

Coming to the end of the year. Give a small , review of your golfing year, or anything you want to say

Your highlights or low lights
    Your goals you achieved or failed
    Your great shots your worst
    Your best day on the course , you worst.

Your plans and goals for 2016.

Anyway lads - was an unusual year of weather, very good spring - but way too much wind and not the best summer ever. Nice end to season now,

Best of luck in 2016.

I'l post after a few other.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

After years of not really getting anywhere this was the first year I actually improved. I had probably improved last year already, but this year it showed in results, too. My handicap dropped by four shots and I feel a better player now. A little bit anyway.
    And until about a couple of weeks ago I would have said I even have another big score in me before the end of the season. Which would bring me down to 11 or 12 or so. But it looks like that might not happen now. Winter golf has set in, my last few rounds weren't all that great and job duties will deny me any golf for the next 3 or 4 weeks. I shouldn't get greedy. :)

But I had a really good year. I had a win, a couple of second and a third place. I won and had a second place with the society. Most importantly I played better golf and I enjoyed playing it and I enjoyed how it feels to get better.

I know where I need to improve to take the next step.

Swing: My swing has improved but still needs work. Yet I must continue to trust it. If I don't there'll be no hope of better timing, better rhythm. I must continue to concentrate on the basics. Alignment still needs attention all the time.
    Short Game: My short game is passable but only that. For the second half of the year it wasn't costing me any shots. Thats the best I can say about it. Putting is so friggin' important.
    Mental side: I need to find a way to control my mind better during a competition round. I need to find a way of continuing to play well after the realisation that I'm playing well today. A way to not get protective or overly confident or begin to think of scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Highlights were winning the open comp at the beginning of the year. Low lights were less golf and some dreadful rounds

Goal achieved was getting cut, goal failed was that it seems to be overturned which is something I really must follow up on
    My bad shots on an average day are much better and feel I can score on any course on an average day

Making an eagle on the 11th at Headfort old with a 7iron

Worst, I think I nearly killed fix at one time i played the last round with him in corballis
    Best is Ardee at the beginning of the year. Just felt so confident over the ball and it showed with 44pts with a scratch

Worst was my last game. Absolute disaster in Corballis. Turns out I played with a pulled muscle in my neck and being ignorant made it worse

Your plans and goals for 2016

Play more golf.
    Get a bag check in foregolf
    More lessons
    Play more courses
    F*#* the score, enjoy the time on the course

• Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Your highlights or lowlights

Well, there were so many highs – it was a blast.

Last year on this thread about 2014 – I said, I would never see another one like it – but from November to March – I put in a savage amount of work – changed Irons, putter and entered the new season, with a totally new game.
    I worked a little on the mental side and improved amount of short game work.

And it paid off – started in March with a total freak of a practice round, of 3 under – was crazy stuff – will never forget that round, even if people said it didn't count – I didn't care, as I had never even had a par round before that day. It was a freak – as basically everything went in – I even lipped out for 2 more Birds and had a total of 6 in the round. Mad stuff.

Then, I did do it with a card and with a hole in 1.

I then had a couple of best competition rounds (1 over, 2 over and 4 over) got me to my lowest ever handicap of 4.5.

Low Lights

At the wrong time in the season my putter gave up on me and then I lost so much confidence in all my game – This was midsummer, I was struggling mentally with new handicap and had a 90 in my first ever medal – that was my worst day on a course in years – didn’t even think I had a 90 in me. The one bit of pride was, that I actually did play well on way in to even get that score.

Your goals you achieved

I honestly did feel unlucky not to get a hole in one in 2014, so was delighted to get one this year.

I got to sub 5 and that was my big goal – I didn’t feel I had a great competition season – but had a few wins and a few big cuts.

But to be honest – I’ve not got too much experience of what a bad season or good season is. I guess I will find out. I guess I may have ridiculous expectations.

Failed

I failed to get on a club team – to be honest, not sure I was mentally ready.
    I failed to improve my swing and sort of lived with the flaws in it. I just learned how to live with my bad shots and have a better way of managing my bad shots. My mechanics are very very poor still and makes me fairly unpredictable for my handicap.

I failed to sort out my putting and short game to the level it should be at – it did improve by say 10 to 15 %, I almost have to double that effort again in 2016.

I never won a boards outing, did want to win one, but I never turned up with my full game in good order – I played very good golf at times , but not for 18.
    I’m still a fairly limited parkland player and 36 points for me is a very good day away, on a parkland.

Well must be, the hole in one, - but the shots I enjoyed most were a few 3 woods that I have managed to bring into my game – this was very hard for me to improve here, due to swing type , but worked very very hard, to have a flatter approach to ball and keep loft on club.

This resulted, in a couple of 3 woods in 250 to 260 yard range and hitting greens – this was crazy stuff for me, resulting in more eagle chances and easy Birds on par 5s, also gave me a new option off tee on shorter par 4s.

Worst

Couple of very bad shots – like topped 5 irons, very very short missed putts – 3 putts from 12 feet, I almost missed a ball with a hybrid (lol:p) after topping a driver from the first in competition.

These are fine and part of hacker amateur golf, but found it more embarrassing, as supposed to be a low handicap player now.

Your best day on the course, you worst.

Hard one this – in relation to playing, the day of 68 was a bizarre, maybe an unrepeatable event and day.

Hole in one day was class, as I also kept the round going too – was a little disappointed that I missed a sub par or par round that day

Unreal fun days at a couple of society events – Boards and my own one, that I won in Kenmare.

Had a blast with lads in winter links event – and we played The Island, first time I played well there. We had great fun and all improved as golfers as a result. The weather was from the sublime to sub 0. I'll never forget a perfect shot from dar - bouncing off solid ice - to 15 feet past pin.
    Met great lads at that event like - The Big- Ryaner - PARlance - Golfgraffix - Pcasso -

Loved the days in Fota – Cork Golf Club and Druids Glen – they are top of my parklands so far. Just love the feel and Hotel at Druids.

Worst

Got hammered in mini winter event by Golfgraffix – that was a nightmare. As had won against him in build-up.

And then got hammered in Jug –, "hammered" harsh - but, just nothing went right, but also turned up, with my putting in very poor order. I was sort of hiding this a little.

The 90 was a real flash back to the old golfer in me, and a reminder that there are still real poor dynamics and a game there – I sometimes struggle to veneer over.

Want to widen my Links courses played – need to head – West / North / South. I’m now finished East.

1/2 thinking I need to play in UK or Spain in 2016 - but know no one else who wants to yet.

Want to get to 2.5 or lower in the year. (going to be very very hard as going up at present).

Want a few level par rounds early in 2016.

Want to practice about 2 to 5 hours every week on short game and putting.

Want to make a big call on swing and shoulder turn – decide if this is going to limit my progress or not.

Want a short game coach/pro.

Want to be a little fitter/better shape.

Want to improve away, and have 36 to 38 pts, a bit more when on parkland courses.

After all that

It is just a bloody game !?

When I posted that in another navel gazing thread - I loved Rikands reply - that , "no it is important". :D

Only reason, we are on here - is that we know we have the support of other nut heads - Yes I write more about it. But, every Boards lad I meet , the conversation is so easy , as ye are mostly nuts about this game.

This game I find very very hard - nothing like it, improvement is so hard to see and so difficult to achieve , even worse , the game never tells you when you are doing the right thing.

So - when you are at a low, doubt the significance of what you are at - Post here and help is online.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TLOA72

highlights one victory and cut 2 shots.
    Low lights too many inconsistent rounds.
    Your goals you achieved or failed.
    Achieved a cut and didn't go back up.
    Failed on getting to target handicap by 1 shot.
    Your great shots your worst.
    first time I had a putt for eagle on a par 5 after hitting a great drive and 3w from 220 mts to 10 feet.
    Worst was being in contention and hitting 2 drives OOB and blowing chance of a great round in a medal.
    See above
    Another cut and plenty of good practice before baby 2 arrives early summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Highlights:
    Getting down to 7.
    Playing SM Links Competition in Rosses, Carne and Enniscrone. Great time.
    Two runners up and one 3rd in Medals
    A good few vouchers here and there.
    Took up a new role helping out my club and its going well.
    Played some great courses with good friends and family.

Lowlights:
    No wins

Goals Achieved:
    Getting from 9 to 7 and I think original goal was to stay at 9.

Goals Failed:
    Still no eagle in my career
    GIR still not above 35%

Great shots:
    Second into index 1 hole 12th in Round-wood. 210 yards out and hit a 3 wood as good as I can to land 10 feet. Made the birdie which made the shot.

Worst shot:
    First drive in first Medal went 3 yards into carnage rough on left of tee box. Lost the drive on downswing and took a divot a foot before the ball. Too embarrassed to look for it.

Best day on the course:
    Probably the first round of SM Links in Rosses Point. We played so well myself and my friend with two sound Dutch guys. We ended up second from top. Gorgeous weather, great company and great golf from us both. Only just got to 7 the previous week and with reduced handicap I was off 5. My ball was 4 over so I was chuffed.

Worst day on course:
    That first Medal of the year. Card was N/R after the third after hitting 4 shots to get it out of some reeds. I say 4 shots but it was probably 4 strokes and then 16 swipes of frustration before I gave in.

Plans and goals for 2016:
    Down to 5 next year. Work starts with new pro in a week or two.
    Play more with my brothers.
    Play SM Links 2016.
    Increase GIR to above 40% minimum.
    Get a bloody eagle.
    Get a further 100 followers on twitter (joke).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Jaysus lads it's only November 2nd, yez are worse than Christmas FM. The year that IS 2015!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭benny79

I had my personal best round of 86, week before season started (unfortunately). First time to break 90. Came second in clubs open week.
    Came 6th in Presidents prize should of won it nerves got the better of me.
    Got first ever Eagle.
    Joining the Boards society
    First ever round with 2 birdies in Portmarnock in boards outing. The second one was a low index around 7th or 8th hole Par 4 about 220 yds out hit my shot of the year with my rescue dropped before green rolled up the hole to a foot! Still Picture it as clear as day :D
    Broke 90 again Sat gone for an 88.
    First year to ever be cut.
    Finally after a long time searching & a lot of money spent I finally found a really good Pro!.

LOW LIGHTS

Set a Target of 12 a bit to unrealistic imo, but my former Pro taught it was. Starting the season on 22 and had never had a cut before.
    Working all winter with a Pro believing in it and for it not to work.
    Timing of a lot of competitions as I had a lot weddings, shag's, mates birthdays etc but still managed to play (poorly) which was bad for confidence & handicap.

Getting cut
    Breaking 90 (twice)
    Having a round with no scratches

Fail to hit Target but it was a very unrealistic one.

The rescue in Portmarnock for birdie.
    Had a couple of putts of 30ft+
    And put a few pitches to a ft or 2 from 60 yards out.

Both times breaking 90

Worse was taking a half day in work to play Tues comp before season ends having a few pints the night before and shooting 25 pts! My worse game of the year!
    I CAN'T PLAY GOLF HUNG OVER.

Set a realistic target of 14 or 15 & try and achieve it.
    Work on my short game more as I can see the improvements.
    Make the Jug team in the Boards society
    Win a comp at my club
    Get Fit & keep up with regular lessons

I feel with my new Pro that:
    1. I believe in him (which is a big deal for me as I have been to way to many)
    2. If I put the work in next year I will achieve all my goals!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

benny79 wrote: »
    LOW LIGHTS

Set a Target of 12 a bit to unrealistic imo, but my former Pro taught it was. Starting the season on 22 and had never had a cut before.
    Working all winter with a Pro believing in it and for it not to work.
    Timing of a lot of competitions as I had a lot weddings, shag's, mates birthdays etc but still managed to play (poorly) which was bad for confidence & handicap.
    Even Tiger had problems with that one :pac:

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Even Tiger had problems with that one :pac:

Ha, Ha, good spot! If only that was the case! Then it would of been a really good year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭padzer

Highs:
    Won an outing with the pub society in Swords, after scratching the first 2 holes, ended up with 41 points.
    Finished 2nd in a club comp in Silloge, with a personal best +7.

Lows:
    Just general bad play all season. If its not one thing its another.

Failed. Miserably. Joined Silloge at the start of the year and only had 1 buffer and 1 cut all year. It coincided with getting rid of my old ping g5 irons (i miss them, please come back, im sorry) and replacing them with a set of blades which i never got to grips with. The good shots are great, but the bad ones (of which there are many) are just awful. They are currently for sale on adverts so I have admitted defeat and just want to go back to basics.

Best:
    Hit the pin on the 18th in Grange Castle for an albatross (made the eagle).

Worst:
    Took an 11 on the index 1 8th hole in Silloge in a strokes comp.

Best:
    In the aforementioned 2nd in the club comp, was an overall 1-2-3 with my 2 mates who played in the same group. 42-41-41 were the scores and it was just an incredible day of scoring, fed of eachothers good play.

Worst:
    The round 3 days previous to the one above, shot a 95 in a club comp. Set up an account on howdidido.com and couldnt believe my eyes how bad i had been playing all year. Put those blades away n dug out an oul rustbucket set i had when i first started playing.

Try get a decent cut. This year i started out at 12, went all the way up to 13.4 before the 1 good round of the year and look to have finished on 12.3.

Hopefully I can offload these blades and pick up a decent set of irons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Padzer what possessed you to get blades?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Highlights were making the Purcell team and winning the September monthly medal. Lowlights were throwing away our intermediate scratch after my tee shot on the 13th was 'hooked' by a low hanging branch of tree and imploding thereafter

Goal was to get to single figures. Didnt happen but took 0.7 off my starting handicap without losing a shot

Winning the hole in the purcell with a 170 odd yard approach to 3 feet

Worst,probably everyone when i lost my club matchplay fixture

Best was medal win, just felt in more control than the usual wing and a prayer. too many bad days to identify

e

Single figure
    get lessons to improve the putting and short game
    Play more courses/open comps
    enjoy the time on the course

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Highlight was making it to the final of our club matchplay. Won a society outing and has a good few placed finishes in our club, still waiting for a win though.

Was realistic with my 2015 goals, wanted to be a steady 12hcper and think I achieved it this summer, didn't have a 0.1 back from May to September, dropped to 11hcp in September and had a few 0.1 back since.

Best and worst could be on the same hole, 15th home course, playing matchplay and had just lost the 13th and 14th, hit a brilliant drive and then duffed a long iron, 5 feet in front of me. All or nothing for the next shot and hit a 5 iron to 6 inches, knocked my opponent for six and went on to win.

Another matchplay game, playing a real steady player, I shoot level par for the front 9, my first time ever, opponent pretty much wanted to walk in there and then.

Would like to get to 10, but will be delighted if I just spend the year constantly hitting the buffer as an 11hcper. I think less terrible rounds are as satisfying as the odd great round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

benny79 wrote: »
    Finally after a long time searching & a lot of money spent I finally found a really good Pro!.

Who is he? No harm in a plug given your experience and might save us the same trial and error.

Highlight was winning my first ever JSC and getting my name on some perpetual silverware. Followed by a hole in one in my home club in the first 18 hole competition of the year.
    Lowlight was going through a horrendous spell of the shanks through Apr and May that has left a lot of scarring.

Finally managed to break the 7 handicap barrier and get to my lowest ever of 6.0
    Failed miserably with consistency and already creeping back to 7 currently sitting on 6.4. Only had two cuts all year with a lot of 0.1 to nearly end back where I started. Had an ambitious target of 4.0 so failed spectacularly there.

The hole in one was obviously a thrill but one that really stuck in the memory was a 3iron 2nd shot from a severe downhill with ball a good 6" below my feet. Trees were blocking the direct path so needed to move the ball a good 20 yards right to left around them with danger on the right including more trees and out of bounds. Pulled it off as pictured leading to a handy par on the low index hole.
    Worst included the countless shanks hit throughout the year, what made them worse is that I was driving the ball quite well during this period so they were often from the middle of the fairway into severe trouble. One particular bad one was during Jimmy Bruen foursomes club qualifiers where after a great drive from my playing partner down the middle I proceeded to shank a 6 iron into heavy rough where he had no shot at all.

Best day was a casual round played in Druids Glen with my brother, don't often get to play a round with him and he'd never played the course (my favourite) before. Course was in spectacular condition and very quiet, weather conditions were perfect and we both played decent golf making for a very enjoyable day.
    Worst was never getting a score going in any of the medals or majors in my home club, all very disappointing rounds never getting near being in contention of a prize

Re-adjust the handicap goal of a more realistic 5 and be able to play of it and hold it.
    Try and make the junior cup team in my home club, if I get towards my handicap goal I might have a chance.
    Finally win a competition in my home club
    Try and shoot a level par round or better in any course, best to date has been +1 in Headfort New in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭padzer

Keano wrote: »
    Padzer what possessed you to get blades?

No idea, must have read somewhere that they would improve my game. I saw them on adverts and thought they looked amazing. To make things worse, my mate took the pings off my hands, and hes been playing the best golf of his life.

Its like seeing your mate going out with your ex-missus n them having great craic rubbing your face in it.

(Great clubs though, for any potential buyers)

Who is he? No harm in a plug given your experience and might save us the same trial and error.

Sent you a PM mate.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

padzer wrote: »
    No idea, must have read somewhere that they would improve my game. I saw them on adverts and thought they looked amazing. To make things worse, my mate took the pings off my hands, and hes been playing the best golf of his life.

Its like seeing your mate going out with your ex-missus n them having great craic rubbing your face in it.

(Great clubs though, for any potential buyers)
    Sell them on and pick up another set of Pings!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Joining a new club & some very enjoyable days out with welcoming new members

Making the Ryder Jug Team & winning my match out with Recycled

Re-finding the Driver. I'm by no means 100% with it, but its great to have the option back in the bag.

Handicap went sideways this year. When I joined the club, the Committee member who gave me the intro tour told me I'd likely go backwards in year one, as it would take me a while to find my way round the course & the greens (he was right). So maybe I'll take a sideways year as a success :)

Didn't have a single 2 on the new course this year :(

Didn't win any Boards outings or make the Jug Team on Merit (thanks Captain)

Your great shots, your worst
    In the jug match, on the par 3 8th in Druids Glen. Both the opponents had stuck in shots onto the green & had safe pars in the bag. Both of us hit the bunker tight to flag with a sharp break. Splashed my bunker shot out to 2ft & made the par putt for a half...the groan from the opposition really made it feel like a win.

Playing in my home course, requiring a birdie on 18 to make buffer. Crunching a big drive out to clear the corner of the long par 5 & hitting a hybrid on to the green to about 15 feet. Safe 2 putts for a birdie finish was very satisfying.

Worst, sitting on 37 points coming off 16 at the home course & coming in with 2 net bogeys to finish on 39 points. I know 39 points is a result, but the end was very disappointing.

Duffing my opening drive in the last medal of the year. About a 30 yard pull into heavy stuff...after a night on the heavy stuff (lesson learnt...drinking & "Driving" don't work for me :o)

Your best day on the course , you worst
    See above...winning the match in the Ryder Jug with Recycled. We kept each other going all day, really positive stuff, and a match played in great spirits.

Didn't play terrible golf all year, just didn't play enough really good golf, so no one round stands out as a worst

Work on Swing over winter (particularly driver)
    Tighten up short game (putter is solid, but not getting close enough to make a lot of up & downs
    Try push for single figure handicap

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

Winning Golfer of the Year was the highlight along with winning a medal. Low light, going from 12 to 13,but hopefully get back there with a gpa.

Swing has improved an awful lot, increased distance. Short game not up to same level.

None of either stick out.

Shooting 76 early in season in the fog after a comp was cancelled. worst, was havin 30 points thru 14 and coming in wit 34, last round hungover this year.

Get to single figures and stay there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Highlight: Broke 80 for the first time
    Lowlight: Shot 99 next time out!

Was my first full season and had hoped to get to 12.4 from a starting point of 17.1. Only made it as low as 14.2.

Great: 210 yard 4 hybrid to 15ft for eagle at the 12th at St Margarets...Ended with a 5.
    Worst: Shanked SW OOB from 95 yards.

As above, 79 at Swords at the end of May followed by 99 the next week.

Should have tons of time to practice next year so my optimistic goal is 9.9 or better. In reality I'd be happy with sub-12.
    Main thing is to sort out my driving which should help with another goal of getting my GIR up towards 50%
    GameGolf tells me the guy who average 75-80 has the following stats, so that's what I'm shooting for:
    50% Fairways (37% atm)
    50% GIR (28% atm)
    1.8 putts (1.87 atm)
    32% scrambling (15% atm)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just getting out there and playing so much, over 70rounds on 39 different courses.
    Low light was playing Royal Curragh in freezing conditions and literally red raw hands with the wind chill, horrible day
    Goal is more golf, achieved and new courses, 21 new courses for me this year
    Holing a 9iron from 134yards on the 5th in Dooks
    No worst shots, always good golf
    Best day was Lahinch, both courses, getting my ass kicked in Lahinch old in the morning and then after grub going out and shooting a 79 on the Castle course, go figure!
    No worst day apart from Curragh
    New courses, just want to play new courses in good weather

0% EAGLES, 3% BIRDIES, 33% PARS, 42% BOGEYS, 15% DBL BOGEYS, 6% +3 OR MORE
    Drives, 22% left, 55% fairway, 23% right
    Approach inside 100y, 2% left, 21% short, 63%>15y from pin, 8% long, 3% right
    Average score 88.3 (last 20)
    Handicap 14.2
    Game Golf Handicap 13.8 (last 20)
    GIR 27% (last 20)
    1.8 putts per hole (last 20)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Highlights: Joining a club and getting my first handicap.
    Winnning a society event in strandhill (some course)
    Joining Boards Society
    Playing so many courses (almost 20)

Lowlights:
    Game went to pieces after joining a club :(
    Not joining a club until August

Having moved from Mayo to Dublin just joining a club and getting a handicap is a goal achieved, however didn't manage to get cut.

Your great shots :

Every shot in Strandhill

your worst:

Too many to remember

Your best day on the course:

Played Strandhill in February, didn't hit a bad shot.

your worst.
    Probably The Heritage in a society. 20 points in the wind and rain.

Properly start my golfing career and get my handicap down. Possibly change club. Maybe get fitted. Break 14 over. Get a few lessons.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Highlights: 3 outright wins, incorporating the very first and very last competitions I played in my home club. It's hard to win, especially off a lowish handicap...that's the first year in a while I've managed more than one.

Winning the gross aggregate (the best 4 gross scores from the 6 medals) in my place. Thanks in large part to better players under-performing and the remaining threat having a baby and not managing to play the requisite 4 events. I'll take it!

Playing 3 matches in the Senior Cup. Only won one but didn't play terribly in any and managed to take Jack Hume down the last in one of 'em. Not too shabby.

Finishing the year well. Again, don't remember coming off a year with any kind of optimism for quite a while but feel like I've made some progress, and very much looking forward to the next season.

Managed to reduce my handicap slightly (a high 2 to a slightly lower 2) but with the amount of events I play, I do feel it's representative of decent progress.

Genuinely feel like I've sorted my chipping out. This time last year I was suffering from a flat out case of the chipping yips, and it took a lot of practice and persistence to recover somewhat. It's still below average of course, but at least I feel I can swing at the ball now!

Consistency has gotten better; outside of one blowout (in Royal County Down of all places), I haven't shot too many scores worse than 77 or 78. I've really tried like hell in every round no matter how bad things are going, and the results are encouraging. Was also delighted to play Macreddin and shoot a decent number on my first time around the place, which is a good indicator of how you're grinding it out.

Re: goals I've failed, I didn't really contend in any big events, either at home or elsewhere, which was a disappointment. I really try to give myself every chance in the medals, the scratch cups and the majors by warming up before hand, taking it easier the night before...etc, but to no avail this year. Didn't even qualify for the Scratch Cup Matchplay (rained off to be fair) or the foursomes with younger bro having gotten to the final last year. That was disappointing.

Enjoyed some great days on the course as always. Royal County Down 2 days before I got married with a few relatives and a good mate was pretty nice. Great day as well, up until the last 2 holes where it bucketed down!
    Played in Tralee and Ballybunion with dad, uncle and bro in August, hugely enjoyable, especially as the weather finally behaved for two days in a row after 3 years playing the event in question. Making a comeback 8 footer in Tralee for my lone birdie of the day, under huge pressure from playing partners who had already secured the bird! Dinner was on me if I'd missed :D. Coming second with the ol' fella in a fourball in September. And any other day where myself or a player partner had a decent score.

Didn't really contend in enough significant events to have that many shots that stand out, good or bad...with the exception of one! The June medal, I stood on the 7th tee at -5 for the round. All sorts of thoughts going through my mind, and proceeded to absolutely pure a six iron towards the back left pin. I was a club big though, and left myself an impossible shot, from where a bogey was an inevitability. To go long was a bad mistake but it was a great swing at the very least. A host of bogeys followed but the only truly horrible shot I remember hitting was on 14, a pathetic rope hook into the water after a good drive on the index 1. Ended up with a 75, a sickening result. Anyway, that round contained arguably my best and my worst shot of the year.

Try to keep track of my scoring average, and hopefully improve on this year's effort. Continue to try my best on as many shots as possible and hopefully the handicap will drop by one or (lifelong ambition :)) 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Russman

Highlights:
    Hmmm, none really, worst scoring season ever. Full two shots back by September. I suppose having my last 7 or 8 games quite easily in the buffer, albeit without getting a cut, is progress of sorts.

Lowlights:
    See above !
    I guess having many "almost good" rounds ruined by 2 or 3 disaster/stupid holes would be the consistent lowlight.

Goals achieved:
    None.

Goals failed:
    Planned on being off 4 by seasons end, instead out to 8.

Great shots:
    Lots of outrageous up and downs, and lots of great 3rd shots into par 4s having pitched out sideways from trouble !

Worst shots:
    Too many to mention, usually tee shots on short, easy par 4s miles offline into trouble.

Plans and goals for 2016:
    1. Settle on a set of irons, I've been hopping between two old sets all year so going to either pick one or bench both sets and invest in a new one.
    2. Get more committed to shots on course as I can stand on the practice ground and hit shots to order with my teacher but struggle to take it to the course. See the fairway rather than the trouble.
    3. Try to enjoy the game again, it's been a while.
    4. Get back down to a low handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

highlights or low lights
    Highs - Managing a team (Barton Cup) and the fact that I've been nominated to be 2016 Vice Captain of Moate Golf Club which is a tremendous honour and I'm really looking forward to it.
    Lows - Losing 1st rd Barton Cup despite winning 2 games away, 2 home bankers lost!
    goals I achieved or failed
    Achieved a goal by playing on a club team (Pierce Purcell) - Failed by not getting hc down to 12.
    great shots / your worst
    Best shots usually off the tee, worst probably putts left way short.
    best day on the course , your worst.
    Any day on the course is a good day!
    plans and goals for 2016.
    To be a good Vice Captain, manage a team, play on a team, be more consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

[Your highlights

Developed a short game at last. Shot more cuts and buffers then 0.1s.

Long drive on a Boards outing 🙊

Low Lights

When I shot my 2 best rounds I went on a break for a month. Took me at least 2 months to get myself back to where I was mid season.

Your goals you achieved

HC goal was 5, too low realistically when starting from 12 but you need to aim big.
    Consistence was the other goal which I feel I've achieved. I can play consistently to 10 at the moment and have dropped from scratching an average of 3 holes/ round down to 1.

Failed

Failed to reach HC goal, but improved every aspect of my game especially the short game.

In a matchplay game was dormie with 2 to go, opponent birdies 17 and then sticks 1 to 2 foot on 18. Hit my shot to 3 feet, opponent turns and says "I'm not even going to get a chance to hit my putt". In my head I said "no", slotted it and picked up his coin for the handshake. He shoot a 74 and still lost.

Worst

First tee shot in the Jimmy Bruen in Birr, duck hook 50 yards left into the ****. the less said about that day the better.

Your best day on the course, you worst.

Shooting a nett 70 off the back sticks with CSS at 75, not even placed as a 65 came in. Normally medals are won with a 71 or 72 in our place. Both the best and worst!!

HC to get down to singles.
    Introduce my boys to golf and have fun with them on the course.
    Practice less but more of the right things.
    Play more boards outing.
    No inter-clubs next year my politics are not strong enough.
    Just enjoy it when I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Shooting under par in a competition off medal tees for the first time
    Losing a shot (5 to 4)
    3 wins and one best gross at my club
    GOY in my society

Getting to and holding on 4 handicap

None stand out

Both on the same day
    Had the best score in a 36 hole JSC only to be disqualified for not signing my card for the first 18 :(

Holding onto 4 would be enough
    Play more new courses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Highlights
    Nearly getting GOTY in the boards society.
    Winning Carton round and 2nd place in Naas.
    Playing in the Jug and winning our match (partnered with 3putt).
    Some flashes of half decent putting.
    Trying to smack the pis$ out of the driver on the 18th of Carton Monty while already on a good score. I didn't need it, but my playing partners all smashed their's so I had to try the same. So I tried. And it worked. Common sense 0 - Roadrunner 1.

Low lights
    Far too many snap hooks to count.
    Very poor distance control on less than full power approach shots (mostly overhitting).
    Poor chipping has started affecting scores.
    Didn't get out to play enough this summer.

Failed Goals:
    Did not join a course

Achieved goals:
    Rory ball.

Your great shots:
    Some nice irons in on par 3s through the year. Came close to ace a few times.

Your worst
    Many. My bad ones tend to be particularly destructive.

Best day on the course
    Carton, Naas, Druids & Heritage last weekend.

Worst day
    Snap hook ruined my day out in the curragh. Just couldn't hit the ball straight.

Join a club.
    Loose the snap hook.
    Take on a higher percentage of dumb shots (the feeling of whacking a ball as hard as you can over the trees/water and actually having it work out is totally worth a few lost balls)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Highlights
    A round of +3 for 15 holes in March, magical round, could do nothing wrong. Got to career low of 12.0 in June.
    Got to play most boards outings ever, just not enough to make the jug team.

Low lights
    Very disappointing performance in inter club comps. Was on three teams and only won one tie. What made it worse was that I was in the best form of 2015 at the time. Missed 4 or 5 Sunday qualifiers because of practice and matches. Looking back it was a great chance to get the handicap down.

Failing to build on early season form. Not for the first time, I came back after summer holidays and lost the momentum I had.

For the first time ever, got a dose of the yips. Still not fully cured.

Failed Goals:
    Failed to break 80 in a qualifying event. Did it twice during winter rules. In fairness came close a few times.

Achieved goals:
    Managed to get back to 12 with the last qualifying round of the year. Really satisfying as form was poor in last few months. But didn't improve as much as I hoped.

Your great shots:
    At a boards outing, I think. Overhit a short iron to a par 3 and ball lost. Ran back to the tee box and hit 3rd shot to 12 inches. Tapped in for a bogey and 1 point. Seriously satisfying.

Your worst
    No one in particular but I had a fair few shanks. And missed way to many really short putts.

Best day on the course
    The +3 round mentioned above.

Worst day
    Getting hammered 4&3 in an interclub match. Never got going.

Seriously considering switching clubs. Live close enough to New Forest. Smashing course. Maybe some new irons as well. Both decisions could affect my game so not sure what handicap to aim for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 The Hurricane

- Highlight winning Masters competition ( For all winners of all singles competitions throughout the year) in very tough conditions.

Shooting a personal best of 9 over off 16 in society outing and winning first prize.

- Out-driving a 1 handicapper several times in competition this year who is a notorious big hitter

-Finally birding hardest hole on home course after 8 years birding every single other hole in the first 2 years in the club

Finally winning a prize in a golf Digest event after 3 years of entering and being there even for a good few picky out's and getting sfa.

Winning 3 singles comps 2 seconds and 2 thirds all within 6 months

Low light:

- Allowing a absolute boll** get into my head over a very questionable non existent rules breech and costing me and my partner the winter league title.

-Finally made the debut for club away but getting well beaten.

-Scratching 2 holes that cost me first prize in Golf Digest event on home course and just missing winning a prize on count back

- Losing 6 shots since start of year 19 down to 13

- Finally making a profit out of entering the 2's competition this year
    - Failed to win captains prize again after being close only for a few wayward shots on front 9.

Your great shots, your worst
    3 wood to 6 feet to long par 3 in Golf digest event and getting weekend away prize

Driving greens 3 times downwind and making birdies eagles afterwards

Worst,

Duffing my opening drive in front of everyone competing in club trials for Club team after captain really talking me up. Made up by maiming rescue from cabbage onto green nearly 265 yards carry but of course no one saw that except lads who were playing with and were shocked.

Cruising in Golf digest event and hitting simple sand wedge out of very loose sand bunker into nevertobeseenagainland and having no score on hole finished with 39 and 42 won

Your best day on the course , you worst

Best Playing in golf digest event and ripping up front 9 with 22 points getting on monster par 5 in two hit 13 out of 14 fairways. Putted well drove well hit great irons and only scratched one hole.

Worst Mentioned above winter league final partner played well but let sneaky fecker get into my head and allowed it to affect my golf.

-Forget about mind games from opponents partners think about hitting just the next shot and giving it 100%
    -Work on chipping over the winter and get really confident with up and downs.
    -Become a much better putter
    -Try push for single figure handicap

Advertisement