Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stetsons and Stilettos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭George White

Just saw the end of this last night before Fair City. Complete absolute drivel. Had to look it up on the paper. Was disgusted to see it was actually a second series of this Stetsons and Stilettos drivel. I remember it from last year and it featured stupid boyband singers trying to sing 'country' and rude festival promoters who do not care about their customers. Is this how poorly RTE think about the payers of TV tax? A complete waste of TV taxpayers' money. Yet I notice there is no new series of Love/Hate or any other proper programmes people actually want to see.

It's a missed opp. There should be a proper documentary about Irish country, think something like BBC 4's Rock Britannia, etc. Chronicling the ups and downs, interviews with various luminaries, singers, producers. I'd watch.
    Stetsons and Stilettos is a confused attempt to be culchie TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

It's a missed opp. There should be a proper documentary about Irish country, think something like BBC 4's Rock Britannia, etc. Chronicling the ups and downs, interviews with various luminaries, singers, producers. I'd watch.
    Stetsons and Stilettos is a confused attempt to be culchie TV.

Same here. I'd watch a proper documentary detailing the history of Irish country music. Instead, they just want to push these modern singers at us who are imo not even country. There are of course much better singers than those who are famous out there making proper country music.

Stetsons and Stilettos is pushing the poor modern country pop style singers and nothing else. I remember seeing some of it last year and did not like the attitude of that Cowboy Heroes festival organiser from Longford at all. This along with the music was dire.

The main problem I have with this music is it is all RTE and the like will show. They ignore other superior styles of country music. When people come out and say they hate country music with a passion, it is this type of stuff they are talking about. These singers from the likes of Stetsons and Stilettos are caricatures really.

This modern scene should not be equated with the showbands and original Irish country music. Those genres gave us some quality singers like Joe Dolan and Brendan Bowyer who had unique and genuine voices. This modern stuff is full of fake voices and insincere insipid songs with daft lyrics.

Same here. I'd watch a proper documentary detailing the history of Irish country music. Instead, they just want to push these modern singers at us who are imo not even country. There are of course much better singers than those who are famous out there making proper country music.

Stetsons and Stilettos is pushing the poor modern country pop style singers and nothing else. I remember seeing some of it last year and did not like the attitude of that Cowboy Heroes festival organiser from Longford at all. This along with the music was dire.

The main problem I have with this music is it is all RTE and the like will show. They ignore other superior styles of country music. When people come out and say they hate country music with a passion, it is this type of stuff they are talking about. These singers from the likes of Stetsons and Stilettos are caricatures really.

This modern scene should not be equated with the showbands and original Irish country music. Those genres gave us some quality singers like Joe Dolan and Brendan Bowyer who had unique and genuine voices. This modern stuff is full of fake voices and insincere insipid songs with daft lyrics.

I've written letters to the Indo and the Farmer's Journal to acknowledge that boyfolk is a thing and it's different to country. And they won't budge. And I told them the term originated here on this forum from you, BP.

I've written letters to the Indo and the Farmer's Journal to acknowledge that boyfolk is a thing and it's different to country. And they won't budge. And I told them the term originated here on this forum from you, BP.

Boyfolk or whatever one wants to call it is different to country music and should be recognised as such. Ever since these reality talent competitions came into being, I think music has suffered. Them and failed boybands are the cause of all these poor genres of music.

What annoys me about this is everyone knows it is all poor fare (talent shows, boybands and boyfolk) and everyone is always giving out about it and surely those in the media are not listening to these types when they play music. Yet there is no attempt to support something different and the same old tripe is pushed at us during the prime hours on the main channels all the time.

Winners emerge from these talent shows not because they are the best but because they can produce a particular sound. Overhyped bands and singers then get launched and a few years later they try their luck with 'country music'.

I could have tolerated Stetsons and Stilettos as a one off or if it explored other forms of country music. But 2 series of identical fare is not needed at all. It seems TV love making these trashy programmes like this or those things like The Voice of Ireland because they are cheap to make. As long as the gullible will follow them, they can give the 2 fingers to the real majority who don't want these shows at all.

I've written a letter to the production company and RTE claiming they should make a documentary about Irish country music, interviewing various producers, DJs, artists, chronicling from the showbands to today, as my parents want to see country music and its artists not Dymphna from Ballycastle who's divorced but loves jiving.

• Advertisement

I've written a letter to the production company and RTE claiming they should make a documentary about Irish country music, interviewing various producers, DJs, artists, chronicling from the showbands to today, as my parents want to see country music and its artists not Dymphna from Ballycastle who's divorced but loves jiving.

I'd agree. Better country music makers should be shown as well. The stuff like this Ritchie Remo about tractors is not proper country music and either is this boyfolk stuff from the likes of Lee Matthews. There is more to Irish music than this awful stuff.

Stetsons and Stilettos is cheap reality TV at its worst. I for one have no interest in seeing divorced dancers like this Dymphna from what is when I last checked a foreign country's town.

I told the production company, "the problem is that Stetsons and Stilettos is a series not focused on country. my parents dislike it"

their reply on twitter was " it's a bit of fun for a cold, dark Sunday night, my advice would be not to take it too seriously."
    is that Stetsons and Stilettos is a series not focused on country. my parents dislike it

i added it is billed as a look into the world of Irish country.
    I replied, "A better subject perhaps would be the weird world of rural Ireland, rather than try to cash in on boyfolk fever."

I also told them on twitter that they should regard boyfolk as its own subgenre of country.
    Their reply was, "t's a broad church, sure your one Beyoncé is now a country singer #KeepErCountry".

I told the production company, "the problem is that Stetsons and Stilettos is a series not focused on country. my parents dislike it"

their reply on twitter was " it's a bit of fun for a cold, dark Sunday night, my advice would be not to take it too seriously."
    is that Stetsons and Stilettos is a series not focused on country. my parents dislike it

i added it is billed as a look into the world of Irish country.
    I replied, "A better subject perhaps would be the weird world of rural Ireland, rather than try to cash in on boyfolk fever."

I also told them on twitter that they should regard boyfolk as its own subgenre of country.
    Their reply was, "t's a broad church, sure your one Beyoncé is now a country singer #KeepErCountry".

The problem is that this is all they can show and it is a sad reflection on things if RTE cannot show that many decent music shows at all and will have stuff like this on constantly. Good music then suffers as a result of the constant promotion of poor quality acts like Ritchie Remo or Lee Matthews.

There is nothing particularly rural about a lot of these singers and they smack of fakeness and insincerity. A lot of the singers on this Stetsons and Stilettos are much much worse than those who are on Glor Tire or appear on Tubridy's show and the like.

I think that when boybands, Louis Walsh and talent shows took over things went downhill and real music was silenced. Music programmes became vehicles for them and out the window went anything more mature. Sad. Boyfolk or whatever we want to call it is a byproduct of this and the first time that this type of music has broke free of its pop borders.

The problem with the media is they can justify stuff like this as some gullible people will watch it without question. As long as enough tune in they can justify an audience. The music is always associated with dancing and live events too rather than recorded to be enjoyed as music. Take this out of the equation and this scene would be totally shown up for a creator of the worst music ever made in Ireland.

Just heard that this heap of tripe is back for a 3rd series. Come on, RTE. What the hell are you playing at? More bad pop music and reality TV YET again along with all the other shows of the same ilk on already.

I recently discovered this documentary on the showbands, and this is how it should be done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es7wgRWBNDY A documentary like this would be an excellent starting off point.

• Advertisement

I recently discovered this documentary on the showbands, and this is how it should be done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es7wgRWBNDY A documentary like this would be an excellent starting off point.

That's how it should be done. The media pushing this ex boyband singer and ex talent show contestant stuff and passing it off as 'country music' is wrong and dishonest. Call it pop and be done with it. Yes, there meanwhile exists an audience who want to hear real country music like bluegrass, blues and westernswing/honky tonk and they are NOT getting it. They don't want some boyband singer who is trying to be rural Ireland's answer to Nicky Byrne. Wait until Niall Horan launches his 'country' career. This will be the ultimate one pushed by the media. Surprised it has not happened already.

He's still an international star. When that well dries up, or lose money, a la Shane Filan, he'll go that route.

He's still an international star. When that well dries up, or lose money, a la Shane Filan, he'll go that route.

Yes and the Irish media will be there to push him and make a god out of him as usual. It is time to move on from this idolatry of boybands and talent show contestants singing disposable drivel and for real music and singing to get a chance again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,412 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

To get back on topic, the thing that amazes me from a Dublin viewpoint is the absence of any embarrassment for the younger folks involved. It's like they are completely blind to just how congenitally uncool this scene is.

Or maybe they just don't give a toss what is cool and what's not, which could be a positive thing perhaps.

The one Carter fan I know who is young is already a mother of three young women and still only 30. It's an escape.

To get back on topic, the thing that amazes me from a Dublin viewpoint is the absence of any embarrassment for the younger folks involved. It's like they are completely blind to just how congenitally uncool this scene is.

Or maybe they just don't give a toss what is cool and what's not, which could be a positive thing perhaps.

They don't care what is cool or uncool or who has talent and who hasn't. The media just want to push certain personalities on us. To be in with a better chance in the Irish 'music' scene, you need to be an ex boyband singer or a talent show contestant.

Us the payers of TV tax should have more of a say with how RTE spend our money. Drivel like Stetsons and Stilettos promoting the worst form of music ever made that 99% of people hate is the two fingers to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭brian_t

Us the payers of TV tax should have more of a say with how RTE spend our money. Drivel like Stetsons and Stilettos promoting the worst form of music ever made that 99% of people hate is the two fingers to us.
    RTE are not going to be influenced by a couple of posters on the internet quoting made-up statistics.

You need to get viewers to stop watching these programmes.

brian_t wrote: »
    RTE are not going to be influenced by a couple of posters on the internet quoting made-up statistics.

You need to get viewers to stop watching these programmes.

Every ould programme on TV will get viewers. As long as the same gullible minority tune in, that justifies it. As regards statistics: go ask 1000 people and most will agree that TV has gone to the dogs of late. Too much of this reality stuff. I am sure there are people who cannot get enough of this stuff but it is unfair on the rest of us.

I'd like to sit down and watch a good drama like Love/Hate or a concert by a good singer than a diet of The Voice of Ireland, Room To Improve, Stetsons and Stilettos and Dragons Den. And I am pretty sure there are 100s of 1000s who would back me up.

I told the producers tht the music is not country, and they said, "It's not to be taken seriously, just a bit of fun on a cold dark night." And I was outraged. "Country music isn't "a bit of fun". It's heart and soul put into music.
    Might try to get in contact with the production company again, and try to convince them what country music actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭roosterman71

A lot of people are getting very hot under the collar about a programme here! Sure most programs on the telly are absolute drivel. And this is no different. Plenty of people like this music, plenty like going to the dances, etc. So why not cater for people that do like it? Not everyone is into the environment (EcoEye), or soaps, or Nationwide, etc, etc.

If it's not your taste, don't watch (except maybe for a bit of cringe!). And mail RTE/whoever asking them to put on programmes for other genres instead of trying to remove one they have done

• Advertisement

The thing is, I have, and I have again.
    There's people out there who could do a good documentary, someone like Paul Duane. But no, the people who make Stetsons and Stilettos don't seem to have any love for the genre, or respect, even.

A lot of people are getting very hot under the collar about a programme here! Sure most programs on the telly are absolute drivel. And this is no different. Plenty of people like this music, plenty like going to the dances, etc. So why not cater for people that do like it? Not everyone is into the environment (EcoEye), or soaps, or Nationwide, etc, etc.

If it's not your taste, don't watch (except maybe for a bit of cringe!). And mail RTE/whoever asking them to put on programmes for other genres instead of trying to remove one they have done

I have no objections to any programmes shown as long as each category is equally catered for. This is not the case. As well as this, we have to pay a tax in this country to RTE so we should have more of a say. RTE should support ALL forms of music but they don't. That's the problem.

Yes, some people want this. As well as this, there are fans of country music who want to hear proper country music. This drivel pushed at us is as far removed as possible from proper country singers like Hank Williams, Jim Reeves, Marty Robbins, Lefty Frizzell and Moon Mullican. RTE should be more open to other styles. The closed shop mentality and deliberate desire to ignore a lot of singers is the main problem.

Sure, a lot of people go to dances. The calibre of the performers playing them vary a lot too. There are some great entertainers out there. They get featured a lot less and often not at all by the media though.

I agree this Stetsons and Stilettos is no different to the other drivel. That's also the problem. The traditional TV stations are often complaining about things like Netflix. The simple fact is Netflix along with the availability of DVDs and downloads from other services like Sky have filled the void. If RTE want to compete with these, they need to upgrade and improve their programmes.

The thing is, I have, and I have again.
    There's people out there who could do a good documentary, someone like Paul Duane. But no, the people who make Stetsons and Stilettos don't seem to have any love for the genre, or respect, even.

Very true. It is pointless emailing RTE. They completely ignore people and continue to push the same old stuff. No wonder TV viewers are declining year after year. Whoever makes this Stetsons and Stilettos haven't got a clue about country music and instead thrive on all the inaccurate clichés that accompany the essentially pop singers who get featured.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I have no objections to any programmes shown as long as each category is equally catered for. This is not the case. As well as this, we have to pay a tax in this country to RTE so we should have more of a say. RTE should support ALL forms of music but they don't. That's the problem.

Yes, some people want this. As well as this, there are fans of country music who want to hear proper country music. This drivel pushed at us is as far removed as possible from proper country singers like Hank Williams, Jim Reeves, Marty Robbins, Lefty Frizzell and Moon Mullican. RTE should be more open to other styles. The closed shop mentality and deliberate desire to ignore a lot of singers is the main problem.

Sure, a lot of people go to dances. The calibre of the performers playing them vary a lot too. There are some great entertainers out there. They get featured a lot less and often not at all by the media though.

I agree this Stetsons and Stilettos is no different to the other drivel. That's also the problem. The traditional TV stations are often complaining about things like Netflix. The simple fact is Netflix along with the availability of DVDs and downloads from other services like Sky have filled the void. If RTE want to compete with these, they need to upgrade and improve their programmes.

I agree with most of this, but there are other music genres catered for. "Other Voices" is one that immediately springs to mind. And they do the Irish bits and pieces during the Fleadh time of the year.

This is 100% correct. On these shows, and on the one on the Late Late coming up, it will only feature already well known names, or older performers out telling tales of a different era. There are thousands of musicians up and down the country entertaining people on the dancing circuit and there's never a mention. Which is a shame as without them, the bigger well known names would be nowhere

I'm not emailing RTE. I emailed Alleycats TV, the production company, and I asked them are they country fans?
    No answer yet.

I'm not emailing RTE. I emailed Alleycats TV, the production company, and I asked them are they country fans?
    No answer yet.

I would get the feeling that no one apart from the gullible fans believe in this or like this excuse for music. It is all about money. This scene is awash with that while RTE and the like are not. Alleycats are glad of the cash too but ask anyone in private if they like this woeful music, they'd tell you no. Ryan Tubridy is into swing and lounge music for example and I think the Beatles too.

Looking at that dodgy festival promoter from Ballinamore, Northern Ireland. Really nasty piece of work. Where do all these upstarts get their money to launch festivals, live acts and radio stations. A lot of questions to be answered.

Tubridy has made clear that he wasn't into the stuff beforehand, and "he is enjoyng exploring this new genre".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

I grew up in the border region. There are areas of my county (Very rural areas) where children are reared listening to this ****, live in the area for the rest of their lives and don't travel. They know no different. All they were into was rallying, Gareth Brooks. In fairness from.what I can see very few get drunk and the exercise is great from all the jiving. Although I find the jiving method very rigid and not like the 50's rock and roll jiving which is a real skill. Don't get me started on line dancing....dancing for people who can't dance. Look if there silly enough to pay to listen to glorified karaoke singers, leave them at it. At least they'll have a reduced risk of cardiac disease with all the dancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Jaysis this is on again at the moment, its such a laugh

• Advertisement

physioman wrote: »
    I grew up in the border region. There are areas of my county (Very rural areas) where children are reared listening to this ****, live in the area for the rest of their lives and don't travel. They know no different. All they were into was rallying, Gareth Brooks. In fairness from.what I can see very few get drunk and the exercise is great from all the jiving. Although I find the jiving method very rigid and not like the 50's rock and roll jiving which is a real skill. Don't get me started on line dancing....dancing for people who can't dance. Look if there silly enough to pay to listen to glorified karaoke singers, leave them at it. At least they'll have a reduced risk of cardiac disease with all the dancing.

It is desperate drivel. Glorified karaoke singers is one way of putting it. Actually you'd hear much better karaoke acts. Why this drivel has taken hold in some places I don't know. Donegal and Tyrone seem to be the worst affected places. I take it you are from Donegal. I have been on holiday there a few times and noticed every place you went, there was a local radio station. They are full of this tripe and played nothing else but adults and children singing this awful excuse for music.

I do not like how this scene hijacks terms. Country music is one. It ain't. It is modern pop combined with a mix of 'country' clichés and paddywhackery. Jiving is another. You are right: that term is a 1950s rock 'n' roll term and is being ABUSED here on this woeful modern scene.

I agree 100% with you on line dancing. It angers me that a lot of people equate country music with just line dancing and Garth Brooks' poppier songs. That is all the Irish media want to push. There is great country music and the older material is very blues and jazz based which would come as a surprise to those who only know the modern drivel from here and current Nashville.

Take the dancing out of this modern scene and it would be exposed. The songs are rubbish and so is the singing. It is very lightweight and the music has no merits on its own.

Advertisement