Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Place to Buy Belgian Beer in Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

GRR
    Got letter this morning from Revenue, saying my order from BelgianBeerFactory has been seized under Section 125 of the Finance Act

FFS
    Can appeal it.

I know this forum, has had lots of people warning against this, but it also have way more people talking about stuff it did order online without any issue. So please no, "i told ya so"

Has anyone else done an appeal on a seizure? Any advice here much appreciated.
    Its not a lot of booze, 8 liters in total.
    Also, there was a few glasses, if I lose the appeal are they forfeit as well because they were part of shipment? If so, that seems really unfair.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

there was a few glasses, if I lose the appeal are they forfeit as well because they were part of shipment?
    I wouldn't say so. Revenue says:
    Goods ordered by a private individual, over the Internet or from a mail order catalogue, from EU Member States are not liable to Customs Duty. However, they are normally liable to VAT at the rate chargeable in that country and this amount is included in the purchase price of the goods.
    which would suggest that the Belgian VAT you paid is fine on these, but there could be more to it than that.

Also, there was a few glasses, if I lose the appeal are they forfeit as well because they were part of shipment? If so, that seems really unfair.

Day just keeps getting better..
    Section 125 "Any excisable products in respect of which an offence has been committed under section 119 or 121 or any goods which are packed with or used in concealing such products, are liable to forfeiture"

seems to indicate the glasses are classed same as beer because packaged together.

Ah. That's the more to it. It would be administratively awkward to give smugglers back the teddy beers they stuffed the contraband into.

Just to note, btw: your beef here is with BelgianBeerFactory. They fecked up your order by not paying Irish tax on it before shipping. I'd have thought they owe you a refund at the very least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,538 ✭✭✭✭L1011

BeerNut wrote: »
    Ah. That's the more to it. It would be administratively awkward to give smugglers back the teddy beers they stuffed the contraband into.

Just to note, btw: your beef here is with BelgianBeerFactory. They fecked up your order by not paying Irish tax on it before shipping. I'd have thought they owe you a refund at the very least.

Do they ever claim to pay it, though? They shouldn't even attempt to sell to Ireland if they don't but there's a very good chance they never have.

Non delivery would be covered by a credit card chargeback.

L1011 wrote: »
    Do they ever claim to pay it, though?
    What they say doesn't matter: they're obliged under Irish law to do it before sending goods to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

This is why I always pay with PayPal, easier to claim back funds due to non-receipt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

GRR
    Got letter this morning from Revenue, saying my order from BelgianBeerFactory has been seized under Section 125 of the Finance Act

FFS
    Can appeal it.

I know this forum, has had lots of people warning against this, but it also have way more people talking about stuff it did order online without any issue. So please no, "i told ya so"

Has anyone else done an appeal on a seizure? Any advice here much appreciated.
    Its not a lot of booze, 8 liters in total.
    Are they not giving you the opportunity to pay the excise?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

Are they not giving you the opportunity to pay the excise?

Not an option, you need an import licence to pay excise
    BeerNut wrote: »
    What they say doesn't matter: they're obliged under Irish law to do it before sending goods to Ireland.

Would not be surprised if their T&Cs try to wave that away. They need to but I doubt they ever did pay it. Chargeback should work - enough and they'll stop shipping to Ireland

Courier was dpd.
    Shipment made it to Athlone.
    No option to pay any excise. Right to appeal and if I appeal, they may agree terms or they may not and they may start legal proceeding for the forfeiture of the goods.
    If no appeal, they will "sell or destroy or otherwise"
    There is also mention on the letter, that when an excise offense is committed the offender is liable for prosecution.
    Letter kinda indicates to me, best thing to do is let revenue alone and try and get refund from BBF or via chargeback.

Sigh........

when an excise offense is committed the offender is liable for prosecution.
    Letter kinda indicates to me, best thing to do is let revenue alone and try and get refund from BBF or via chargeback.

Unless - and I'm fairly sure this is an impossibility - you can get proof from the seller that they did in fact pay the excise in advance there is nothing to appeal.

I'd also not try another order, as being 'caught' repeatedly would make them rather more likely to prosecute as they'd see it as actual smuggling attempts, not a mistake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

This is terrible news. My wife has an order as a Xmas present for me with glasses too. She got her tracking number last week but still isn't showing up on the dpd website. She emailed yesterday asking for a status update and got the a reply saying they guarantee Xmas delivery. She gave the another mail this morning saying she'll be given a different tracking number later today, which she hasn't gotten yet. Have you made contact with the beer factory yet and what was their response?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Courier was dpd.
    Shipment made it to Athlone.
    No option to pay any excise. Right to appeal and if I appeal, they may agree terms or they may not and they may start legal proceeding for the forfeiture of the goods.
    If no appeal, they will "sell or destroy or otherwise"
    There is also mention on the letter, that when an excise offense is committed the offender is liable for prosecution.

Sigh........

"sell or destroy or otherwise". Otherwise we'll be having it on Christmas Day lol.

It's rudiculous though. Should let it through for first time. Not like it's drugs from Thailand ffs. Thought that's how the eu was meant to work ...that we were one community, well one community to me means you can buy legal products in any member state and use here. But unfortunately that's not the reality.

Over the last couple months I got boxes of 24 German beers via Amazon delivered via DHL world packet / an post and no problems. That's not saying there won't be in the future though.

Bah humbug revenue

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 174 Verified rep DPD Ireland: Liam

aaronm13 wrote: »
    This is terrible news. My wife has an order as a Xmas present for me with glasses too. She got her tracking number last week but still isn't showing up on the dpd website. She emailed yesterday asking for a status update and got the a reply saying they guarantee Xmas delivery. She gave the another mail this morning saying she'll be given a different tracking number later today, which she hasn't gotten yet. Have you made contact with the beer factory yet and what was their response?

Hi Aaron,

Please let me know if there's anything I could do to help. PM me your tracking number and I'll follow up asap.

When I got my original tracking number, it showed up as "info submitted to dpd or something like that"
    Stayed like that for a week, I mailed BBF, got email saying I would get new code, which I did within minutes of email.
    New code showed up on dpd site and following day was listed as in transit.
    So, if you didn't get a second tracking code, I'd say your order is still with BBF

I emailed BBF about the seizure, I didn't get a reply yet, but its only been 24 hours. I think best thing is for me to seek chargeback via bank.

When I got my original tracking number, it showed up as "info submitted to dpd or something like that"
    Stayed like that for a week, I mailed BBF, got email saying I would get new code, which I did within minutes of email.
    New code showed up on dpd site and following day was listed as in transit.
    So, if you didn't get a second tracking code, I'd say your order is still with BBF

I emailed BBF about the seizure, I didn't get a reply yet, but its only been 24 hours. I think best thing is for me to seek chargeback via bank.

She's still waiting to get the new tracking number but got yet another email this morning to say, don't worry your order will still be delivered by Xmas. Those feckers in revenue better keep their paws off my St. Bernardus 12. Thanks Liam in dpd I'll pm you the original tracking number, but up to last night it still showed the same message about info sent to dpd.

. Those feckers in revenue better keep their paws off my St. Bernardus 12.

Well they already have mine :-( and the 6 and the 8...and....and :-(

Well they already have mine :-( and the 6 and the 8...and....and :-(

It's killing me even thinking about it. Going to be a dry Christmas in my house. Let me know if the BBF get back to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭tomhalloween

My order was also seized today

My order was also seized today

I feel your pain.
    Man, its not nice.

I feel your pain.
    Man, its not nice.
    Dpd athlone also

Dpd athlone also

Do all dpd orders coming into Ireland come through Athlone? I'm based in Dublin. Going to mail the BBF and see if I can change delivery to my Parcel Motel address up north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Do all dpd orders coming into Ireland come through Athlone? I'm based in Dublin. Going to mail the BBF and see if I can change delivery to my Parcel Motel address up north.
    Parcel Motel will not accept alcohol.

Yes, and Parcel Motel will reject (back to sender rather than seize) alcohol if they detect it.

UK Customs may also seize.

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Parcel Motel will not accept alcohol.

Feck, thanks for the heads up. What about dpd Parcel wizard up the north. Would that have to go through Athlone. I used it a few weeks ago to get beer from the UK and it was fine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Ordered a load from Belgian Happiness myself, worried now, did anyone get their order from them seized or was it all from BBF?

Feck, thanks for the heads up. What about dpd Parcel wizard up the north. Would that have to go through Athlone. I used it a few weeks ago to get beer from the UK and it was fine?

Hi there,

In regards to our Parcel Wizard service, I'm afraid that we can't carry liquids.

For a full list of the goods not accepted for carriage please click on the link below.

http://dpd.ie/Shipping/Goods-not-accepted-for-Carriage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Liam can you give us any advice regarding the purchase of beer online ? What's the sp on it ? Allowed ? Not allowed ?? And I don't mean by dpd, I mean in general shopping/shipping terms. Thanks

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Liam can you give us any advice regarding the purchase of beer online ? What's the sp on it ? Allowed ? Not allowed ?? And I don't mean by dpd, I mean in general shopping/shipping terms. Thanks

In general its only allowed/legal if the seller pays the duty. Some sites such as Master of Malt do (and use DPD at that). If its cheap it probably doesn't

vicwatson wrote: »

Hello again,

I'm afraid we are not authorised to ship alcohol. Sorry guys. However, let me know if you need any help with parcels that are already travelling through our network.

Hello again,

I'm afraid we are not authorised to ship alcohol. Sorry guys. However, let me know if you need any help with parcels that are already travelling through our network.

I have an order going through DPD from Belgium with alcohol in it, but there's chocolates and glasses in the same box. If this order gets intercepted by revenue or customs, what's the story then? Will they take it all off me or just the booze?

martyos121 wrote: »
    I have an order going through DPD from Belgium with alcohol in it, but there's chocolates and glasses in the same box. If this order gets intercepted by revenue or customs, what's the story then? Will they take it all off me or just the booze?

Revenue will take the lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

This isn't an I Told you so, but,

Personally if I'm ordering any goods from outside the EU, I do so well in advance of xmas, as revenue always seem to be more vigilant that time of year.

On occasion with items shipped from either the US or the EU, that may attract extra taxes, I have been 'lucky' that the sender 'accidentally' labeled the goods incorrectly with the wrong description and value.

But to intentionally do that would be illegal..

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

Just a heads up..the packaging isn't discrete. It has "BEER" in big writing emblazoned on the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 LesIsMore

I ordered 4 cases on 2 Dec , delivered to drogheda by DPD yesterday , BEER emblazoned all over. Got lucky I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Just a heads up..the packaging isn't discrete. It has "BEER" in big writing emblazoned on the box.

That just might tip off revenue

My order got shipped last night. The waiting game starts. Fingers crossed it gets through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 JosephPatrick

Has anybody else had trouble getting in contact with the Belgian Beer Factory?

I've sent him an email last week to ask about the status of my order and got a reply telling me it was fine and would ship in a couple of days but it didn't. Have contacted him twice this week and left a couple of days between emails to wait for a response but haven't heard a thing. Can't find any phone number online either.

He lost 11 bottles from my order.. Emails and Facebook messages, no answer... I called him out on twitter about the missing bottles and poor customer service and he contacted me straight away

He lost 11 bottles from my order.. Emails and Facebook messages, no answer... I called him out on twitter about the missing bottles and poor customer service and he contacted me straight away

Thanks I'll give that a go. Ordering from him is turning out to be a bit of an ordeal.

I won't be using him again

I emailed him and also made contact via twitter regarding part of my order that hasnt been dispatched. No response.

If he doesn't reply by the morning I'm going to ask AIB to do a chargeback. He's been replying to others from the UK on facebook but I shouldn't have to use my personal Facebook or twitter accounts to try and force a response from him.

I'm sure he's busy with lots of Christmas orders and all that but you can't just completely ignore customers weeks after taking payment for the orders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

Republic of Ireland has been removed as a possible shipment country from the Belgian Beer Factory website.

martyos121 wrote: »

Hi there,

It depends on the Customs and Excise officers.

LesIsMore wrote: »
    I ordered 4 cases on 2 Dec , delivered to drogheda by DPD yesterday , BEER emblazoned all over. Got lucky I suppose

We have no authority to stop or confiscate a parcel ourselves. The parcel might have beer all over it but it contain other goods. It always depends on the Customs and Excise officers I'm afraid..

Just got 24 bottles, a glass and a big box of Belgian chocolates from Belgian Happiness, no problems with revenue, massively relieved that I can enjoy Christmas with a few bottles of Westvleteren 12 now! :D

For anyone who got their booze seized, I really feel for ye though. Either I got lucky with my order or Belgian Happiness pay duties because the packaging isn't so discreet. Also extremely well packaged I must say, the glass was so protected in bubble wrap I could've thrown it at a wall.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I should get a job with Customs and Excise. Sounds like I'd get a bumper harvest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement