Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Place to Buy Belgian Beer in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Maybe one of the selection crates. I like to mix it up, I never stick to the same stuff for too long! I assume you can't get Bernardus Abt 12 and Chouffe Houblon in Ireland?

You can in good shops

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Maybe one of the selection crates.
    Oh right, the "beer boxes". The IPA one looks good and the Famous Belgian Beers one has only a small amount of rubbish in it. But very few of the beers the site sells are not available in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Might leave it off so. I'm in Kilkenny so not much going on down here in terms of choice compared to Dublin. That being said, The Wine Centre is great and do have a large Belgian selection. I just haven't explored it.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Hockney

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    As far I know the onus to pay excise duties in the member state of the purchaser, in the case of distance selling, rests upon the vendor, although I'm open to correction.

Another vote for Belgian Beer factory! Got 24 x Westmalle shipped to the door for €63 including taxes and shipping. That would've been €95 to buy in most off licences here, so a 33% saving without having to take your slippers off.

Mesrine, I think you're correct, whatever VAT/excise I paid, I paid on the website. No questions asked on delivery.

They were also cheaper than any other online options I could find. Beers were wrapped up with kid gloves also, the box took a fairly decent impact somewhere along the way but they had each one individually padded.

How could you say no to some of these gift packs?!

http://www.belgianbeerfactory.com/gift-keg-present/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

good to hear about your order,, ordered 3 mixed boxes last night for 99 incl delivery. about 45 beers so hope no hassle with customs. anybody ordered that many before and if so, how did you get on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kaltz

Hockney wrote: »
    Another vote for Belgian Beer factory! Got 24 x Westmalle shipped to the door for €63 including taxes and shipping. That would've been €95 to buy in most off licences here, so a 33% saving without having to take your slippers off.

Mesrine, I think you're correct, whatever VAT/excise I paid, I paid on the website. No questions asked on delivery.

They were also cheaper than any other online options I could find. Beers were wrapped up with kid gloves also, the box took a fairly decent impact somewhere along the way but they had each one individually padded.

How could you say no to some of these gift packs?!

http://www.belgianbeerfactory.com/gift-keg-present/

Who did you use for delivery? Probably wont risk getting them this side of Christmas but might be a nice New Years present to me.

Scratch that - just seen the delivery options on the site. DOH

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

I placed an order with Belgian Beer factory on 20th Nov.
    Got tracking number on 3rd Dec

That number indicates its still not moved anywhere.
    "Order information has been transmitted to DPD."

I emailed them yesterday, got no reply yet.

Started to get a bit worried I won't have it before Christmas.
    First time ordering from them, prices and delivery cost are great, but if the stuff doesn't arrive soon it will have been a waste of a chunk of my Christmas beer budget :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

He's up to his tits with orders this time of year, replying to e-mails is low on the list of priorities at the best of times.

Orders can take up to 4-6 weeks during Xmas season, I always order the first 2 weeks of November in time for Xmas delivery.

Tracking codes are sent to DPD in batches, might be 2 weeks before they actually have hands-on the goods for shipping.

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    He's up to his tits with orders this time of year, replying to e-mails is low on the list of priorities at the best of times.

Orders can take up to 4-6 weeks during Xmas season, I always order the first 2 weeks of November in time for Xmas delivery.

Tracking codes are sent to DPD in batches, might be 2 weeks before they actually have hands-on the goods for shipping.

Thanks for reply.
    I understand it probably manic and all that, info on site said to order before 27th Nov for Christmas delivery. I ordered a week before that.
    Its kinda frustrating to think the beers are sitting in a box for the last week just waiting for courier to collect.
    I'll keep fingers crossed and hope it gets here on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jupiler_beer

Has anyone ordered the 6l kegs, what is the Philips Draft System like for dispensing the beer? Would it be worth the investment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭tomhalloween

Ideo wrote: »
    good to hear about your order,, ordered 3 mixed boxes last night for 99 incl delivery. about 45 beers so hope no hassle with customs. anybody ordered that many before and if so, how did you get on?
    I made an order of 4 crates of beer on Nov 27th and it still hasn't been dispatched. Hopefully it's her for Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Myself and some homebrew mates put in an order a few weeks back.
    First order arrived with 1 bottle missing.

Second order arrived a few days later with you 9 bottles missing.

With a few emails and tweets were getting a refund for the missing beers.

Got a reply from Belgian Beer Factory and a new tracking code.
    Said I should have order later this week or Monday.

If that happens, I'd be a happy camper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

Got a reply from Belgian Beer Factory and a new tracking code.
    Said I should have order later this week or Monday.

If that happens, I'd be a happy camper.

will you give us an update as to how you got on? how many beers did you order btw?

Ideo wrote: »
    will you give us an update as to how you got on? how many beers did you order btw?

Will do.
    Just testing the waters as first order really.
    Ordered 24 bottles and 4 glasses.
    Worked out that compared to Irish off license prices after adding in postage, I'm basically getting the glasses free (Assuming all goes ok with the order!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Yes.
    (it's easier to just look it up instead of waiting for a Boardsie to do it for you.)

Patww79 wrote: »

Hum....If you read earlier posts on this thread, you will see you have almost certainly missed the boat on getting an order from BelgianBeerFactory before Christmas.
    Order by all means, but factor it that it almost certainly won't arrive before 25th.

My order from Nov 20th, is now in England, so getting close!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Patww79 wrote: »

Did you actually type in Jupiler into the Belgianbeerfactory site mentioned earlier? Really?

• Advertisement

GRR
    Got letter this morning from Revenue, saying my order from BelgianBeerFactory has been seized under Section 125 of the Finance Act

FFS
    Can appeal it.

I know this forum, has had lots of people warning against this, but it also have way more people talking about stuff it did order online without any issue. So please no, "i told ya so"

Has anyone else done an appeal on a seizure? Any advice here much appreciated.
    Its not a lot of booze, 8 liters in total.
    Also, there was a few glasses, if I lose the appeal are they forfeit as well because they were part of shipment? If so, that seems really unfair.

there was a few glasses, if I lose the appeal are they forfeit as well because they were part of shipment?
    I wouldn't say so. Revenue says:
    Goods ordered by a private individual, over the Internet or from a mail order catalogue, from EU Member States are not liable to Customs Duty. However, they are normally liable to VAT at the rate chargeable in that country and this amount is included in the purchase price of the goods.
    which would suggest that the Belgian VAT you paid is fine on these, but there could be more to it than that.

Also, there was a few glasses, if I lose the appeal are they forfeit as well because they were part of shipment? If so, that seems really unfair.

Day just keeps getting better..
    Section 125 "Any excisable products in respect of which an offence has been committed under section 119 or 121 or any goods which are packed with or used in concealing such products, are liable to forfeiture"

seems to indicate the glasses are classed same as beer because packaged together.

Ah. That's the more to it. It would be administratively awkward to give smugglers back the teddy beers they stuffed the contraband into.

Just to note, btw: your beef here is with BelgianBeerFactory. They fecked up your order by not paying Irish tax on it before shipping. I'd have thought they owe you a refund at the very least.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

BeerNut wrote: »
    Ah. That's the more to it. It would be administratively awkward to give smugglers back the teddy beers they stuffed the contraband into.

Just to note, btw: your beef here is with BelgianBeerFactory. They fecked up your order by not paying Irish tax on it before shipping. I'd have thought they owe you a refund at the very least.

Do they ever claim to pay it, though? They shouldn't even attempt to sell to Ireland if they don't but there's a very good chance they never have.

Non delivery would be covered by a credit card chargeback.

L1011 wrote: »
    Do they ever claim to pay it, though?
    What they say doesn't matter: they're obliged under Irish law to do it before sending goods to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

This is why I always pay with PayPal, easier to claim back funds due to non-receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

GRR
    Got letter this morning from Revenue, saying my order from BelgianBeerFactory has been seized under Section 125 of the Finance Act

FFS
    Can appeal it.

I know this forum, has had lots of people warning against this, but it also have way more people talking about stuff it did order online without any issue. So please no, "i told ya so"

Has anyone else done an appeal on a seizure? Any advice here much appreciated.
    Its not a lot of booze, 8 liters in total.
    Are they not giving you the opportunity to pay the excise?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

Advertisement