Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often do you bathe your baby/toddler?

Options
  • 29-10-2015 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

When my little boy was born, I gave him a bath every single day. I was actually afraid to leave the house unless he had a bath in case someone looked into the buggy and said he was dirty :pac: When my little girl was born, I simply didn't have the time (or inclination!) any more so my boys baths were limited to twice a week with a quick top and tail in between. My little girl had eczema and needed to be bathed daily for the first few months to get it under control.

Now we're at the stage where both kids have a bath every saturday. Of course if they manage to get very dirty in between, they will have a second bath midweek but this is rarely necessary. Hands, face and bums are washed daily and every second day they get a quick all over top and tail. Is once a week enough for a full bath? My toddler isn't the type to get into everything and get filthy. I was reading on another forum where one poster accused another of neglect because she only gave her child a bath once a week. It's enough of a faff to do it once a week, I think!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

My nearly 4 year old has had a bath nearly every day of her life :) I only wash her hair once or twice a week.
    I only have the one child though. If I had more it might be a different story. ;)

I don't think there is anything wrong with bathing a child once a week if that's what suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I bath my two youngest once a week they are 5 and 3. And shock horror they have a bath together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

My 2 year old gets bathed once a week usually but we don't have a routine for it. Some weeks it could be twice. Sometimes I am trying to think of a way to entertain him in the evening and think, let's go splashing!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Ours have one together every night, as part of the bedtime routine. They're 2 and 3. We skip it if we're out and get home late. Whatever works is my motto! My older one hated the bath as a baby so I used to limit it as much as possible.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Once a week for my two (2 and almost 6).

Stick them in together and let the battle for control of the bath toys commence!

They wash their hands and faces going to bed every night.

The older lad is now asking for showers as he's used to them from swimming. So he may be leaving the bath behind him soon enough!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

2-3 times a week, hair washed once a week because its an Instrument of Torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Once a week and both in together (2.5 and six months). They are always messy, especially as we are weaning the baby :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

2.5 and 4.5 here and it's twice a week at most. Saturday/Sunday and usually a Wednesday. I try to wash their hair once a week but typically if I say don't get your hair wet they do just that and if I say I'm washing your hair tonight they refuse to let me near them! I rarely put them together as the older one won't let the younger one have any toys and it ends in a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Mine are 3 and 19 months, up until the start of this summer it was a bath every night. Then when the weather started getting warmer we switched to the shower, and they love it!

So now it's a shower Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday, think this will be the routine for a while. Shower is in ensuite so it's easier to heat, throw them both in, shut the door and enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Bath for our girl every night but she's a messy little babe....gets into everything!!iI wouldn't wash her every night though.No.2 is one the way, and I'd say at most it'll go to every second night, both together as soon as possible for as long as possible
    I'd shower and wash and dry hair myself every night though, so I'm a bit of a freak that way :-) !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭clare82

Ha my little whelp hates the bath...always has. I've tried everything but nothing works. She had a bath last night for the first time in almost 2 weeks. Dirty little pup but I've stopped worrying about it I'm sure she'll relent eventually....hopefully in time for college :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

My two shower with me so anything from once to 4/5 times a week... Depends how often I can distract them with sheriff callie :) but they love the shower I always wash their hair.

Washing hair in the bath beyond cracks me up they scream cry and roar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Once or twice a week for my 2. The 18 month old is in crèche twice a week so I'm a bit ocd at making sure she has a bath when she gets home from creche (yuk).

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Nemecis

As a baby I gave him a bath day after a day, as a toddler he gets bathed every 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

3.5 & 6 month old here. We bath every Wednesday & Saturday. I run the bath for the baby first, wash her & let her have a little splash around then I take her out to dry & dress her. Hubby then tops up the bath with hot water & baths our son.
    When the baby is a little older we'll bath them together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Spread the love

I bathe my toddler twice a week. Usually midweek and then again on a Sunday before she goes to crèche on the Monday. I always send her to crèche as fresh as a daisy with her nails trimmed as I'm always paranoid they'll report me to Social Services if her ears aren't clean!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Spread the love

On this topic, does anyone else have a big struggle to get your child out of the bath. My daughter always kicks up a major fuss when I take her out of the bath. I really dread giving her a bath at times just because I know she'll have a meltdown after it:

On this topic, does anyone else have a big struggle to get your child out of the bath. My daughter always kicks up a major fuss when I take her out of the bath. I really dread giving her a bath at times just because I know she'll have a meltdown after it:

Sometimes yes. They really love the bath! We started letting the plug out so the water drains out. When they see there's no water left in they are happy enough to get out :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

10 month old and a 3 year old, usually twice a week or every 3 days or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭fire and ice

My little girl does this also. Wouldn't mind bathing her more often but she cries for ages when I take her out😟

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I'm glad I'm not the only once a weeker so! I can only ever remember having a bath once a week as a child (before Glenroe on a Sunday). Livinsane I've never thought of using the bath to entertain them, my go-to emergency entertainment is baking/wrecking the kitchen. Might try the bath instead in future, it sounds less messy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

My 3 year old is Usually every 3-4 days here. She has eczema and baths dry her skin out so we don't do it often.
    She gets to splash in the sink for clean paws at least twice a day and I make sure we always clean her butt before bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Sligo1 wrote: »
    We started letting the plug out so the water drains out. When they see there's no water left in they are happy enough to get out :).

Unless you're a wet 3.5 yr old & then you treat the newly emptied bath like a slip & slide :D

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Unless you're a wet 3.5 yr old & then you treat the newly emptied bath like a slip & slide :D

Lol lol... This is true....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

When he was a small baby, we only bathed him every second day, they don't get really dirty at that age, they aren't crawling and it's cold!
    He's 3.5 now, we give him a shower every single day in the summer because it gets very hot here so would be quite sweaty. In the winter, we wouldn't shower him every day unless he got dirty outside or something. (We wash his face and hands several times a day, and I'd always wash his bum in the shower after he does a poo).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

once a month, whether they need it or not

My wife on the other hand gives them baths and showers at least once a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'd always wash his bum in the shower after he does a poo).

How do you manage this? Strip him off completely or are you extra good with your shower aim?

Our eldest had excema which seems to be made worse by water, unless we dosed her in creams afterwards, so it was about once a week. She seems to have grown out of it mostly, so we do one bath a week and one shower a week for both of them.

The shower is after swimming. That counts, right? ;)

My youngest was getting several baths a day when she was smaller, but only because she had reflux. 20+ projectile commits a day made quite the mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Our fella had very dry skin so since newborn only got a bath once a week. The effort of giving a bath every night lol! My guy is high energy and goes mental in the bath. Loves water and spent hours in the summer playing in the paddling pool.

We do twice a week now at 20 mths. Mainly because he goes to nursery now, and his hair gets quite greasy, so needs the extra wash!

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

My girl is 5 months. I bath her maybe every second day. Most of the time it's in the sink for pure handiness sake. And I may or may not put her towel in the dryer, which is right beside the sink, and take it out when we're done just for the pure coziness of it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

About 3 times a week. All 3 together ages 4-6. They have great fun and the odd squabble.

Advertisement