Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Bronze Medal play off, Argentina-South Africa. Olympic Stadium, KO 8PM

Options
  • 29-10-2015 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,063 ✭✭✭✭

Live on TV3, ITV, STV and the station formerly known as UTV.
    Friday-Friendly-Funny-Dave-Blazek-Friendly-Planet-Travel-Springbok.jpg

Introduction. It hardly seems like 70 days ago since rugby heaven waited us; today is more of a hangover before the game than an anti climax as such. Of course, 70 days ago we also didn't picture Ireland capitulate in the quarter finals to the old skool tactic of quick ball and flying wingers, we didn't expect England to go out tamely and we certainly didn't expect to see Japan thoroughly whip South Africa's orses either. Oh well. On paper we reasonably expected to see the Springboks in the last four; it's something of a mild shock that their opponents at this time are Los Pumas, a team who beat France at this stage in 2007. Underdogs, eh?

Some consider these play off games as freak shows or non entity games; one description of them is that they are akin to kissing your sister. I don't know how true that is; then again maybe your sister is a fine thing plus I'm kind of desperate so I'll give it a lash, as Willie John Mcbride would say. So lets look at the teams before I get a stiffie and a perma ban from this page :)
    CSbRbR1WEAA1lbw.png:large

Replacements 16. Lucas Noguera 17. Juan Pablo Orlandi 18. Juan Figallo 19. Guido Petti 20. Facundo Isa 21. Martin Landajo 22. Santiago Gonzalez Iglesias 23. Juan Pablo Socino
    CSa2EHYWEAA6_nJ.png:large

Replacements 16. Adriaan Strauss 17. Trevor Nyakane 18. Jannie du Plessis 19. Lodewyk de Jager 20. Willem Alberts 21. Rudy Paige 22. Pat Lambie 23. Jan Serfontein

The Boks have picked a strong team all told, Heyneke Meyer obviously deciding that victory is worth chase. In what is his last ever international test (Again.), Victor Matfield (below) captains from the second row, having missed last weeks narrow defeat to the Kiwis; Ruan Pienarr is also recalled to the scrum half position with Rudy Paige covering him on the bench.
    Desmond-Tutu.jpg

On the other hand, injury see to it that Argentina go with a blend of youth and experience as they chase a second RWC bronze medal. Horacio Agulla (below) returns for what is expected to be his last ever cap, out half Nicolas Sanchez captains though hooker Agustín Creevy, while in the backs Joaquin Tuculet and centres Juan Martín Hernández and Marcelo Bosch miss out through injury
    80787031-7560-7311-59ad-8224c4dbfa95.jpg

Verdict. Argentina have improved their lot in the last 4 years and deserve their spot this Friday. South Africa could and should be playing in the final bar for superior Kiwi retention last week; on another day they'd easily have nicked a victory. This time they won't be as tested in defence; I'll go for a 28-21 Bok victory for both teams to go out for dinner with a gorgeous singer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

That's a much weaker Argentinian team, i go for a big Bokke win, 15+.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If Ireland had made it to this game I'd prefer if Schmidt fielded a team of the dirt trackers or a half A/half B team to see how some of the guys got on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Reckon the Boks by 15-20 thats a seriously injury hit Pumas team. Will be interesting to see how their replacements get on in terms of squad strength and depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Well done, getting the enthusiasm together to do the preview - love the pics!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Fernandez Lobbe's last game for Los Pumas. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Hard to decide who'll be more up for this. RSA still have the Japan loss on their backs so can't see them letting up and losing this. Argentina seemed a little flat vs Aus, probably from the effort put in against us but they have some senior guys retiring so will want a good sendoff for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Vamos Pumas!!! 🇦🇷 v 🇿🇦

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Won't be a patch on the Munster-Ulster game! :(

Vamos Pumas!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Would love to see Argentina win the game after the brand of rugby they have played so far but just can't see past a pretty much full strength South Africa team.

Boks by 12 plus.

*sees who is the ref*

Paging awec, paging awec

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,557 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

A yellow for THAT?!

Get away out of it.

Oh Lacey serving some yellow!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Lacey wants to be the star of this circus

Very silly yellow and will cost them dear I'd imagine

awec wrote: »
    A yellow for THAT?!

Get away out of it.

Ach, catch yerself on Wee John

)I learned my Norn Irish from Big Jim McDonald in Corrie)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What was the yellow for?

Stheno wrote: »
    What was the yellow for?

Not retreating for the penalty, I believe. Professional foul.

I made the call in the semi last week that Genia got away with doing the exact same thing, was only penalised for it.

What was the yellow for?

Tackle within 10 from quick tap. Harsh enough really. They still made nearly 49 metres from the quick tap

• Administrators Posts: 53,557 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What was the yellow for?

Tackling before Pienaar was 10 metres, he didn't even manage to tackle him properly though, think he let go.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks didn't see it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

That's only yellow if you stop a try or do it cynically IMO

I know people don't like habana but I do

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

As an ex player Lacey has a very poor relationship and communication structure with the players.

Nice one from a Munsterman!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

.ak wrote: »
    That's only yellow if you stop a try or do it cynically IMO

If it's deliberate how is it not cynical? He clearly knew what he was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

awec wrote: »
    A yellow for THAT?!

Get away out of it.

clown of a referee - the standard of refereeing really needs to be addressed - and our own Mr. Lacy has been appalling

thebaz wrote: »
    clown of a referee - the standard of refereeing really needs to be addressed - and our own Mr. Lacy has been appalling

The creme de la creme is in situ tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭techdiver

Hello lads and lassie's!

It's a wired stadium at the moment. Almost like a work in progress since I was here for the Olympics...

Muted atmosphere. To be expected to be honest. Most of the crowd are neutrals.

thebaz wrote: »

It's more the consistency between refs that needs to be addressed. I have seen a yellow given for that plenty of times. It's not THAT hard for a player to not tackle a player after they take a quick tap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

matthew8 wrote: »
    If it's deliberate how is it not cynical? He clearly knew what he was doing.

Ah I think he just had a brain fart rather than cynically trying to stop play

Advertisement