Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam Marathon 10th April '16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭The Davestator

On my phone and incapable of doing a table even if I wasn't!

Appreciate it if anyone can update?

Bib: 7966
    PB: 3:51:11
    Target: 3:49:59! (was supposed to be sub 3:30 but alas!)

Thank you very much

My target was 3.49.59. Actual time...3.49.59! Boom☺

Lovely race, but very hot. Me and my friend both had it long at 26.49. The end seemed to take forever to appear. I was a few minutes ahead of target until 37k when I started to slow. Nothing major but had to dig deep

Came across some Irish but don't now if they are from these parts. Guy melting in a long sleeve dublin jersey, two trim athletic runners and a dunshaughlin fella.

Well done to everyone running those amazing times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I've 2 big blisters on the ball of my feet... I'm very nearly squelching around the place. My quads and calfs are tender as fook....

On the bright side, it's bingo night in murphys tonight and party till 4am with Ivo Gleeman...I'm hoping to make it to 1am 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Home again and feet up. Wrecked!

Great evening in Paddy Murphys. Good to meet so many legendary Boardsies. Stayed far too late and may have had one more beer than planned. I blame Ultrapercy and his missus for buying more drink when they really should know better.:-)

Delighted with the race, the whole event. Ran pretty much according to plan, splits 1:34:03 and 1:32:49. Afraid to really push until km 41 but managed 3:53/km from there on which is about my 5k pace so left a great feeling. I might write a proper report in a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

snailsong wrote: »
    Home again and feet up. Wrecked!

Great evening in Paddy Murphys. Good to meet so many legendary Boardsies. Stayed far too late and may have had one more beer than planned. I blame Ultrapercy and his missus for buying more drink when they really should know better.:-)

Delighted with the race, the whole event. Ran pretty much according to plan, splits 1:34:03 and 1:32:49. Afraid to really push until km 41 but managed 3:53/km from there on which is about my 5k pace so left a great feeling. I might write a proper report in a day or two.

Delighted for ya P.

Fantastic with more to come

TbL

Well done Paul, fantastic run by another auld lad. Delighted for you.

Come on B!!

TbL

Whaddya mean, grandad. Sure I'm still a young fella;-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done to everyone who ran - wasn't an easy day out there yesterday, quite warm in the end. Throat killing me today from the screaming and shouting, great seeing so many Irish singlets out there. I had great craic cheering the Irish!

Good to meet a few of you in Paddy Murphy's, however briefly.

Lonnnnnng trip home for myself and YoungAnne on the late flight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

The more marathons I run the more I think of my favourite line from any film. The last scene in Unforgiven sees Wild Will Munny with his foot on little Bill Dagnetts throat and his shotgun pointed at his head. Bill protests "I don't deserve this,to die like this. I was building a house" Wild Will retorts "deserve got nothing to do with it" and pulls the trigger. Deserves got nothing to do with it should be a life mantra.Some weekend, new friends made old ones rekindled and more lessons learned but no sub 2.30. Thanks for the continued support on this forum that often frustrates me but still holds me. To Snailsong and the rest of the Mayo crew, just THANKS.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jahaco

It was great knowing that so many people were watching us all on the tracker and also at one point seeing some of the elite ahead of us on the course, notably Tom Fitz who gave a hearty welcome. I was on for my sub-3 goal at the halfway mark but had a bit of a psychological hiccup when the 3 hour pacers came through quite fast (playing catch up from a slow start in heavy traffic I think) at about 30k. Tried to stay with them but couldn't and realised that my goal had to adjust.

It also got a bit warm towards the end but plugged away with the help of a Crusaders clubmate and I came in at 3:03:18, a 4 minute PB improvement over last year's Rotterdam race and Dublin in October, and 10th out of more than 600 runners in an age group which I'll be leaving in a month's time. So can't complain at all.

Lots of great Irish support out there. Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

jahaco wrote: »
    It was great knowing that so many people were watching us all on the tracker and also at one point seeing some of the elite ahead of us on the course, notably Tom Fitz who gave a hearty welcome. I was on for my sub-3 goal at the halfway mark but had a bit of a psychological hiccup when the 3 hour pacers came through quite fast (playing catch up from a slow start in heavy traffic I think) at about 30k. Tried to stay with them but couldn't and realised that my goal had to adjust.

It also got a bit warm towards the end but plugged away with the help of a Crusaders clubmate and I came in at 3:03:18, a 4 minute PB improvement over last year's Rotterdam race and Dublin in October, and 10th out of more than 600 runners in an age group which I'll be leaving in a month's time. So can't complain at all.

Haven't been following your progress on Boards, but your time (and previous best) is so close to mine that I've started to take an interest. Planning an autumn marathon for next sub3 effort? Mind me asking what the age category is/was?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

That is a great time, well done. That is a fantastic level of running for your age group. No shame in not getting sub-3. A fine PB chunk taken off.

In my case I was struggling to maintain pace towards the end but I'd worked up some time as a buffer which goes against conventional advice, but it worked for me. The support and atmosphere was brilliant. Got a few IMRA shouts from people who recognised the vest.

• Advertisement

ultrapercy wrote: »
    The more marathons I run the more I think of my favourite line from any film. The last scene in Unforgiven sees Wild Will Munny with his foot on little Bill Dagnetts throat and his shotgun pointed at his head. Bill protests "I don't deserve this,to die like this. I was building a house" Wild Will retorts "deserve got nothing to do with it" and pulls the trigger. Deserves got nothing to do with it should be a life mantra.Some weekend, new friends made old ones rekindled and more lessons learned but no sub 2.30. Thanks for the continued support on this forum that often frustrates me but still holds me. To Snailsong and the rest of the Mayo crew, just THANKS.

That comes across a bit negative, up.
    For anyone who doesn't know, u.p. is racing marathons fir 20 years and on Sunday ran yet another pb. Also broke 70 in the half on Patrick's Day fir the first time. He's only 44 seconds off the 2:30 and might well smash it this autumn.
    Just putting the facts out there.

And thank you, for the support, advice and encouragement you've given us all. Likewise to your OH, who looked after us again at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jahaco

Itziger wrote: »
    Haven't been following your progress on Boards, but your time (and previous best) is so close to mine that I've started to take an interest. Planning an autumn marathon for next sub3 effort? Mind me asking what the age category is/was?

Thanks. Currently an M55 and soon an M60. I tend to do quite well in Dublin because it's so supportive even though technically harder than Rotterdam, so my plan is to try for sub-3 again in the DCM...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

snailsong wrote: »
    That comes across a bit negative, up.
    For anyone who doesn't know, u.p. is racing marathons fir 20 years and on Sunday ran yet another pb. Also broke 70 in the half on Patrick's Day fir the first time. He's only 44 seconds off the 2:30 and might well smash it this autumn.
    Just putting the facts out there.

And thank you, for the support, advice and encouragement you've given us all. Likewise to your OH, who looked after us again at the weekend.

Big plus 1 to that, I had finished and spotted the Mayo AC crew chilling as I walked through the finish, I went over and spoke with yourself P to see how things went and seen ultrapercy beside you. You said he had not broken 2.30 so was a little apprehensive about introducing myself, well I shouldn't have. The man took good five minutes asking about my race, how it went, what I thought and offered some kind, welcome advice when he was done.

The man is a real credit to your club and county and shows the interest and understanding that makes running so great.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

Top Race and weekend got around in one piece in 3:25.18 my partner in crime got a nine minute PB.We ran it together I thought it was well organised and after the first water stop the miles (Km's) flew by even got a sun burnt noggin to go with death by Heineken!!!

MacSwifty wrote: »
    Top Race and weekend got around in one piece in 3:25.18 my partner in crime got a nine minute PB.We ran it together I thought it was well organised and after the first water stop the miles (Km's) flew by even got a sun burnt noggin to go with death by Heineken!!!

Your not with Trim AC by any chance?

tang1 wrote: »
    Your not with Trim AC by any chance?

Nope Tang A Clareman based in Waterford (nearly 30 years) there were a few Trim AC around alright though!

MacSwifty wrote: »
    Nope Tang A Clareman based in Waterford (nearly 30 years) there were a few Trim AC around alright though!

Ah get ya, just you finished close to me time wise, although I'm going by my Garmin as I'm not listed in the official results. I passed a Trim AC with few hundred yards to go, I was wearing a Garda AC singlet.

Thanks. Currently an M55 and soon an M60. I tend to do quite well in Dublin because it's so supportive even though technically harder than Rotterdam, so my plan is to try for sub-3 again in the DCM...

Jazus, you're a good bit older than me and have a few mins on my marathon PB.

Fantastic running, well done, reading that just spiked my motivation.

Congrats and all the best for DCM

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Jazus, you're a good bit older than me and have a few mins on my marathon PB.

Fantastic running, well done, reading that just spiked my motivation.

Congrats and all the best for DCM

TbL

Does this mean you'll stop your moaning about time running out for you and all that nonsense C?

Big plus 1 to that, I had finished and spotted the Mayo AC crew chilling as I walked through the finish, I went over and spoke with yourself P to see how things went and seen ultrapercy beside you. You said he had not broken 2.30 so was a little apprehensive about introducing myself, well I shouldn't have. The man took good five minutes asking about my race, how it went, what I thought and offered some kind, welcome advice when he was done.

The man is a real credit to your club and county and shows the interest and understanding that makes running so great.

Jesus, when you're around me with others at the start/finish I'm saying a silent prayer that you don't introduce yourself :)

TbL

• Advertisement

Jesus, when you're around me with others at the start/finish I'm saying a silent prayer that you don't introduce yourself :)

TbL

Don't feckin flatter yourself!!! You enjoy your fun run later.

Ah get ya, just you finished close to me time wise, although I'm going by my Garmin as I'm not listed in the official results. I passed a Trim AC with few hundred yards to go, I was wearing a Garda AC singlet.

We were in black and red tops - official gun time was 3:27:49 mins

Greetings from murphys bar rotterdam ☺ Tonight's entertainment includes Tuesday night football ☺ Followed by some bluegrass notes to get your foot tappin ☺☺

Back to reality and detox tomorrow ☺

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Did someone forget to pack Marty when they were leaving on Sunday? Always forget something when you're packing up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭The Davestator

So what 'Table expert' is going to update the results?!

So what 'Table expert' is going to update the results?!

I nominate tang ☺

martyboy48 wrote: »
    I nominate tang ☺

I'd love to Marty but I've no official finishing time to go into the table yet, still waiting to hear back from organisers about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Name| Race no| Current PB| Goal| Result
    Slogger Jogger |2154 |3:01:30 | 2:59:00|
    jahaco |6656 | 3:07:03 | 2:59:59
    tang1| 6844 |4.59.10| 3.19.45
    MacSwifty |6973 |3:20:29 | 3:25:00
    Paulers06| F2964|3.48.45| 3.39.59
    The Davestator|7966|3:51:11|3:49:59
    Younganne |F2692 |3:57:46 | 3:56:55|3:55:25
    Corny |9544 |4:31:29 | 3:59:59|
    Martyboy48 |9604 |3:18:41 | 3:14:59|
    Bawnmore_Ent. |2258 |3:21:20 | 3:10:00|
    mbarr | 6950 | x | 3:29:59|

I'll see of i can dig out the other result & add them in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Name| Race no| Current PB| Goal| Result
    Slogger Jogger |2154 |3:01:30 | 2:59:00|2:57:00
    jahaco |6656 | 3:07:03 | 2:59:59|3:03:18
    tang1| 6844 |4.59.10| 3.19.45| still running:eek:
    MacSwifty |6973 |3:20:29 | 3:25:00|3:25:18
    Paulers06| F2964|3.48.45| 3.39.59|3:38:51
    The Davestator|7966|3:51:11|3:49:59|3:49:59
    Younganne |F2692 |3:57:46 | 3:56:55|3:55:25
    Corny |9544 |4:31:29 | 3:59:59|cant see result?
    Martyboy48 |9604 |3:18:41 | 3:14:59|3:21:11
    Bawnmore_Ent. |2258 |3:21:20 | 3:10:00|3:09:20
    mbarr | 9650 | x | 3:29:59|3:34:20
    Snailsong|9738|?|?| 3:06:52

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

Anyone know where you can purchase the battery acid that is AA drink in Ireland?! 😂😂😂

Advertisement