Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campervan for €6k

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

You wouldn't encourage someone to buy a yacht if they've never been sailing or looked at a boat. The op doesn't seem to have experience or research under their belt. I think the appropriate advice has been given ..try before you buy, err on the side of caution, don't buy something that doesnt suit, dont buy an old barge.

True, but with all the negative advice about how dodgy it is to buy second hand he is now thinking of a caravan!.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

I've been trying to resist the urge to add my thoughts to this thread but just can't resist any longer.

A lot of these posts seem designed to put anyone off buying a camper.
    The OP stated that he wants a camper for himself and family to holiday here in Ireland. He is not talking about doing thousands of miles/kilometers per year so diff in cost between petrol and diesel is unimportant, he is going to have two children on board so is unlikely to worry about not being able to do 130kph on a motorway, as was mentioned in an earlier post, after all the speed limit is 120, and would you want to drive at high speeds when you have two children on board? I wouldn't.

The only thing he might find annoying when driving slowly is two children yelling "are we there yet, are we there yet".:)

As I've said before on boards, I have a 1986 camper that is quite (understatement) slow but I treat every trip as a holiday and when I'm on holiday I never rush! If I want to get somewhere in a hurry I take the car.

I would have thought we want to encourage new motorhomers not put them off.

You are spot on with your post there and what I am looking for in a camper.

My main concern is that I spend €6k and end up with something that costs a shed load in repairs and maintenance.

The work done to Sir Liamalot's camper would be a prime example of what I would be trying to avoid.

Suppose what I was hoping for, was to find the Honda civic or Corolla of the camper world for bangernomic s money.

The Japanese need to get into the camper market :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Barr wrote: »
    You are spot on with your post there and what I am looking for in a camper.

My main concern is that I spend €6k and end up with something that costs a shed load in repairs and maintenance.

The work done to Sir Liamalot's camper would be a prime example of what I would be trying to avoid.

Suppose what I was hoping for, was to find the Honda civic or Corolla of the camper world for bangernomic s money.

The Japanese need to get into the camper market :pac::pac:

Don't give up just yet. The right one with your name on it is out there somewhere.

Plenty of time before good campervan weather comes round again.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Mazda Bongo Frendee (yes that's actaually it's name) and a big awning / sunroom?

Those bongos are cool looking yokes. They seem to be able to sleep 4 as well :)

Are they all Jap Imports or would they ever have been sold in Ireland ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Those bongos are cool looking yokes. They seem to be able to sleep 4 as well :)

Are they all Jap Imports or would they ever have been sold in Ireland ?

All jap imports, lots are 4wd and or automatic.

They are a lovely day van but as a camper they're tiny.

To put the size in perspective a ford galaxy is about 2 inches longer and 4 inches wider, the bongo was built narrow to avoid japanese limo taxes.

bongo-dimensions.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭karmaan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

That will be difficult to insure without an elevating rood?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Don't be put of but you need to but in more research first, to figure out what you want and how much to spend.

I think 6K is a bit small, for that price you are looking at a very old early 90's coach build camper or an ex commercial van converted. You won't get a 100% trouble free van but under 1000 a year in maintenance is realistic, with a bout 650 fixed cost for insurance, doe and road tax.

As for Japanese vans, mine is from Japan I imported it, have a look in the UK for Toyota hiace's http://www.algysautos.com/campervans.html mine is a 1991 Yokohama motor sales wizard conversion. I get about 480K to 500K out of a 55 ltr tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Don't be put of but you need to but in more research first, to figure out what you want and how much to spend.

I think 6K is a bit small, for that price you are looking at a very old early 90's coach build camper or an ex commercial van converted. You won't get a 100% trouble free van but under 1000 a year in maintenance is realistic, with a bout 650 fixed cost for insurance, doe and road tax.

As for Japanese vans, mine is from Japan I imported it, have a look in the UK for Toyota hiace's http://www.algysautos.com/campervans.html mine is a 1991 Yokohama motor sales wizard conversion. I get about 480K to 500K out of a 55 ltr tank.

Good advice. Personally I would prefer a coach built over a conversion, only because.... well, it's coach built!

To give the OP real world info, my camper is a 1989 Hobby AK620 2.0 petrol (on the standard Ducato chassis of the era). Passed the DOE in July, I asked tester if there were any weak spots and he pointed to some rust on the chassis and said to rub it down and paint it. I have had to seal the roof where the joints are with (correct high quality) silicone.... any camper of this age is going to need looking after in this area but don't be put off, strip out the old silicone, rub down, clean and reseal... it can be done!

I often get people knocking enquiring about mine and I genuinely would struggle to let it go less than €5K.. after all, what am I going to buy.

• Advertisement

What are the Fiat Ducatos like ?

Something like this one

https://www.donedeal.ie/campers-for-sale/fiat-ducato/10766227

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

What are the Fiat Ducatos like ?

Something like this one

https://www.donedeal.ie/campers-for-sale/fiat-ducato/10766227

A case in point about being cautious. Thats 'slight bit of damage' probably has lead to water ingress which can in turn lead to big bills and I wouldn't fancy trying to work in the corner of the overcab to try to repair it either.

Once water gets under the outer skin its trapped and can travel by gravity and capillary action a long way rotting timbers and corroding the skin from the inside out. You'd have to remove all that gaffer tape to inspect the damage and ideally you want to see whats going on behind the panelling in the overcab.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Ducato

"Since 1981, more than 2.6 million Fiat Ducatos have been produced.[2] The Ducato is the most common motorhome base used in Europe; with around two thirds of motorhomes using the Ducato base"

They are well proven. Main problems I have had are electrical contacts corroding and watch out for something parked up for months with handbrake on causing binding (better to just leave it in gear) check wheel temperatures after test drive.

I wouldn't go near one with structural damage, it's hard enough keeping the old ones dry without damage. Reading your OP I would say you're getting close, keep looking, it's end of season now and better to look at a camper on a wet day than in the middle of a dry week. They do come up... if you are a bit adventurous have a look at German ebay.de for a wohnmobile

Thanks guys , I have learnt a lot from this thread and feel more confident about what to purchase :)

I am hoping in the next few months I will pick up a good deal before the season starts.

Advertisement