Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campervan for €6k

Options
  • 28-10-2015 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I’ll start off by saying I am new to the world of campervans and know next to nothing about them.

We normally go on a package holiday every year and thought we would try something different next year . So my OH has suggested we buy a camper and holiday in Ireland.

My criteria is to look or something that could accommodate 2 adults an 2 kids in comfort and be reliable to keep.

Is there any particular make / model I should look for in my price range ?

I want to keep the budget low , as I want to give it a go to see if we like the whole camping thing.

I was hoping to find something less than €6k.

Any advice ye wish to impart to a novice, starting out campervan shopping would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Barr

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

€6k is a small budget, you're very unlikely to get a factory built camper in any kind of good condition for that money.

Don't be tempted to buy an ancient van as parts are getting very scarce now for some older models. Remember that most 25 year old campers will have been standing there gathering rust for 23 and half of those years.

There are lots of money pits out there 'a bit of damp' can effectively make a camper uneconomical to repair. 'A bit of rust' can lead to expensive chassis welding, panel beating and painting. 'A small crunch in second' can have you off the road for months while you try to source syncros for a gearbox that was only produced for 18 months 25 years ago.

Really with that budget you're looking at a converted van. With 4 people to be comfortable you want at least lwb high roof if not xlwb. The ducato/boxer/relay is nice and wide in the back you can get a 6ft bed accross the back with swivel seats in the front it can be spacious enough. If you really want a lot of space the xlwb iveco daily and sprinter are collossal.

Comfort is relative if you're not accustomed to camping I would certainly advise you to at least rent a similar sized van for a weekend before sticking your money down. Both my wife and I have had campers all our lives and a small van I would have considered tolerable 10 years ago would seem like a tomb now.

Also into your budget factor in annual tax, insurance, maintenance, DOE test where will it be stored. Standing around is very bad for a vehicle so something that was tested last year could have seized brake calipers, handbrake cables, corroded brake pipes, rusty sills and crossmembers you have to factor in some unexpected bills into your budget and get someone who knows what they're at to vet the vehicle for you.

This would be my current's successor. It's about as small as I'd be willing to go with a family.

1748723223.jpg

Just a smidgeon over budget. whistling.gif

To be honest any conversion you find for that figure is probably going to be a pigs ear. In which case I'd save myself the bother of ripping out a poor conversion and just start with an panel van.

If I had to stay on budget I'd go for this (310D would be better, 20 extra horses)
    While not disagreeing with Paddy this is a chain driven bulletproof engine, wholly mechanical with running gear built like a tank. Ubiquitous parts. Little underpowered. Hi twenties to the gallon.

47305931.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

I'd hire one out if I were you first, it'll answer an awful lot of questions and educate you quickly.

If I had to stay on budget I'd go for this (310D would be better, 20 extra horses)
    While not disagreeing with Paddy this is a chain driven bulletproof engine, wholly mechanical with running gear built like a tank. Ubiquitous parts. Little underpowered. Hi twenties to the gallon.

47305931.jpeg

Thats nice actually, I would make an exception to the age rule for merc as they are very good for parts right back to the 50s if somewhat expensive and there are still millions of those on the road right across europe and russia so used parts are easy to come by.

My main quibble would be engine / road noise and make sure it has a 5 speed box and power steering ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

Thanks guys , some good points raised. The merc seems nice , though looks huge for a first timer :pac:

Would a petrol campervan be a cheaper alternative.

Have ye come across a Talbot Elddis ?

This one is for sale in Cork

Would it be worth checking out at the price.

http://www.donedeal.ie/campers-for-sale/1992-talbot-elddis-camper-van/10538140?offset=1

My main quibble would be engine / road noise and make sure it has a 5 speed box and power steering ;)

+1 power steering. Even the 5 speed box is really just low range + four :rolleyes:

The T series parts are reasonable for the "consumables" the oddball stuff that never goes can be mad money.

So far I've replaced the brake rotors, pads, pad wear sensors, shoes, brake cylinders, rear springs, rear shocks, radiator, automatic hand brake adjuster, heating core hose, 4 mirrors, recond'd head, recond'd gearbox, alternator x 4, battery x 2, battery loom, glow plugs x 4, exhaust & muffler, oil cooler, blower fan, viscous pulley, fan belt damper, all filters, prop carrier bearing, water pump pulley, lighting stalk, speedo cable, passenger seat, track rod ends, track rod, engine mounts, tyres, spare carrier wheel, 1 wheel rim, 3 hub caps, front brake lines, towbar, fan belt x 3, all filters, rear window, sliding door runner, rear doors, mostly OEM. Rebuilt wheel arches, side sills and rear spring legs. She's practically a new machine. :pac:

Fuel tank is getting a flush one of these days and a new sender unit.

..ahem like I said bulletproof..whistling.gif

So far I've replaced the brake rotors, pads, pad wear sensors, shoes, brake cylinders, rear springs, rear shocks, radiator, automatic hand brake adjuster, heating core hose, 4 mirrors, recond'd head, recond'd gearbox, alternator x 4, battery x 2, battery loom, glow plugs x 4, exhaust & muffler, oil cooler, blower fan, viscous pulley, fan belt damper, all filters, prop carrier bearing, water pump pulley, lighting stalk, speedo cable, passenger seat, track rod ends, track rod, engine mounts, tyres, spare carrier wheel, 1 wheel rim, 3 hub caps, front brake lines, towbar, fan belt x 3, all filters, rear window, sliding door runner, rear doors, mostly OEM. Rebuilt wheel arches, side sills and rear spring legs. She's practically a new machine. :pac:

The auld fellas one had the above plus he rebuilt rear diff for noise it would have done another millions miles making a racket though, and doors rusted out on top and were fibreglassed. He was religious with the waxoyl. Not bad for 30 years on the road.

I've a spare rear axle on standby.
    Yeah, she's never left me stranded.

Waxoyl is some awful filth, great for the chassis, manky for the mechanic has to work on the blighter. Vactan and stone chip myself.

Bangernomics it'd cost the same to buy new van but much harder fix ECU's with a hammer.

Waxoyl is some awful filth, great for the chassis, manky for the mechanic has to work on the blighter.
    Always smelled like someone had spilled a gallon of white spirit when the sun came out!
    Bangernomics it'd cost the same to buy new van but much harder fix ECU's with a hammer.
    Not to mention fixing body computers, immobilisers, airbag controllers, impact sensors, occupancy sensors, vacuum solenoids, map sensors, maf sensors, crank sensors, cam sensors, knock sensors, temperature sensors, lambda sensors, throttle bodies, pressure sensors, pressure solenoids, egr valves, particulate filters, oil level sensors, abs sensors, abs pumps, swirl valve actuators, emissions canisters, pcv heaters, fuel temperature sensors, fuel pressure sensors, electric window controllers, central locking mechanisms, digital instrument clusters etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Barr wrote: »
    Thanks guys , some good points raised. The merc seems nice , though looks huge for a first timer :pac:

http://www.donedeal.ie/campers-for-sale/1992-talbot-elddis-camper-van/10538140?offset=1

Are there belts in the back for the kids?

If you don't mind driving slowly and very slowly on hill it would be fine. The 2 liter petrol is underpowered and not much torque. Driving like your granny you'll get 22mpg, driving normally about 18-20mpg, you'll struggle to maintain speed limit on any kind of incline.

Depending on how many miles you do the fuel economy may be a factor too. That vans done about 5k miles a year the difference in economy between a turbo diesel model would add up to about 3k euro over 5 years.

To put it in prespective my van is more than twice the torque and 1.5 times the power and it barely maintains the 130km on the big motorway hills.

Also a lot of engine, gearbox parts are no longer available for those models and simple things like clutch and speedo cables can be hard to come by too.

Are there belts in the back for the kids?

Yip , I assume most campervans would have them ?

Yip , I assume most campervans would have them ?

They weren't required a lot don't have them and a lot of them are just chipboard seats with lapbelts and no headrests.

They weren't required a lot don't have them and a lot of them are just chipboard seats with lapbelts and no headrests.

Is passenger seat-belts a legal requirement in campervans ?

Is passenger seat-belts a legal requirement in campervans ?

Optional for rear passengers most factory campers in your price range will have none or lapbelts / retrofitted lapbelts there was no requirement for tested seating either so it cowboy territory. the rule is that 'where fitted they must be used'

If the campervan comes with a DOE can I assume it wont need chassis welding. Rust would be a worry for me.

Last thing I want to end up with is a rust bucket.

Nope.
    Doe just means the inspector didn't see rust.

Tap it out.

Nope.
    Doe just means the inspector didn't see rust.

Tap it out.

Is there mechanics out there that can look them over pre purchase. Something like the AA for cars.

What does "tap it out" mean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

How about a Caravan ?

While a caravan isn't maintenance free it won't cost near what a motorhome does in running costs. Most decent sized family saloons easily pull a caravan.

Something like this for €5k leave you a grand in your hand to buy bits 'N pieces to kit it out well...

My only advice is steer clear of caravan sales places in Kildare, the vans were poor quality, and had hard lives, I feared most were ex traveller vans from the UK rather than leisure vans.

• Advertisement

What does "tap it out" mean ?

It means get a screwdriver or a blunt chisel and tap every inch of the undercarraige. If the screwdriver punctures the frame then you found rust. If it doesn't make a metallic sound then you may have found a bodgey repair.

A caravan may be the way to go , it seems campervans could be a real money pit reading through this.

Our car is a 1.6 petrol so probably not ideal for towing. :(

Nothing a rip saw and welder can't fix. ralph.gif

0c66a6bac5d9aac8c75e45c0391e0e59.jpg

A caravan may be the way to go , it seems campervans could be a real money pit reading through this.

Our car is a 1.6 petrol so probably not ideal for towing. :(

Check it out here..
    You can look online at vans that you like the look of and then match it up with your car.. you'll know quickly how suitable it is..

Thanks Brian , looks a useful site

I just tried our car with the caravan you linked on donedeal. It says the towing limit is exceeded by 170 kg.

Back to the drawing board for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

I run a camper on the Fiat Ducato chassis (same as that Talbot) and the 2.0 petrol engine. IMO it is good bet, cost less to maintain than the diesel of the same vintage. The 2.0 petrol was originally designed for rallying apparently and has a duplex (double thickness) timing chain. Agreed won't do better than 22 MPG but when you consider the amount of mileage the average camper around Ireland getting 26-28 from the same vintage of a diesel it isn't going to make much difference. Different story if you are going to Europe for a couple of months.

And when you get it going it flies along, gets a bit wheezy going uphill but sure don't we all.... just get tucked in behind a big truck and he'll drag you up :-)

I run a camper on the Fiat Ducato chassis (same as that Talbot) and the 2.0 petrol engine. IMO it is good bet, cost less to maintain than the diesel of the same vintage. The 2.0 petrol was originally designed for rallying apparently and has a duplex (double thickness) timing chain. Agreed won't do better than 22 MPG but when you consider the amount of mileage the average camper around Ireland getting 26-28 from the same vintage of a diesel it isn't going to make much difference. Different story if you are going to Europe for a couple of months.

And when you get it going it flies along, gets a bit wheezy going uphill but sure don't we all.... just get tucked in behind a big truck and he'll drag you up :-)

In general your point in MPG is bang on. Even for moderate milage the difference in 5mpg is small money.

_Brian wrote: »
    In general your point in MPG is bang on. Even for moderate milage the difference in 5mpg is small money.

I disagree, drive the petrol hard and you'll have 18mpg if your lucky, drive the diesel the same you'll still have 25mpg.

We do about 7500 miles a year the difference would add up to 600-900 per year based on current/previous years fuel prices. Thats enough savings to cover annual insurance, tax, maintenance and DOE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I've been trying to resist the urge to add my thoughts to this thread but just can't resist any longer.

A lot of these posts seem designed to put anyone off buying a camper.
    The OP stated that he wants a camper for himself and family to holiday here in Ireland. He is not talking about doing thousands of miles/kilometers per year so diff in cost between petrol and diesel is unimportant, he is going to have two children on board so is unlikely to worry about not being able to do 130kph on a motorway, as was mentioned in an earlier post, after all the speed limit is 120, and would you want to drive at high speeds when you have two children on board? I wouldn't.

The only thing he might find annoying when driving slowly is two children yelling "are we there yet, are we there yet".:)

As I've said before on boards, I have a 1986 camper that is quite (understatement) slow but I treat every trip as a holiday and when I'm on holiday I never rush! If I want to get somewhere in a hurry I take the car.

I would have thought we want to encourage new motorhomers not put them off.

• Advertisement

I would have thought we want to encourage new motorhomers not put them off.

You wouldn't encourage someone to buy a yacht if they've never been sailing or looked at a boat. The op doesn't seem to have experience or research under their belt. I think the appropriate advice has been given ..try before you buy, err on the side of caution, don't buy something that doesnt suit, dont buy an old barge.

Advertisement