Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snapper

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Great film,

Its getting dated now :(

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Great film,

Its getting dated now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

And even though The Snapper was the low key TV movie it has stood the test of time better than The Commitments IMO.

No one is posting on boards.ie on an October Bank Holiday Monday, or any other day, that The Commitments just started on RTE 1.

No one knows the names of any of the characters in The Commitments, everyone knows who Georgie "Bleedin" Burgess is.

"Good girl Sharon" and "A1 Sharon" have become part of the Irish lexicon, nothing from The Commitments ever has.

People do remember characters from the commitments. Jimmy rabbitte, Joey the lips, imelda quirke. However, your point is correct that everybody remembers Georgie burgess. Might be because he is mentioned in almost every scene!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

People do remember characters from the commitments. Jimmy rabbitte, Joey the lips, imelda quirke. However, your point is correct that everybody remembers Georgie burgess. Might be because he is mentioned in almost every scene!

Youre not wrong there.Haven't seen it in a few years but Sharon repeatedly shouting "Mr Buuuuuurgeees" in the scenes where theyre arguing is burnt into my consciousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭squonk

After all these years I think it's something about the 'no frills' production when compared to the Commitments that elevates The Snapper. I like The Commitments and I think it's got some great scenes and is very quotable but it's a little bit more fantastical and theatric. I think because of that it has a kind of detachment from the Dublin of the time whereas The Snapper is right down there and I think the lesser budget actually adds to the film. I guess it's a bit darker too than The Commitments and the humour is probably more memorable as a result but it's still a great cult movie. "Good girl Sharon!!!" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dean12319

Why is the snapper being repeated so much over the last few months?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Dean12319 wrote: »
    Why is the snapper being repeated so much over the last few months?

Cause it's bleedin deadly so it is. And if you don't agree I'll send Jimmy rabbit around to throw bins through your front window :)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

The bit that sticks in my head the most is when Colm Meany asks his wife if theres any chance of a ride?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭squonk

The bit that sticks in my head the most is when Colm Meany asks his wife if theres any chance of a ride?

Ah though if I remember right it's even classier than that. "Any chance of me hole?" Classy or wha! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

When you look back on it now it seems a lot darker as Sharon was basically raped by Georgie Burgess.

I've always looked at the scene where he gives her the nickers back and offers her the tenner to get "yourself some sweet.... drinks" and coupled it with being manager of the football team and thought some very dark things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Iang87 wrote: »
    I've always looked at the scene where he gives her the nickers back and offers her the tenner to get "yourself some sweet.... drinks" and coupled it with being manager of the football team and thought some very dark things
    I think you're probably reading too much into it tbh.

That scene really just shows up what a complete idiot the guy is; he's standing in front of the woman he got pregnant, but in his eyes she's still just a kid from the road. The whole thing has him completely off-guard and he's too dumb to know what the right thing to do is.

The whole "she was raped" thing isn't that straightforward either too. I've read the book a million times, and I don't know if it's in the movie (or in the heavily cut version you see on TV3), but at least in the book Burgess says that he barely remembers the night, he was "buckled".

I'm not sure if the movie deliberately mixed it up a bit, but certainly in the flashback scene it's heavily implied that she was twisted and he wasn't at all drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Ah I'm definitely reading too much into it. I've never read the book but him being drunk stands to reason. Arent they celebrating some team winning a trrophy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭ofcork

squonk wrote: »
    Ah though if I remember right it's even classier than that. "Any chance of me hole?" Classy or wha! :)

Ride i thought it was just let me finish this line here!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

seamus wrote: »
    I think you're probably reading too much into it tbh.

That scene really just shows up what a complete idiot the guy is; he's standing in front of the woman he got pregnant, but in his eyes she's still just a kid from the road. The whole thing has him completely off-guard and he's too dumb to know what the right thing to do is.

The whole "she was raped" thing isn't that straightforward either too. I've read the book a million times, and I don't know if it's in the movie (or in the heavily cut version you see on TV3), but at least in the book Burgess says that he barely remembers the night, he was "buckled".

I'm not sure if the movie deliberately mixed it up a bit, but certainly in the flashback scene it's heavily implied that she was twisted and he wasn't at all drunk.

Its a long time since I read the book but didn't Sharon say something like "It wasn't rape but it wasnt far off"? I might be getting it mixed up with another book as its a while since I read it. But if I'm correct and the character did say that, I would think that by today's standards, it could be construed as rape. She was certainly too drunk to give consent by today's standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Whether you like the film or not, Colm Meaney's performance was fantastic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭Deviso

On atm. Brilliant watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

Have seen it dozens of times and still enjoy it, if that's not a brilliant movie then I've no idea what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

bladespin wrote: »
    Have seen it dozens of times and still enjoy it, if that's not a brilliant movie then I've no idea what is.

A time capsule of late 80's early nineties Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Best line of the film....

"Did you not see me over by the vegetables"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

nullzero wrote:
    A time capsule of late 80's early nineties Dublin.

Much more than that, wasn't tgere so wouldn't really understand that but the dialogue and interraction that gets me every time.
    Colm was gold in it, the role was made for him or him for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

bladespin wrote: »
    Much more than that, wasn't tgere so wouldn't really understand that but the dialogue and interraction that gets me every time.
    Colm was gold in it, the role was made for him or him for it.

Well there are so many things that call back to those times in all three of the Roddy Doyle Barrytown movies. It is a postcard from that era as is The Family if you can find it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Just finished watching it off the player...never tire of it. “ Get out of me way ya dozy bo***cks!” :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,535 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

"I can't enjoy me pint under these conditions".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭joeguevara

It’s like watching reeling in the years with an entertaining and funny storyline. Pure gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Sundew wrote: »
    Just finished watching it off the player...never tire of it. “ Get out of me way ya dozy bo***cks!” :-D

Love that. And when he sees Burgess in the toilets...

"Wrong me bollix... ME BOLLIX!"

Advertisement