Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snapper

Options
  • 26-10-2015 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭

On RTE1 now

Good girl Sharon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Massively over rated film in my opinion.

Both it and The Commitments are grand but their nowhere near as good as they're being made out to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Both it and The Commitments are grand but their nowhere near as good as they're being made out to be.

They're not Oscar material but they are cult classics

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I agree,

They are classics but I actually thought Intermission was better then both of them

• Registered Users Posts: 21 miss luce

Oh I love this filim!! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The Commitments is totally overrated.
    But The Snapper never got half the media attention that The Commitments got, it just built the cult following on its own, just as any cult film should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

ziedth wrote: »
    I agree,

They are classics but I actually thought Intermission was better then both of them

Intermission is my favourite irish film and probably in top 5 films of all time

I hated intermission- left after 20 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Roddy Doyle is a genius, the Barrytown trilogies are nothing short of hilarious. The Van is actually my favourite, but all of them are super.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

.....a doubtful culinary "classic" along with that other dublin classic coddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

OK film, like the other two, but they are like time capsules of late eighties early nineties Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Talking about intermission.

I brought a girl to the cinema before and later that afternoon her mother asked us how we got on. I was in the kitchen talking to her father, and she was in the hall. She proceeded to tell her mother that we left for 10 minutes mid movie for intercourse and then went back to watch the rest of the film.

My god....

She meant we left for 10 minutes for the intermission of course.

Anyway, the Snapper, what a film lads. Yes, no Oscar winner, but there's a lot in it for what was the Irish family of the late 80's / early 90's. Sentimental.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

efb wrote: »
    On RTE1 now

Good girl Sharon

Hasn't aged well at all. Go watch The Butcher Boy for a dark comedy Irish classic.

Hasn't aged well at all. Go watch The Butcher Boy for a dark comedy Irish classic.

Didn't like the butcher boy- too creepy

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ah +1 to the rescue!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

It's no "Eat The Peach", IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I Went Down is the finest Irish film I've seen. Honorable mention to Disco Pigs because it's the first thing I saw Elaine Cassidy in.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Roddy Doyle is a genius, the Barrytown trilogies are nothing short of hilarious. The Van is actually my favourite, but all of them are super.

Which six films did I miss?!?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

In it's defence, it was only ever intended to be a fairly low key TV movie (it was made for BBC2), not some enduring cinematic classic. It's probably Irish people who have overhyped it in the meantime.

It hasn't aged particularly well, it was very much a snapshot of life in early 1990s working class Dublin rather than simply putting it's comedy and humour to the forefront.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i was still buckled watching it

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

Well worth a watch every couple of years.
    Brilliant performance from Colm Meaney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Strazdas wrote: »
    In it's defence, it was only ever intended to be a fairly low key TV movie (it was made for BBC2), not some enduring cinematic classic. It's probably Irish people who have overhyped it in the meantime.

It hasn't aged particularly well, it was very much a snapshot of life in early 1990s working class Dublin rather than simply putting it's comedy and humour to the forefront.

And even though The Snapper was the low key TV movie it has stood the test of time better than The Commitments IMO.

No one is posting on boards.ie on an October Bank Holiday Monday, or any other day, that The Commitments just started on RTE 1.

No one knows the names of any of the characters in The Commitments, everyone knows who Georgie "Bleedin" Burgess is.

"Good girl Sharon" and "A1 Sharon" have become part of the Irish lexicon, nothing from The Commitments ever has.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Didn't like the butcher boy- too creepy

It's dark comedy not over the top garbage like The Snapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

When you look back on it now it seems a lot darker as Sharon was basically raped by Georgie Burgess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I'm aware of that it is- I'm not a fan of behan

Or Patrick Mc Cabe as we call him.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,771 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Couldn't agree more. Couple of funny bits here and there, but its problem was that the dialogue-humor was too forced. Never felt natural. As for Shardin. About as convincing as a chocolate teapot.

Oh, and that bedroom scene with the mam and dad was truly horrendous.

I never ever thought the film was good, and until now I always thought I was alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,771 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Two far better Irish films are Crush Proof and Intermission.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

And even though The Snapper was the low key TV movie it has stood the test of time better than The Commitments IMO.

No one is posting on boards.ie on an October Bank Holiday Monday, or any other day, that The Commitments just started on RTE 1.

No one knows the names of any of the characters in The Commitments, everyone knows who Georgie "Bleedin" Burgess is.

"Good girl Sharon" and "A1 Sharon" have become part of the Irish lexicon, nothing from The Commitments ever has.

Agree that The Commitments is a terrible movie, I find it unwatchable.

The Snapper is brilliant in parts, some of Colm Meaney's scenes and one liners are hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

On again tonight, TV3 at 9pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

isnt georgey burgess pat mustard also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

YES !

Advertisement