Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC'15 Final Weekend Build Up Thread

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Absolutely

No agreed 100%

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He wasn't remotely fit. Bad judgement call from Schmidt from start to finish. He's normally more ruthless but Healy got one chance too many.

I realise Kieran Read hasn't been a standout player this World Cup, but was reading a stat on the BBC saying that he has the most lineout steals of this RWC.

I wonder if the All Blacks are going to use kicking into touch deep in Australian territory as a weapon/tactic for the final. They certainly seemed happy to kick when hot on attack against SA.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

He wasn't remotely fit. Bad judgement call from Schmidt from start to finish. He's normally more ruthless but Healy got one chance too many.

The problem is a lot of what these guys do just comes on match day.

He rewarded bowe in the same manner and he played well when it mattered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I've noticed over the years with Healy is that he's not a good bench player. For some reason he has his best performances when he starts and is at his most anonymous when he benches.

He was one of the first to be substituted against Argentina (on 50 mins as I recall) and McGrath was ready to go on at 45 minutes.

• Advertisement

http://stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/73451740/Statistics-suggest-All-Blacks-are-Rugby-World-Cup-final-favourites

Interesting statistical breakdown ahead of the final. All Blacks have had easier opposition, which skews things a bit.

Pocock is king of the turnover, with as many as Read and McCaw combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭techdiver

Some good news for the prospects of a good open game, is the weather forecast for Saturday in London is good. Sunny 18 degrees.

Can't wait to go over now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Basil3 wrote: »
    I realise Kieran Read hasn't been a standout player this World Cup, but was reading a stat on the BBC saying that he has the most lineout steals of this RWC.

I wonder if the All Blacks are going to use kicking into touch deep in Australian territory as a weapon/tactic for the final. They certainly seemed happy to kick when hot on attack against SA.

Horses for courses - The SA second row, despite their unbelievable athleticism, were extremely inexperienced and NZ targeted them relentlessly at the lineout. I'm not sure about the knockout stages, but I remember seeing a statistic towards the end of the group stages that Etzebeth hadn't received a single lineout throw for SA; they simply weren't using him and were relying solely on De Jaeger once Matfield got injured. Hence, NZ kicked to touch all day long and put massive pressure on the SA lineout, and it paid off.

The Australian lineout is far more secure, and they have more jumper options than SA, so I doubt NZ will target the lineout as a weakness. It's hard to know where the weakness is in the Australian game - their scrum is solid, lineout is fine, they're the breakdown kings, their defence and tackling has been sensational, and they have an unbelievably good back three. The only slight weakness I'd see is that Kuridrani tends to get a bit isolated in midfield sometimes and relies on his strength to get himself out of trouble - this won't be an option against Nonu. Perhaps having one dedicated 'shooter' in defence could limit the Australian passing options - I don't see NZ committing numbers to the Australian rucks so NZ should have defensive numbers wide to cover.

Kicking points is an obvious weakness and in their last two matches they never pulled away despite scoring a hatful of tries.

Moflojo wrote: »
    The Australian lineout is far more secure, and they have more jumper options than SA, so I doubt NZ will target the lineout as a weakness. It's hard to know where the weakness is in the Australian game - their scrum is solid, lineout is fine, they're the breakdown kings, their defence and tackling has been sensational, and they have an unbelievably good back three. The only slight weakness I'd see is that Kuridrani tends to get a bit isolated in midfield sometimes and relies on his strength to get himself out of trouble - this won't be an option against Nonu. Perhaps having one dedicated 'shooter' in defence could limit the Australian passing options - I don't see NZ committing numbers to the Australian rucks so NZ should have defensive numbers wide to cover.

I think defensively Australia could be put to the sword. They have missed a crazy amount of tackles, but their cover defence has managed to save them. A lot of that comes down to how clinical their opposition has been. The All Blacks will definitely be presented with plenty of opportunities to score.

I can't imagine it being anything but an open game, hopefully enjoyable for the neutral. If I was the All Blacks, I would be going hard after Foley. If you put him under pressure and he doesn't play well, then their other option is still even worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭tbm

This may have been posted elsewhere. I'm a big Nigel Owens fan, but this is a very interesting read:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/opinion/73400315/Mark-Reason-Nigel-Owens-will-referee-the-Rugby-World-Cup-final-or-will-he

Makes me think of the second test in 2012 too, the repeated reset scrums leading to the repeated Carter drop goal attempts.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

South Africa team for the weekend.

CSa2EHYWEAA6_nJ.png

Bench: Strauss, Nyakane, De Plessis, De Jager, Alberts, Paige, Lambie, Serfontain

Thought they'd have more bridesmaids out for the sister-kissing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Teams are in.

CSfkGntWoAAzeOG.png
    Tatafu Polota-Nau, James Slipper, Greg Holmes, Dean Mumm, Ben McCalman, Nick Phipps, Matt Toomua, Kurtley Beale

CSegqVcW4AA7Fcb.jpg

Busy day for Ben Smith....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Teams are in.

CSfkGntWoAAzeOG.png
    Tatafu Polota-Nau, James Slipper, Greg Holmes, Dean Mumm, Ben McCalman, Nick Phipps, Matt Toomua, Kurtley Beale

CSegqVcW4AA7Fcb.jpg

Busy day for Ben Smith....

amazed folau starts tbh. He played pretty poorly against Argentina. made bad decision after bad decision and gave plenty of good ball away. Beale has played well every time he's come on and deserves to start.

Folau is a beast of a player, but he's just too rusty and needs more game time before getting back to his best.

Advertisement