Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC'15 Final Weekend Build Up Thread

Options
  • 26-10-2015 4:28pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We're almost there. Two games left, the consolation prize game on Friday night, followed by the final on Saturday. (Followed by the big game of the weekend, Connacht v Edinburgh in the Pro12 :p )

All buildup talk to the games in this thread. Swiwi is doing a match thread for the final, which will be posted later in the week. Volunteers welcome to do a match thread for the "bronze final".

I'll kick it off here. Nigel Owens to ref the final, probably the best choice IMO. John Lacey to ref the bronze final!! Paging awec... :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Delighted Nigel got it!

Looks like Iona was right! The gays are taking over 😂😂😋

http://bbc.in/1GmbGpn

BBC1 Wales 10.35 tonight

(See sat forum for tuning on sat)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Of note, the ARU has placed a bet on their side winning (or at least got someone to do so on their behalf). This is to cover the cost of the bonus payouts to Cheika and the lads if Australia win.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Of note, the ARU has placed a bet on their side winning (or at least got someone to do so on their behalf). This is to cover the cost of the bonus payouts to Cheika and the lads if Australia win.

Think this is something many teams do. Paddy Power even have a department dedicated to it. It's basically insurance rather than gambling.

• Advertisement

swiwi_ wrote: »

All teams do this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

a day out for the all blacks

glad nigel is reffing so there can be no complaints aboot the result

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

no one finds it weird that both the assistant referees are from NZ?? :eek:

Not true-my bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

no one finds it weird that both the assistant referees are from NZ?? :eek:

for the playoff

garces and barnes are assistants to owens for the final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

aimee1 wrote: »
    for the playoff

doubt mr owens will be listening to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

aimee1 wrote: »
    for the playoff

oops, missed the bronze final part for some reason. carry on so!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

When Nigel didn't get a semi gig it seemed obvious he would get the final - great choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The backrow battle will be something else. Richie McCaw, the all time great openside, in his last game for New Zealand against Pocock and Hooper. Kieran Read has had a quiet tournament by his standards but we all know his potential when he appears in the wide channels. Fascinating!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Two best teams in the tournament,should be a great final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

This might sound crazy but with a better scrum and a superb lineout should the all blacks try and keep the game tight?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

no dountt the 2 best teams , BUT I feel really blaahh towards the final - if Argentina had reached the final , or Wales , Soctland (or us) - but someone different , something new - this WC started off so brilliantly with Japan , and in the end it is the old predictables - hopefully in Japan '19 something new will happen - its been all so predictable since the quarters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

thebaz wrote: »
    no dountt the 2 best teams , BUT I feel really blaahh towards the final - if Argentina had reached the final , or Wales , Soctland (or us) - but someone different , something new - this WC started off so brilliantly with Japan , and in the end it is the old predictables - hopefully in Japan '19 something new will happen - its been all so predictable since the quarters.

japans poached players were not quite good enough. they should have a few more by 2019.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The irony of denigrating a country for having foreign-born players, when your own country does the same, and pretty much every country in the WC does too. Unless you're Argentinean, of course.

People in glasshouses etc......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Cheika seems confident that Sio will be fit for Saturday, would be a big plus. Pocock, Folau, and Giteau are all good as well, plus Rob Horne should be available so Cheika should have his full 31 to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

This might sound crazy but with a better scrum and a superb lineout should the all blacks try and keep the game tight?

Do New Zealand have a better scrum? They were battered on Saturday and if Scott Sio is fit I would back the Aussies in that department.
    Lineout is NZ for sure
    Backrow is fascinating but I'll go with Australia
    Halfbacks are NZ comfortably
    Centres I'll say even
    Back 3 NZ marginally

Will be a great game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

japans poached players were not quite good enough. they should have a few more by 2019.

what players did they poach ?

Best WC ever IMO two standout teams are there saying Scotland should be there is nuts

and no one else is poaching - shame really

duckysauce wrote: »
    Best WC ever IMO two standout teams are there saying Scotland should be there is nuts

didn't say that - said I would prefer NZ/Scotland (or Wales /Ireland / Argentina

...something different, the final stages are too predictable for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

I'll bite, who did they poach and from who?

Australia to win. I hope. South Africa to finish third.

didn't say that - said I would prefer NZ/Scotland (or Wales /Ireland / Argentina

cool misread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Perhaps at the highest level not much has changed (although did we really expect Argentina?), but the gap between the top tier 2 nations and tier 1 has dramatically narrowed over the last 3 world cups. This is extremely healthy and seriously needed for rugby. Only a matter of time before other viable competitors appear.

I also think this World Cup will finally give France and England the kick up the arse they need. Forget the whole SH/NH debate, if Gatland or Schmidt had a few years coaching they could have fairly realistically made the semis. They'll still underachieve due to their demanding domestic leagues, but if they select the best players available and become well drilled by a good coaching staff they should always be thereabouts, like South Africa.

For me anyway it's been a class World Cup, where expansive running rugby has persevered. Obviously the final has my priority, but as a contest I'm more interested in Argentina and South Africa. Though I don't know how motivated teams get for a third place medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lunarhog

it would be good for the game for Australia to win to keep the all blacks from soaring even farther ahead of everyone else.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

If I had tickets for the final I'd make a massive Nigel banner to wave about. At least the Northern Hemisphere has some representation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

lunarhog wrote: »
    it would be good for the game for Australia to win to keep the all blacks from soaring even farther ahead of everyone else.

With all the retirements after this World Cup I'm not sure it would really mean anything long term for the All Blacks. It would be good for rugby in Australia if they won. It's fallen way down the ranks of popularity over there, I didn't even realise they hadn't made a final since the 2003 one.

Advertisement