Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster V Glasgow 23rd Oct

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

In his last 3 games he's beaten 10 defenders, made 5 clean breaks and 9 offloads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

awec wrote: »
    How difficult is it for these lads to gain weight? Ringrose doesn't look naturally bulky, do they just give him an insane diet and stick him in the gym for extra hours?

Not necessarily more hours in the gym but his s&c might be adapted. Diet is huge, lifestyle in general would be big. Heard a story of a young guy in college who was told he needed to bulk up to 80kg for Ulster to consider him. He was apparently doing everything right (diet + training) but couldn't gain much, turns out he had a 30-45 min walk to college, so up and back he was walking 1-1.5 hours per day 5 times a week, so lots of calories lost. Point is I'd say for some of these guys to put on good mass they'd need everything spot on as they're already in great shape.

• Administrators Posts: 53,562 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

.ak wrote: »
    It's hard. Like I'm sure you're aware but some guys just have an insanely high metabolism, plus they're playing and training for an athletic sport which involves a lot of fitness and cardio work.

Some guys just literally explode once they hit their high teens once they're supporting that growth correctly, but some take longer.

Some just can never get that bulk. I'd look at Reid for example - he was tiny for years, then suddenly managed to make some decent gains in terms of lean mass. However he's certainly not massive and won't get any bigger, even if he tried to add body fat - I don't think he's capable of it.

Yea I am unfortunately all too aware of how difficult it is to bulk up. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

When I was younger playing in Ireland we never even attempted to put on weight during the season. We had a semesterised program and focused on weight during April/May->August and then just did maintenance during the season. I honestly can't imagine how you'd play professionally while also putting on weight during a season, it'd be crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Hagz wrote: »
    In his last 3 games he's beaten 10 defenders, made 5 clean breaks and 9 offloads.

At least the offload count would point to that whatever about his weight when going into contact he's not struggling with the physicality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

When I was younger playing in Ireland we never even attempted to put on weight during the season. We had a semesterised program and focused on weight during April/May->August and then just did maintenance during the season. I honestly can't imagine how you'd play professionally while also putting on weight during a season, it'd be crazy.

You don't. It's the same at top level - maintainence during the on season.

Some players are in danger of losing weight.

When I said Ringrose needs add the kgs I'm talking about over the next few years, not this season, he won't be playing a huge amount of senior rugby this season anyway.

shuffol wrote: »
    At least the offload count would point to that whatever about his weight when going into contact he's not struggling with the physicality.

Well that's not true at all. In fact, that's stretching a stat to paint a picture.

When you make a half break its much easier to get an offload away, you don't need to be big or physical to do that. When you're through a defensive line players are scrambling and will aim to tackle you lower just to stop your run. Your hands should be free for an offload. That's where we've seen most of Ringrose's offloads.

The point of him putting on some kgs is so he can play centre. There's a reason why o'shea was picked ahead of him last week, today the game demands centre to take contact so much more now. He's been played out of position do he can keep developing but he's too small to play centre. We want him to play 13, where he can get his hands on the ball more and effect the game, but he won't get that opportunity until he adds more bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

.ak wrote: »
    You don't. It's the same at top level - maintainence during the on season.

Some players are in danger of losing weight.

When I said Ringrose needs add the kgs I'm talking about over the next few years, not this season, he won't be playing a huge amount of senior rugby this season anyway.

It has been obvious over the last few years that some players have came back too big after the summer. SOB last year and Healy this year in particular, it really seems to effect skill levels. Do u think this is something the coaches see as benefit to the season or the player taking it upon themselves and doing things differently than they are asked?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RichieRich89

I don't think Ringrose needs to bulk up much. A quick google search told me that he was 89kg - same as Mark Bennett (don't know how accurate that is). Conrad Smith is 95kg, Jonathan Joseph is 91kg and Henry Slade is 87kg. There could be a danger that he'd lose sharpness and flexibility if he tries to add muscle too quickly. I remember watching some athletics and Michael Johnson was saying that he wanted Jeremy Wariner to add some bulk, but slowly, so as not to negatively affect speed. Pair Ringrose at 13 with Te'o or Fitz at 12 and he'll be fine. Skills and technique all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I don't think Ringrose needs to bulk up much. A quick google search told me that he was 89kg - same as Mark Bennett (don't know how accurate that is). Conrad Smith is 95kg, Jonathan Joseph is 91kg and Henry Slade is 87kg. There could be a danger that he'd lose sharpness and flexibility if he tries to add muscle too quickly. I remember watching some athletics and Michael Johnson was saying that he wanted Jeremy Wariner to add some bulk, but slowly, so as not to negatively affect speed. Pair Ringrose at 13 with Te'o or Fitz at 12 and he'll be fine. Skills and technique all the way!

Hes pretty skinny but hes also 6'1, he has a pretty big frame on him compared to someone like, say, Billy Dardis:

1000578.jpg

Dardis is someone I would see struggling with the physicality of the pro game without bulking up a lot, I wouldnt really have the same concern with Ringrose

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Was Ringrose playing 11 last night? (Still getting to know the greater Leinster team) :o

Edit checked, he was playing 14, sorry

Why does everyone keep taking about him as a centre if he's currently a winger?

Stheno wrote: »
    Was Ringrose playing 11 last night? (Still getting to know the greater Leinster team) :o

Edit checked, he was playing 14, sorry

Why does everyone keep taking about him as a centre if he's currently a winger?

Because he's an out-and-out 13 who is being played on the wing to introduce him to top level rugby

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Because he's an out-and-out 13 who is being played on the wing to introduce him to top level rugby

Thanks, did he play 13 at u20?

hogandrew wrote: »
    It has been obvious over the last few years that some players have came back too big after the summer. SOB last year and Healy this year in particular, it really seems to effect skill levels. Do u think this is something the coaches see as benefit to the season or the player taking it upon themselves and doing things differently than they are asked?

I'd say the s&c team work fairly closely with the team even in the off season. Whilst the guys obviously are in charge of their own nutrition and gym work id say their body comp is monitored periodically - they would be given targets and goals by the management.

There's no problem starting the season with a bit too much mass... Because you're more than likely gonna lose some of that during the season.

SOB was right to come back a bit heavier, it suits his game as he's a marked carrier, it's also good injury prevention.

Healy, by his own admission, came back too heavy after his second last injury. I think after the most recent break he's back at just the right size. He's big but he's very lean, that'll aid him massively for scrummaging. He may not be flying around the pitch but the reality is he prop. He's not a centre, as much as he wants to be... Once he gets back his peak match fitness he'll be more dynamic and quicker.

Yep.

Yip. Got nominated for junior player of the year as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭typhoony

Yip. Got nominated for junior player of the year as well

That was in 2014, strangely he was not as good in 2015 JWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Just watching this back and at half time. The amount of work that VDF got through was outstanding. He really is very, very good.

It was interesting that McQuilkan mentioned pretty early on about playing more territory and not throwing the ball around for the sake of it. Yet that didn't translate on the pitch.

And the number of turnover we won in that half. 8!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Not necessarily more hours in the gym but his s&c might be adapted. Diet is huge, lifestyle in general would be big. Heard a story of a young guy in college who was told he needed to bulk up to 80kg for Ulster to consider him. He was apparently doing everything right (diet + training) but couldn't gain much, turns out he had a 30-45 min walk to college, so up and back he was walking 1-1.5 hours per day 5 times a week, so lots of calories lost. Point is I'd say for some of these guys to put on good mass they'd need everything spot on as they're already in great shape.

And that guy was Stuart McCloskey

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The size of Taqele last night for Glasgow. He's an absolute monster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

The size of Taqele last night for Glasgow. He's an absolute monster.

I thought he looked unfit and uninterested a lot of the time though tbh. Feckin monster all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Didn' get to this match and just about got to see it on TV. Delighted with the way the backs threw the ball around - all a bit raw, but great for a crowd of youngsters. I would have settled for a LBP, and was delighted with the win. Very excited about Ringrose - hope he gets plenty of game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

vienne86 wrote: »
    Didn' get to this match and just about got to see it on TV. Delighted with the way the backs threw the ball around - all a bit raw, but great for a crowd of youngsters. I would have settled for a LBP, and was delighted with the win. Very excited about Ringrose - hope he gets plenty of game time.

Yep he has to, he's the most talented back to come through at Leinster in a long while. Has taken to pro rugby really well. It'll be harder for him to get gametime when all the internationals are back but hopefully he ends up with 10+ starts this season. Can see him being first choice within a few seasons.

Advertisement