Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster V Glasgow 23rd Oct

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

crisco10 wrote: »
    In ground it looked like he knocked it backwards. Hence my confusion. Never mind

he knocked it back but your not allowed knock the ball out like that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

NU8 wrote: »
    Hard to believe Isa hasn't played in two years. Looks as good as ever!

And thank god, so many doubters.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭NU8

crisco10 wrote: »
    In ground it looked like he knocked it backwards. Hence my confusion. Never mind

It's knocking it dead that results in a penalty. You can't knock it dead or into touch from your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

NU8 wrote: »
    Swatting it away like that in the in goal area is always a penalty try. Had he even made it look like he was trying to catch it he probably would've gotten away with it.

I think McFadden had missed it so not a certain try to give a penalty try

And if he hit it in goal that would be fine as Leinster played it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

hogandrew wrote: »
    I think McFadden had missed it so not a certain try to give a penalty try

Yeah I thought so as well, maybe a bit lucky there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

pretty poor there from McFadden after he caught the bouncing pass from Reid.

We'd numbers there but he took it to ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

VDF has played very well. Consistent gain line success and solid in defence.

(I hope. Otherwise I've drank too much)

Horgan gives the Leinster 14 MOTM. :P

FT: 23-18 Leinster

sheep? wrote: »

Half backs have been good, a bit of naivety from marsh in not seeking space at times but thats to be expected

Furlong and Boss made a big difference when they come on

• Advertisement

Yeah he was excellent this week again.

With Ruddock, SOB and Heaslip coming back it'll be interesting to see if JVDF can get himself onto the bench.

Horgan gives the Leinster 14 MOTM. :P

lol

Sky commentator claiming the yc at the end of the first half was harsh :eek:

aimee1 wrote: »
    lol

Sky commentator claiming the yc at the end of the first half was harsh :eek:

Lawson? Yeah he was saying it at the time as well. Don't think Glasgow can have too many complaints, yellow was the right call.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭A-Train

Happy with that result would have well taken it before kick off! Tracy has too really work on his darts, terrible I think 1/3, scrums went well, decent hands, a bit passive in defence I thought at times. Still a work in progress but beginning to look decent with some sort of gameplan!

A-Train wrote: »
    Happy with that result would have well taken it before kick off! Tracy has too really work on his darts, terrible I think 1/3, scrums went well, decent hands, a bit passive in defence I thought at times. Still a work in progress but beginning to look decent with some sort of gameplan!

loads of positives, no real negatives for me, just things that will improve with time from a group of young players with bags of potential, the way they are trying to play with width and pace is far more enjoyable, a little frustrating as a few times the final pass just went astray but fair play to Leo for giving them that trust to have a go.

The lineout is an issue but when cronin and strauss return it becomes less of an issue and gives tracy time to work on it. 14 points from 5 games, and only 6-7 from the top depending on how other results go is a very acceptable return

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

My only negative was our attacking play consisted of marsh playing really flat and demanding his backline to play flat. I thought that was pretty poor play from us - more heads up rugby needed. The Glasgow wingers never covered the space because marsh never looked up to see what was on.

You can't play that flat against a team like Glasgow when we're not bossing the gainline. That's why there was so many knock ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Just back from it. Overall I'm happy enough. The first half was very frustrating though. It's all well and good to go playing with ball in hand if you can work your way up the pitch, but the Glasgow rush (and constant offside) made that very difficult. However it also meant they only ever had 2 men sweeping behind the defensive line so there was loads of space we could have been exploiting. Instead we played way too much rugby in our own half and paid the price for it. We also spilled a lot of ball too.

It was quite noticeable that McGrath was the one kicking from hand too, not Marsh. Is that a weaknesses to the Marshs game? We never really needed to see a territory game for the As recently so I'm not sure.

The second half we tightened things up a bit though and put Glasgow under a lot more pressure. Furlong was excellent when he came on. I'm sure he was truly pumped for it having seen so little game time the last few weeks. Moloney again impressed me. Maccer was solid as a rock and showed some good hands at times. VDF was excellent though. Pick of the forwards today, again. This guy has a real future at Leinster. Conan carried well but Rhys was a little on the quiet side, understandably so. Special mention for Tracy, who despite some line out wobbles, was pretty good going forward. Did a lot of work in the build up to our second try.

In the backs McGrath flung a few ropey ones but was very good besides that. I thought Marsh showed again he has a great ball in hand game, but I would worry a little about his decision making and his ability to play territory. Hopefully Johnny will teach him a few things in the coming months. Reid and Te'o were a little bit more subdued than recent outings, but I love Te'os ability to get the ball away in the contact. Isa was, well, Isa. Ferg was busy but Ringrose was the pick of the backs for me. A few defensive issues, but give that guy the ball and you can see the crowd get excited.

As Ferg was lining up the conversion at the end there the RDS had started to come alive. There was a real atmosphere that had been missing for the last couple of years. We were a bit lateral and predictable at times and we struggled against what was a really good and very entertaining Glasgow side. But we were playing, we were offloading and getting around guys. And we've a few young lads who are not just stepping up but also looking like really talented players in their own right. And you could sense the positivity around the place off the back of that.

It wasn't the perfect game and there were definite issues, but it was a win against a good side that showed some positives as well. With the internationals to come back I'll gladly take that. Leo's tenure has been good so far. Now let's see if we can build on these last few weeks with the internationals back and some tougher opposition to face.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Very early days I know and it'll probably be the kiss of death to him, but since Luke Fitzgerald 9 years ago I haven't been as excited about a young talent as I am about Garry Ringrose.

Tracy carried well but missed a crucial tackle that let Glasgow in and also had those lineout difficulties. He'll be disappointed with that overall today after getting a good shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Tracy carried well but missed a crucial tackle that let Glasgow in and also had those lineout difficulties. He'll be disappointed with that overall today after getting a good shot.

Yeah he never got near his man. It was poor enough. But I'm on TFs positivity train here seeing as he's abandoned us all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Fitzgerald broke through nine years ago?

Jesus....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Very early days I know and it'll probably be the kiss of death to him, but since Luke Fitzgerald 9 years ago I haven't been as excited about a young talent as I am about Garry Ringrose.

He does look a superb talent, you'd hope he doesn't get squeezed out by all the experience that is coming back into the squad.

He looks good enough and he is old enough. At his age Anthony Watson was first choice for England.

Ringrose looks mercurial - thought he had some poor moments in defence and kick chase but when he gets the ball he's a bit special alright.

Badly needs those extra kgs though. Hopefully he'll find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

.ak wrote: »
    Ringrose looks mercurial - thought he had some poor moments in defence and kick chase but when he gets the ball he's a bit special alright.

I don't think he's that mercurial as a player, he's inexperienced and playing out of position but I don't think his style is wild and inconsistent a la michalak, and his defence has looked really sound most of the time I've seen him (although he does ocassionaly slip a few tackles I admit)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

Tox56 wrote: »
    I don't think he's that mercurial as a player, he's inexperienced and playing out of position but I don't think his style is wild and inconsistent a la michalak, and his defence has looked really sound most of the time I've seen him (although he does ocassionaly slip a few tackles I admit)

I think he has been good. A bit naive in attack at times (trying to burn the opportunity winger on the outside etc.) But really excited to see him in the future at 13. He appears to have the frame to take a bit more bulk which would make him some unit. ..

Tox56 wrote: »

He has made some excellent decisions in defence so far. I wouldn't worry about his defence at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

.ak wrote: »

I'm sure they have him on the cheeseburgers alright. I just hope they know what they are doing and don't bulk him so much it interferes with his speed.

• Administrators Posts: 53,562 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How difficult is it for these lads to gain weight? Ringrose doesn't look naturally bulky, do they just give him an insane diet and stick him in the gym for extra hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

awec wrote: »
    How difficult is it for these lads to gain weight? Ringrose doesn't look naturally bulky, do they just give him an insane diet and stick him in the gym for extra hours?

Extra time in the gym won't do a lot. Maybe they'll shift him from more strength based rep ranges to hypertrophy ranges. The rest will be down to sleep, food and... er... supplementation.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »

It's hard. Like I'm sure you're aware but some guys just have an insanely high metabolism, plus they're playing and training for an athletic sport which involves a lot of fitness and cardio work.

Some guys just literally explode once they hit their high teens once they're supporting that growth correctly, but some take longer.

Some just can never get that bulk. I'd look at Reid for example - he was tiny for years, then suddenly managed to make some decent gains in terms of lean mass. However he's certainly not massive and won't get any bigger, even if he tried to add body fat - I don't think he's capable of it.

Advertisement