Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC'15 Semi-Final 1: South Africa vs New Zealand, Sat 24/10 16:00

Options
  • 23-10-2015 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

Date: Saturday, October 24
    Venue: Twickenham, London
    Kick-off: 16:00 local (15:00 GMT)
    Referee: Jérôme Garcès (France)
    Assistant Referees: Romain Poite (France), Johnny Lacey (Ireland)
    TMO: George Ayoub (Australia)

All-Blacks-Haka.jpg

Springboks

1. Tendai Mtawarira (6)
    The beast as he is commonly referred to has yet to produce a good game this World Cup. He struggles at scrum time to bind correctly but once he does he can be incredibly destructive. One of the most consistently inconsistent players in World Rugby. He doesn’t have the ball skills of his opposite number and will need to be at his very best for his team to beat the All Blacks.

2. Bismarck du Plessis (8)
    “Bizzie” “Battleship” as he is commonly referred, is the best hooker in World Rugby bar none. An incredibly powerful scrummager he is consistently let down by his propping partners in the biggest battles. Acts as a defacto second number 7 at the breakdown and a furious in defence he really sets the tone for what the Springboks is all about. His lineout work is fantastic and will need to be against the Blacks “dream team” in the second row.

3. Frans Malherbe (7)
    Getting his chance finally, strange selection policy but this guy is the best tighthead they have. A powerful scrummager who took apart the much vaunted French scrum in Paris a few years ago. Far more active in the loose than Jannie du Plessis and a could be a real difference maker up front if the scrum gets the nod ahead of the All Blacks.

4. Lood De Jager (9)
    Player of the tournament for me. A truly outstanding young lock of the very highest quality. Destructive in defense, a gain line buster in possession and excellent in set piece. No more you can ask for.

5. Eben Etzebeth (8)
    Not back to his brilliant best but has turned the corner. Will need to be “slammer” in the tight to pressure the half backs of the opposition. His carrying is a worry, goes in to high into contact but the rest of his game is as good as you can find. A true young great locking partnership in the game.

6. Francois Louw (7)
    Louw has had a good World Cup. He bring physicality to the breakdown and a defter touch with ball in hand. He will need to snaffle a lot more ball tomorrow to affect the outcome against the great Richie McCaw. Can he do it?....possibly but Henrich Brussow should be here.

7. Schalk Burger (8.5)
    Lazarus himself returned from his death bed to lead the Springboks from the front. His work rate is at the ceiling of a human with 2 arms and legs. Leads the carry count at this World Cup at 80 carries, 20 more than the next player. 35 of those carries broke the gain line second only to Michael Leitch of Japan. 3rd in the tackle count with 55 tackles. WOW…..The only reason he doesn’t get a 10 is he runs too high into the tackle and turns over needless possession. He is too spirited for his own good but Jee Whizz this guy is the Greatest Springbok of his generation.

8. Duane Vermulen (7.5)
    Not at his peak, struggles to get involved in a game unless the ball his shoved into his hands at first phase possession. His rucking is extremely proficient and needs to be careful he doesnt go over the edge. His demeanour is of a player who isn’t happy, he seems to sulk a lot on the pitch if things aren’t going his way. Du Preez needs to give him a kick in the arse in my opinion. He does raise his game for the All BLACKS.

9. Fourie Du Preez (8)
    Alexander the Great, Napolean and Fourie Du Preez in that order. The “general” is the team. He exudes a calm around the pitch that only the greats can. He organises the forwards and generates the momentum for Pollard with his crisp passing. As captain he leads by example and not by words.

10. Handre Pollard (7)
    The 21 year old has a lot on his shoulders. He tackles bravely and will need to with Nonu and Savea flying down his inside shoulder. Tactical kicking has improved but his place kicking is wild and erratic. Can’t afford to miss many kicks at the weekend. Hasn’t unlocked the backline yet but not sure he has been given the right key yet.

11. Habana (8)
    Back to somewhere near his best. Needs to consistently look for work in this team as the ball doesn’t get to the wing too often. Solid.

12. De Allende (8)
    Find of the tournament. Powerful runner, always makes yards after initial contact. Looks explosive in space which he had precious little of so far. Good tackler…..looks a rock in defence at his tender age. Long career ahead of him.

13. Kriel (7)
    Hasn’t found any space to show his attacking nous. Needs to look for more and can be too passive in a game. Still only a brat like Pollard but has plenty of time to grow into his 13 shirt. Maybe a World Cup too soon for this 10.12.13 axis.

14. JP Pieterson (8)
    Some people will laugh at this rating for Pieterson but for me he has set the defensive tone for the Springboks. He has a sniff for last man tackle and is just as dangerous on the intercept. He compresses the pitch very well by making a decision and sticking with it. Nobody has managed to get around him so far and with Skudder doing all sorts of things with his feet JP will need to be at his very best to slow this back 3 down.

15. Le Roux (7)
    Not close to his brilliant best but the fact he pops up all over the backline will give opposition cause for concern. His ability under the high ball is a worry. Seems to get lost in the stars more often than not.

Total: 114/150

New Zealand:

1. Joe Moody (6.5)
    Nobody knows how he stands up in a real battle. But he is a ball player and a skilful one at that. Malherbe and Bismark could pose a significant test.

2. Dane Coles (7.5)
    Hits his darts and a real live wire around the field. Solid in contact but not in the same league as his opposite number.

3. Owen Franks (8)
    If Franks goes down this scrum is in a whole lot of trouble but he never does. A real solid professional tight head. No frills.

4. Retallick (9)
    He and De Jager are the best second rows in World Rugby. A complete nuisance in open play and master at the lineout and still so young. Seems to pop up in a big game with a huge play.

5. Whitelock (8.5)
    A hell of player. The modern lock, quick and skillful. Going to be with Retallick for many years to come. Probably the best locking team in the World right now and may not have peaked.

6. Kaino (7)
    A solid tackler and does a lot of the dirty work that allow Kieran Read to flourish. Has never stood out against the Springboks and they will look to physically impose themselves on him. Could be a potential weakness.

7. McCaw (8)
    Captain fantastic….not much more to be said. No matter what game plan you use he is always at the bottom of a ruck. Seems to have an endless engine.

8. Read (7.5)
    Not at his best for me. Still a hell of a player and a nightmare on restarts for the opposition. A truly monumental collision in prospect with Vermulen. Both will be licking their chops.

9. Smith (7)
    Livewire and very talented player. Suits to be playing in an end to end game. This won’t be that.

10. Carter (8)
    Back to his best with a mesmerizing display last week. This writer had written him off….and still has a knawing at the back of my head that he will struggle this weekend. We will see…..

11. Savea (8)
    Not quite Lomu but not far off. A real find for the All Blacks the past few years. He won’t have it as easy this weekend.

12. Nonu (7.5)
    Still going and still playing very well. His offloads are underrated and his defense mind is as good as there is around. Will have his hands full with the Boks back row of first phase ball.

13. Conrad Smith (8)
    What a player….not the biggest but definitely the smartest. A great rugby mind does the simple things at an excellent level. They will miss him after this World Cup.

14. Skudder (8)
    The best step in the game with Folau…..another fantastic winger for the All Blacks as they grow towards the 2017 Lions. The Springboks will need to work out a way to keep him quiet.

15. Smith (8)
    Like Conrad not the biggest but definitely one of the smartest. So deceptively strong in contact and a real gentleman off the pitch. A credit to his family. A fresh breath of air to a game run by big behemoths. Hopefully we see more players like Ben Smith.

Total: 116.5

All Blacks win but a close one :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I have the Boks in the sweep in work so will be cheering them on, though won't give a toss if NZ play like they did against the French as it will be sight to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Liking the analysis, I too had written Pieterson off before this, I thought he was being brought along as a quota filler, or based on past achievements, but he has been excellent. DeAllende is not really a find, well not to South Africans he's been excellent for the Stormers & Western Province in the last couple of years.

The weather will suit the boks, forecast is for a lot of rain in London on Saturday so it's likely to an old fashioned up the jumper game plan which will really suit them.
    I worry that Garces, who seems to have a very loose relationship with the offside law, will let Ritchie get away with murder, I know it's a cliché but if there's an advantage to be taken he's the man to do it, that said Burger is no angel in pushing the line of what's legal and what's not.

I think it will be very close, no more than a score in it, interestingly Garces reffed their Rugby Championship game earlier this year in Jo'burg when there was only a try in it, in favour of the blacks.

I'd go for a similar result, AB's just sneaking it

• Subscribers Posts: 41,294 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

it will be gas after all the ignominy this week about southern v northern hemispehere if the boks win this game playing distinctly NH style rugby ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Hoping that Richie and the boys can give the Boks a really good hiding but I suspect that it could be close. All the haters in the pub will be cheering on the Boks but I'll be down there wearing my ABs shirt with pride. Can't wait!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

The Boks won't give a flying **** if the they win playing 'boring' rugby.

• Advertisement

Last time I checked, it rains more in NZ than Ireland. Don't think the AB's will be one bit phased by the weather either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Great write up. Thanks. A couple of thoughts from me:
    Rettallick & Whitelock vs De Jaeger & Etzebeth. Wow! Possibly the 2 best pairings in the world.
    A. Smith vs Du Preez. The apprentice vs the master. Smith is the best HB in the world but Du Preez is a wily campaigner.
    The battle at 10, 12 and 13. This time it's the ABs with the experience (over 300 caps) vs the youth and potential of SA. Is it a RWC too soon for the SA boys or one too far for the AB three.
    A couple of exciting back 3s as well. Expect to see Savea and NMS in round the rucks doing pick and go' to catch out the Bok forwards.

Just note on Joe Moody. I haven't seen much of him but he has been around the AB squad for a couple of years. Is rated a better scrummager than Crockett and is obviously a very good runner. This is easily his biggest test. Wish Woodcock was there.

Can't wait for this. Will be in the pub with a bunch of kiwis wearing our colours and screaming for our team. ABs by 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Rettallick & Whitelock vs De Jaeger & Etzebeth. Wow! Possibly the 2 best pairings in the world.

It is amazing that this match up would be worth the ticket price alone. It just keeps going as you compare the squads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Thanks for taking the time do write a preview Emperor1989. A couple of points

1) The coaches (Hansen > Meyer for me)
    2) The benches (NZ > SA for me)

There is always a lot of debate about which player would make which team etc, but I think people need to ask which player suits which team's gameplan best? A simple example is Bismarck and Dane. Bismarck is perfect for the SA style of play, while Dane goes well with the NZ style. Ditto for the scrumhalves.

Another thing I've really had reinforced this RWC is that each result must be taken in light of the strength of the opposition. Wales are currently clearly a better team than France. Therefore I don't over-read too much into NZ's victory or under-read too much into SA's closer result.

NZ has faced one top nation so far (Argentina) and found the going quite tough until the last 20 minutes when the bench made a difference. SA has faced Wales, and found the going very tough, they also lost to Japan but fairly easily squashed Scotland.

I think this game will be very close, and there is absolutely no way I am predicting anything other than frayed nerves for both sets of supporters.

I wish you good luck.

NB: forget to say, I fear Burger and De Allende the most from the Boks. Burger is one of the best Springboks of the professional era, and De Allende has looked class from day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Emperor1989

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Thanks for taking the time do write a preview Emperor1989. A couple of points

1) The coaches (Hansen > Meyer for me)
    2) The benches (NZ > SA for me)

There is always a lot of debate about which player would make which team etc, but I think people need to ask which player suits which team's gameplan best? A simple example is Bismarck and Dane. Bismarck is perfect for the SA style of play, while Dane goes well with the NZ style. Ditto for the scrumhalves.

Another thing I've really had reinforced this RWC is that each result must be taken in light of the strength of the opposition. Wales are currently clearly a better team than France. Therefore I don't over-read too much into NZ's victory or under-read too much into SA's closer result.

NZ has faced one top nation so far (Argentina) and found the going quite tough until the last 20 minutes when the bench made a difference. SA has faced Wales, and found the going very tough, they also lost to Japan but fairly easily squashed Scotland.

I think this game will be very close, and there is absolutely no way I am predicting anything other than frayed nerves for both sets of supporters.

I wish you good luck.

NB: forget to say, I fear Burger and De Allende the most from the Boks. Burger is one of the best Springboks of the professional era, and De Allende has looked class from day 1.

Agree regarding the coaches and also the use of the bench. Meyer doesn't use his eyes when replacing players and has decided before the game when players will be interchanged. I would fear the Barrett where ever he comes on...a dangerous footballer all over the park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Yep Barrett did bad things to Ireland when he came on in that game that never happened. He is seriously quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

What is amazing about NZ rugby is that they identified Barrett as the replacement for Carter while he was still in high school and have handled his development perfectly.

subfreq wrote: »
    What is amazing about NZ rugby is that they identified Barrett as the replacement for Carter while he was still in high school and have handled his development perfectly.

Wouldn't be that impressed. He is still struggling to tackle.

But yeah their talent ID program I'd pretty impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Wouldn't be that impressed. He is still struggling to tackle.

But yeah their talent ID program I'd pretty impressive.

who would you have there so ?

duckysauce wrote: »
    who would you have there so ?

Sorry you misunderstood. I'm glad he's there. I just wanted to point out he's a long way from the complete player. Yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Narcissus

Is this NZ team really worthy of being called a dream team ? They looked very sloppy at times in the group stages and then had an easy win against a terrible French team.

Narcissus wrote: »
    Is this NZ team really worthy of being called a dream team ? They looked very sloppy at times in the group stages and then had an easy win against a terrible French team.

who called them a dream team ?

Sorry you misunderstood. I'm glad he's there. I just wanted to point out he's a long way from the complete player. Yet.

yep not quite there, but he is class and speed to burn

who called them a dream team ?

mentioned in first post, in paragraph for Bismarck du Plessis

mentioned in first post, in paragraph for Bismarck du Plessis

ah ok yep dream team is a bit ohh , they lost the RC this year have covered only one bookies cap this year ,miss firing alot . But Lord they were class against the French :D:cool:

• Advertisement

ah ok yep dream team is a bit ohh , they lost the RC this year have covered only one bookies cap this year ,miss firing alot . But Lord they were class against the French :D:cool:

Yep agreed. While they were class against the French, France were equally poor. I could see the Boks beating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

De Allende will have to do better and Pietersen must summon the spirit of James Small from twenty years ago in similarly desperate circumstances out there on the wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

clash of the titans

up south africa

He's referring to the dream team of Whitelock and Retallick in the second row.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mickey1979

My thoughts are as follows it now looks glaringly obvious that France and Ireland knocked 7 shades of manure out of each other. Which probably led to two sub standard performances last week. Taking this into account the boks had a similarly tough game against Wales last week which leaves me thinking New Zealand with a soft game against France leaves them quite fresh. This in addition to New Zealand being a superior team leaves me in little doubt of a New Zealand win.

These are the only things I hope for, even though I realise I'm probably asking too much:

- Both teams try to play rugby
    - No controversial yellow cards (eg Maitland for Scotland)
    - No controversial match-deciding ref's decisions (Joubert in Sco/Aus match)
    - No big injuries to key players for either side

I hope the All Blacks do well, and they don't suffer from the weight of expectation. One thing they have developed well over the last 5+ years is the ability to win the tight ones. The Springboks haven't looked great for a good while, but that means nothing today.

It's gonna be a long day waiting for this match to roll around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Come on New Zealand!!!

Does anyone like RSA???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

Yep Barrett did bad things to Ireland when he came on in that game that never happened. He is seriously quick.

Everyone remembers Healy putting mccaw on his arse but Barrett flattened Healy late on and really got the Allblacks going

I feel physically ill waiting for this game

• Advertisement

They didn't take any quick line outs or quick tap pens against the minnows. Barely contested breakdown for first half of games. Intentionally put themselves under pressure in games they knew they would win anyway .

They had that pool on a string.
    And still beat Argentina with two men in the bin to be fair.

Advertisement