Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Former" Leinster players...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

WarZ wrote: »
    It wasn't a 'smart' comment, he didn't turn out to be a great player. That is a fact. Certainly not a player that warranted the sort of response that Cheika allegedly produced.

A certain poster is going to be very upset at this comment regarding Felix, King of the Fullbacks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

jm08 wrote: »
    Not all of us living in Leinster are Leinster supporters. A lot of people from outside Leinster living in Leinster. If you moved to Cork, would you start supporting Munster?

When I lived in Cork I used to travel to Thomond and Musgrave to watch games. A bit like awec and thomand going to the RDS. I wouldn't support Munster against Leinster, but I'd certainly support them against most other teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

He probably played a bit more for Munster than Felix, Keatley or Jordi Coghlan played for Leinster. Conway got a few games with Leinster.

I hear Keatley called a former Connacht player more than anything. And you do hear Mike Ross referred to as a Corkman, or Reddan and Cronin as Limerickmen. Conway has played almost as many games for Leinster as he has for Munster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

He won an underage Grand Slam.

Along with a lot of other players who never even went on to get professional contracts anywhere. Are they 'great players' too?

When I speak of great players I refer to the likes of Heaslip, Murray, Best, Kearney. Do you think Felix Jones is anywhere close to these guys?

Injuries are irrelevant I was stating a fact. There can be a lot of reasons why a player never reaches their potential, I am not arguing those reasons I am simply saying that in hindsight Felix Jones didn't become the player that Cheika was convinced he would.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Along with a lot of other players who never even went on to get professional contracts anywhere. Are they 'great players' too?

When I speak of great players I refer to the likes of Heaslip, Murray, Best, Kearney. Do you think Felix Jones is anywhere close to these guys?

Injuries are irrelevant I was stating a fact. There can be a lot of reasons why a player never reaches their potential, I am not arguing those reasons I am simply saying that in hindsight Felix Jones didn't become the player that Cheika was convinced he would.

Well, if going on hindsight, perhaps if he stayed in Leinster and didn't have 2 very serious injuries, the story might have been different.

PS - Rob Kearney isn't the player he was a few years ago - possibly to do with a few injuries he has had.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Well, if going on hindsight, perhaps if he stayed in Leinster and didn't have 2 very serious injuries, the story might have been different.

PS - Rob Kearney isn't the player he was a few years ago - possibly to do with a few injuries he has had.

And yet he is still miles above Felix Jones.

How many underage grandslams have Ireland won since then? You need a fair few good players together to do that - and he made that team.

And yet he is still miles above Felix Jones.

You are saying that after last weekend ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

It's like when Jared Payne tags out for Ulster, and they keep referring to him as a "former" Blues player. I mean, come on...

...everyone knows he played 2 seasons for the Crusaders.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Is it really all that important?

If this keeps up there'll be no shoulders left in the south west from all the chipping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Strange that Cheika went so mad about him leaving then. Although in fairness he didn't turn out great

Felix Jones came through the original version of what is now the academy, although it wasn't quite the same back then. It was full of back three players like Jones, Carr, Artemiev and Monaghan. Pretty strong year for the academy considering it also had Healy and O'Brien. This was back before any real Heineken Cup success so attendances were lower and budgets were a little tighter . Luke Fitzgerald had skipped the academy and gone straight into the senior team so there wasn't much room for another young lad. The story goes that the coaching setup really liked Jones but had to fight very hard with the upper management for the cash to sign one of the back 3 guys to a permanent deal because they spent a lot of money pursuing Nacewa. They eventually got the permission only to find that Jones had quietly gone away and got a deal elsewhere during the saga so Cheika went mad and froze Jones out of the squad and he went back to Seapoint.

Those injuries were very unfortunate, he was looking in those days like being a star for Leinster. Himself and Niall Morris both probably the best back 3 prospects we let get away.

But I don't understand the point of this thread. If you describe any of these guys as ex-Leinster guys it's correct. If three of them score in the same match its just an interesting tidbit to throw in to add a bit of colour, just as if Reddan and Ross scored in a Leinster match.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

lol weren't you calling these guys ****e the other day?

:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

This thread is going nowhere other than a slide into inter-provincial BS and infractions.

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement