Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 6 | Episode 3 | Thank You [AMC] [SPOILERS]

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭snowgal

I just read somewhere today where they said that there are 5000 zombies to every one human in TWD. Would that be right? They're fecked if so!!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

snowgal wrote: »
    I just read somewhere today where they said that there are 5000 zombies to every one human in TWD. Would that be right? They're fecked if so!!

That would extrapolate to about 1.5m people left alive worldwide. If we are to assume that each country had a similar ratio of zombie to humans, that means only just over 60k people in the US would have survived. It seems too low to me, although I'm not sure what the figures would likely be in TWDverse. Perhaps not a million miles away either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

End of discussion so.

Cheers for the smart remark though, nothing like brightening other peoples day.

Sorry I did not mean that in a snarky way. Rather the fact it is a fictional universe a certain amount of poetic licence needs to be taken into account.

The Walking Dead has its own universe so we cannot apply strict reality rules to a fictional universe, if we were the story would be difficult to develop.

For example if zombies decayed at a normal rate it would be over in a few months and there would not be much of story.

I went on to explain reasons in the TWD and other zombie literature why zombies are still around and some theory behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Tony EH wrote: »
    Who knows? I think they do still chow down on the freshly dead, so long as they're not "one of their own" as it were.

Funny thing is the walkers don't seem to need to eat, at least not to sustain themselves! Think about all the walkers even ricks group have come across trapped under cars or in buildings. Most of these were probably trapped since close to the outbreak about 2 years ago. In a way they don't even need to kill to reinfect. Everyone will die eventually either through starvation, thirst, other people killing them or the less likely outcome of old age.

The only point of eating seems to be to destroy and of course for its gore effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

The only point of eating seems to be to destroy and of course for its gore effect

There is more theory that only the very base of the brain stem is still functional. The most basic and primitive part of the brain. This is what signals hunger. The zombie are constantly hungry/starving and this i why they seek out meat. This also explains why destroying the brain stops them.

They do not need to eat, and do not even have functional digestive tracks. The food consumed just rots inside them and blotes until forces out the other end.

I am getting this from both Max Brooks zombie books and TWD. Which have very similarly linked zombie rules and styles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Funny thing is the walkers don't seem to need to eat, at least not to sustain themselves! Think about all the walkers even ricks group have come across trapped under cars or in buildings. Most of these were probably trapped since close to the outbreak about 2 years ago. In a way they don't even need to kill to reinfect. Everyone will die eventually either through starvation, thirst, other people killing them or the less likely outcome of old age.

The only point of eating seems to be to destroy and of course for its gore effect.

Again, if we go back to Romero (who invented the modern zombie), the living dead act on a deep level instinct that functions in an imperfect way.

In 'Day of the Dead', they show a zombie with its stomach removed, but it still tries to bite even though it can't digest anything.

It isn't doing it out of hunger, it's doing it because it's rotting R complex is telling it to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every mother****er in the room, accept no substitutes.

Advertisement