Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

question for athiests

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Go with the cranberries I reckon. Nice twist. I've put them in my Christmas cake.

Christmas cake you say. Hmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Aw shit, you didn't say Festivus! Our cover is blown!

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Lucena wrote: »
    Lads, will ye give the OP a break, I can see where they're coming from (I think).

Possibly the thinking is, and I'm only guessing here, coming from the point of view of a believer: How can you get through life knowing that at the end of it, it was all for nothing.

If that's where he's coming from then he has the wrong point of view. Most atheists I know think "this is it so make the most of it".

For me I see religion as pretty much the opposite. Put up with all of the crap you're given now because you'll be rewarded when you're dead which happily enough nobody can ever disprove.

When I'm having a nice meal or watching a good movie I don't get sad and think "why bother" because I know it's going to end soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I used to only toast one side when I was young but then copped on and now do both sides BUT!!! finished product has to be left to go cold BEFORE buttering

Blasphamy

Cold toast tastes like cardboard

melted butter on warm toast is one of life's greatest pleasures

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Akrasia wrote: »
    With the slightest dusting of cut-comb honey.

And Tea. Earl Gray. Hot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I'm gonna second the cold toast before buttering it......pure bliss makes me happy I was born!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

robindch wrote: »

And Tea. Earl Gray. Hot.

Or Marmite.

But with coffee. Strong enough to trot a mouse on.

*senses another schism coming*

lazygal wrote: »
    Discussion about toast and pizza and biscuits is NEVER a waste of time.
    I had quite a tasty piece of pizza bread last night at a place in Sandymount which has only just started doing pizzas. Unfortunately, it was on the menu as "Pizza bread, covered in our delicious home-made tomato sauce, or just drizzled with olive-oil, rosemary and roasted garlic".

Buoyed by a sense of impending rosemary bread, I ordered it, entirely forgetting to mention the rosemary bit so the forum can imagine my disappointment when it showed up covered in tasty, but completely disappointing, tomato sauce.

First world problem and all of that, but a problem all the same.

#idisappointme

Shrap wrote: »
    Or Marmite.
    There is never cause to use marmite for anything other than tea with the neighbours. Or deviant uncles.

There is never cause to use marmite for anything other than tea with the neighbours. Or deviant uncles.

You have been sadly mislead. A clear case of bigotry and I blame the parents. That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,352 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Was that the stupidest opening post ever? Poll needs an extra question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,643 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

And Tea. Earl Gray. Hot.

Tea?

TEA????

Coffee is the way to go first thing in the morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Earl Gray my árse - Irish breakfast tea (Lyons or Barrys) is the only true path to enlightenment - maybe occasionally coffee as long as it's not instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Blasphamy

That reminded me of the bit in Homage to Catalonia, where Orwell describes how the Republican propaganda shouters in the trenches would sometimes not bother belting out the party line, but instead call out 'Buttered toast! We're all sitting down to buttered toast here right now!' IIRC he said did not doubt it's effectiveness.:)

hungry

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    Earl Gray my árse - Irish breakfast tea (Lyons or Barrys) is the only true path to enlightenment - maybe occasionally coffee as long as it's not instant.

Yes this is a breakfast tea nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Blasphamy

Warm buttered toast dipped in tea... Mmmm

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Taking your non belief into account would you have preferred not to have been born or are you delighted you were?

Belief in cloud wizards and sky fairies has nothing to do with the birth of any species so your question is null, void and stupid.

Yes this is a breakfast tea nation.

Although the coffee drinkers are here just as long I reckon, and at least they don't try to tell the tea drinkers what to drink.

BTW, Mr.P, Ew. Just Ew. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I prefer Hawaiian pizza.
    Did we ever settle the jaffa cakes-biscuits or not question?

What a time to be alive!!
    I believe that matter has been conclusively settled in the UK by the infinite wisdom of Her Majesties Revenue and Customs. Given the persuasive influence of legal decisions in a nearby, similar and historically linked legal jurisdiction I think we can accept they are indeed a cake.

MrPudding wrote: »
    Warm buttered toast dipped in tea... Mmmm
    Blech!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Biscuits and cakes and the difference.
    Biscuits go soft when they go off
    Cake goes hard
    ergo jaffa cakes are cakes.

And marmite is food of satan and should be banished along with celery.

I believe that matter has been conclusively settled in the UK by the infinite wisdom of Her Majesties Revenue and Customs. Given the persuasive influence of legal decisions in a nearby, similar and historically linked legal jurisdiction I think we can accept they are indeed a cake.

Amazing. Once again the UK can deal with what's a divisive and controversial issue for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Shrap wrote: »
    Although the coffee drinkers are here just as long I reckon, and at least they don't try to tell the tea drinkers what to drink.

BTW, Mr.P, Ew. Just Ew. :confused:
    Blech!

Clearly you have not actually tried this. Typical closed minded atheist. Stop looking at things with your eyes and you brain and start using you blood pumping organ for things other than, you know... pumping blood.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Where's the "couldn't care less because life is meaningless" option? :pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

What is it with religion that they always try to convince everybody else of their thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Boskowski wrote: »
    What is it with religion that they always try to convince everybody else of their thing?

Way to derail the toast thread......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,458 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

My name is Mince Pie and I like to wait till my toast is cold before I butter it.

I'll never forget how disappointed I was as a child when I was offered a mince pie and discovered that they did not contain meat.

Bastard things, they're dangerous too - microwave one too much and it can go on fire. But heat it just a little bit too much and it looks ok - then either falls apart when you try to pick it up, coating your fingers in sticky 200°C sugary muck, or it gets as far as your mouth and coats your tongue in sticky 200°C sugary muck.

They're like the civilian version of throwing boiling sugared water over the suspected nonce in prison.

They taste like crap, too, but people feel obliged to eat them because they're 'seasonal' :rolleyes:

I like most yuletide foods but bastard evil mince pies - just say Noooo.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I'll never forget how disappointed I was as a child when I was offered a mince pie and discovered that they did not contain meat.

Bastard things, they're dangerous too - microwave one too much and it can go on fire. But heat it just a little bit too much and it looks ok - then either falls apart when you try to pick it up, coating your fingers in sticky 200°C sugary muck, or it gets as far as your mouth and coats your tongue in sticky 200°C sugary muck.

They're like the civilian version of throwing boiling sugared water over the suspected nonce in prison.

They taste like crap, too, but people feel obliged to eat them because they're 'seasonal' :rolleyes:

I like most yuletide foods but bastard evil mince pies - just say Noooo.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Amazing. Once again the UK can deal with what's a divisive and controversial issue for Ireland.
    Hmmmm, but to look on the bright side, we can get jaffa cakes without hopping on a plane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,458 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Errr... nothing personal :o

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement