Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice to see this amount of Wind generation.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

http://smartgriddashboard.eirgrid.com/#all

46% of energy coming from wind at this time, just a fraction more than Gas and Coal combined.

This is nice to see and with solar PV could be much higher % from renewable.

Fuel%20Mix.jpg

But it's totally irrelevant as at the start of the week there was 0.6%

fclauson wrote: »
    has this been confirmed - 50% has been around for a long time

(SNSP = Systems non symmetric penetration) i.e. stuff which draws its frequency from the grid rather than provides it too the grid - anything inverter driven

It's a trial that is going on 75% is the long term goal.. We need 5 units on to keep inertia at above 20,000MW or the 50% limit still applies. EWIC counts towards SNSP so 500MW can be attributable to it

Pay foreign companies for fossil fuels or pay foreign companies to harness our wind and charge us, I think I prefer to pay for wind.

We promised cheaper bills at the start of all these wind turbine installations but it hasn't happened and this I am against.
    the infrastructure required for wind is expensive, additional sub stations, distribution and transmission lines, capacity payments to thermal plants. REFIT prices to wind companies. It costs the same to build and commission a sub station for a small wind farm connections at 110kv as it does for a large thermal plant

ted1 wrote: »
    the infrastructure required for wind is expensive, additional sub stations, distribution and transmission lines, capacity payments to thermal plants. REFIT prices to wind companies. It costs the same to build and commission a sub station for a small wind farm connections at 110kv as it does for a large thermal plant

So just burn more cheap coal then ? or Gas ?

We have to start somewhere.

I would like to see a lot more offshore wind farms but I bet this will only add tot he cost.

I would love to have seen more of the wind farms in the control of Irish companies or the Government.

But it's totally irrelevant as at the start of the week there was 0.6%

I was comparing it to the article in June which saw 1.8 GW as the record peak so today must mean a record peak of slightly over 2 GW.

• Advertisement

So just burn more cheap coal then ? or Gas ?

We have to start somewhere.

I would like to see a lot more offshore wind farms but I bet this will only add tot he cost.

I would love to have seen more of the wind farms in the control of Irish companies or the Government.

We started some where but lost the run of ourselves. We have put 2 GW of wind in the grid. As a result prices have gone up and investment firms are making a great return.
    We should have capped the about if wind to 1GW and then added Biomass/ PV/ pumped hydro/ etc

Wind is not the answer, why would the country run it. They are managed by a control centre in Denmark/ Germany. There's a small team involved in servicing them other than that there is noting to do once they are built

I was comparing it to the article in June which saw 1.8 GW as the record peak so today must mean a record peak of slightly over 2 GW.

A bank holiday Monday will have a lower load so not necessarily

A bank holiday Monday will have a lower load so not necessarily

I'm not so sure about that because I'm not seeing more energy consumed or generated that I normally do. Or I don't notice it.

We started some where but lost the run of ourselves. We have put 2 GW of wind in the grid. As a result prices have gone up and investment firms are making a great return.
    We should have capped the about if wind to 1GW and then added Biomass/ PV/ pumped hydro/ etc

Wind is not the answer, why would the country run it. They are managed by a control centre in Denmark/ Germany. There's a small team involved in servicing them other than that there is noting to do once they are built

Look at all the money sent to oil companies what's the difference ? at least wind energy is much cheaper.

I agree we should have a lot more much cheaper Solar PV.

Look at all the money sent to oil companies what's the difference ? at least wind energy is much cheaper.

Wind might be cheaper to convert but the price to the end consumer is higher.
    So all that happens is the investors get rich.
    We need to move away from new wind projects and develop other RES

• Advertisement

Wind might be cheaper to convert but the price to the end consumer is higher.
    So all that happens is the investors get rich.
    We need to move away from new wind projects and develop other RES

Someone's always going to get rich out of it otherwise no one will invest in anything.

We need not necessarily move away from wind but introduce other renewable sources particularly solar PV, Biomass ? depends where the fuel comes from, I'm not a fan of burning anything for fuel or heat.

Not sure hydro works in Ireland or pumped storage ?

Someone's always going to get rich out of it otherwise no one will invest in anything.

We need not necessarily move away from wind but introduce other renewable sources particularly solar PV, Biomass ? depends where the fuel comes from, I'm not a fan of burning anything for fuel or heat.

Not sure hydro works in Ireland or pumped storage ?

When you allow for carbon sequestration biomass such as willow is carbon neutral when burnt.
    How can we continue to add wind farms and other RES. There's a finite load on the grid. If wind makes up a large percentage you still need thermal plants to generate when the wind is down or when the wind is up are you going to curtail the biomass or other RES?

For pumped hydro we could hollow out a mountain or similar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

What money? Oil companies don't get special treatment.

robp wrote: »
    What money? Oil companies don't get special treatment.

Sure they do, look at all the tax they got away with paying for stealing our energy from our reserves that the Government basically gave away !

But even so I would still favour money going to green energy than just continue to the point there are no fossil fuels in 300 years or so and all the crap it does to the environment because what's the real cost when you add the damage to the environment and human health ?

As I said, we got to start somewhere.

Sure they do, look at all the tax they got away with paying for stealing our energy from our reserves that the Government basically gave away !

But even so I would still favour money going to green energy than just continue to the point there are no fossil fuels in 300 years or so and all the crap it does to the environment because what's the real cost when you add the damage to the environment ant human health ?

As I said, we got to start somewhere.

Eh no oil has ever been retrieved in Ireland and none will be for the foreseeable future with oil at rock bottom prices so oil companies haven't been subsidised. Maybe in the US but all business have some levels of subsidises. Renewable also damage the environment though.

robp wrote: »
    Eh no oil has ever been retrieved in Ireland and none will be for the foreseeable future with oil at rock bottom prices. Renewable also damage the environment though.

OIl/ Gas whatever I meant energy.

Renewables are by far the lesser of two evils and Solar PV is much cheaper with minimal impact to the environment.

There is always going to be some impact due to our growing energy demands and in 5 years the huge surge in Data Centre construction will mean 18% more energy needed and this is promised to come from renewable sources this is one of the reasons they will be coming to Ireland but we need to rely less on wind and more on Solar PV.

double post

OIl/ Gas whatever I meant energy.

Renewables are by far the lesser of two evils and Solar PV is much cheaper with minimal impact to the environment.

There is always going to be some impact due to our growing energy demands and in 5 years the huge surge in Data Centre construction will mean 18% more energy needed and this is promised to come from renewable sources this is one of the reasons they will be coming to Ireland but we need to rely less on wind and more on Solar PV.

That is another gov. policy that has passed unquestioned. A lot of investment required with little exchequer return. I would argue turbines are a far greater threat to Irish wildlands than gas and oil has been historically.

[QUOTE=robp;97517201 I would argue turbines are a far greater threat to Irish wildlands than gas and oil has been historically.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely not even close to burning our bogs, an environmental catastrophe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

Absolutely not even close to burning our bogs, an environmental catastrophe.
    You don't think driving bats to extinction would be a "catastrophe"? Because that's what the mainstream environmental left is advocating.

• Advertisement

SeanW wrote: »
    You don't think driving bats to extinction would be a "catastrophe"? Because that's what the mainstream environmental left is advocating.

I don't know if this is true, you can find studies to prove or disprove many things.

If true then it would have to be addressed.

I wonder will we see MSR reactor technology in our lifetime ? L.F.T.R, In China and India they are investing a lot into this technology and compared to current nuclear technology it's simply amazing and the safety aspects are truly great and tiny amounts of waste produced.

Many fossil fuel fans would be completely against burning peat for generating energy too.

Advertisement