Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin has too many traffic lights

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Coat22 wrote: »
    I moved back to Dublin recently and travel 25km cross city twice a day (to D4 so M50 is not an option). The trip home take 1:15 to 1:30 and I was convinced it was just traffic.

If you're traveling from someplace like Swords or Dublin 15 etc and traffic light sequencing upsets you that much, maybe it's time to start getting the bus or train?

Then one Friday I came home and never really got held up anywhere, the result? Still 1:10 of a commute. I too came to conclusion the amount of traffic lights actually makes a straight forward commute a disaster.

Traffic lights are needed for traffic in all conditions, just because there's low traffic some day or you get lucky in your commute, does not mean that all the traffic lights can vanish or go green for you.

The amount of traffic lights is a direct result of trying to push far too many cars in a street network which can't handle them.

Lower Bridge St Pedestrian lights go green (and red for traffic) when the lgiths are red on the quays thus stopping traffic from moving. Simple fix - only let the pedestrian light go green when lights on the quays are green.

The pedestrian lights across the quays end of Bridge Street Lower generally go green at the same time as the quays traffic gets green.

Crossing the Luas (red line) The reason most drivers are running these is because they typically go red for traffic when the light onto the quays goes green so you sit there helplessly (As does traffic on the quays) while the luas passes (or not!) and no traffic avails of the green sequence.

1. Too much traffic

It's a city centre which was never designed to handle half the traffic that is on its streets: radial routes cross and often also intersect with circular routes and this makes sequencing a nightmare.

2. You can't see everything

A tram with a green light can get held up because somebody has blocked the last junction or side street and the traffic lights are also for pedestrians and the area has +/- 10,000 people living per square KM.

3. Public transport priority

The city gives Luas priority because it is a more sustainable, more effective, less noisy and less polluting mode of transport than people driving in their cars.

The city is going to start doing much the same thing for buses.

Plenty of other examples where I've set at red lights and no traffic is coming from either side as the lights are red for this same traffic further on.

And, just as above, there's likely good reasons in most or all cases.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

monument wrote: »
    If you're traveling from someplace like Swords or Dublin 15 etc and traffic light sequencing upsets you that much, maybe it's time to start getting the bus or train?

Traffic lights are needed for traffic in all conditions, just because there's low traffic some day or you get lucky in your commute, does not mean that all the traffic lights can vanish or go green for you.

The amount of traffic lights is a direct result of trying to push far too many cars in a street network which can't handle them.

The pedestrian lights across the quays end of Bridge Street Lower generally go green at the same time as the quays traffic gets green.

1. Too much traffic

It's a city centre which was never designed to handle half the traffic that is on its streets: radial routes cross and often also intersect with circular routes and this makes sequencing a nightmare.

A tram with a green light can get held up because somebody has blocked the last junction or side street and the traffic lights are also for pedestrians and the area has +/- 10,000 people living per square KM.

The city gives Luas priority because it is a more sustainable, more effective, less noisy and less polluting mode of transport than people driving in their cars.

The city is going to start doing much the same thing for buses.

And, just as above, there's likely good reasons in most or all cases.

In another thread, I was told that Luas does not get priority as it would cause traffic hold ups. I have also sat in a Luas for 5 mins at a red light between Museum and Heuston, so, no, they do not have priority - but they should have.
    However, I think they should.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

In another thread, I was told that Luas does not get priority as it would cause traffic hold ups. I have also sat in a Luas for 5 mins at a red light between Museum and Heuston, so, no, they do not have priority - but they should have.
    However, I think they should.

Trams have a level of priority, although not full priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

If you're traveling from someplace like Swords or Dublin 15 etc and traffic light sequencing upsets you that much, maybe it's time to start getting the bus or train?.

I'm travelling in from Meath. Despite the fact that I live within 1.5km of 2 train stations and there is a dart station 5 minutes walk from work the trip would entail 2 changes each way and a minimum (assuming everything runs on time) 1:15 trip so nothing to be gained by getting the train. So at the very best I could match my commute by taking the train.
    Traffic lights are needed for traffic in all conditions, just because there's low traffic some day or you get lucky in your commute, does not mean that all the traffic lights can vanish or go green for you..

Not sure where I said this wasn't the case. My point was the commute doesn't seem that much affected by the volume of traffic, more the number of junctions where lights cause delays.

Absolutely wrong. I've travelled this route for over 15 years and ask any driver who does the same. The pedestrian lights at Bridge St. are completely independent of the traffic signals leading to reds for cars when cross Liffey traffic is on green.

1. Too much traffic

I am aware of the Luas priority theory but that's not how to solve the issue at Blackhall Place and Queen St. Surely the way to fix it is to sequence the lights on the quays such that if its red for traffic crossing the Luas line ten feet away its also red for traffic coming onto the quays. This means traffic on the quays is not stopped at an unnecessary red where no traffic is coming from the side street and traffic on Blackhall Place / Queen St does not miss a merging opportunity while sitting waiting on a Luas to cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I agree about left on red and also they should do the same as in the uk, the light goes amber before green, most people are then ready to move off...

ultimately the roads cant handle the traffic here, the only solution is proper rail based transport, that those IDIOTS have put back years by going for a new MN design and same with DU. A proper heavy north - south line is desperately needed, is holding up MN for another 5 years worth the mickey mouse money it will save?! If things have gotten this bad again, so fast, what in gods name will it be like when these projects commence, never mind get completed!!! :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement