Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dispensing 'Error' by Pharmacy

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

baifree wrote: »
    Yes. I didnt choose to query alternatives.
    My bad.
    I feel sorry i didnt. You right there...

Why should i look for alternatives?...
    I do believe the medical staff swear to the some kind of conduct of honor... they should provide me with best solution to treat the illness...chemically or money wise.....or money wise is not in their jurisdiction?

Seriously have you read the posts on here suspecting that you have been given the wrong dosage levels by the doctor?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 baifree

The curious question is why you are more worried about the cost of the drug than the fact your daughter is getting a potential underdose of her medication?

if i would know the dose is incorrect, i would break them(doctor and pharmacist) in half and eat them:)...how would i know... and how can i challenge them on my opinion?...i am not qualified for pharmaceutical issues...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

if i would know the dose is incorrect, i would break them(doctor and pharmacist) in half and eat them:)...how would i know... and how can i challenge them on my opinion?...i am not qualified for pharmaceutical issues...

All the information you need has been posted here if you read back over the thread. The dosage for a child is ml/weight, what dosage you have posted is for a 4kg child, your child is nearly ten times that.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

Ring them and say that you were told it was x amount per KG and you worked it out and it doesn't seem to match the dosage you were given for her. If they get sh1tty with you, find a new doctor, most should be happen to recheck their calculations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You go back to your doctor and question them. The danger of under dosing are serious for your daughter as it can strengthen the bacteria instead of killing it.

You could of course ask the pharmacist to check.

• Advertisement

Did they write on the prescription what the dosage was, or did you work it out yourself?

You go back to your doctor and question them. The danger of under dosing are serious for your daughter as it can strengthen the bacteria instead of killing it.

Yep, those little feckers will try to build up a resistance if they only have a little bit of the medication, a bit like why we get vaccinations...I think

You could of course ask the pharmacist to check.

i went to doctor with the issue...she got the book and check the medication i ve got...levels of concentration and volume of dose...everything is checked out correctly...i cant blame people for something what is in the health system establishment... but i can blame people for not checking it..and not advising me for better solution.

i went to doctor with the issue...she got the book and check the medication i ve got...levels of concentration and volume of dose...everything is checked out correctly...i cant blame people for something what is in the health system establishment... but i can blame people for not checking it..and not advising me for better solution.

Blame whoever you want as long as you double check and make sure your daughter is being given the correct dose. If a mistake has been made, deal with it afterwards.

Google the drug name and recommended dosage, it's in kilos per mg for your child.

Print out the origianal dosage information

Go back to the pharmacist with that informatino and say my child weighs 30kg, is this the right dosage?

Pharmacist will answer yes or no.

Take information from pharmacist to doctor.

Note: it's the mg strength not the ml strength that's important here.

• Advertisement

SillyBeans wrote: »
    Did they write on the prescription what the dosage was, or did you work it out yourself?

prescription clime form was on doctors receipt..with drug code, quantity dispensed, and the cost. Cant put it out online now as the issue still debatable and not grabbing straight justice court case......

prescription clime form was on doctors receipt..with drug code, quantity dispensed, and the cost. Cant put it out online now as the issue still debatable and not grabbing straight justice court case......

the dose was calculated by pharmacy...

but you already posted the dosage you are giving which going by official guidelines, appears to be ten time less than what it should be.

Could you read back through the thread and find those relevant posts to give you better understanding?

It appears your child is not getting the right dosage at all?

the dose was calculated by pharmacy...
    Pharmacists aren't infallible!

Those decimal points will get ya!

Stheno wrote: »
    Google the drug name and recommended dosage, it's in kilos per mg for your child.

Print out the origianal dosage information

Go back to the pharmacist with that informatino and say my child weighs 30kg, is this the right dosage?

Pharmacist will answer yes or no.

Take information from pharmacist to doctor.

Note: it's the mg strength not the ml strength that's important here.

DONE THAT. ALL GOOD(dosage) ACCORDING TO DOCTOR WHO CALLED TO PHARMACIST, RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF MY VISIT...I WITNESSED IT(OVERHEARD AND PRESUMABLY UNDERSTOOD)...at the end doctor told me to ask pharmacist why did i get this total amount of suspension?....that's where the issue coming from...product of supply is correct ,by the quantity is not...and it seems to be 'OK' with most of the participants in this forum...

On the flip side they can be a serious good friend of a customer. Our favourite pharmacy has two branches, one small one in a local supermarket, the other in a giant shopping centre. They readily work together, tell one branch that you've been dealing with the other and they hold the information they need and they will check it for you.

They are also fantastic if you are on a repeat prescription and run out.

I've also had the experience of being prescribed expensive drugs by my doctor, and my local pharmacist will ring them to discuss a generic alternative.

I've nothing but admiration for most pharmacists I've dealt with here, but am wondering if the doctor made a mistake, if because the child being treated wasn't present to get the script etc that a genuine mistake hasn't been made here or a script misread?

On the flip side they can be a serious good friend of a customer. Our favourite pharmacy has two branches, one small one in a local supermarket, the other in a giant shopping centre. They readily work together, tell one branch that you've been dealing with the other and they hold the information they need and they will check it for you.

They are also fantastic if you are on a repeat prescription and run out.

I've also had the experience of being prescribed expensive drugs by my doctor, and my local pharmacist will ring them to discuss a generic alternative.

I've nothing but admiration for most pharmacists I've dealt with here, but am wondering if the doctor made a mistake, if because the child being treated wasn't present to get the script etc that a genuine mistake hasn't been made here or a script misread?

THEY DIDNT.

THEY DIDNT.
    Question it?

SillyBeans wrote: »
    Those decimal points will get ya!

METRIC MEASURE is not that complicated... drug dose was prescribed for child weight and age ...but the quantity of dispense was 17 times more...why?

• Advertisement

Question it?

i will question it next time for sure.

Why didn't they question it at the start?...is it not allowed?..is it not in practice? is it normal to push prescribed medications over limit?

i don't have or obliged to ask myself this questions...but i ve presumed Pharmacy should have..

for example:-nobody will dipence 200g class 'A' drugs that easy...why not?..cos its dangerous...in my case it is as lethal as a class 'A' for a child,so why was it ok do dispense it?

they do their best, but in some cases it is not in favorable to people/or customers.

.but the quantity of dispense was 17 times more...why?

This has already been explained to you numerous times now :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

bailfree you seem to be going around in circles since the start of this thread. You can of course check with your doctor if there is a cheaper alternative to be prescribed than what they intend on prescribing, same if there were known side effects to be avoided or ingredients that cause an allergic reaction. Nobody but your doctor knows why they prescribed that specific medicine. A pharmacist would dispense what is on the prescription in whatever format it comes. Even if they are having to provide you with a product that is from a manufacturer, a pharmacist has no control over the packaging and volume it comes in. They are not going to ring up every GP and check that what is written on the prescription is correct or not, however, if there was an obvious mistake they may question it e.g. a large quantity or a excessive high dose of something that would be outside the norm.

Your issue here isn't your child's health which many seem to be concerned about especially re the dosage. If you are unhappy with your child's health re no sign of improvement perhaps you and your daughter should seek further medical advice from your doctor upon the doctor's examination or contact your doctor further if you have concerns.

However your main issue you come back to is the product size, cost, packaging and trying to blame the pharmacy - I'd also agree that the thread title is wrong as there was no error on behalf of the pharmacy. What you really ought to be doing is getting the leaflet and product information from the product you did purchase and get into contact with the manufacturer and put it to them why they charge so much for a 200ml bottle and why you cannot get it in smaller quantities. Perhaps you should even register a complaint directly with the manufacturer by directly contacting them.

You have to remember that it is not the pharmacy who make up the product and they have no control over what way it is packaged, even if they have expressed issue over size and cost in the past for all any of us know.

But if you have a real issue with paying over €100 for a 200ml bottle which you only need 12ml because that is the only size the product comes in, then you really should be making a direct complaint to the manufacturer of the product. Google "how to make a complaint" but I also recall bbc's watchdog used to have excellent resources for going about making a formal complaint on a product.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

but the quantity of dispense was 17 times more...why?

Because there isn't a smaller pack. As you've been told repeatedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The wrong dosage appears to be the root cause of the issue. Now, we don't know the details nor any other medicines the OP's daughter is taking but there's a serious whiff of wrong decimal point about this story.

OP, I'd suggest getting a second opinion from another doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Medicine calls NITROFURANTOIN. Is there alternative?-most likely, but i am not a doctor or pharmacist to identify one.

The suspension is expensive, the tablets are cheap to the best of my knowledge!! why don't you just get the tablets????

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The suspension is expensive, the tablets are cheap to the best of my knowledge!! why don't you just get the tablets????

Patient is a child, can only assume a preference for suspension. The tablets are much, much cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - Please do not post medical advice here on Boards. There have been several posts here that could be construed as such, and I have attempted to remove the more descriptive posts, while still allowing concerns to be expressed.

dudara

Advertisement