Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dispensing 'Error' by Pharmacy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 baifree

The fact that its for daughter is why a liquid suspension was prescribed instead of a tablet/powder form.

I understand that you are annoyed but who do you think is responsible for the rip off?

Your doctor for poor prescribing? Your pharmacy for not alerting you that so much was wasted? The pharmaceutical distributor for not dispensing smaller containers? You for failing to find the right pharmacy where this would not be a special order?

A mixture of the above perhaps?

Your doctor for poor prescribing?--not all, the med are correct.

Your pharmacy for not alerting you that so much was wasted?--yes.

I can understand this is frustrating however as everyone else pretty much agrees it's not a rip off. Next time should this arise again (hopefully it won't) ask the gp for a different antibiotic. Also ask the pharmacist how much something will be if it's a new item that you're not aware of
    Lesson learned.

Describe the definition of rip-off?
    on my opinion its when you pay for some product, have not been told of dimensions or quantity of it, and got into financial loss after the purchase.
    You buy a dress for barbie-doll, and they pack and charge you for a dress for your wife...dress is a dress, is't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

baifree wrote: »
    Lesson learned.

Describe the definition of rip-off?
    on my opinion its when you pay for some product, have not been told of dimensions or quantity of it, and got into financial loss after the purchase.
    You buy a dress for barbie-doll, and they pack and charge you for a dress for your wife...dress is a dress, is't it?

I don't think it is sinking in, though you only need 12mls, it only comes in 200mls so either you pay for the 200mls or you don't buy it at all. The pharmacist is not going to charge you 7% of the cost of buying it and then tip the rest down the sink. As this drug is prescribed based on body size, your daughter is very small to need that dosage, most of the people who this would be prescribed for would be bigger so manufacturers package it in larger volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

You're really failing to grasp the point. If your daughter had a temperature and you bought a bottle of Calpol for her (let's say that's 200ml, I'm not sure) but she only needs to take it twice before her symptoms resolve, would you feel you were ripped off? This is the same thing just more expensive. The medication only comes in 200ml bottles. You need less than the minimum volume available to buy, it's just one of those things. It happens every day for different products. You want to make a fancy meal and you need special oil, you buy a bottle but only need a spoonful. What a rip off! You need to touch up some paint on the wall. You buy a tub but only need a quarter of it. Outrageous.

All that said, over 100 euros for an antibiotic seems a bit on the expensive side. I've had that antibiotic before in tablet form and don't remember it being so expensive. Anyway, moral of the story is ask how much something will be before you commit to buying it and if it's too expensive ask for alternatives (eg buying paracetamol instead of Panadol). For antibiotics in particular there's almost always an alternative, this one caused horrible side effects in me so they swapped me to another one without any hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Hope your daughter gets better soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Your doctor for poor prescribing?--not all, the med are correct.

I'm asking what the OP thinks, however its possible that the doctor is aware from having prescribed the drug previously what logistical challenges the patient may face in obtaining the drug.

My doctor is in the same shopping centre as a pharmacy and he knows if the pharmacy stocks the drug he is prescribing as a matter of course or if the patient will have to go to another pharmacy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I do understand your frustration op. Trying to think of a solution for you.

The dose seems very low - is your daughter an infant??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

i went into centra this evening. I only wanted a square of chocolate but they made me buy the whole bar.

This rip off seems to be spreading.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

baifree wrote:
    Pharmacist should not,as a business, loose money at all. God prosper the Pharmacy who keep us alive and happy, in fact.

God apparently prospers pharmaceutical manufacturers.

What if you had said to the pharmacy that you only want to pay for the amount you require but the pharmacy said, I can only supply the larger amount, would you have simply walked away? Or do you think you are entitled to make the pharmacy cover the loss from not being able to sell the excess?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

New thread title require because there is quite clearly no 'error' from the pharmacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

New thread title require because there is quite clearly no 'error' from the pharmacy.

Communication issue between consumer and pharmacy, and post purchase annoyance may be more appropriate.

Technically, you are correct, there is no 'error'... Pharmacy provided good product in good time...the issue here is why is there no less volume of this drug?... is it a system 'error' ...or "normal" regular supply?...why cant they make it in smaller dose....for children?..the reason is clear- to make a profit. Now it comes not directly to the producing company, but to the receiving party who doesn't ask the questions?...i.e..Pharmacy!

What if you had said to the pharmacy that you only want to pay for the amount you require but the pharmacy said, I can only supply the larger amount, would you have simply walked away? Or do you think you are entitled to make the pharmacy cover the loss from not being able to sell the excess?

What if you had said to the pharmacy that you only want to pay for the amount you require but the pharmacy said, I can only supply the larger amount, would you have simply walked away?
    YES

What if you had said to the pharmacy that you only want to pay for the amount you require but the pharmacy said, I can only supply the larger amount, would you have simply walked away?
    YES

SillyBeans wrote: »
    You're really failing to grasp the point. If your daughter had a temperature and you bought a bottle of Calpol for her (let's say that's 200ml, I'm not sure) but she only needs to take it twice before her symptoms resolve, would you feel you were ripped off? This is the same thing just more expensive. The medication only comes in 200ml bottles. You need less than the minimum volume available to buy, it's just one of those things. It happens every day for different products. You want to make a fancy meal and you need special oil, you buy a bottle but only need a spoonful. What a rip off! You need to touch up some paint on the wall. You buy a tub but only need a quarter of it. Outrageous.

All that said, over 100 euros for an antibiotic seems a bit on the expensive side. I've had that antibiotic before in tablet form and don't remember it being so expensive. Anyway, moral of the story is ask how much something will be before you commit to buying it and if it's too expensive ask for alternatives (eg buying paracetamol instead of Panadol). For antibiotics in particular there's almost always an alternative, this one caused horrible side effects in me so they swapped me to another one without any hassle.

If your daughter had a temperature and you bought a bottle of Calpol for her?
    shelf life for Calpol is at least 2 years...it is assurance for next outbreak...in current medication i talk about it is not there, as it has 20 days of expiry!...

You need to touch up some paint on the wall. You buy a tub but only need a quarter of it
    have you buy a tube when you need a quarter of it ? and be happy after ?

amdublin wrote: »
    I do understand your frustration op. Trying to think of a solution for you.

The dose seems very low - is your daughter an infant??

That would be wonderful to actually observe an a suggestion..thank you...although the solution will digg you deep into system of 'legal' drug supply and distribution... any outcome have to be located in proper ordrer...its a big deal in a right hands to get things right...

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Queenalocin

The suspension you got, nitrofursntoin, is unlicensed in Ireland. This means that it is going to be expensive because it has to be ordered in especially for you. It isn't a standard stock item and doesn't tend to be prescribed all that often.
    It is not the same as the standard antibiotics like Augmentin, Klacid etc hence the unusual dose. This means that sourcing an alternative is not going to be possible.
    You have to pay for the full bottle but if you have a DPS card, then the rest of your medicines for this month won't go over €144 and if you don't have one then claim it against your tax next January.
    I don't think the title of your thread, pharmacy error is correct. You were told the medicine was going to be expensive, your daughter is unwell, she got the right medicine and hopefully, and most importantly, is now on the mend!

If your daughter had a temperature and you bought a bottle of Calpol for her?
    shelf life for Calpol is at least 2 years...it is assurance for next outbreak...in current medication i talk about it is not there, as it has 20 days of expiry!...

You need to touch up some paint on the wall. You buy a tub but only need a quarter of it
    have you buy a tube when you need a quarter of it ? and be happy after ?

I give up. You're stubbornly refusing to listen to reason.

Edit: to answer your question, yes I have bought tubs (I assume that's what you meant when you typed tube?) when I've only needed a little. An example being when I painted a room in my house recently. I needed slightly more than 2 tubs of paint so had to buy three. They didn't have any tester pots in that colour as I had it specially mixed up. It's not something I blamed the shop for. I chose that colour. I checked the price before committing to the sale, I'm not going to moan about it afterwards.

I am a pharmacist. What is the medication? What age is your child? What is the indication?

What is the medication? ---NITROFURANTOIN SUSPENSION
    What age is your child?---8 YEARS
    What is the indication?---25milligrams in 5 ml, sugar free,, 200ml.(as much as i can understand indication)..
    Curious as it seems odd dosing unless your child is a neonate.----she is 8 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I presume it is a urinary tract infection. <SNIP>

That's my feeling as well.
    OP you need to talk to your doctor again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'd be double checking the dose with the doctor OP, 0.6 mL sounds off. How are you measuring it? With a dropper?

I undeestand your reason....there is a standards of product production and packaging...there is the law to regulate concentration of different substances in this this volume of product.

its all good.

The question is- why cant make less of the size? and why pharmacy dont ask for less of the size? ... that's the point in this discussion

TheChizler wrote: »
    I'd be double checking the dose with the doctor OP, 0.6 mL sounds off. How are you measuring it? With a dropper?

2 ml syringe

I undeestand your reason....there is a standards of product production and packaging...there is the law to regulate concentration of different substances in this this volume of product.

its all good.

The question is- why cant make less of the size? and why pharmacy dont ask for less of the size? ... that's the point in this discussion

Because it's obviously not financially viable for them! Your dosage seems to be so small, it'd probably cost more to transport and store it in a bottle than they'd make from the sale!

2 ml syringe

And it's definitely 0.6, not 6ml?

Edit: to answer your question, yes I have bought tubs (I assume that's what you meant when you typed tube?) when I've only needed a little. An example being when I painted a room in my house recently. I needed slightly more than 2 tubs of paint so had to buy three. They didn't have any tester pots in that colour as I had it specially mixed up. It's not something I blamed the shop for. I chose that colour. I checked the price before committing to the sale, I'm not going to moan about it afterwards.

I chose that color
    in all due to respect...i dint choose that 'color'...i ve been prescribed to it! and i didnt know what it is!

I chose that color
    in all due to respect...i dint choose that 'color'...i ve been prescribed to it! and i didnt know what it is!

I also said I checked the price first. You may not have chosen that medication but you chose not to query the alternatives.

The suspension you got, nitrofursntoin, is unlicensed in Ireland. This means that it is going to be expensive because it has to be ordered in especially for you. It isn't a standard stock item and doesn't tend to be prescribed all that often.
    It is not the same as the standard antibiotics like Augmentin, Klacid etc hence the unusual dose. This means that sourcing an alternative is not going to be possible.
    You have to pay for the full bottle but if you have a DPS card, then the rest of your medicines for this month won't go over €144 and if you don't have one then claim it against your tax next January.
    I don't think the title of your thread, pharmacy error is correct. You were told the medicine was going to be expensive, your daughter is unwell, she got the right medicine and hopefully, and most importantly, is now on the mend!
    The suspension you got, nitrofursntoin, is unlicensed in Ireland.
    is any cheaper licensed alternatives / or pharmaceuticals in Ireland are a bit 'slow' to catch up? that's the curiosity question..

The suspension you got, nitrofursntoin, is unlicensed in Ireland.
    is any cheaper licensed alternatives / or pharmaceuticals in Ireland are a bit 'slow' to catch up? that's the curiosity question..

The curious question is why you are more worried about the cost of the drug than the fact your daughter is getting a potential underdose of her medication?

• Advertisement

I also said I checked the price first. You may not have chosen that medication but you chose not to query the alternatives.

Yes. I didnt choose to query alternatives.
    My bad.
    I feel sorry i didnt. You right there...

Why should i look for alternatives?...
    I do believe the medical staff swear to the some kind of conduct of honor... they should provide me with best solution to treat the illness...chemically or money wise.....or money wise is not in their jurisdiction?

Advertisement