Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pick your Lions team

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭RuMan

That's true, 4 countries against one? Fairly ridiculous! Inferiority complex straight away!

Northern hemisphere versus southern, now that's something I'd get excited by!

1 Lions series win in 11 against NZ is appalling. Look at England, went over there and beat them on their own patch and then took the WC the summer after. That's what we need to aim for. Other then in WC years Ireland should be heading over to NZ/SA in the summer not wasting our time with glorified exhibition games.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Barbaric Gentleman

Relax lads, it's a novelty tour. Don't take it too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I was trying to pick a team myself but looking at the age profiles of a lot of the forwards it's quite difficult. That said... I have just this minute realised I'm thinking World Cup 4 years wise, not Lions a little under 2 years away.

I shall return!

EDIT:
    Right! This is my Lions team, although the forwards are completely open for criticism, Cole is just there because I genuinely couldn't think of anyone else. Same for Ford really, there's a serious age issue among the home nations in certain positions.

Cole
    Ford
    McGrath
    Launchbury
    Henderson
    Burgess
    Warburton
    Falatau

Murray

Ford

Slade---Henshaw
    North
    Nowell
    Ford is an awful rugby player. Complete waste of a shirt. The hooker of course. Scotland would have been better off if he had been suspended.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Richardt Strauss could well be our best option if he stays fit. Before his heart issue for Leinster he was exceptional and we're starting to see some of that from him again this year.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

jacothelad wrote: »
    Ford is an awful rugby player. Complete waste of a shirt. The hooker of course. Scotland would have been better off if he had been suspended.

Quite a few of the forwards there were just to fill spots. Interestingly, looking at the squad lists for all 4 home nations there's a major issue with age in certain positions. We all need to start bringing in new blood. Scotland's whole team has an age issue, bar maybe 4 positions.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

What does Conor Murray bring to the table?
    Why do you think he is a good scrum half?

For people who rate him why?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,740 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

kidneyfan wrote: »
    What does Conor Murray bring to the table?
    Why do you think he is a good scrum half?

For people who rate him why?

Good passer. Great kicker. Always a threat from the base of a ruck. Much quicker than the breakdown than he used to be. Very solid tackler for a SH.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Good passer. Great kicker. Always a threat from the base of a ruck. Much quicker than the breakdown than he used to be. Very solid tackler for a SH.
    I certainly agree that he is very good defensively and he is fast. He doesn't look to me like a natural scrum half.

I certainly agree that he is very good defensively and he is fast. He doesn't look to me like a natural scrum half.

You don't need to be small to be a scrum half. When he came on the scene his passing wasn't great and he was a bit ponderous. He's much better now though. Young is probably the only lions eligible scrum half I'd have before him.

You don't need to be small to be a scrum half. When he came on the scene his passing wasn't great and he was a bit ponderous. He's much better now though. Young is probably the only lions eligible scrum half I'd have before him.
    Do you really think he's better than Laidlaw?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Ford for fly half

Do you really think he's better than Laidlaw?

I'm actually a big Laidlaw fan. Probably should have included him too. Although I know he gets a bit of derision around these parts for being slow. I'd think Murray is more solid.

I'm actually a big Laidlaw fan. Probably should have included him too. Although I know he gets a bit of derision around these parts for being slow. I'd think Murray is more solid.
    when I say Murray is fast I mean his turn of foot not his crispness at the base of the ruck. though I have heard a few people say that maybe it is the quality of ball that he is getting that is the issue not his speed of passing.
    What about a special invite to Tanaka for scrum half - best in northern hemisphere at the moment.

RuMan wrote: »
    1 Lions series win in 11 against NZ is appalling. Look at England, went over there and beat them on their own patch and then took the WC the summer after. That's what we need to aim for. Other then in WC years Ireland should be heading over to NZ/SA in the summer not wasting our time with glorified exhibition games.
    It's just a pissup and a free holiday for the players. The southern hemisphere countries like it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

North, Brown, Watson
    Joseph, Henshaw
    Sexton, Webb
    Armitage, Warburton, O'Brien
    Wyne-Jones, Lawes
    No outstanding Candidate, Best, McGrath

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

North, Brown, Watson
    Joseph, Henshaw
    Sexton, Webb
    Armitage, Warburton, O'Brien
    Wyne-Jones, Lawes
    No outstanding Candidate, Best, McGrath

I kind of like the look of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Armitage should be a lock surely. Know he doesn't get picked for England but we all know he's good enough

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

titan18 wrote: »
    Armitage should be a lock surely. Know he doesn't get picked for England but we all know he's good enough

He's a bit short for the second row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dolamite

Heres my NZ team for 2017

1. Moody
    2. Coles
    3. Franks
    4. Retallick
    5. Whitelock
    6. Ioane
    7. Cane/Savea
    8. Read
    9. Smith
    10. Cruden
    11. Savea
    12. SBW
    13. Fekitoa
    14. NMS
    15. B. Smith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭jacothelad

titan18 wrote: »

He's a dwarf in second row terms. As for Lawes, show pony best describes him. Great at the late hits on small guys but is not outstanding in any other regard. There are far better second rows than him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

He's a bit short for the second row.

He probably means a lock in for the team. :D

Advertisement