Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pick your Lions team

Options
  • 18-10-2015 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭

I know it's almost two years away, but with the world cup over for the home-nations, I thought it might be good to assess where we are at. I know it's hard to predict where things will be in two years, but why not have a go.

I'm discounting the likes of Best, Ross etc because they are likely to be retired come 2017.

Brown (Eng)

Watson (Eng)
    North (Wal)

Joseph (Eng)---Henshaw (Ire)

Sexton (Ire)
    Murray (Ire)

Warburton (Wal)
    Falateau (Wal)
    O'Brien (Ire)

Launchbury (Eng)
    Henderson (Ire)

Cole (Eng)
    Youngs (Eng)
    Healy/McGrath (Ire)

A little Ireland/England-centric perhaps. AW Jones, Webb, Davies, Roberts, Halfpenny, Lydiate & Tipuric all would be close. Scotland have a lot of good young players too, and I'm sure several will make the squad and push for a test pick.

Most importantly, is this a team that could compete with the All-Blacks?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Brown, Watson, North, Davies, Henshaw, Biggar, Webb

McGrath, Baldwin, Cole, J Gray, Henderson, SOB, Warburton, Faletau

• Registered Users Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭phog

Who's the coach?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭stadedublinois

phog wrote: »
    Who's the coach?

Saint-André is free ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Forgive my ignorance but how many players are in the Lions squad and is there a specific division of backs/forwards or indeed specific positions?

EDIT: I've just realised you're just doing starting 15 so none of the above matters.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Forgive my ignorance but how many players are in the Lions squad and is there a specific division of backs/forwards or indeed specific positions?

EDIT: I've just realised you're just doing starting 15 so none of the above matters.

depends on the coaches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tmc1963

I know it's almost two years away, but with the world cup over for the home-nations, I thought it might be good to assess where we are at. I know it's hard to predict where things will be in two years, but why not have a go.

I'm discounting the likes of Best, Ross etc because they are likely to be retired come 2017.

Brown (Eng)

Watson (Eng)
    North (Wal)

Sexton (Ire)
    Murray (Ire)

Warburton (Wal)
    Falateau (Wal)
    O'Brien (Ire)

Launchbury (Eng)
    Henderson (Ire)

Cole (Eng)
    Youngs (Eng)
    Healy/McGrath (Ire)

A little Ireland/England-centric perhaps. AW Jones, Webb, Davies, Roberts, Halfpenny, Lydiate & Tipuric all would be close. Scotland have a lot of good young players too, and I'm sure several will make the squad and push for a test pick.

That would be a good team if you want a bottlers/failures mix

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Brown (Eng)

Watson (Eng)
    North (Wal)

Sexton (Ire)
    Murray (Ire)

Warburton (Wal)
    Falateau (Wal)
    O'Brien (Ire)

Launchbury (Eng)
    Henderson (Ire)

Cole (Eng)
    Youngs (Eng)
    Healy/McGrath (Ire)

I'd take Halfpenny over Brown, probably Liam Williams or Zebo/ Fitz over Watson. Have Davies or Scott William in for Joseph if on form. AWJ over Launchbury all day long. Wouldn't guaranteed Sexton over Biggar on current form tbh.

NZ would muller them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 acemaster

Saint-André is free ;)
    nice

Brown (Eng)

Watson (Eng)
    North (Wal)

Sexton (Ire)
    Murray (Ire)

Warburton (Wal)
    Falateau (Wal)
    O'Brien (Ire)

Launchbury (Eng)
    Henderson (Ire)

Cole (Eng)
    Youngs (Eng)
    Healy/McGrath (Ire)

I think the back row could compete, and maybe sexton if he doesn't bottle it at crunch time! But aside from that it could be the most crushing lions tour ever. Scrum would get destroyed, lineout hammered, complete destruction in the centers. The press will get on the 'scrap the lions' bandwagon again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭OldRio

IMHO they should scrap the Lions. It's well past it's sell by date. Nothing but a money making racket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I think the back row could compete, and maybe sexton if he doesn't bottle it at crunch time! But aside from that it could be the most crushing lions tour ever. Scrum would get destroyed, lineout hammered, complete destruction in the centers. The press will get on the 'scrap the lions' bandwagon again.

Really doubt the scrum or lineout would be hammered against NZ. Lots of good 2nd row options - Lawes, Launchbury, AWJ, Toner, Henderson, Gray, Gray . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

OldRio wrote: »
    IMHO they should scrap the Lions. It's well past it's sell by date. Nothing but a money making racket.

Isn't all professional rugby just a money making racket?

As long as the fans enjoy it and the players buy into it it'll continue to be relevant. I can't see that changing before the next tour.

Really doubt the scrum or lineout would be hammered against NZ. Lots of good 2nd row options - Lawes, Launchbury, AWJ, Toner, Henderson, Gray, Gray . . .

Well I was going by the team the OP had picked. Henderson is not quite big enough. The front row picked are all decent front row players but none of them can scrummage at the highest level if you ask me. Dan Cole got destroyed this world cup, Healy maybe im doing him a disservice and Im bitter because of yesterday but he got fairly hammered. Youngs has nothing for the scrum.

The big second row options lack ball skills, and offloading skills - or maybe that is down to the coaching these days I dont know, but I dont see them on the same level at all as the current kiwi guys.
    Warburton Faletau and O'Brien to me are the only world class forwards available. Although Best is pretty close to that standard at hooker since he got his throwing together. He also puts in hits and is mobile and great at the breakdown. I look at the kiwi pack and its so mobile and skillful and fit.

Its really going to be down to the coaches to change things up for the northern hemisphere and improve our game in the period before the lions if we are to have any chance. God if Gatland is the coach I might go into hibernation for the length of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

I'd imagine it will be someone with international experience but I think Gregor Townsend would be a good choice for coach

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I love the Lions , but, in this era of professional rugby and the Home Nations failure at this WC , the idea that 4 teams have to combine to beat a SH , may not be best way to develop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

God that's a depressing team. Here's hoping there's a few breakthroughs in the mean time.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,276 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Youngs wouldnt be anywhere near a Lions team if selected today.. hed probably be 5th choice SH behind

Best, Hartly, Baldwin, Ford

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Well I was going by the team the OP had picked. Henderson is not quite big enough.

Do you actually know what size he is? 6'6" and 19 stones+. Not quite big enough? Who bigger should take his place?

jacothelad wrote: »
    Do you actually know what size he is? 6'6" and 19 stones+. Not quite big enough? Who bigger should take his place?

Thought he was 6"4. But he doesn't seem dominant lineout material to me. Im not saying anyone should take his place, I just don't think we have the players to beat the kiwis amongst the home nations. This could be just because the NH have been coached to play in a certain way which has been badly shown up in the WC, or it could be they don't have the ability. I don't know at this stage.

I was trying to pick a team myself but looking at the age profiles of a lot of the forwards it's quite difficult. That said... I have just this minute realised I'm thinking World Cup 4 years wise, not Lions a little under 2 years away.

I shall return!

EDIT:
    Right! This is my Lions team, although the forwards are completely open for criticism, Cole is just there because I genuinely couldn't think of anyone else. Same for Ford really, there's a serious age issue among the home nations in certain positions.

Cole
    Ford
    McGrath
    Launchbury
    Henderson
    Burgess
    Warburton
    Falatau

Murray

Ford

Slade---Henshaw
    North
    Nowell

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Cole and Healy are beaten dockets I reckon. There must be some English props ready to step up. If not what on earth are they doing?

Samson Lee seems the best prospect of the current crop but further changes to scrum laws may change that again.

Launchbury should be making a second row spot his. I'm not sure about Henderson but there aren't many great locks coming through that I can see. Johnny Gray, perhaps.

If Ben Morgan stays fit he could be a very good #8, as long as he can out perform Vunipola, though I find the latter a grimly one-dimensional player. Tipuric may one day be recognised as the most rounded back-rower in the islands. Blindside is a toss-up between a number of very similar players currently filling the ranks.

Webb should be the starting SH by then. Biggar, Ford, Sexton, Slade - you could make a case for them all I suppose, depending on how they go over the next seasons. I have a feeling Sexton migh not have too long of a career left.

North is a similar case and his impact has been lessening of late. Watson, Nowell, Zebo and the like if we want to go play some fancy stuff, otherwise a pair of safety-first wingers. Brown for the moment should be nailed on at 15. McCloskey and Slade at centre, for no good reason other than I like the cuts of their respective jibs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

To answer the OP's question- no- that team could not compete with the AB (at this moment in time at least and wouldn't be too confident about 2017 either).

But I am unable to offer any better combinations so what not- throw them to the lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lunarhog

Ok, here goes my form team from the tournament as it stands

McGrath
    Strauss
    Nel
    Gray
    Toner
    Lydiate
    Denton
    SOB
    Laidlaw
    Biggar
    Bennett
    Henshaw
    Watson
    L.Williams
    Brown

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lunarhog

I was trying to pick a team myself but looking at the age profiles of a lot of the forwards it's quite difficult. That said... I have just this minute realised I'm thinking World Cup 4 years wise, not Lions a little under 2 years away.

I shall return!

EDIT:
    Right! This is my Lions team, although the forwards are completely open for criticism, Cole is just there because I genuinely couldn't think of anyone else. Same for Ford really, there's a serious age issue among the home nations in certain positions.

Cole
    Ford
    McGrath
    Launchbury
    Henderson
    Burgess
    Warburton
    Falatau

Murray

Ford

Slade---Henshaw
    North
    Nowell

Interesting experimental 14 man lineup there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

lunarhog wrote: »

Going in without a no. 10 is brave...go on you maverick thing you...:D

lunarhog wrote: »
    Going in without a no. 10 is brave...go on you maverick thing you...:D

I have a 10, thank you very much! It's a FB I forgot and funnily enough he was the first player I thought of as a definite. Mike Brown at FB, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 bobob

McGrath Owens Lee
    Awj Henderson
    Sob falatau Warburton
    Murray biggar
    Roberts Davies
    North halfpenny
    Brown

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

bobob wrote: »
    McGrath Owens Lee
    Awj Henderson
    Sob falatau Warburton
    Murray biggar
    Roberts Davies
    North halfpenny
    Brown

Cheers warren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭RuMan

thebaz wrote: »
    I love the Lions , but, in this era of professional rugby and the Home Nations failure at this WC , the idea that 4 teams have to combine to beat a SH , may not be best way to develop

Rather our players got the summer off or Ireland played NZ/SA away in 2/3 tests. You only need to look at Argentina to see how playing the top teams regularly improves teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,792 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

That's true, 4 countries against one? Fairly ridiculous! Inferiority complex straight away!

Northern hemisphere versus southern, now that's something I'd get excited by!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement