Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Southern Hemisphere Domination

Options
  • 18-10-2015 3:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 89 ✭✭

It's now highly likely that the RWC semi finals will be made up of all 4 southern hemisphere nations. Wales, France, Ireland and likely Scotland have fallen to the sheer domination of the south.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I love the point you've made there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I would be interested in seeing the injury lists for all NH tier 1 teams versus all SH tier 1 teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

This thread won't be a popular one as people hate to face stark facts.

But you can't hide from severe thrashings...can you France? Or England? Or Ireland. Maybe the Scots can save the day ? :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭marc96

Stev_o wrote: »
    I would be interested in seeing the injury lists for all NH tier 1 teams versus all SH tier 1 teams.

Don't even start with the injury excuses,every team has injuries.only this week were the Irish saying how great the team was and that u had the best bench out of all the NH teams.wales had more injuries and played better still.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Stl088

Without a complete retool of NH rugby, it's hard to imagine a NH making a World Cup Final anytime soon, let alone winning one.

SH are miles ahead. Attacking rugby - that's the name of the game.

Has anyone dared to ask the question - WHY can't NH attack the way SH squads can?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

They have much better athleticism. Northern hemisphere backs are too focused on size not footwork & speed in the backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Going to be the first ever all SH Semi finals, well unless scotland can do us proud!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Stl088 wrote: »
    Without a complete retool of NH rugby, it's hard to imagine a NH making a World Cup Final anytime soon, let alone winning one.

Has anyone dared to ask the question - WHY can't NH attack the way SH squads can?

Base half your season playing rugby in the wind and rain in November, December, January and February and you have your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

marc96 wrote: »
    Don't even start with the injury excuses,every team has injuries.only this week were the Irish saying how great the team was and that u had the best bench out of all the NH teams.wales had more injuries and played better still.

Calm down, what I am suggesting has nothing to do with Ireland as a sole nation.

This is a question from a Hemisphere perspective, did the NH suffer from injuries the the South? If they did was it to do with bad luck or poor scheduling or a different approach of conditioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Stl088

Also, goes to show how useless the IRB rankings are in assessing the strength of Ireland v. countries outside of the Six Nations.

Ireland were NEVER the second best team in the world. You know how they achieved that ranking? By beating other highly ranked NH teams...... that are ALSO much worse than the SH nations.

Anyone ranking Ireland inside the top 4 right now is dreaming.

• Advertisement

Stl088 wrote: »

We love the box kicks. They love to run and offload.

England had potential to do well but they blew it. I simply knew all the others would crumble at Q-F stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭bigroad

We are the best in the NH so it no bad for a small country like us we should be ok with that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 89 ✭✭MJI

Stev_o wrote: »

Injuries are just excuses. Teams like NZ, SA and AUS. 15 men vs 15 men, they are different class. Their attacking game is on another level to anyone in the north

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I say we breed our women with fine young SH men, and create a race destined to play rugby and Iook pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,801 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The run and bump tactics of the Northern hemisphere will only get you so far.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 89 ✭✭MJI

I love the point you've made there.

The point is in the statement.They are simply better than us. No qualifying, No excuses. Pure domination

MJI wrote: »
    The point is in the statement.They are simply better than us. No qualifying, No excuses. Pure domination

Lucozade sport would do well to pull their stupid home nations add now.

Chuckle chuckle. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

follow footballs terrible Qatar example, move the World cup to January February time. The SH lads won't like playing in the lashing rain on a cold day.

but seriously im not sure what they can do, there are several factors that combine to create this (some of which yes the weather is actually a factor in why they happen) from the fact that they have argueably got better youth coaching, more focus on athleticism, they play the game at much more of a pace with an emphasis on handling skills (offloads etc) and less so on the kicking game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

It seems every 8 years the game under goes a shift of focus. Given the neutering of the ruck by world rugby the sh teams have rightly focused out wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

I say we breed our women with fine young SH men, and create a race destined to play rugby and Iook pretty.

Why not bring their women here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

And ban GAA :rolleyes: Only joking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Well done Argentina. There was a glimmer of hope there in the second half that Ireland could have won it but that door was quickly shut. This SH vs NH debate can await another day but it is clear where the power lies, in fact where it has always. Too much hype in NH about their teams.

I wonder what the future lies now for this team. A change in style hopefully.

jank wrote: »
    Well done Argentina. There was a glimmer of hope there in the second half that Ireland could have won it but that door was quickly shut. This SH vs NH debate can await another day but it is clear where the power lies, in fact where it has always. Too much hype in NH about their teams.

I wonder what the future lies now for this team. A change in style hopefully.

Correct. Schmidt must be forced to change his conservative box kicking type game or be sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Rightwing wrote: »
    Correct. Schmidt must be forced to change his conservative box kicking type game or be sacked.

Do go on! We are going to sack a back to back 6 nations manager because?

Do go on! We are going to sack a back to back 6 nations manager because?

Won on points differential, we are seeing the quality of teams that are in that now. Poor teams where a championship will probably be decided on who beats Italy by the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Won on points differential, we are seeing the quality of teams that are in that now. Poor teams where a championship will probably be decided on who beats Italy by the most.

We are seeing what the quality of two teams who in that is when they are decimated by injury.

We are seeing what the quality of two teams who in that is when they are decimated by injury.

I don't buy into this injury stuff. Our box kicking style is all wrong. Same with France, didn't matter who they had or didn't have with their negative style.

I don't buy into this injury stuff. Our box kicking style is all wrong. Same with France, didn't matter who they had or didn't have with their negative style.

I don't know how you could possibly not "buy into" an injury. Makes little sense really.

Paul O'Connell, Peter O'Mahoney, Sean O'Brien, Jonny Sexton and Jared Payne are 5 of our best players. If New Zealand lost Carter/McCaw/Whitelock/Kaino/Smith all at the same time they would struggle as well to replace them and look cohesive in the space of one week (two including Payne). It's a big ask.

Regardless, the idea that we have a "box kicking" game is simplistic and incorrect. It's a style we've used in some games, we didn't use it against France for example, we're capable of playing with the ball as well as kicking it. We're just very good at the kicking game.

I don't know how you could possibly not "buy into" an injury. Makes little sense really.

Paul O'Connell, Peter O'Mahoney, Sean O'Brien, Jonny Sexton and Jared Payne are 5 of our best players. If New Zealand lost Carter/McCaw/Whitelock/Kaino/Smith all at the same time they would struggle as well to replace them and look cohesive in the space of one week (two including Payne). It's a big ask.

Regardless, the idea that we have a "box kicking" game is simplistic and incorrect. It's a style we've used in some games, we didn't use it against France for example, we're capable of playing with the ball as well as kicking it. We're just very good at the kicking game.

If NZ lost them, they wouldn't be crushed 20-43 by the Argies.

Only a fool would gloss over such a crushing defeat and blame it on injuries. POC is gone, I concede POM / SOB / JS were sorely missed, but you can always expect a few injuries in a tournament. With a full squad, the Argies would still smash us, that's the sad fact.

Questions must be asked why.

• Advertisement

If NZ lost them, they wouldn't be crushed 20-43 by the Argies.

The final score is irrelevant if they get beaten.
    Only a fool would gloss over such a crushing defeat and blame it on injuries. POC is gone, I concede POM / SOB / JS were sorely missed, but you can always expect a few injuries in a tournament. With a full squad, the Argies would still smash us, that's the sad fact.

Questions must be asked why.

The answer to those questions is an inability to replace 5 of our most important players in the space of one week. Only a fool would gloss over such a huge amount of disruption.

You say that with a full squad Argentina would smash us but you really have absolutely no evidence of that. I saw our full squad beat Australia and South Africa not that long ago,in between winning two 6 Nations.

It's so easy to only turn up when teams are playing badly, which is exactly what you do. It's easy to pretend you know the answers. But the reality is not as desperate as you seem to want it to be.

Advertisement