Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Club Cup

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 wine and final destination

There are some sponsored teams at the ECC that hire someone great players and wouldn't necessarily be "regular" club members but the majority of teams and all the people we interacted with were genuine club members who qualified through their own national championships! Most people accept the really top teams are put together but lots are regular clubs! Regarding the chess tourists phrase I have to Say I didn't experience anything like that, any titled player I played was friendly, chatted, analysed and had prepared by looking through my games so they took it somewhat seriously at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

In Adares defence regarding eligibility, Sanduleac plays at least the minimum amount of league games to be eligible as does Tony. The biggest issue they face now is players playing for different teams like Tony, Jan, Milos and Colm which makes people question the club's eligibility! J new NCC rules will have a big impact on this next year, this coupled with it being held in Leinster will hopefully lead to more teams that played throughout the season participating!

Shouldn't it be held elsewhere next year since this year was Leinster's turn and the ICU executive instead decided to overrule and grant it to Ennis? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

Shouldn't it be held elsewhere next year since this year was Leinster's turn and the ICU executive instead decided to overrule and grant it to Ennis? :)

Why should Leinster clubs be punished by the mismanagement of the 2014/15 ICU executive?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

Why should Leinster clubs be punished by the mismanagement of the 2014/15 ICU executive?

What punishment? Leinster clubs are entitled to enter the competition regardless of where it's held.

RoundTower wrote: »
    This was a great tournament to play in as always. I did not have a good tournament myself - I had several chances to get results against much stronger players but did not take any of them, and finished with a loss to an unrated player whose first FIDE rating is likely to be 2300+. Killian Delaney, John McMorrow and Ray Byrne had tournaments to remember though. Ray could have joined Killian on +1 but unfortunately spoilt a winning double rook ending in time trouble on the last day. The highlight of the tournament however was certainly Conor's elegant win over GM Twan Burg.

I don't like the idea of having provincial teams. This isn't rugby where the move to a small number of professional clubs allowed our best players to play against quality opposition every week. We'd have teams competing for 30th place instead of for 40th - I don't think that brings any more glory to Irish chess. Someone has to come last, after all, and it doesn't matter to Kramnik and Topalov that the bottom boards are stocked by 2000 rated players instead of 2200s. A full Irish Olympiad team, for comparison would be seeded approximately 22nd like Eynatten. Having said that, we'd love to see what Gonzaga are capable of if we can just get Sam and Conor both available to play the event.

The ECC rules generally allow "made up clubs" so long as they play in the NCC and so long as any non-IRL players play for that club in the NCC or pay a fee to the organisers. They don't scrutinise the lower boards too carefully which may explain Adare's board 2. The recent change to the NCC rules should open up the competition and hopefully will attract more clubs to send their strongest teams. In recent years we've seen (in various competitions) teams capable of qualifying from Ennis, Galway, Rathmines, Kilkenny, Trinity, Elm Mount, St Benildus, plus some other potential surprise packages, as well as Gonzaga and Adare who qualified this year.

Thanks for the comments. Useful for clubs/players considering this event for next year (Novi Sad, Serbia, in November).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭caissa007

Candidates to be held in Moscow but Aronian to get last wild card
    http://en.chessbase.com/post/candidates-will-take-place-in-march-in-moscow

caissa007 wrote: »
    Candidates to be held in Moscow but Aronian to get last wild card
    http://en.chessbase.com/post/candidates-will-take-place-in-march-in-moscow

See announcement at the official website for the World Chess Championships,
    http://worldchess.com/

The precise venue in Moscow is to be announced some time in the next month. Aronian is an interesting choice; the clue would seem to be in the following statement:
    "Tashir Group, a large real estate developer in Russia, is one of the principal sponsors. The company is run by Samvel Karapetyan, an Armenian-born businessman whose net worth is about $4.8 billion according to Forbes magazine."

Advertisement