Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary says YES!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

volchitsa wrote: »
    Simple : a question about a fact. Do you support Ireland or Argentina?
    As opposed to a speculative question : do you think I support Ireland or Argentina?

You refused to reply to a simple question, instead dodging like mad about "faith vs truth" when you know well - if you are honest - that children in Infants' class are taught the stories about Jesus and Mary as being facts. That you try to dilute that with a spell about "other people's truths" just shows you're not being honest, no matter how you deny it.

I AM being honest with you when I tell you that children in infant classes are not taught the stories about Jesus and Mary as facts. I'm not trying to dilute anything or avoid anything! I'm stating as a fact, and I am being honest with you, and as straightforward with you as I can be - children are not taught these stories as facts.

And what's the point in that? I have no way of knowing, which was the distinction I was making about factual vs speculative questions.
    So my opinion is worth very little in this case, and I don't see why you put so much importance on hearing what it might be. Possibly because you're hoping to be able to object to it, and maybe even get me banned for speculating about your motives? (But of course that's purely speculative too, and therefore worth very little either) :D

Of course I want to hear your opinion! The reason I put so much importance on your opinion is because I believe that it's important to listen to people if we're ever to have any hope of understanding each other, so no, I don't want to object to your opinion, I'd rather hear your opinion first and then I can form a judgement of your opinion. I may object to some elements of your opinion, I hope I agree with more of it, as it means we're getting somewhere, we're reaching an understanding (even if we may disagree on our proposals, at least we understand each other!). Have you seen how the abortion thread has dragged on in a circular and pointless fashion? I'd rather we didn't.

I'd just like to make sure you know too that I would never want to see you banned, that's point scoring, and it's nasty. It's the speculation based upon a lack of evidence that irritates me. That's just gossip, scaremongering, or passing judgement without any real basis for your claims, like when you speculated that I was an unfit parent. I didn't take it badly because I understood you were basing your opinion on your own standards, so I understood where you were coming from.

And yet you are. You continue to insist that catechism classes don't teach New Testament stories as true, when you know they do. You attempt a dodge about "faith" but you can hardly fail to know that children of 6 are not taipught about Jesus' conception, birth and life in anything like the way they learn about Old Tetament stories.

I've already stated that what is taught in the religious curriculum is taught as true. It's tailored for SIX YEAR OLDS (as opposed to adults who might read sexual connotations into children's stories), so yes, they tend to leave out the parts of the Bible that include themes like rape, sodomy, murder, incest and so on, and they word the stories of the Bible in a way that appeals to a six year old child's cognitive abilities.

I've done the same for my own child, y'know, related the stories of the Bible to him in a way that he understands. I've also introduced him to other religions and he seems quite adept at being able to distinguish fact from fantasy. He's even tried to use his knowledge of that distinction to his advantage when he hints about asking Santa for an iPhone for Christmas. He is by no means unique in this regard. I've met plenty of six year olds who could do the same, and I've met a frightening number of adults who couldn't. They would be the type of adult who would interpret concepts literally.

Often made for very awkward discussion.

Irrelevant, because I didn't say they were abused for what they believed, I said that sending this sort of message of passivity when being asked to do something worrying by a trusted adult is unfortunate, given that abusers use exactly this sort of technique when grooming their future victims.

Again, that's an interesting interpretation of the story, but your claims are predicated on your misinterpretation of the story, misconstruing it's intent, in order to make a rather spurious claim.

How do you feel about children being told the story of how Jesus turned water into wine, or that Jesus rose from the dead?

Alcoholic zombie bastard!

That's what happens when you choose to cry wolf and rip the piss out of something - when you claim to have a genuine grievance, people are skeptical about whether you're actually being serious, or is this just another attempt at taking the piss, and a rather despicable attempt using the potential for children to be sexually abused to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

The mixed messages in school from this textbook are perfectly clear. Relying on the teacher to correct them reveals the deep flaw in the message in them. The lengths gone to in this thread to obscure and obfuscate show again the utter bankruptcy of the RCC and its idiotic beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I AM being honest with you when I tell you that children in infant classes are not taught the stories about Jesus and Mary as facts. I'm not trying to dilute anything or avoid anything! I'm stating as a fact, and I am being honest with you, and as straightforward with you as I can be - children are not taught these stories as facts.
    This is a lie. Either that or you don't understand your own religion.
    I've already stated that what is taught in the religious curriculum is taught as true. It's tailored for SIX YEAR OLDS (as opposed to adults who might read sexual connotations into children's stories), so yes, they tend to leave out the parts of the Bible that include themes like rape, sodomy, murder, incest and so on, and they word the stories of the Bible in a way that appeals to a six year old child's cognitive abilities.

How do you feel about children being told the story of how Jesus turned water into wine, or that Jesus rose from the dead?

Wait. Are you now claiming that Catholics don't believe that Jesus performed real miracles, or that he rose from the dead?

Maybe you actually weren't lying just now, and you genuinely don't know what the catholic religion teaches as fact and what it doesn't.

So. What do you think the official line is on the Eucharist then? Jesus' real body and blood, or just a symbol? :D

Fleawuss wrote: »
    The mixed messages in school from this textbook are perfectly clear.

Mixed messages are perfectly clear? If they were mixed messages, they wouldn't be perfectly clear. The message Atheist Ireland seems to be getting from the book is definitely a very unique interpretation that I don't think is possible for any six year old child to draw the same conclusions. In fact, the article reads like their usual satirical missives with regard to religious beliefs - didn't they do an experiment on Christ crackers and transubstantiation?

Why would anyone read their opinion any differently?

Relying on the teacher to correct them reveals the deep flaw in the message in them.

What message are you getting, because you haven't been very clear at all about the mixed messages you seem to be seeing that other people don't?

Perhaps you require an adult to interpret the story for you. Perhaps an adult employed as a teacher? They're usually the people that society charges with children's formal education.

The lengths gone to in this thread to obscure and obfuscate show again the utter bankruptcy of the RCC and its idiotic beliefs.

The only people engaging in deliberate, obscure obfuscation, showing their utter bankruptcy of thought and understanding, is the person who interprets that story as a means for excusing child abusers and playing upon parents fears for their child's safety to further their agenda in promoting secularism in Irish society.

They genuinely believe that their methods work. I would call that belief idiotic.

Different perspectives I suppose.

The OP made it perfectly clear. The attempts to retrieve the situation for the RCC are the usual embarrassment: the desperate rearguard action of those in defense of the absurd. It's sad to see so much time invested in trying to defend nonsense like this.

• Advertisement

This is a lie. Either that or you don't understand your own religion.

Or, more likely, you just don't understand the idea of religious education and faith formation in Irish Roman Catholic ethos schools.

Wait. Are you now claiming that Catholics don't believe that Jesus performed real miracles, or that he rose from the dead?

No, I never made any such claims.

Maybe you actually weren't lying just now, and you genuinely don't know what the catholic religion teaches as fact and what it doesn't.

It's no surprise that you'll believe what you want when it suits you. Throughout this thread it's been claimed that children believe what they're told. I argued that they don't. They believe what suits them, as do adults.

So. What do you think the official line is on the Eucharist then? Jesus' real body and blood, or just a symbol? :D

The official line on the Eucharist is probably explained on that website you linked to earlier that explained many of the official lines, doctirines, dogmas and beliefs contained in the Roman Catholic Catechism.

It may not make any mention of how religious beliefs and stories from the Bible are taught as fact in Irish Roman Catholic ethos schools, so it in no way provides evidence for your earlier claims, but it might be useful for increasing your knowledge and understanding of Roman Catholicism. Mine is fine btw.

I'd be loathe to profer a smiley as that'd just be smug, patronising behaviour. I entered this discussion with the best will in the world, but it's since become obvious that we're all just here to take the piss really. So, do you want an actual discussion, or do you just want to point score and take the piss?

Fleawuss wrote: »
    The OP made it perfectly clear. The attempts to retrieve the situation for the RCC are the usual embarrassment: the desperate rearguard action of those in defense of the absurd. It's sad to see so much time invested in trying to defend nonsense like this.

How do you think a discussion works exactly?

This would have been a very short thread if everyone here agreed with the OP. There wouldn't even have been much point in the OP starting a thread in an online echo chamber. It's one of the reasons why A&A is one of my favorite forums - it can be a head melt at times, but I've never been made to feel unwelcome or afraid of being sanctioned for disagreeing with other posters.

Maybe if I was six years old again and I heard that story of Mary, I might be inclined to avoid the A&A forum out of fear of the unknown...

I doubt it though.

Or, more likely, you just don't understand the idea of religious education and faith formation in Irish Roman Catholic ethos schools.

No, I never made any such claims.

It's no surprise that you'll believe what you want when it suits you. Throughout this thread it's been claimed that children believe what they're told. I argued that they don't. They believe what suits them, as do adults.
    This is utterly dishonest. You are implying that 6 year olds have the necessary distance to know that some of the things they are told as being true are not necessarily, emm, true.

This is at an age where many still believe in Santa! And you don't see a possible problem there.

Right.
    The official line on the Eucharist is probably explained on that website you linked to earlier that explained many of the official lines, doctirines, dogmas and beliefs contained in the Roman Catholic Catechism.

It may not make any mention of how religious beliefs and stories from the Bible are taught as fact in Irish Roman Catholic ethos schools, so it in no way provides evidence for your earlier claims, but it might be useful for increasing your knowledge and understanding of Roman Catholicism. Mine is fine btw.
    I've been through it all too, and it simply isn't true that it's made clear to children that maybe Mary wasn't a virgin. Is it?
    I'd be loathe to profer a smiley as that'd just be smug, patronising behaviour. I entered this discussion with the best will in the world, but it's since become obvious that we're all just here to take the piss really. So, do you want an actual discussion, or do you just want to point score and take the piss?
    Point scoring? You're posing misleading or even untrue assertions and you think it's point scoring when someone calls you on that?

I disagree. A discussion requires that both sides post honestly, something you are still failing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,293 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mixed messages are perfectly clear? If they were mixed messages, they wouldn't be perfectly clear.

This is what you are reduced to OEJ? The obvious meaning of the sentence was that it was perfectly clear that there were mixed message, not that the mixed messages were in themselves clear.

Your arguments are rambling all over the place and maybe I am being a bit slow, but I just cannot follow some of them.
    The only people engaging in deliberate, obscure obfuscation, showing their utter bankruptcy of thought and understanding, is the person who interprets that story as a means for excusing child abusers and playing upon parents fears for their child's safety to further their agenda in promoting secularism in Irish society.

No-one is excusing child abusers - what are you talking about?

And while I would not deny there is an 'agenda' to promote secularism - I support it in education myself - I do not see that this is 'playing on parents' fears'. It is just a common sense approach to children's safety. There is the whole rest of the book offering the teachings of the church, which have not been disputed. We are pretty poor secularists if we do not take the opportunity to tear the rest of the book to shreds!

The argument about secularism is much bigger than fussing about a single book - unless that book contains dubious material that needs to be sorted in the short term, rather than just waiting until the whole business of religious teaching in schools is dealt with.

Sometimes you know, just occasionally, the church might get it wrong, it would be good if it were big enough to admit it and correct its own mistakes.

This is utterly dishonest. You are implying that 6 year olds have the necessary distance to know that some of the things they are told as being true are not necessarily, emm, true.

This is at an age where many still believe in Santa! And you don't see a possible problem there.

Right.

Not only do I know it's a fact, but I at least provided evidence to support my claim earlier in the thread. I'm still waiting on any substantive evidence you have for your claims.

I see no possible problems there. What possible problems do you see there? Parents are their children's biggest influence, even the parents you deem to be unfit parents, based upon your own ill-informed opinions, yet you feel you have the authority to pass judgements on complete strangers to you like you did?

I see HUGE possible problems there alright if you're passing that attitude on to your own children.

I've been through it all too, and it simply isn't true that it's made clear to children that maybe Mary wasn't a virgin. Is it?

Does it need to be? She was married to Joseph after all, it's not like children of parents who are Roman Catholic can't put two and two together. Most children nowadays who are bombarded with sexual imagery in the media and on the internet are aware that Mary wasn't a virgin.

Point scoring? You're posing misleading or even untrue assertions and you think it's point scoring when someone calls you on that?

When are you or anyone else going to start calling me on anything I've posted which was misleading or untrue? If you could start before Jesus gets back I'd really appreciate it.

I disagree. A discussion requires that both sides post honestly, something you are still failing to do.

Well when it comes to who is or isn't being truthful, there's your truth, my truth, and then there's the facts. I've yet to see some about any claims that this particular story would actually have the effect you're claiming it would have on children.

• Advertisement

Not only do I know it's a fact, but I at least provided evidence to support my claim earlier in the thread. I'm still waiting on any substantive evidence you have for your claims.

I see no possible problems there. What possible problems do you see there? Parents are their children's biggest influence, even the parents you deem to be unfit parents, based upon your own ill-informed opinions, yet you feel you have the authority to pass judgements on complete strangers to you like you did?

I see HUGE possible problems there alright if you're passing that attitude on to your own children.

Does it need to be? She was married to Joseph after all, it's not like children of parents who are Roman Catholic can't put two and two together. Most children nowadays who are bombarded with sexual imagery in the media and on the internet are aware that Mary wasn't a virgin.

When are you or anyone else going to start calling me on anything I've posted which was misleading or untrue? If you could start before Jesus gets back I'd really appreciate it.

Well when it comes to who is or isn't being truthful, there's your truth, my truth, and then there's the facts. I've yet to see some about any claims that this particular story would actually have the effect you're claiming it would have on children.
    You're posting stuff that directly contradicts catholic teaching, and you're alleging that 6 year olds should be able to work this out for themselves.

Remember "Blessed Mary ever Virgin" - is that all nonsense now too?

If you claim it is, I have to point out to you that many catholic adults believe it, and it's really not sensible to expect 6 year olds to have better critical faculties than adults.

You're posting stuff that just doesn't correspond to the catholic religion, in fact contradicts it - and I can't see any evidence here or elsewhere for your claims.

Pages and pages of "explain it away". Mary was a virgin impregnated by the holy spirt so that etc etc. If I remember right there's something about her having to be a Virgo intacta after the birth and so on. Then we have the "assumption" and of course all this makes sense and can be explained away. The poor children inflicted with this gobbledygook. But look, the RCC can produce people who write reams of waffle and obfuscation so therefore (sic) it must mean something. Utterly embarrassing to see the posting that goes on in defense of this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

More stuff for sane parents to unlearn from their children that they only sent to a cult school because it was the only thing available.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭La Fenetre

ABC101 wrote: »
    We seem to have different understandings of the words..."intrinsic disorder"

If I could post this link... explains it better than I could..

I'm afraid that link is not official Catholic teaching but rather someone's opinion of it.
    If you check the catechism on the Vatican's website, you'll obtain the official, accurate and correct wording.

You're posting stuff that directly contradicts catholic teaching, and you're alleging that 6 year olds should be able to work this out for themselves.

Yes, and I posted evidence of same earlier in the thread -

I'm familiar with that study, but they were specifically concerned with children from religious backgrounds vs. children from non-religious backgrounds, as opposed to objectively examining children's ability to be skeptical, which is the basis of how they form judgements (they offer some explanations as to why children raised with religion would appear to be less skeptical), but I believe that this study is often mistakenly presented as evidence that religious children (don't let Richard Dawkins ever hear you refer to 'a religious child' :p) have any difficulty in distinguishing fact from fiction. Children process new ideas differently based upon previous experiences they can relate those concepts to, and that's why it appears that religious children aren't as skeptical as non-religious children.

Here's a more comprehensive analysis though of children's thinking -

Revisiting the Fantasy-Reality Distinction: Children as Naïve Skeptics

Abstract

Far from being the uncritical believers young children have been portrayed as, children often exhibit skepticism toward the reality status of novel entities and events. This paper reviews research on children’s reality status judgments, testimony use, understanding of possibility, and religious cognition. When viewed from this new perspective it becomes apparent that, when assessing reality status, children are as likely to doubt as they are to believe. It is suggested that immature metacognitive abilities are at the root of children’s skepticism, specifically that an insufficient ability to evaluate the scope and relevance of one’s knowledge leads to an over-reliance on it in evaluating reality status. With development comes increasing ability to utilize a wider range of sources to inform reality status judgments.

Remember "Blessed Mary ever Virgin" - is that all nonsense now too?

The explanation for that in Roman Catholic teachings is in the Catechism of the Catholic Church -

Mary's virginity

496 From the first formulations of her faith, the Church has confessed that Jesus was conceived solely by the power of the Holy Spirit in the womb of the Virgin Mary, affirming also the corporeal aspect of this event: Jesus was conceived "by the Holy Spirit without human seed".146 The Fathers see in the virginal conception the sign that it truly was the Son of God who came in a humanity like our own. Thus St. Ignatius of Antioch at the beginning of the second century says:

You are firmly convinced about our Lord, who is truly of the race of David according to the flesh, Son of God according to the will and power of God, truly born of a virgin,. . . he was truly nailed to a tree for us in his flesh under Pontius Pilate. . . he truly suffered, as he is also truly risen.147
    497 The Gospel accounts understand the virginal conception of Jesus as a divine work that surpasses all human understanding and possibility:148 "That which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit", said the angel to Joseph about Mary his fiancee.149 The Church sees here the fulfillment of the divine promise given through the prophet Isaiah: "Behold, a virgin shall conceive and bear a son."150

Source: Catechism of the Catholic Church

Faith formation as part of religious education remember, as distinct from imparting religious beliefs as fact.

If you claim it is, I have to point out to you that many catholic adults believe it, and it's really not sensible to expect 6 year olds to have better critical faculties than adults.

Based on this claim, I have to ask, how many adults and children have you spent any time with to really get to know them? It may not seem logical to hold the belief that six year olds may have better critical faculties than adults, but the very fact that as you point out yourself that adults may believe this stuff without question, while the most common question you hear children ask is "Why?", suggests that children may indeed have better critical faculties than adults.

My own theory on that is that it's because children don't hold as many prejudices as adults do by the time they reach adulthood. Children aren't embarrassed to ask the questions that adults are afraid to deal with. They don't have the same "concrete" thinking that adults do, because they don't have the same knowledge as adults, so they question far more of the world around them, whereas adults are more willing to accept what they're told as long as it fits in neatly with their already formed prejudices and biases.

You're posting stuff that just doesn't correspond to the catholic religion, in fact contradicts it - and I can't see any evidence here or elsewhere for your claims.

Do you want the facts, or do you just want the version of the truth that suits you?

Ah, so that was your evidence! Unfortunately for you it also finds that children subjected to religious indoctrination have a lower ability to form their own opinions than those who are not taught to believe in a religion.

So while no-one thinks that no children are ever able to withhold belief from crazy stories, that link definitely doesn't show that children who are told that Mary remained a virgin etc will know not to believe it.

What are they meant to think about the Eucharist, btw? I asked you earlier but you didn't reply. Do you think they should use their critical faculties there and consider that Communion is not the body and blood of Christ, but only a symbol?

looksee wrote: »
    This is what you are reduced to OEJ? The obvious meaning of the sentence was that it was perfectly clear that there were mixed message, not that the mixed messages were in themselves clear.

If that's the case, then I genuinely misunderstood what that poster meant. It had me scratching my head for a good ten minutes thinking how many ways could I interpret what they meant and in what context they meant it, and that's why I questioned what they meant.

Your arguments are rambling all over the place and maybe I am being a bit slow, but I just cannot follow some of them.

You're not being slow at all, I'm having difficulty myself trying to keep the goalposts in one place. I'm expected to be able to answer for other people's understanding of their religion now too as well as my own, as though I am somehow responsible for what other people choose to believe. I would be responsible for what they believe if I told them what to believe, or pointed fingers at them for what they do not choose to believe, but I don't do that.

No-one is excusing child abusers - what are you talking about?

I'm talking about this -

If parents decide to opt out their children from the religion class they are responsible for their supervision. Our children are still left sitting at the back of the class absorbing the Catholic Church message: ‘SAY YES’!, even if you are afraid and confused. Just trust someone that comes in the night.

As I read it, that's making excuses for child abusers and holding parents responsible for them by allowing child abusers access to their children in their own homes.

And while I would not deny there is an 'agenda' to promote secularism - I support it in education myself - I do not see that this is 'playing on parents' fears'. It is just a common sense approach to children's safety.

I don't see it as a common sense approach to children's safety at all. I see the way that article is written as scaremongering sensationalism and playing on parents fears for their children's safety. The implication being that if you as a parent choose to allow your child to be exposed to religion in schools, they learn that they shouldn't say no to child abusers.

There is the whole rest of the book offering the teachings of the church, which have not been disputed. We are pretty poor secularists if we do not take the opportunity to tear the rest of the book to shreds!

Secularism, as I always understood it, is the separation between the State, and Religion. I don't see myself as a poor secularist if I'm unwilling to try and scare people into compliance with my ideals. I would see that as no different to what the RCC did to the Irish people since they were invited to Ireland centuries ago (I agreed with your earlier post btw, I consider myself a progressive RC, those that do not share my religion don't have to, and they are entitled to the same protection of the State as I have as a citizen of the State).

The argument about secularism is much bigger than fussing about a single book - unless that book contains dubious material that needs to be sorted in the short term, rather than just waiting until the whole business of religious teaching in schools is dealt with.

All I can say to this is I pick my battles more carefully. I concentrate on the content of policies that govern the education of all citizens of the State. I concentrate on the policies that govern all citizens of the State, and religion has no place in those policies. If people want to get bogged down in misinterpreting a story in a book that will most likely go in one ear and out the other of a child by the time the bell for the end of school rings - they're fighting a losing battle in the mud, they're going to get beaten down and hammered with experience.

Sometimes you know, just occasionally, the church might get it wrong, it would be good if it were big enough to admit it and correct its own mistakes.

I trust you don't believe in miracles? I really wouldn't hold your breath expecting the RCC Hierarchy in Ireland to admit they got it wrong any time soon. All I can do is my part in ensuring that people within the RCC never get the same opportunity to do the same thing to children again that they did in the past.

A mountain of excerpts that amount to restating RCC teaching. Absurd teaching about a Virgin impregnated by an incorporeal "spirit" etc. The approach is simply "shovel enough **** at a wall and hope some sticks". It really does show the approach: but it is cringeworthy to see it indulged in again and again.

All I can do is my part in ensuring that people within the RCC never get the same opportunity to do the same thing to children again that they did in the past.

And your part in ensuring that consists of what, exactly?

Because from here all I can see is a dogged determination to ensure the Catholic Church gets as much control over children's education as possible, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'd be really interested to hear what steps you've taken to protect children, in general, not just your own, from abusers within the Catholic Church?

Oh, and I'm still interested in hearing your take on what children are expected to take away from religion classes about the literal truth, or not, of what the Eucharist is?

Ah, so that was your evidence! Unfortunately for you it also finds that children subjected to religious indoctrination have a lower ability to form their own opinions than those who are not taught to believe in a religion.

The only thing that's unfortunate here is that when I answer one claim, you move the goalposts again to claim that my evidence doesn't support a different claim. This is the actual claim you made that I was posting my evidence in reply to -

I took your post to mean you were referring to the six year olds abilities to think critically, and the link I provided supports the claim that they are able to work out for themselves that what I have posted directly contradicts catholic teaching if they are presented with both narratives.

So while no-one thinks that no children are ever able to withhold belief from crazy stories, that link definitely doesn't show that children who are told that Mary remained a virgin etc will know not to believe it.

You certainly did earlier? And there have been many posters here who have claimed that children do not think about things, that they simply believe what they're told and take it as fact. The evidence I linked to contradicts that claim. The link was never intended to show that children who are told Mary remained a virgin, etc, will know not to believe it, as that's a very specific claim. It's a bit like your earlier claims about six year olds that believe in Santa - you couldn't possibly know this for a fact, but it suits you to belleve it. It suits you to believe it because you're quite comfortable in ignoring the fact that those children have not yet been presented with an alternative theory as to how the presents appear under the Christmas tree.

That would be down to their unfit parents who chose not to inform them about the fact that they put the presents under the tree, and Santa does not come down chimneys, and Santa does not watch over them all year to assess whether they've been naughty or nice.

You should probably have a word with those parents who are lying to their children. Terrible stuff altogether to use emotional blackmail against their chidlren like that. Might want to have a word with them about the bogeyman and the Easter bunny too while you're at it since you're so concerned about stories that could have children believing in nonsense that could potentially be harmful to them.

What are they meant to think about the Eucharist, btw? I asked you earlier but you didn't reply. Do you think they should use their critical faculties there and consider that Communion is not the body and blood of Christ, but only a symbol?

Choosing to read what suits you now too? I'm not surprised. I did answer your question earlier btw -

• Advertisement

The only thing that's unfortunate here is that when I answer one claim, you move the goalposts again to claim that my evidence doesn't support a different claim. This is the actual claim you made that I was posting my evidence in reply to -

I took your post to mean you were referring to the six year olds abilities to think critically, and the link I provided supports the claim that they are able to work out for themselves that what I have posted directly contradicts catholic teaching if they are presented with both narratives.

You certainly did earlier? And there have been many posters here who have claimed that children do not think about things, that they simply believe what they're told and take it as fact. The evidence I linked to contradicts that claim. The link was never intended to show that children who are told Mary remained a virgin, etc, will know not to believe it, as that's a very specific claim. It's a bit like your earlier claims about six year olds that believe in Santa - you couldn't possibly know this for a fact, but it suits you to belleve it. It suits you to believe it because you're quite comfortable in ignoring the fact that those children have not yet been presented with an alternative theory as to how the presents appear under the Christmas tree.

That would be down to their unfit parents who chose not to inform them about the fact that they put the presents under the tree, and Santa does not come down chimneys, and Santa does not watch over them all year to assess whether they've been naughty or nice.

You should probably have a word with those parents who are lying to their children. Terrible stuff altogether to use emotional blackmail against their chidlren like that. Might want to have a word with them about the bogeyman and the Easter bunny too while you're at it since you're so concerned about stories that could have children believing in nonsense that could potentially be harmful to them.

Choosing to read what suits you now too? I'm not surprised. I did answer your question earlier btw -
    And again, neat dodge.

The funny thing is that you claim you're being honest, when you've been doing nothing but dodging replies the whole time.

Mental reservation is alive and well, clearly. :D

And your part in ensuring that consists of what, exactly?

Because from here all I can see is a dogged determination to ensure the Catholic Church gets as much control over children's education as possible, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'd be really interested to hear what steps you've taken to protect children, in general, not just your own, from abusers within the Catholic Church?

You'll accuse me of dodging, but I have no interest in posting that information on a public forum. I don't expect you to take my word for it, you've shown so far that no amount of information I've given you so far is acceptable for you even though I have backed it up with objective evidence.

Oh, and I'm still interested in hearing your take on what children are expected to take away from religion classes about the literal truth, or not, of what the Eucharist is?

That's not what you asked me for the first two times, you asked me for the official line on the Eucharist -
    So. What do you think the official line is on the Eucharist then?

I suggested you check that website you linked to yourself earlier, as that is what children are expected to take away from religion classes. I have no reason to believe you are actually interested in my take on anything at this point.

And again, neat dodge.

The funny thing is that you claim you're being honest, when you've been doing nothing but dodging replies the whole time.

I've been honest. You just don't like the honest answers you're being given as they don't fit neatly into your prejudiced ideas about people who are religious. When I'm dodging, I'll tell you I'm unwilling to answer your questions. I think I've been incredibly patient with you this far, but my patience tbh is fast wearing thin at this point because you're coming across as less interested in the discussion, and more interested in badgering.

Mental reservation is alive and well, clearly. :D

And once again - beam in your own eye much?

I think this 'discussion' has run it's course for me at this point tbh. It's gotten to that 'head melt' point where it's just not interesting enough to be worth contributing to any more.

That's not what you asked me for the first two times, you asked me for the official line on the Eucharist

True, but given that you ignored the official links which said that various aspects were true in favour of your own claim that in Infants class in Irish schools the children were expected not to believe the literal virginity of Mary, I find myself also asking what your own take on the fundamental tenets of Catholicism is - because what you claim happens is not conventional Catholicism.

True, but

No, it's not just true, it's a fact. It's there in black and white if you go back through the thread, just in case you accuse me of dodging or being dishonest again, when I did in fact answer your question, twice.

given that you ignored the official links which said that various aspects were true in favour of your own claim that in Infants class in Irish schools the children were expected not to believe the literal virginity of Mary

Let me clarify for you exactly what I claimed, in case you think again I'm being dishonest, since you're again moving the goalposts and tweaking your assertions ever so slightly each time -

What children are expected to believe, and what they actually believe, are two completely different things. That is the very basis of skepticism which leads to questioning in children.

Adults rarely possess this facility for critical thinking because their thinking is more concrete and solidified based upon how their prejudices and biases have been fed over the years. Their thinking is more informed by selection and confirmation bias, and they actually have to make an effort to think critically - they have to be taught how to think critically, to overcome their prejudices and biases.

I find myself also asking what your own take on the fundamental tenets of Catholicism is - because what you claim happens is not conventional Catholicism.

My own take on the fundamental tenets of Catholicism is irrelevant here. What is relevant, is how the fundamental tenets of Catholicism are being imparted to children of parents who identify as Roman Catholic, because those children are being indoctrinated in loco parentis in Catholic ethos schools.

I didn't make any claims myself about what is or isn't conventional Catholicism. If you have questions about conventional Catholicism, you're better off to use the internet to inform yourself as you've already accused me of being dishonest, evasive, atheist, and let's not forget - an unfit parent -

Jack, I realize you claim to be an atheist
    I simply don't believe that you just allowed your six year old to be in situations where he not only knew no adults but may have had to walk up to random strangers and ask them for favours. I genuinely do not believe that a careful parent would show that level of negligence towards their child's safety.

So either you are (IMO) unfit to be a parent or you are still desperately inventing excuses to make this "Mary said yes!" business into unexceptionable. I suspect strongly that it's the latter.

Many other people I know would have been less than civil with you after the first comment, definitely less than civil with you after the second comment, and yet I corrected you respectfully on both counts. All throughout the thread you have been less than civil and less than respectful, and when you're given honest answers you dismiss them and substitute them with your own beliefs, and then you accuse me of mental reservation, a very unfamiliar term to most people who are not aware of the connotations of that term.

You're pushing and pushing and I think before I am any more honest with you, I should think about the possible consequences of being uncivil to you which could easily result in an infraction if not a forum ban. It's simply not worth it to try and educate you tbh. There's no changing some people's minds when they are unwilling to be moved from their own prejudices and biases. Lord knows I gave it a good fcuking shot at least.

What children are expected to believe, and what they actually believe, are two completely different things. That is the very basis of skepticism which leads to questioning in children.

Adults rarely possess this facility for critical thinking because their thinking is more concrete and solidified based upon how their prejudices and biases have been fed over the years. Their thinking is more informed by selection and confirmation bias, and they actually have to make an effort to think critically - they have to be taught how to think critically, to overcome their prejudices and biases.
    So obviously that is why parents tell their children about Santa - because the child will clearly see straight through the story that the adult still believes. :rolleyes:
    My own take on the fundamental tenets of Catholicism is irrelevant here. What is relevant, is how the fundamental tenets of Catholicism are being imparted to children of parents who identify as Roman Catholic, because those children are being indoctrinated in loco parentis in Catholic ethos schools.
    It's relevant because you dismissed an official RCC website, claiming that what it said wasn't what was taught in Irish schools.

Of course you then went and used it to avoid answering the question about why you seemed to think that things that are taught as true as part of standard Catholic teaching will be understood not to be literally true by 6 year olds, but never mind, what's one more inconsistency in the web you've been weaving here? :D

And it's a bit late now to complain about something that was said - and discussed - way back. If you didn't want to engage, back then was the time to take the hump. Not now that you've been shown up so thoroughly. It just looks like you throwing your toys out of the pram at this stage. But sure, whatever, go ahead. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

La Fenetre wrote: »
    What bollocks would atheists in atheist/agnostic schools be learning ?
    Rather little, since there's no such thing as an "atheist/agnostic school".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭swampgas

It seems One eyed Jack is claiming that fact and dogma are two different things - and maybe from a theological perspective, this claim makes sense. But surely that's a very subtle (and contentious) distinction to be making about things being taught to 6-year-olds?

As far as I'm concerned, and as far as my own experience goes, there is no distinction between "fact" and "dogma" from the child's perspective - they are both presented as truths by adults in positions of authority.

To get back to the original story - it isn't just the children listening passively to the teacher telling them a story. The workbook has them join the dots to make a big "YES", effectively coaching the children (IMO) on how to be obedient to God in exactly the same way as Mary. That really bothers me, more than the story itself in fact.

Now if parents had real choice of primary education maybe this wouldn't be such a big deal, but for some parents whose kids are in RCC schools simply because there are no alternatives, it's rather galling to have what might be considered dangerous ideology forced on their kids and simply goes to show the massive problem we have with RCC indoctrination being integrated into the national school system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

La Fenetre wrote: »
    I'm afraid that link is not official Catholic teaching but rather someone's opinion of it.
    If you check the catechism on the Vatican's website, you'll obtain the official, accurate and correct wording.

Many thanks for your point.

I've checked up on the Catechism reading and the 1975 Persona Humana.

The Homosexual act...is describes as "intrinsically disordered" in both documents as you correctly pointed out.

However the homosexual inclination of a person while not described as "intrinsically disordered" is described as "objectively disordered" in the Catechism document.

Catheism link here

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P85.HTM#-2E5

Persona Humana link here

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_19751229_persona-humana_en.html

So in conclusion, one is intrinsic, one is obtective and both are disordered

• Registered Users Posts: 28,293 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OEJ, thank you for your detailed if incomprehensible answer to my post.

You said:
    As I read it, that's making excuses for child abusers and holding parents responsible for them by allowing child abusers access to their children in their own homes.

I absolutely cannot see how you come to that conclusion from what was said. And you are accusing other people of being sensationalist!

After 16 pages we are no further forward and a lot of the argument is totally irrelevant to the original point, so I am bowing out. If this is a 'last man standing' debate, I think you will probably win ;).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

No, it's not just true, it's a fact. It's there in black and white if you go back through the thread, just in case you accuse me of dodging or being dishonest again, when I did in fact answer your question, twice.

Let me clarify for you exactly what I claimed, in case you think again I'm being dishonest, since you're again moving the goalposts and tweaking your assertions ever so slightly each time -

I didn't make any claims myself about what is or isn't conventional Catholicism. If you have questions about conventional Catholicism, you're better off to use the internet to inform yourself as you've already accused me of being dishonest, evasive, atheist, and let's not forget - an unfit parent -

Many other people I know would have been less than civil with you after the first comment, definitely less than civil with you after the second comment, and yet I corrected you respectfully on both counts. All throughout the thread you have been less than civil and less than respectful, and when you're given honest answers you dismiss them and substitute them with your own beliefs, and then you accuse me of mental reservation, a very unfamiliar term to most people who are not aware of the connotations of that term.

You're pushing and pushing and I think before I am any more honest with you, I should think about the possible consequences of being uncivil to you which could easily result in an infraction if not a forum ban. It's simply not worth it to try and educate you tbh. There's no changing some people's minds when they are unwilling to be moved from their own prejudices and biases. Lord knows I gave it a good fcuking shot at least.

A most spectacular comment if I dare say so old boy!

If I may comment generally and not specifically on the posters / thread so far..

I do know of some atheists who are truly excellent company, but unfortunately there are others who not only lack belief but hold a pathological hatred of belief.

Trying to reason / debate / explain to the latter category is almost pointless.

But it does show them up for what they are!

Advertisement