Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary says YES!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Well, there's no point in preaching to the converted is there?

Absolutely not. Not much point preaching to atheists either, they tend be be a bit too critical. No, better to get them while they're young, don't you think?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    Well an atheist forum is not really the place for that either. You won't find anyone gullible enough to convert. That is why primary school children are targeted before they develop the ability to think critically.

Is this an atheist forum, or a forum for discussing atheist topics?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭volchitsa

No-one's objecting to you preaching to the unconverted, if you really want to - it was you trying to shut down a conversation on the pretext that people here weren't catholic and therefore shouldn't care about potentially unsafe messages being taught to "Catholic children" that people objected to.

You just may not have much success, is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,883 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Ultimately, why are atheists getting their knickers in a twist over what Catholic children are taught in Catholic schools? Seems like the sort of people who go out of their way to be annoyed by something.

Because such schools make up about 90% of primary schools in the country, and in vast swathes of the country they're the only option for parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Oh no I didn't mean it like that at all, we are not like 'other' forum where delicate sensibilities and ideation must be protected by the charter or someone might cry, you can say what you want about atheism in here, you can preach if you want, I was just saying that there's not much point preaching in here, because we are mostly atheists/agnostics and therefore not gullible enough for you to have any success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Fleawuss wrote: »
    Its both obvious and true. You are asserting that it would not be so construed by a child. Others have asserted differently. .
    So, then it's not obvious.
    A textbook should not give rise to such confusion on such an important area. The charge of obfuscation is very well founded but not visible to you.
    But there's no reason to imagine the texbook does give rise to confusion; some people take a specific objectionable meaning from it others don't. No one yet has said they found it confusing. The charge of obfuscation was perfecty visible, it was right there. If it wasn't visible, I'd never have picked up on it. However, it is certainly unfounded; you've offered no evidence to base it on.
    I have no fondness for the word: its repeated use does not indicate such and is indicative of you simply jumping to a conclusion.
    Of course not, you just repeatedly use it, right?
    There are pages of waffle here in defence of the RCC: your attempt to pass the point on to the teacher "not to create" an already extant confusion is a wonderful example of same: pure sophistry and obfuscation.
    And pages of waffle attacking the RCC too; tends to be the way in these things though. However, I never attempt to pass the point on to the teacher "not to create" an already extant confusion; there's no evidence that there is any extant confusion. Just a couple of posters believing there could be.
    The only purpose it serves is the same old fig leaf for the RCC to try to weasel its way out of a mess. It is tiresome, embarassing and cringeworthy to see this stuff posted constantly and regarding itself as a substantial contribution.
    Yes, that kind of rhetorical nonsense you're throwing out is certainly everything you say. Perhaps a little less invective and a little more in the way of facts might cut out a few pages of the waffle? Just a suggestion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Ultimately, why are atheists getting their knickers in a twist over what Catholic children are taught in Catholic schools?
    The children are not "catholic" and the schools are not "catholic".

The kids are innocent, gullible people whose innocence and gullibility are abused by people who say they know better, but clearly do not.

The schools are state-run and state-funded institutions which are controlled by senior catholic people for the long-term benefit of their religious views.

This constitutes misuse of religious privilege at state level, and open abuse of the innocence and trust of children.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I'm confused here OEJ. What are you agreeing with in what I said? That humans are susceptible to believing unsubstantiated stories and ideas for which there is no evidence?

Yes, exactly this, and it is evident in this thread that there are people susceptible to believing in unsubstantiated ideas for which nobody yet making this claim has been able to produce any actual substantive evidence.

If you agree with this statement, then surely you would agree that unsubstantiated ideas and beliefs should not be presented as factual information in schools.

I totally agree with that statement, which is why I disagree with Creationism being taught as fact in some public schools in the US. That doesn't happen here in Ireland, and anyone who has made the claim that it does, has been unable so far to provide evidence to substantiate their claims.

You seemed to be implying that it was unusual that people believe in phenomena for which there is no evidence and I pointed out that it is not unusual, otherwise religion would not exist.

The implication isn't just that religion would not exist, but also that people would not believe claims that are presented as facts, yet those claims remain unsubstantiated by the absence of evidence. In other words - as I said from near the very beginning of this thread -

People believe what they want to believe, because it suits them, and fits neatly into their already formed prejudices and biases. The longer they hold those prejudices and biases, the more difficult it is for them to accept factual information. They don't want to believe that anything they've believed up to now may actually be wrong. Cognitive dissonance, not just a religious phenomenon.

volchitsa wrote: »
    Umm. You do realize that's fiction?

You ask that as though I suggested the story was factual? Y'know, if you're going to accuse me of dishonest posting, yet again for the third time - beam in your own eye much?

There's no actual instance where a small boy realized what all the adults were unable to see. Oh, and also, the adults all knew it really too, but were just too polite, or possibly afraid of the Emperor's security staff, to say so.

I'm familiar with the story, but I appreciate you posting it for the benefit of others that aren't. The point in asking Fleawuss was he familiar with the story, was because his post was quite similar in fashion to the story itself, that only intelligent people could see the things that nobody else seemed to be seeing -
    The fact that intelligent adults can see that the thing gives rise to confusion is very clear and indisputable. Of course, trying to generate dispute about that is what we might call a smoke screen.

A vain Emperor who cares about nothing except wearing and displaying clothes hires two weavers who promise him the finest, best suit of clothes from a fabric invisible to anyone who is unfit for his position or "hopelessly stupid". The Emperor's ministers cannot see the clothes themselves, but pretend that they can for fear of appearing unfit for their positions and the Emperor does the same. Finally the weavers report that the suit is finished, they mime dressing him and the Emperor marches in procession before his subjects. The townsfolk play along with the pretense, not wanting to appear unfit for their positions or stupid. Then a child in the crowd, too young to understand the desirability of keeping up the pretense, blurts out that the Emperor is wearing nothing at all and the cry is taken up by others. The Emperor suspects the assertion is true, but continues the procession.

The implication being that anyone who does not see what Fleawuss, an intelligent adult sees, must mean that those adults aren't intelligent enough to see it.

So you appear to be saying is that adults who claim to believe that the Mary remained a virgin all her life are either lying or stupid. I know the first is not true, I know lots of adults (now mostly old or dead though) who literally believed that all their life. Perhaps they were all just stupid then, in which case according to your theory Ireland's average IQ must have shown a staggering rise in the last 20 years. Since most people stopped believing in religion in fact.

So you appear to want to move the goalposts again and move onto something else entirely. Y'know, if you're going to accuse me of dodging...

Anyway, if I may borrow Kiwi's post, as Kiwi makes the same claim you have done -
    Ditto for religion. Hence why non religious people don't want religion presented to their children as fact, as currently happens in state funded educational institutions.

Could you provide me with evidence for your claim that religion is currently presented as fact in Irish state funded educational institutions?

Our experience coincides. The most closed minds in my experience are those who base themselves in faith before reason.

Indeed, and yet here we have adults basing themselves in faith before reason, evidenced by the fact that not one poster yet, has been able to show any evidence that religious beliefs are taught as fact in Irish State funded educational institutions. They have no evidence for this belief, and yet many of them are still adamant that this belief is a fact, even though they have yet to produce any evidence to back up that claim!

Do people simply take this claim at face value because someone told them and they believe it to be true, and therefore by their reasoning - it must be a fact? That sounds like the definition of an unreasonable belief based upon faith, to me at least.

Another fairy tale. :pac:

I never suggested it was anything but a story. I asked you were you familiar with the story, because I already know it's a fairy tale, and if you were familiar with the story, you would know it was a fairy tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Could you provide me with evidence for your claim that religion is currently presented as fact in Irish state funded educational institutions?

I said I had gone away, but really! Ok, non bible religious belief.

My daughter (5 or 6ish) came home from school one day and said 'Sister says there are devils living under the ground.' She seemed to be under the impression this was a fact, however Sister had phrased it.

On another occasion (different school) they both came home and said 'Mrs X says that if people marry people who are not Catholics, the person who is not a Catholic will go away and leave them (the family). You're not going to leave us, are you mum?'

Then there are all the bible stories. Do teachers start the story of the Nativity with 'now we believe that Jesus was born ...etc'. No, they start with 'Jesus was born...'

And finally, just read the infrmation page about the annunciation on the first page of this thread. It clearly and unambiguously states as fact the story of the annunciation. The only place it wavers from fact is when it talks about belief in original sin - Catholics believe....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

If Catholic schools are so keen to present Catholicism as a possibility for consideration and not as fact, why don't they spend an equal amount of time teaching the possible facts of Islam, Buddhism and atheism?

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    I said I had gone away, but really! Ok, non bible religious belief.

Hell if Jesus can do it... :p

looksee wrote: »
    My daughter (5 or 6ish) came home from school one day and said 'Sister says there are devils living under the ground.' She seemed to be under the impression this was a fact, however Sister had phrased it.

On another occasion (different school) they both came home and said 'Mrs X says that if people marry people who are not Catholics, the person who is not a Catholic will go away and leave them (the family). You're not going to leave us, are you mum?'

I'm sure you're already more than aware of the problems with anecdotal evidence in fairness, but for those that aren't -

Anecdotal evidence (also proof by selected instances, or, more pejoratively, anecdata) is use of one or more anecdotes (specific instances of an event; stories) to either support or refute a claim. The use of anecdotal evidence to draw a conclusion is like using the NBA all-star teams to estimate the average height of Americans.

Whereas anecdotal evidence is sometimes the starting point of a proper scientific investigation, it is all too often the ending point and every point of a pseudoscientific investigation. In the world of pseudoscience, an anecdote is the equivalent of a peer-reviewed, double-blind, repeatable scientific experiment with consistent results. In other words, the true believers accept that just because something once seemed to work for someone then it will work for everyone, everywhere, every time!

Anecdotal evidence is often used in politics, journalism, blogs and many other contexts to make or imply generalisations based on very limited and cherry-picked examples, rather than reliable statistical studies. A classic instance was Ronald Reagan's story of a "welfare queen" who was abusing the system, who Reagan attempted to portray as indicative of the average welfare recipient. It turned out she didn't even exist when some reporters finally decided to look for her.

Anecdotal evidence is especially vulnerable to confabulation.
    Remember: the plural of "anecdote" is not "data".

Source: Anecdotal evidence, RationalWiki.

Then there are all the bible stories. Do teachers start the story of the Nativity with 'now we believe that Jesus was born ...etc'. No, they start with 'Jesus was born...'

And finally, just read the infrmation page about the annunciation on the first page of this thread. It clearly and unambiguously states as fact the story of the annunciation. The only place it wavers from fact is when it talks about belief in original sin - Catholics believe....

Both are examples of faith formation.

We don't start fairy tales with the All persons fictitious disclaimer either -

All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

In introducing the new religious education curriculum for Catholic primary schools, it's quite clear that the focus is on faith, as opposed to trying to pass faith off as factual -

The Catholic Preschool and Primary Religious Education Curriculum for Ireland (2015) was approved by the Irish Episcopal Conference and granted the Decree of Recognitio by the Holy See in 2015. It is the curriculum from which Grow in Love, the new Religious Education series for Catholic primary schools, is written.

The aim of the Catholic Preschool and Primary Religious Education Curriculum is: ‘To help children mature in relation to their spiritual, moral and religious lives, through their encounter with, exploration and celebration of the Catholic faith’.

The content of this curriculum is divided into four interrelated strands: Christian Faith; Word of God; Liturgy and Prayer; and Christian Morality. Together, these four strands outline the knowledge and understanding, skills and processes that make up the learning to be achieved at each level of the curriculum. The curriculum also outlines skills of religious literacy which should be developed in students from preschool right up to Sixth class/P7. These are divided into five categories: understanding, communicating, participating, developing spiritual literacy and developing inter-religious literacy.

Conscious of the needs of teachers working with children with moderate, severe and profound general learning disabilities, the Catholic Preschool and Primary Religious Education Curriculum also includes Guidelines for teachers in Special Schools. The Catholic Preschool and Primary Religious Education Curriculum for Ireland is an important document for every primary school teacher.

Source: Catholic Preschool and Primary Religious Education Curriculum for Ireland (2015)
    But we cannot outsource education in Christian faith to teachers alone. Family involvement is crucial. I make my own words spoken in an important address at the weekend by Archbishop Eamon Martin at the National Eucharistic Congress: “A school catechetical programme alone, no matter how rigorous, will not secure the handing on of the faith. It will succeed only insofar as it builds upon the lived faith experience of the young people in their homes and family.” The new programme, Grow in Love, has taken great care to emphasise the role of the family, offering a simple and attractive book to be brought home so that the family can continue what has done in school. This book offers opportunities for parents to review and chat with their children about the themes that have been covered in school.

Source: Launch of new Catholic religious education curriculum and programme

I see no evidence there of any attempt to teach religious beliefs as fact. The Irish Catholic Bishops are responsible for the religious education curriculum in Irish primary schools, and if they're making no mention of religious beliefs to be taught as facts, well, I would be quite eager to see anyone present any irrefutable, non-anecdotal evidence, for their claims that religious beliefs actually are taught as facts, in Irish Catholic ethos primary schools.

I can't find who said it in the thread now, but there was mention of the RCC being unable to admit that they may have got it wrong. It appears evident that one doesn't have to be a member of an organised religion to be unwilling to admit when they may have got it wrong. At least volchista to her credit, when I corrected her on her claim that I had at some point claimed to be atheist, came so far as to admit it was an easy mistake to make.

It wasn't really. It was an easy mistake to make if one is in the habit of forming judgements without evidence based upon their own preconceived ideas. That's the very definition of prejudice -
    an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭swampgas

In introducing the new religious education curriculum for Catholic primary schools, it's quite clear that the focus is on faith, as opposed to trying to pass faith off as factual -

I see no evidence there of any attempt to teach religious beliefs as fact. The Irish Catholic Bishops are responsible for the religious education curriculum in Irish primary schools, and if they're making no mention of religious beliefs to be taught as facts, well, I would be quite eager to see anyone present any irrefutable, non-anecdotal evidence, for their claims that religious beliefs actually are taught as facts, in Irish Catholic ethos primary schools.

I really think this is quite bizarre - surely the whole point of faith is that you accept that something is true even if there is no solid evidence for it?

Calling something a fact is something that most people consider synonymous with calling something true. However the inherent contradictions of religious belief seem to require you to compartmentalise your mental world into the real world of "facts" and the faith world of "truths".

I'm afraid the division is only in your imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭looksee

^^^^^ what he said

Bizarre, yes that's a good word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

robindch wrote: »
    The children are not "catholic" and the schools are not "catholic".

The kids are innocent, gullible people whose innocence and gullibility are abused by people who say they know better, but clearly do not.

The schools are state-run and state-funded institutions which are controlled by senior catholic people for the long-term benefit of their religious views.

This constitutes misuse of religious privilege at state level, and open abuse of the innocence and trust of children.

Well said.

swampgas wrote: »
    I really think this is quite bizarre - surely the whole point of faith is that you accept that something is true even if there is no solid evidence for it?

I agree with that much.

Calling something a fact is something that most people consider synonymous with calling something true.

Therein lies the problem - most people considering something to be true, does not mean that it is a fact. The idea that the earth was flat for example was a long held belief that many people accepted as true, but we now know that it is a fact that the earth was never flat.

However the inherent contradictions of religious belief seem to require you to compartmentalise your mental world into the real world of "facts" and the faith world of "truths".

I agree with that much.

I'm afraid the division is only in your imagination.

The division is in my imagination, but the distinction, and the difference, between a fact and a truth, is not just in my imagination, because they are two distinct, different, but related concepts -

It seems to me that the words Truth and Fact are often used interchangeably. I posit that there is a very significant difference between Fact and Truth, and that using them synonymously is a fallacy to be consciously avoided. I've come to understand the difference between Fact and Truth as this:

A fact is a reality that cannot be logically disputed or rejected. If I say "fire is hot," I don't care how great your reasoning skills are, if you touch fire your skin will burn (and don't give me that "but people can walk on hot coals!" bull. There's a difference between the transfer of heat through conduction and training one's body to deal with the agonizing pain of said conduction). Now when I say this, I am not speaking a truth, I am speaking a fact. If you say "fire is not hot," you are not lying, you are incorrect. Facts are concrete realities that no amount of reasoning will change. When one acknowledges a fact, they are doing just that. Facts are not discovered, facts are not created, facts are simply acknowledged.

A truth on the other hand, is almost the opposite. Truths are those things that are not simply acknowledged, but must be discovered, or created. If I say "God exists," and I possess strong reasoning for the affirmative of that statement, then God really does exist, that is a reality. However, if another individual possesses strong reasoning for the negative, and because of this reasoning they believe that God does not exist, then that is also a reality. If we were to debate our ideologies, and my reasoning appeared stronger than theirs, they may choose to adopt my belief that God does exist. If they do, then the existence of God is just as true as the nonexistence of God which they believed a week ago. Truths, as opposed to fact, are much more fluid and malleable than their empirical counterparts.

Now, facts may often be used to substantiate one's assertions on certain truths, and truths may be used to help us better understand certain facts. However, to assert a fact as a truth, or a truth as a fact, is backwards thinking, and antithetical to intelligible progress.

I know this may seem obvious to some, but I see plenty of people on this site, and in real life misjudging the values of certain assertions based on this misconception. I myself must be constantly reminded of this concept, as it's easy to let them sort of run together when caught up in the insatiable quest for knowledge. I just wanted to point out what I've figured to be the pitfalls of that assumption, and see what other people think of this notion.

Source: A Distinction between Fact and Truth

What is the clear difference between a fact and a truth? Well, if you look into most dictionaries, you will be amazed to find that the two words are actually very close in terms of their definitions. This is because the two terms are very much related. That’s why you really can’t blame people for recognizing both as similar terms.

Fact is basically something that exists, or is present in reality. Hence, these are things that can be seen visually, and these are the things that can actually be verified. Facts are objective matters rather than subjective ones. It is not just something that you believe, but rather these are more or less the things that can be observed empirically, or by the senses. So, facts can be seen and heard, as well as proven by the other senses.

Truth can be described as the true state of a certain matter, may it be a person, a place, a thing or an event. It is what a person has come to believe. If he believes that something is true, then it is true. It also answers the questions of what’s really happening. In the technical sense, facts can answer certain ‘why’ questions, like ‘where’ or ‘when’, and even ‘how’, while truth answers the question ‘why’. The question of ‘how’, and even ‘what’, are said to be answerable by either of the two.

In terms of permanence, a fact happens to be more permanent, and almost always seems to have no changes. It is more constant than truths. For example, when you say that the sun will always rise from the east and set in the west, you are telling a fact, but when you say that you are in Los Angeles, then that is a truth, at least for that exact moment. Several hours from that time you may have gone somewhere else, making your previous statement a fallacy. Thus, a truth is something that is not universal, it is more subjective, and depends on the current situation. That’s why the truth’s existence is said to be more temporary than that of facts.

1. Facts are more objective when compared to the more subjective truths.
    2. Facts are more permanent when compared to the more temporary truths.
    3. Facts exist in reality, whereas truths are usually the things that one believes to be true, or the things that are true in the current situation.
    4. Facts can also answer the ‘where,’ ‘when’ and ‘how’ questions, whereas truths answer the ‘why’ question.

Source: Difference Between Fact and Truth

1. Facts are more objective when compared to the more subjective truths.
    2. Facts are more permanent when compared to the more temporary truths.
    3. Facts exist in reality, whereas truths are usually the things that one believes to be true, or the things that are true in the current situation.
    4. Facts can also answer the ‘where,’ ‘when’ and ‘how’ questions, whereas truths answer the ‘why’ question.
    Well there's a concrete definition that isn't open to completely ad hoc personal interpretation... So God is a truth but not a fact? Er, yeah. Deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭swampgas

Therein lies the problem - most people considering something to be true, does not mean that it is a fact. The idea that the earth was flat for example was a long held belief that many people accepted as true, but we now know that it is a fact that the earth was never flat.

And yet a teacher of the day in a primitive tribe that did indeed believe the world was flat would have told the children of the tribe that the world was flat as a fact, and he or she would also have asserted it as the truth. And most people would have no problem with that particular use of the words "fact" and "truth".

You can re-assign the word "truth" to mean "what facts tend towards over time as we learn more", but that's getting miles away from the fact that in RCC schools infant children are having Bible stories taught to them as true stories - not as fables or myth, but as real stories about real people.

In fact an RCC school that didn't do that wouldn't be be showing much faith in the dogma it claims to uphold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Ok. Lets also ban Hansel and Gretel; a clear case of child abandonment. Let's ban Little Red Riding Hood; a predator stalking a little girl.
    These other myths give the opposite message; beware of the predator who appears as a trusted figure. Its OK to say NO.
    It is a story in which Mary is told she has been chosen for this role, she says yes to it, she is not enticed with promises or "groomed" as an earlier poster claimed. She can say no. I think it's important that it's highlighted that she says yes and chose this fate herself. ...
    The whole point of this story is that she trusted what she was told, and not what she felt inside.
    At no point would I have ever confused that message with "it's right to do what a stranger who appears in the night says even if it makes me uncomfortable". .... In this story Mary exercises her right to bodily integrity with her yes.
    I presume you are much older than 6 yrs now, so in fairness, you can't honestly say now, looking back, that you definitely would not have been influenced by this stuff as a 6 or 7 year old. Its difficult to think like a 6 yr old unless you are one.
    Sending mixed messages to that age group is dangerous.

I'm only seeing this now as I went back through the thread -

It's noticeable that none of the posters giving OEJ likes for his dogged defence of the Catholic Church

If I actually gave a fiddlers for validation from strangers on the internet (as you seem to do, which is as I said earlier something I discourage in children), I might be worried about who does or doesn't like my posts (or anyone else's for that matter).

Second part in bold there, too much to ask you to present evidence to back up that claim?

have gone as far as supporting him in his claim that theological basics such as the Annunciation, the Virgin Birth and transubstantiation are not meant to be taken literally, by adults or by children.

And again, evidence to back up your claim?

I wonder why that is?

I'm sure you're more than aware by now of the difficulty in supporting something that simply doesn't exist outside your own imagination. Perhaps that's why they cannot seem to support claims I never made, claims that you claim I made, but nevertheless I shan't hold my breath for any evidence at this point.

Presumably because they all know he's lying

That's a couple of times now you've accused me of being a liar, unfit to be a parent, accused me of child neglect, accused me of being ignorant of my own religion, accused me of not knowing what children are taught in religion classes and posting falsehoods about what it consists of...

Is there anything else you'd like to add to that list?

The funny thing is that he can't see that repeating this sort of nonsense only makes him less credible, because we've all been to religion class! (Well I have anyway). :D

What's funny about that? You've shot your own credibility to shít with nothing but ad homs, personal insults, snide remarks, baseless accusations, and quite frankly, your arrogance is so almighty that I haven't seen anything like it since... well, I've never seen anything like it if I'm being honest, not even in religion class!

At some point volchista, you're going to have to produce evidence for your claims, so any time you feel like doing that, I'd really appreciate it, instead of you trying to take another adultish swipe.

(I say adultish, because that kind of arrogance fuelled prejudice is something I don't often witness among children, and even then it can usually be traced back to their parents)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Look, OEJ, I know, and you know, and everyone here knows, that the Catholic Church teaches a certain number of things as FACTS. Transubstantiation is one. The virginity of Mary is another.

If that wasn't the case you wouldn't be so alone in saying so, some of your supporters who e been thanking you would be sure to have confirmed what you say. None of them have done. And none of them will.

Now I've already linked to official catholic sites that said so, and you've both dismissed them because, you said, Irish schools don't teach that (so you're the one making the assertions without bringing any evidence, not me) and yet also accepted that what they said was correct.

I realize that you think you're making some clever play on words that allows you to claim that, for example, transubstantiation is now a "truth" and not a "fact" but in doing so, you are not being true to catholic theology.

And everybody here knows that. For someone who claims to be a Catholic, being seen to dissemble so transparently in order to defend a stupid misstep by the publishers of the new program, presumably just because anything that has the official imprimatur gets your dogged defense no matter how unfortunately put, really doesn't help the image of the Catholic Church in terms of its approach to child protection.

I began by assuming that this was an unfortunate example of cloth ear. But your refusal even to be honest about what children are being taught makes me wonder if there isn't more going on than I first thought.

And now I really have finished. Yes, you're lying. Sometimes, just occasionally, it does need to be said.

Just one last thing though : if you don't "need validation" from others, as you keep repeating, why are you even still here arguing the point? Bit contradictory, surely? :D

• Advertisement

And yet a teacher of the day in a primitive tribe that did indeed believe the world was flat would have told the children of the tribe that the world was flat as a fact, and he or she would also have asserted it as the truth. And most people would have no problem with that particular use of the words "fact" and "truth".

And most people would be incorrect in their misunderstanding of the difference between the two.

You can re-assign the word "truth" to mean "what facts tend towards over time as we learn more", but that's getting miles away from the fact that in RCC schools infant children are having Bible stories taught to them as true stories - not as fables or myth, but as real stories about real people.

I'm not reassigning words at all, and in fact I've stated as much that religious beliefs are taught as truth in Catholic ethos schools. Some people actually have massive problems with their idea that the truth of the RCC is being taught as fact in RC ethos schools, so the fact is that they do have a problem with the particular use of the words which they take to mean the same thing. That would be their misunderstanding, which is their responsibility to learn the difference and the distinction between the two.

Six year old children are able to wrap their heads around the two different concepts. It's adults seem to struggle with them, or indeed dismiss the difference as bizarre, rejecting it out of hand and refusing to accept that what they've known all this time, may in fact, be incorrect.

In fact an RCC school that didn't do that wouldn't be be showing much faith in the dogma it claims to uphold.

Well yes, that much we can agree on.

I'm not reassigning words at all, and in fact I've stated as much that religious beliefs are taught as truth in Catholic ethos schools. Some people actually have massive problems with their idea that the truth of the RCC is being taught as fact in RC ethos schools, so the fact is that they do have a problem with the particular use of the words which they take to mean the same thing. That would be their misunderstanding, which is their responsibility to learn the difference and the distinction between the two.
    Are you sure you don't mean "in truth" every time you say "in fact"?

Look, OEJ, I know, and you know, and everyone here knows, that the Catholic Church teaches a certain number of things as FACTS. Transubstantiation is one. The virginity of Mary is another.

Please don't try to speak for me or what I know and don't know, you've done enough of that already and you've "made mistakes" a number of times now. Your ignorance of Roman Catholicism is not my problem.

If that wasn't the case you wouldn't be so alone in saying so, some of your supporters who e been thanking you would be sure to have confirmed what you say. None of them have done. And none of them will.

Just leave this here, shall I?

ad populum fallacy

The ad populum fallacy is the appeal to the popularity of a claim as a reason for accepting it.

The number of people who believe a claim is irrelevant to its truth. Fifty million people can be wrong. In fact, millions of people have been wrong about many things: that the Earth is flat and motionless, for example, and that the stars are lights shining through holes in the sky.

The ad populum fallacy is also referred to as the bandwagon fallacy, the appeal to the mob, the democratic fallacy, and the appeal to popularity.

The ad populum fallacy is seductive because it appeals to our desire to belong and to conform, to our desire for security and safety. It is a common appeal in advertising and politics. A clever manipulator of the masses will try to seduce those who blithely assume that the majority is always right. Also seduced by this appeal will be the insecure, who may be made to feel guilty if they oppose the majority or feel strong by joining forces with large numbers of other uncritical thinkers.

Source: The Skeptic's Dictionary

Now I've already linked to official catholic sites that said so, and you've both dismissed them because, you said, Irish schools don't teach that (so you're the one making the assertions without bringing any evidence, not me) and yet also accepted that what they said was correct.

Ease up there before you lose the run of yourself. You made a claim that religious beliefs are taught as fact in Irish Catholic ethos primary schools. I asked you for evidence of your claim. You linked to this website -

http://www.newadvent.org/

claiming it was an official website of the RCC, and claimed that it backed up your claim that religion is taught as fact in Irish Catholic ethos primary schools. There's a few problems with your claims there -

1. New Advent is maintained by a Catholic layman named Kevin Knight.

and

2. It doesn't mention anything about how religion is taught in Irish Catholic ethos schools.

and

3. I said no such thing as "Irish schools don't teach that" in response to your "evidence". I pointed out the fact that your evidence does not back up your claims.

I realize that you think you're making some clever play on words that allows you to claim that, for example, transubstantiation is now a "truth" and not a "fact" but in doing so, you are not being true to catholic theology.

I never made any claims about catholic theology (it's like you're reading words that aren't even there?), and I've already told you that I detest weasel worded behaviour, and what you actually think you realise, and what I know, are two very different things. You may think you can read my mind, but unless you have some unusual telepathic abilities I'm unaware of, you're really only guessing and making assumptions, and your judgement so far has been shown to be poor, since we're both being honest with each other.

And everybody here knows that.

See ad populum fallacy explanation above.

For someone who claims to be a Catholic, being seen to dissemble so transparently in order to defend a stupid misstep by the publishers of the new program, presumably just because anything that has the official imprimatur gets your dogged defense no matter how unfortunately put, really doesn't help the image of the Catholic Church in terms of its approach to child protection.

Sorry, what? Someone in Atheist Ireland publishes that shít, and you think the issue is with who exactly? And you think I'm defending who exactly?

Seriously, you really need to start reading my posts. I have not once defenced the RCC, I have attacked that article linked to in the OP for it's claims, and I have atttacked your quite frankly ridiculous claims. That's not defending the RCC, that's asking you to provide evidence for your claims instead of attacking me. Play the ball, not the man, you know how an ad hom works. This is bloody basic 101 logic and critical thought.

I began by assuming that this was an unfortunate example of cloth ear. But your refusal even to be honest about what children are being taught makes me wonder if there isn't more going on than I first thought.

Makes me wonder what you mean by that statement? I am being honest about what children are taught in school. You just don't like the answers you're hearing as they contradict your long held prejudiced misguided beliefs.

And now I really have finished. Yes, you're lying. Sometimes, just occasionally, it does need to be said.

Please, by all means, if you think I'm lying, I'd like to see what evidence you have to make that claim. You haven't been doing so well in producing any evidence so far, perhaps because you've been too busy attacking me personally instead of actually reading my posts.

Just one last thing though : if you don't "need validation" from others, as you keep repeating, why are you even still here arguing the point? Bit contradictory, surely? :D

Are you being serious? In the same bloody post, you say you've finished, and then you come back with one last thing, and then you call me contradictory?

Jesus fcuking wept!

No need for any inverted commas btw, I'm here because I am interested in the discussion, as I have explained to you numerous times already, but it seems you've been paying about as much attention to the ongoing discussion as you did in religion class, which is to say - not a whole bloody lot.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

"what is truth?"

Is it beauty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Absolam wrote: »
    Is it beauty?

I suppose theres a certain beauty in magic tricks too. 'allakazammmm your pregnant with gods child'. Was Joseph filled in about this before hand?

Is it some peoples contention here that a spirit came and told a married woman she was going to be inseminated by a god later on. She had to think about it and then said 'sure why not'?

If you believe that as truth then thats your nutty business.... but if your telling kids that as truth then thats a bit ott.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    I suppose theres a certain beauty in magic tricks too. 'allakazammmm your pregnant with gods child'. Was Joseph filled in about this before hand?

Is it some peoples contention here that a spirit came and told a married woman she was going to be inseminated by a god later on. She had to think about it and then said 'sure why not'?

If you believe that as truth then thats your nutty business.... but if your telling kids that as truth then thats a bit ott.

No, but he was told about it afterwards, according to Matthew. I would imagine that there are few options open to the man cuckolded by a deity.

Not sure if cuckold is the right term, actually; can one be cuckolded by an allegedly penisless spirit?

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    And other people are contending that after reading a story a child would mistake a person in their home for a god and feel obliged to engage in sexual acts with them.
    Both contentions seem improbable.....

pauldla wrote: »
    No, but he was told about it afterwards, according to Matthew. I would imagine that there are few options open to the man cuckolded by a deity.
    Not sure if cuckold is the right term, actually; can one be cuckolded by an allegedly penisless spirit?
    Can he be said to have been cuckolded at all if Mary remained a virgin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

Absolam wrote: »
    Can he be said to have been cuckolded at all if Mary remained a virgin?

The fact that Mary still claims she's a virgin only adds to him being cuckolded and being a bit dim.

Advertisement