Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs Argentina, Millenium Stadium, KO: 13:00 [MOD WARNING POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I'm definitely slipping into the complacency side of things, I think we'll win it with a bit to spare.

And then I read all the pundits and they tell me it's going to be so close, its 50/50.

Then I think that we only beat France by 15 points; and we were amazing, best game ever, and they were awful...for whatever reason.

Not sure what to think. I hope with Joe's astuteness that we can negate their attacking threat. If Sexton starts I think we'll win, but I'm not going to believe that he will until he has 10 on his back for the anthems.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'm definitely slipping into the complacency side of things, I think we'll win it with a bit to spare.

And then I read all the pundits and they tell me it's going to be so close, its 50/50.

Then I think that we only beat France by 15 points; and we were amazing, best game ever, and they were awful...for whatever reason.

Not sure what to think. I hope with Joe's astuteness that we can negate their attacking threat. If Sexton starts I think we'll win, but I'm not going to believe that he will until he has 10 on his back for the anthems.

Beating France by 15 points was massive. They may have been poor but that's mostly down to us. It's test footy amongst the big teams, score lines like that are rare enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Moving this over from the (now closed) build up thread:

https://twitter.com/WhiffofCordite/status/655317287042424832

Just a hunch, so no need to panic...

...yet

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

In Joe we trust!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I'm hearing Sexton out of RWC. Hope it isn't so.

• Advertisement

Source?

That tweet I posted is the only thing I can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Confident we will win tomorrow.
    - Solid scrum
    - Solid lineout
    - Best defence and discipline in rugby based on points conceded and tackles made
    - Best rucking team
    - Best on restarts and contesting high ball
    We make hardly any errors in all of above.
    Then add in ball carriers like Henderson, Healy, Henshaw, Kearneys.
    There are no weaknesses in terms of winning the posession battle. Meaning we dont need to be brilliant with running rugby. We only need usually about 19 pts to win our games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

I find that Whiff of cordite is normally spot on, so I'm a little worried :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It sounds stupid, but I'd be more comfortable with Madigan coming in late, than if he'd been named a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

We need sources urgently!!!!

• Advertisement

This reminds me of a situation with Leinster last season with (I think) Kearney where everyone knew he wasn't going to be playing but MOC had him on the teamsheet and then right before the game said he wasn't going to be available.

I don't think Sexton is on the teamsheet if there is no way he can start, I'd say it's a "hope he is better by Sunday" sort of situation. Not sure if anyone outside the squad knows anymore than that.

Keep the Puma's guessing I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Nothing on this from anyone reliable really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Nothing on this from anyone reliable really

Depends on whom you consider reliable?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Citation needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Here's a mad question. If they're preparing for Sexton to be unavailable from the beginning, what are the odds Jackson starts at 10?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Well he did a "modified" training session yesterday, which suggests he's not fit. We should hear today if he takes a full part in the captain's run.

And can we please stop posting rumours with no source folks. Bans were handed out for similar during the SOB hearing saga. If the mods think someone is posting rumours to cause trouble bans will be handed out.

Here's a mad question. If they're preparing for Sexton to be unavailable from the beginning, what are the odds Jackson starts at 10?
    Very high odds. If Madigan is fit 50/1+.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ken76

Word on irish thread on planet rugby Is sexton is out of wc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

When Joe managed Leinster, pretty much every major game featured a "will he won't he" saga featuring one or other of his big game players, almost always culminating in them playing, It's all bluff; get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

After Madigan's performance last week I'd say the chances are very slim.

• Advertisement

Although heavily strapped, he looked pretty good in the captain's run yesterday
    ||
    INPHO_00980995.jpg|INPHO_00981006.jpg|INPHO_00981052.jpg

After Madigan's performance last week I'd say the chances are very slim.
    Agree you have to reward performance. Else you sow discontent.

Obviously I don't know myself, but the people posting there who have got a lot of things correct when it comes to inside info so far, seem certain that he is out of WC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭shano_88

Where are the rumours coming from?

Alot of people talking about it on twitter but nothing really credible.

Planet Rugby is not a reliable source. They were saying 3 weeks for O'Brien.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ireland:
    15 Rob Kearney, 14 Tommy Bowe, 13 Keith Earls, 12 Robbie Henshaw, 11 Dave Kearney, 10 Johnny Sexton, 9 Conor Murray,
    8 Jamie Heaslip (c), 7 Chris Henry, 6 Jordi Murphy, 5 Iain Henderson, 4 Devin Toner, 3 Mike Ross, 2 Rory Best, 1 Cian Healy

Replacements: 16 Richardt Strauss, 17 Jack McGrath, 18 Nathan White, 19 Donnacha Ryan, 20 Rhys Ruddock, 21 Eoin Reddan, 22 Ian Madigan, 23 Luke Fitzgerald

Here was the team that played Wales 4 years ago:

15 Robert Kearney, 14 Tommy Bowe, 13 Brian O'Driscoll (capt), 12 Gordon D'Arcy, 11 Keith Earls, 10 Ronan O'Gara, 9 Conor Murray,
    8 Jamie Heaslip, 7 Sean O'Brien, 6 Stephen Ferris, 5 Paul O'Connell, 4 Donncha O'Callaghan, 3 Mike Ross, 2 Rory Best, 1 Cian Healy.

Replacements: 16 Sean Cronin, 17 Tom Court, 18 Donnacha Ryan, 19 Denis Leamy, 20 Eoin Reddan, 21 Jonathan Sexton, 22 Andrew Trimble.

12 survivors in all, not including POC and SOB who would be playing if available.

shano_88 wrote: »
    Where are the rumours coming from?

Alot of people talking about it on twitter but nothing really credible.

Seems like a twitter Chinese whispers sort of thing. Starts with (maybe) WOC saying he has a hunch and turns into 'out of the RWC'.

Yep, lot of wind-up merchants over there. Stopped going there a long time ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Good point. I think these are just rumours, and best ignored for now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement