Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sryanonese: A brand new language

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Sorry but are you forgetting I'm still writing the language? I know all basic stuff in Sryanonese which is literally what I'm doing. There are so many basic words to make before I move onto words such as adolescent or enthusiasm.

Okay.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Interesting thread.

Out of curiosity, how much of the language have you built so far? You may not have a word count, but perhaps a list of topics that you can use your language to discuss?

Another question, what is your pronunciation convention? A lot seems heavily derived from Irish - is that generally the case?

Finally, what made you decide to make your own language? You mention a background in French and Irish, do you speak any other languages? Or either of those fluently?

I'd just like to add that for a teen you're doing very well so far. It might be worth reading up on linguistics and etymology in general, see how they apply to other languages you speak, and then use those skills and ideas to improve your language.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Things I've wrote so far

Pronouns
    Numbers
    Sports
    Prepositions
    Adjectives
    Tenses
    Question words
    Irregular verbs (10 now out of 23)
    Seasons
    Months of the year
    Days of the week
    Conjunctions
    Everyday questions
    Greetings
    Regular verbs (approximately 36 conjugated and 44 named)
    Modal verbs (1 out of 4 conjugated - they're very hard)
    Types of schools
    School subjects
    Transport
    Directions
    Holidays
    Music genres
    Music instruments
    Verbal nouns
    Plurals (I said this already but plurals hardly require effort of how easy they are)
    Meats
    Phrases (I have done 1 good phrase, I must work on them more) (The phrase is Dest stearíon goode líon ton hial liev - A good start is half the battle) (though it literally translates as "is to start good a the half battle)
    Illnesses / Diseases
    Body parts
    Colours
    Clothes
    Fruits
    Time of day
    Telling the clock
    Countries
    The negative response (so like, "can't" or "don't")
    Possessions (so like "yours" or "mine")
    The comparative adjective
    The superlative adjective
    Indefinite article
    Weather
    Jobs / Occupations
    Facilities

Next thing I will do is Animals. Feel free to add in suggestions of a topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Then it's exercise - happy? :mad:

Yes "scam" as in look through. I already am promoting through friends and I am only a teen - I can't promote big yet! Any translations you will need can be done at this translator and any new words are thrown into it as soon as I make them

http://lingojam.com/Sryanonese

And any sentences you ask for to translate, it helps me a lot and the sentences are added to the translator such as the one sonny.knowles asked

I think the word you are looking for is scan rather than scam, there is a quite significant difference.

There is no reason to be 'mad' at accepting this is an exercise, its very good mental exercise to do something like this. I would be more concerned if you thought it was going to be established as a regular language. A number of people have written new languages, including Tolkien, who also started in his teens.

I think it is comparable to painting a picture or writing a piece of music.

Interesting thread.

Out of curiosity, how much of the language have you built so far? You may not have a word count, but perhaps a list of topics that you can use your language to discuss?

Another question, what is your pronunciation convention? A lot seems heavily derived from Irish - is that generally the case?

Finally, what made you decide to make your own language? You mention a background in French and Irish, do you speak any other languages? Or either of those fluently?

I'd just like to add that for a teen you're doing very well so far. It might be worth reading up on linguistics and etymology in general, see how they apply to other languages you speak, and then use those skills and ideas to improve your language.

Best of luck!

No, that is not the case :cool:. And in Sryanonese, we don't use the word "fada" to describe this symbol that is on the á. We say (well I :D) it is called a sound emphasiser as it puts an emphasis on the letter. Like you don't just say í (ee) you say as it is actually 3 ees - so it makes it longer. A big reason why Sryanonese is not heavily copying Irish is that, there are no eclipses (úrús) or aspirations (séimhiús). I would be fluent into spelling if there was such a language :D as I always got A+ at the top of a spelling test whether it is English, Irish or French - the three languages I learn. Well in first year, I was taught a bit of Spanish after Halloween. Then in the January, we chose the language we wanted to learn, French was my choice! And I love it! Irish I love as a language but it's so hard because of how the way it is taught. I would be fluent into Irish at this stage if it weren't so horrifically taught. After all in primary, everybody used to say Seán (my birth name, though I much prefer Sryan, though it is just my stage name) how are you so good at Irish? Back then, I used to very rarely make a mistake in Irish and I also enjoyed doing it! Why? Because I was being taught properly. The secondary school Irish course needs to change! I have forgotten about nearly everything I learnt in primary thanks to secondary stressing me over crap like Poetry or Short Stories which I haven't clue what I'm writing down. I know French a good bit as I also went to France and spoke it among people during my holidays in Paris. I am already trying to improve things such as some of the vocabulary in the topics as some of them are so hard to even memorize - so I'm making things a bit easier. Only to suggest - it could change OR not (like I'm not doing with the irregular verbs), feel free to throw in stuff you think should be changed as I give a new topic(s) everyday. Another way to show I'm not heavily copying Irish is because, the Future Tense doesn't have endings and is regular except for the verb Tias which I've already mentioned how to do.

• Advertisement

These were originally exercises in my powerpoint for Sryanonese but I'll give them here as simple sentences.

Regular verbs (R) / Irregular verbs (IR)

1. I thought I was six
    Uai tíochí tura s'hout (R)
    2. I play the Guitar
    Uai siope ton Gitó (IR)
    3. I am fifteen
    Uai tia s'quern (IR)
    4. I like Music
    Uai mím Singeanta (IR)
    5. I fight you
    Uai baeníil phai (R)
    6. You caught the football
    Phai cathiasu ton foutetó (R)
    7. What is your name?
    Si-even nu ti reen?
    8. Are you well?
    Phai í esuyp?
    9. What do you like to do?
    Si-even res phai míon toogias?
    10. Do you like History?
    Res phai míon Yitz? - baes (be-is), uai baesmím Yitz - No I don't like History
    11. I see you
    Uai creasí phai (R)

When I mentioned similarities to Irish, I was talking about pronunciation. Fadas, or accents, or sound emphasisers as you're calling them, elongate vowels in Irish as well

A is Ah but Á is Aww
    I is Eh but Í is Ee etc

So that to me seems the same as what you've said (which is not a criticism, just an observation).

Earlier you mentioned your sryanonese word for soccer is seochlá (shuck-law), which is exactly how it would be pronounced in Irish. Which is what made me curious as to the general pronunciation of your language. The rules seem to be consistent with Irish pronunciation.

When I mentioned similarities to Irish, I was talking about pronunciation. Fadas, or accents, or sound emphasisers as you're calling them, elongate vowels in Irish as well

A is Ah but Á is Aww
    I is Eh but Í is Ee etc

So that to me seems the same as what you've said (which is not a criticism, just an observation).

Earlier you mentioned your sryanonese word for soccer is seochlá (shuck-law), which is exactly how it would be pronounced in Irish. Which is what made me curious as to the general pronunciation of your language. The rules seem to be consistent with Irish pronunciation.

Oh yeah... the pronunciation is supposed to be like Irish. Just held a bit longer when you come across the sound emphasiser. Why, is there anything wrong with that?

These were originally exercises in my powerpoint for Sryanonese but I'll give them here as simple sentences.

Regular verbs (R) / Irregular verbs (IR)

1. I thought I was six
    Uai tíochí tura s'hout (R)
    2. I play the Guitar
    Uai siope ton Gitó (IR)
    3. I am fifteen
    Uai tia s'quern (IR)
    4. I like Music
    Uai mím Singeanta (IR)
    5. I fight you
    Uai baeníil phai (R)
    6. You caught the football
    Phai cathiasu ton foutetó (R)
    7. What is your name?
    Si-even nu ti reen?
    8. Are you well?
    Phai í esuyp?
    9. What do you like to do?
    Si-even res phai míon toogias?
    10. Do you like History?
    Res phai míon Yitz? - baes (be-is), uai baesmím Yitz - No I don't like History
    11. I see you
    Uai creasí phai (R)

You may also notice here in the first sentence, uai (I) is used twice in English but not in Sryanonese. This is because, you cannot repeat the same pronoun unless it is separated by a different pronoun. For example, see here what is not allowed and what is:

Uai-phai-uai - ✓
    Uai-uai-phai - X

So, you leave out the pronoun if it has the second kind of sentence ^ and put in its verb. Put in the pronoun's original verb conjugation - even without it.
    Like in the first sentence,

Uai tíochí tura s'hout
    (I) (thought) (turned) (six)
    Literally ^

Tura is the verb, Tias, in the past tense for the pronouns, Uai, Phai, Rei & Trei. You can tell which one the sentence is saying in English! You first look to see if there is a pronoun in front of the verb conjugation, in this case, tura and there is none. So you look at the start of the sentence (average sentence, not phrases which are more tricky) and see if there is a pronoun. In this case, there is and it's "uai" which means "I" or "me" and since there is no other pronoun before tura, it means "I turned" OR "I was (an age)". Is this too confusing?

Oh yeah... the pronunciation is supposed to be like Irish. Just held a bit longer when you come across the sound emphasiser. Why, is there anything wrong with that?

Nope, just curious as to the overall convention. Learning the general pronunciation of characters is the first thing I always do when I learn a language. That way you can make sense of what you hear and read what you see.

• Advertisement

Nope, just curious as to the overall convention. Learning the general pronunciation of characters is the first thing I always do when I learn a language. That way you can make sense of what you hear and read what you see.

Okay.. but the one difference is that, the sound emphasiser holds the letter a bit longer! Just reminding! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Very interesting, Well done.. Does Sryanonese have curse words ? If so throw some up..

Very interesting, Well done.. Does Sryanonese have curse words ? If so throw some up..

Why so you can say Sryanonese is a load of bollox?

Replitz - Easter
    Níllím - Christmas
    Jakole - Halloween
    Dion loi - New year
    Dione loi bes - New Year's Day
    Dione loi ead - New Year's Eve
    Níllím bes - Christmas Day
    Níllím ead - Christmas Eve
    Máirtín tíol iúool bes - Martin Luther King Jr. Day
    Sole iad bes - All Saint's Day
    Souole iad bes - All Soul's Day
    Maine bes - May Day
    Pirendae bes bancue - Bank holiday
    Luire replitz - Easter Monday
    Druire replitz - Easter Sunday
    Auire goode - Good Friday
    Duire hiel - Holy Thursday
    Muire piancial - Pancake Tuesday
    Sol Pádríonn bes - St. Patrick's Day
    Mardian - Mardi Gras
    Chuire áiseal - Ash Wednesday
    Sol Bridíonn bes - St. Bridget's Day
    Cinco moa - Cinco de Mayo
    Eléctió bes - Election Day
    Druire ríomneamíonn - Remembrance Sunday
    Víotain bes - Veteran's Day
    Arbair bes - Arbor Day
    Mímlín bes - Mother's Day
    Pínlín bes - Father's Day
    Druire mímlíneann - Mothering Sunday
    Independáe bes / Júl de puyter - Independence Day / Fourth of July
    Sol Stephóíonn bes / Bígín bes - St. Stephen's Day / Boxing Day

The indefinite article in English is when you use the simple word "A/An".

The ARTACLÍ INDEFINÍ depends on the tense in Sryanonese.

Examples:

I am a 6 = Uai tia líon s'hout.

I asked a question = Uai poui statuiton puí.

They ask me a question everyday = Reie poutane uai statuiton líon bes díoin.

I will come to a bakery = Uai tia asta fín (or pó) erhatu chóy.

See attachment for the indefinite article in the tenses.

You're putting lots of time into this, which is great, but aren't you not worried about school study too?

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    You're putting lots of time into this, which is great, but aren't you not worried about school study too?

No I do have plenty of time to do everything I want to.

Tip: When doing phrases in English such as I am friends with her NOW or I am grand NOW. In Sryanonese, you can't just say that. Instead you say the phrase "in the present" (ton plakill luíp). So:

I am grand now - Uai dest granpo ton plakill luíp - literally I am grand in the (the in) present.

No I do have plenty of time to do everything I want to.

That's good.

One of the irregular verbs in almost every language I've seen - and that's not much :D.

To be is one of the most used verbs in any language and Sryanonese is no different.
    It is also one of the most irregular in Sryanonese.

The present tense:

Uai dest - I am
    Phai dien - You are
    Rei dest
    Trei dest
    Lei diest
    Luie dial
    Reie diet
    Treie diet

The past tense:

Uai deos - I was
    Phai deos - You were
    Rei deos
    Trei deos
    Lei deosón
    Luie deosíní
    Reie deosem
    Treie deosem

The future tense:

Uai tia éloin - I will be (literally I turn to be)
    Phai tian éloin
    Rei tian éloin
    Trei tian eloin
    Lei tion éloin
    Luie tiev éloin
    Reie tiane éloin
    Treie tiane éloin

Examples of sentences involving Éloin.

Uai tia éloin shilín pó scoíal - I will be going to school
    Uai dest granpo ton plakill luíp - I am grand now
    Phai baesdeos plakill scoíal sertav - You weren't in school yesterday - remember the negative response!

• Advertisement

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    That's good.

Thanks for asking anyways

As you have heard from me before, most verbal nouns are regular in Sryanonese and can easily be formed once ya know the verb. Like for example, here are some regular verbal nouns whether they are formed by irregular or regular verbs.

To be > Éloin > Being > Éloinín
    To go > Shilíon > Going > Shilín - make sure if there is a "íon" ending in the verb, take it off and then add the 'ín'
    To work > Jobíon > Working > Jobín
    To tell > Curab > Telling > Curabín

Not all verbal nouns form this way, however, and irregular verbal nouns have to be learnt off by heart as there are no patterns whatsoever.

Irregular verbal nouns:

To swim > Lin > Swimming > Skizzeín - without the 'ín' - it becomes "street"
    To do > Toogias > Doing > Tooglín (clue to this is, that Toogias, the verb is also irregular)
    To play > Siopp > Playing > Pléyín - irregular to not confuse with "shopping"
    To shop > Bloodrooníon > Shopping > Siopín - see what I did there

that's the only irregular verbal nouns so far

These rules only apply to REGULAR VERBS.

Make sure to cross off the ending 'íon' if the verb has it.

Verbs starting with a vowel but don't end in 'íon' (Example: Asta - To come)

Uai - 'te'
    Phai - 'ti'
    Rei - 'ti'
    Trei - 'ti'
    Lei - 'tóin'
    Luie - 'tón'
    Reie - 'tói'
    Treie - 'tói'

Verbs starting with a consonant but don't end in 'íon' (Example: Ceinoir - To catch an illness)

Uai - 'u'
    Phai - 'u'
    Rei - 'u'
    Trei - 'u'
    Lei - 'uin'
    Luie - 'uil'
    Reie - 'ut'
    Treie - 'ut'

Verbs ending in 'íon' (Example: Tíochíon - To think)

Uai - 'í'
    Phai - 't'
    Rei - 'í'
    Trei - 'í'
    Lei - 'tó'
    Luie - 'tíev'
    Reie - 'tós'
    Treie - 'tós'

Use Creasíon (To see and is a regular verb) as a guide to help you on the exercises

Uai creasí - I saw
    Phai creast - You saw
    Rei creasí - He saw
    Trei creasí - She saw
    Lei creastó - We saw
    Luie creastíev - You (pl.) saw
    Reie creastós - They (m.) saw
    Treie creastós - They (f.) saw

Examples of regular verbs - Regglíe

Creasíon - To see
    Norrisíon - To stare
    Jobíon - To work
    Asta - To come
    Mizulab - To hire
    Ferirama - To attend
    Tuttaíon - To eat
    Printure - To look
    Carisk - To read

Exercises - Exrecsie

Conjugate the following verbs into the past tense tense and translate into English: (only verbs that are above ^)
    1. Uai (creasíon)
    2. Luie (tuttaíon)
    3. Phai (asta)
    4. Reie (carisk)
    5. Lei (mizulab)
    6. Treie (ferirama)
    7. Rei (jobíon)

Sassee / Goode escrum - Good morning
    Drirathiel / Goode faminamentes - Good afternoon
    Fliondeso / Goode bution - Good evening
    Fliondíto / Goode socizersing - Good night
    Flínioas - Goodbye
    Bóinsto - Hello
    Cóintlío - Congratulations
    Si-ire í phai tooglín - How are you doing
    Si-ire nu hiesses - How is everything
    Bóinstí - Hey
    Sevit - Hi
    Goode creasíon phai - Good to see you
    Si-ire ti lariess tyanoín phai - How's life been treating you

Ianse pó exrecsie - Answers to exercises

1. Uai creasí - I saw
    2. Luie tuttatíev - You (plural) ate
    3. Phai astati - You came
    4. Reie cariskut - They (masculine) read
    5. Lei mizulabuin - We hired
    6. Treie feriramaut - They (feminine) attended
    7. Rei jobí - He worked

Types of schools - scoíale

Hioffpo scoíal - Primary school
    Yokovich scoíal - Secondary school
    Goulbap - College
    Locobot - University
    Bopster scoíal - Boarding school
    Reieimé scoíal - All boys school (clue: reie (they masculine)
    Treieimé scoíal - All girls school (clue: treie (they feminine)
    Modeflick scoíal - Mixed school
    Goocrux scoíal - Community school

^ Yes I know these a weird words :P

School subjects - sujecae scoíal

Mathimapicse - Mathematics / Numbers
    Guarta - English
    Jeamita - Irish
    Fraonisa - French
    Spaonisa - Spanish
    Itaonisa - Italian
    Germaonisa - German
    Craevert - Art
    Muito meroe - Business studies
    Muito - Business
    Yitz - History
    Tritz - Geography
    Eietz - Science
    Freideachta - PE
    Tiralpolza - CSPE
    Singeanta - Music
    Eíchote manuit - Home economics
    Piraltolza - SPHE
    Teahonicae - Technology / Computers
    Reilíon - Religion
    Habeitch - Woodwork
    Poiceitch - Metalwork
    Chiemostir - Chemistry
    Beilogo - Biology
    Psynochaíe - Physics

Subjects are relatively easy to learn!

Nimbí is an irregular verb.
    Here is the present tense of nimbí:

Uai nimba - I take
    Phai nimbia - You take
    Rei nimba
    Trei nimba
    Lei nion
    Luie niev
    Reie poiane
    Treie poiane

Examples of sentences involving Nimbí:

Uai nimba phainte maug - I steal your heart (literally "I take your heart")
    Phai nimbia norf ton cedi - You take on the clock
    Lei nion líon fibrat cedi astaín - We take a long time coming (literally "we take a long clock coming")

Rei dest s'nacy pó sa puyter - It is 5 to 4 (04:55)

Rei dest sa rudi cedi - It is three o'clock (03:00)

Rei dest sa dramer pó s'hipon - It is ten to eleven (10:50)

Rei dest luím quai sa lerton - It is quarter past eight (08:15)

Rei dest luím hial s'eiste - It is half past twelve (12:30)

Rei dest sa ruit-nacy pó s'hout - It is twenty five to six (05:35)

Vocabulary

It is - rei dest (Also he is)
    Past - luím
    To - pó
    Half past - luím hial
    Quarter - quai
    O'clock - cedi (also just "clock")

Tip: When telling the time, always make sure that a number is the last word(s) in the sentence unless the time is "o'clock" when CEDI comes last.

Coaitir - Car
    Ombosodí - Airplane
    Helí - Helicopter
    Touiti - Train
    Bismarth - Bus
    Bsaimi - Boat
    Choeitch - Bike
    Biereitch - Motorbike
    Tuthí - Truck
    Limbaí - Lorry
    Hemisemí - Van
    Fireachtasachí - Hot air balloon
    Coien - Canoe
    Bhreal - Blimp
    Teirachtsachtaí - Fire engine
    Embeiritsee - Ambulance
    Tixa - Taxi
    Pishiní - Spaceship
    Retooctoo - Scooter
    Boran skatam - Skateboard

• Advertisement

Tias - Turn
    Dundheal - Left
    Clíet - Right
    Shilír accusodes staig - Go straight ahead
    Nimtem dul nout skizze ol dul dundheal - Take the first street on the left
    Nimtem dul nout skizze ol dul clíet - Take the first street on the right
    Nimtem dul tout skizze ol dul dundheal - Take the second street on the left
    Nimtem dul tout skizze ol dul clíet - Take the second street on the right
    Nimtem dul rudi skizze ol dul dundheal - Take the third street on the left
    Nimtem dul rudi skizze ol dul clíet - Take the third street on the right

Tip: When talking about directions, the word "the" translates as "dul" instead of "ton".

Advertisement