Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

embarrassed

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

he will respect you for that (he'll have to) and you are much less likely to be made redundant if redundancies are ever required.

[citation needed]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Take him out of it first thing in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

tupenny wrote:
    Yes female, mid twenties, not meaning to sound big headed- not bad looking I would say.. Why would these things be relevant?

I guess I will go with the majority and keep a note of it. Thanks all

As someone said before I think he may fancy you and is attempting to flirt. Badly!

He could have been testing the waters for worst behaviour to come like a bit bum pinching! Keep an eye on him

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

AhhMang wrote: »
    Once off, take it on the chin document that it happened and if it happens again make a point of it.

It is beyond me why you would think a physical assault on an employee is something to be taken on the chin! Would you still think it was OK, if the person had suffered an injury I wonder?

It it were me I would have left that manager in no doubt as to his future should he ever cross my path again in any way in the future - formal complaint to the guards of assault against him and a harassment case against the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

scamalert wrote: »
    Such behavior wouldn't be to uncommon in many places,specially if you get on with management on some sort level,so remarks stupid jokes etc,would be a way to break some daily tension/routine-and i mean both parties doing it.

What kind of places have you worked in? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I am amazed at what some people are saying here and how relaxed they are about it. What he did was basically assault you OP, what would he have done had you tripped and broke a wrist. I would be bypassing HR altogether and going straight to head of company.

Stupid jokes are one thing, a senior member of management trying to trip up a junior member of staff in completely unbelievable, does he think he is still in school or something, the mind boggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 AhhMang

Jim2007 wrote: »
    It is beyond me why you would think a physical assault on an employee is something to be taken on the chin! Would you still think it was OK, if the person had suffered an injury I wonder?

It it were me I would have left that manager in no doubt as to his future should he ever cross my path again in any way in the future - formal complaint to the guards of assault against him and a harassment case against the company.

I think putting your leg out to block some one and assaulting some one causing psychical harm are two entirely different things. If some one bumped into you on a dart would you claim physical assault? You'd swear he swung a leg at the op. Obviously if they had suffered and injury I would think differently, but then again if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle so you're talking about something that didn't happen.

No one here can judge the severity of the trip or the action of putting out the leg. Was it with malicious intent? Highly unlikely. formal complaint to the gards and a harassment case against the company is a bit of stretch.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    I am amazed at what some people are saying here and how relaxed they are about it. What he did was basically assault you OP, what would he have done had you tripped and broke a wrist. I would be bypassing HR altogether and going straight to head of company.

Stupid jokes are one thing, a senior member of management trying to trip up a junior member of staff in completely unbelievable, does he think he is still in school or something, the mind boggles.

But OP didn't. That's like me saying what if he ran at you and dropped kick you OP. It didn't happen. Take it as is. We can all speculate to other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i think it's a very strange thing to do to anyone. and from a manager to someone below them (career wise) i think completely inappropriate.

you can choose to document it and say nothing more or you can go to hr and make an official complaint.
    be careful, people like this start small and before you actually realise it, it's gotten out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

It really does show what a complete tosser the HR manager is!

But there's one thing I've learnt in the world of work - there's tossers everywhere!

• Advertisement

I think putting your leg out to block some one and assaulting some one causing psychical harm are two entirely different things. If some one bumped into you on a dart would you claim physical assault? You'd swear he swung a leg at the op. Obviously if they had suffered and injury I would think differently, but then again if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle so you're talking about something that didn't happen.

What a standard, if she was hurt it's a problem other wise it is OK.....
    No one here can judge the severity of the trip or the action of putting out the leg. Was it with malicious intent? Highly unlikely. formal complaint to the gards and a harassment case against the company is a bit of stretch.

The objective is to mark is cards and having the possibility of the guards turning up to interview him or court case in the offing should keep him on tender hooks while he looks for another job....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Nib wrote: »
    You were assaulted.

I wouldn't let that go, as some posters are suggesting.

Oh Christ really? He was messing about...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I think it was a really odd silly thing for him to do. I've no idea why he did it and tbh from his reaction afterwards I'd say he has no idea either.

Me personally I'd be thinking, what a silly and annoying and upsetting thing he did to me, I am going to keep an eye on that and if anything like that happens again I am going to talk to his superior about the incidences.
    OR
    The more I think about it, the more it is upsetting me, I am going to go have a word with him on Monday and tell him that while he may have been trying to be funny, I didn't like it and please don't do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Dr.Internet

Just say to him, "Do not do that again", make a note of it and move on. If it happens again, take it up with your manager.

This talk of Gardai, him loosing his jobs etc are pure tripe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

It's not pure tripe, it's a valid discussion. What do you think would happen if the roles were reversed and an office junior physically stuck out their leg and tripped a senior manager, laughed about it, and then made a highly ambiguous remark to the manager immediately after? If you think talk of losing their job would not happen, you are either lying or delusional, or both.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Canadel wrote: »
    It's not pure tripe, it's a valid discussion. What do you think would happen if the roles were reversed and an office junior physically stuck out their leg and tripped a senior manager, laughed about it, and then made a highly ambiguous remark to the manager immediately after? If you think talk of losing their job would not happen, you are either lying or delusional, or both.

If the roles were reversed I'd hate a junior to lose their job over this.
    I'd hope the senior would think in their head "well that was a seriously silly thing that guy did, don't know if he thought he was being funny or not?? Well it's not funny. And not appropriate. I'm going to keep an eye out for that person and if I see something like this again I'm going to talk to their manager about addressing it".

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

I think you should let him know it was not right for him to make a fool of you like that and not to do it again.

Also ask him what is the health and safety policy is at the company and what are the guidelines around tripping other people as a joke?

What if you did actually fall and hurt yourself, what would be the repercussions then. Safety should always be number one in any work place.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@Casey78 - pointing out spelling mistakes is cheap humour and not contributing. Post deleted. Please read the forum charter before posting again.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

In many companies "horseplay" is considered to warrant disciplinary action under their health and safety policy.

I would expect a HR person to be more responsible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

In many companies "horseplay" is considered to warrant disciplinary action under their health and safety policy.

I would expect a HR person to be more responsible!

Yep, it probably constitutes a "near miss" under H&S guidelines which should technically be reported to H&S officer/Facilities Dept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hah, this thread has gone beyond the point of ridiculousness. From a slight trip which was more than likely accidental, people are going on about warning the guy directly or even making assault complaints.

You don't have to take everything on the chin, but jaysus you can't be overly sensitive and reacting about every little inconsequential thing that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

seamus wrote: »
    Hah, this thread has gone beyond the point of ridiculousness. From a slight trip which was more than likely accidental, people are going on about warning the guy directly or even making assault complaints.

You don't have to take everything on the chin, but jaysus you can't be overly sensitive and reacting about every little inconsequential thing that happens.

I wasn't suggesting that he take the issue further (unless it happens again of course) merely pointing out that a HR manager should know better than indulge in such activities. It's hardly a good example, but maybe he has the same level of competence I have observed in many managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,915 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

seamus wrote: »

That^ OP you need to ignore 90% of the people in this thread or you're going to ruin your career there over nothing, think of it as good to be included if it was a once off, if its a recurring thing thats a different issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

It's unacceptable.

What if the OP had fallen over, and on the way down stuck out his arm and grabbed the tie of a coworked sitting near this incident? The force of the OP falling and grabbing the tie would surely have choked the coworker, slamming his down onto the keyboard in front of him. And what if the when the colleague's head hit the keyboard, he inadvertently typed the words "Bomb the whitehouse" with his forehead, and inadvertently sent it to a CNN News tips desk? Now you've got the US on amber alert, and a whole nation in hysterics. Interpol would swarm the OP's workplace, and what if it just so happens that wherever the OP works had done one or two bits of outsourced contract work for the Russian government? Now the US and Russian relationship is at an all-time low, and this little incident sets it over the edge because Obama and his advisors are certain that Russia are going to launch some long range missile attacks from Ireland as a proxy. So now the US wants to pre-empt this attack, and they scramble fighter jets and bombers to attack Moscow. Think of all the civilians that would be casualties of war? But what if the US didn't know that Russia was quietly assembling the largest nuclear arsenal the world has ever seen, only to directly hit this warehouse in their bombing run. Now you've got the biggest nuclear explosion the world has ever seen - the explosion wiping out hundreds of miles from the epicentre in Moscow, but with a fallout radiance of between 15-20,000 miles - almost the circumference of the earth.

So yeah, it's easy say that this guy was just fooling around and misread the situation, but this could easily have led to the broken down relations between 2 superpowers, a nuclear fallout to end mankind, and Brent in accounting having several keyboard keys lodged in his dead forehead. I don't think an apology is too much to ask here.

It's unacceptable.

What if

That's as far as I read. Anything after that is pure speculation and imagination.

It's unacceptable.

What if

That's as far as I read. Anything after that is pure speculation and imagination.

Edit: I probably should have kept reading as I agree haha

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭eladnova

I think it's unacceptable.

The purpose here was to humiliate or embarrass you while making the HR manager look like a "fun guy" or whatever his idea was.

Frankly he sounds like a dick. Your direct manager IMHO has a responsibility to look out for you and should have called the HR manager on such juvenile behaviour.

Where you take it is ultimately up to you. I'd probably note it somewhere in case I need to build up a log of incidents.

A mate of mine was bullied in work and it ruined his life (while there). It was low-level intimidation tactics like this which were designed to embarrass him and can leave you feeling very isolated. The type of thing where you'd feel silly telling someone else about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Any male human in any place should know better than to attempt to trip a woman.
    OP has made it clear that the attempt to trip her was deliberate.

When I was in my final year of college, a younger lad deliberately pushed me from behind on the way out of a lecture because (as was later explained to me), the lad in front of me had been planning on asking me out. He thought it was hilarious. When I started screaming and crying about my unborn baby, he was quite quick to sober up with the laughing. I was only 9 weeks pregnant with my daughter at the time.

There's a nice wee what-if for you.
    The OP need not speculate, and neither should we. But the HR manager definitely should have taken into consideration the potential for all kinds of disasters should the OP actually have taken a bad fall. Health and safety procedures in the workplace are based entirely around preventing any number of what-ifs.

Really, give me 20 mins with senior management and I'd have no doubt that his exit would be arranged. It would not be the first time that I've had to deal with this kind of crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Any male human in any place should know better than to attempt to trip a woman.

Yes because going around tripping up lads is great banter :rolleyes:

Also people arguing that what if statements are irrelevant are wrong, when the what if is a probable outcome of the action it is perfectly relevant.

Lets say someone went drink driving and you started giving out and they replied with well I didn't hit anyone, the what if is very relevant here as there action has drastically increased the likelihood.

Saying 'what if isn't relevant as what if they gave you a flying kick' is a childish argument. You can't compare a what if that is quite likely to an extreme.

OP I'd be inclined to go above him but could understand if you want to try and not cause to much hassle. I would at the least note it down and speak to you line manager who was there also, even if just bringing up in conversation casually 'bit strange of your man to try and trip me up' or something like that

Advertisement