Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Brite - Restoration Logs

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I may have been a bit hasty in my judgement, it's definitely working. It's just taking a lot longer than I thought it would. I also think the reaction continues even when the part has been cleaned, the top half of the Snes now isn't far from perfect :) I have the bottom half in now, which is significantly more yellowed...so I'm thinking maybe three or four six hour sessions in 'the box' will at least be needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭bennya

Where did you pick up the BBlonde mix? Looking at doing this myself with a couple of C64's and a grey Spectrum +2 that's turned green :)

bennya wrote: »
    Where did you pick up the BBlonde mix? Looking at doing this myself with a couple of C64's and a grey Spectrum +2 that's turned green :)

Boots stock it :)

Excellent (rubs hands)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭BGOllie

mmm. I was happy with my yellowed consoles till now... dammit!

• Advertisement

The bottom half of the SFC is in 'the box' as we speak. It's much better than before (after a few treatments), but the sides still need work. I'll update again when I've the results I want from it.

@BGOllie, if you build it...they will come

Very slow going on the bottom half of the SFC (which was much worse than the top half). It's coming along though, it'll need several more 12+ hour sessions I'd say though

Did a quick test piece this morning while there was some fleeting sun - got about three hours worth, which made a noticeable difference to the right hand side (left was masked off):

h t t ps://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5799/22616219321_da57293555_z_d.jpg

(Joined in 2006 but still a new user. Tch.)

^^ Can definitely see a difference there :)

The bottom half of my SFC is now nearly matching the top half. Once they're the same, I can start putting them in the box together to speed up the process. If I do it now, they'll stay at a relative difference & it might be hard to match them for the final finish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

bennya wrote: »
    Did a quick test piece this morning while there was some fleeting sun - got about three hours worth, which made a noticeable difference to the right hand side (left was masked off):

h t t ps://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5799/22616219321_da57293555_z_d.jpg

(Joined in 2006 but still a new user. Tch.)

Looks good https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5799/22616219321_da57293555_z_d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Myrddin wrote: »
    ^^ Can definitely see a difference there :)

The bottom half of my SFC is now nearly matching the top half. Once they're the same, I can start putting them in the box together to speed up the process. If I do it now, they'll stay at a relative difference & it might be hard to match them for the final finish

That's a good idea definitely, it is quite tough to get the same shade from individual pieces even with doing the exact same for both. Good to hear it's working though!

I'll try colour correct the original photo's too, before I show the current progress (because looking at them now they're terrible & don't show how bad the yellowing was at all).

Log 1

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It's still got a little way to go, a few more shades and it'll be as close to normal as makes no difference.

^^ The little plate that says Super Famicom has spent more time in the box than the top shell itself, so has come all the way to being perfect. I'll get the top half to match the name plate over the next couple of days & that'll be that. Also my pics above still make it difficult to convey the true colour, the top half looks as if it hasn't changed really, but it has...significantly, damn shadows etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Any way of avoiding the shadows, would more bulbs be any help ?

Any way of avoiding the shadows, would more bulbs be any help ?

The shadows are only affecting me taking pictures to show the results, the light box is obviously shadow free :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

The shadows are only affecting me taking pictures to show the results, the light box is obviously shadow free :)

ah right, misunderstood completely :D

So long do the bits need to be in the box ?

So long do the bits need to be in the box ?

Significantly longer than I thought anyway. I haven't kept a record (which I should have), but the bottom half has had 36/48 hours or thereabouts I'd say (spread across focusing on the bottom, and then each of the four corners).

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

They may be different to look at right in front of you, but in the pictures its chalk and cheese. Nice job

So, the Snes is finished. It's almost perfect, the lower half is a shade or two darker than the top which mightn't come across via the pics, but we're only talking a shade or two and you have to look very close to see it. The lower half just won't come up any brighter, so short of a peroxide bath this is the best it'll get. I'm chuffed with the results

image.jpg

20151110_083644.jpg

image.jpg

20151110_083713.jpg

image.jpg

20151110_083741.jpg

You can see the RF unit has it's own plastic which doesn't remove, it has come a long way! I could dismantle the RF unit if I wanted to remove this plastic, but I kinda like having it there as a way to remind me how bad this console used to be!

20151110_083832.jpg

20151110_083946.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

That came up well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Looks great, well done, id leave the contrasting rf unit as wel.
    How long will this last? A few years at this colour is it?

eddhorse wrote: »
    Looks great, well done, id leave the contrasting rf unit as wel.
    How long will this last? A few years at this colour is it?

I'm hopeful it won't re-yellow, because from what I'm reading...not everyone's does. If it does happen though, I suppose a year or two and it will begin to yellow again. At that point though I'll just re-treat it, and because it won't have gotten that bad I expect it'll be quite easy to restore the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I'm hopeful it won't re-yellow, because from what I'm reading...not everyone's does. If it does happen though, I suppose a year or two and it will begin to yellow again. At that point though I'll just re-treat it, and because it won't have gotten that bad I expect it'll be quite easy to restore the next time.

I did a macintosh classic a good few years ago and it's still nice and clean with no re-yellowing.
    But i guess it just depends on the plastic they used in each particular batch of consoles/computers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Hi Myrddin - your Snes looks amazing - I am interested on using your technique on my old Amiga 500. Unfortunately I can' t see the pictures on the first post - can you talk me through the materials I need?

Bulbs and where to get them?
    How you set up your UV light box - what materials and type of box did you use?

Thanks - I would really appreciate your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Inviere

Danick wrote: »
    Hi Myrddin - your Snes looks amazing - I am interested on using your technique on my old Amiga 500. Unfortunately I can' t see the pictures on the first post - can you talk me through the materials I need?

Bulbs and where to get them?
    How you set up your UV light box - what materials and type of box did you use?

Thanks - I would really appreciate your advice.

I used a large cardboard box designed for storing documents, so it has a lid and doesn't let any light in. I then lined the box with tin foil, all sides, bottom, and inside of the lid. This means any UV light is bounced around inside the box, and hits the target from all angles.

I mounted x2 12" Fluoresent UV tubes on the inside of the box lid, so they're emitting light downwards and to the sides, which is then bounced around by the tin foil. I got these from a user here who's name escapes me, I'll give you the make/model of the lights later in the week if I can find the details.

The peroxide came straight from boots, it's a cream called Jerome Russell Bblonde, though I can't find it on their site anymore. It can be got on eBay though, will throw a few links up later in the week or tomorrow if I can. It's very cheap to buy, and goes a long way.

Other than that all you need is an old newspaper to place the console on when you're applying the cream, and some decent rubber gloves as it's very harsh on the skin. Then all you need is time, treatment, wash, treatment, wash, etc. Will reupload the pictures in a day or two

Thanks Inviere for taking the time to reply - I can't wait to see the pics - I'll check boots for that cream tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Inviere

Apologies for the delay, pics of the light box build process as promised:

20151014_125845.jpg

20151014_132714.jpg

20151014_132755.jpg

20151014_133322.jpg

20151014_133345.jpg

20151014_133411.jpg

20151015_182744.jpg

20151015_184051.jpg

20151015_184527.jpg

20151015_184749.jpg

20151015_184819.jpg

20151017_130555.jpg

20151018_122028.jpg

20151018_122032.jpg

Hi Inviere - thanks so much for posting these pics - I'll start collecting all the necessary equipment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement