Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firewatch

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I played it after picking it up in the Steam sale last month and loved it. Really love the games environment. It truly feels like youre isolated out in the wilderness.

It's great. Got it on Wednesday and I find it utterly compelling. Great art direct with excellent voice acting, well judged pacing and a decent (thankfully low stakes) mystery. Bought Uncharted 4 two days before it and I find my attention wandering after ten minutes, can't get enough of Firewatch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Great vid with the most likely theory about what happened in the game. Might be spoiler in the title so just posting as a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT0mgVL8oWg

Basically
    Delillah was working with Ned the whole time covering up the fact he was still in the park until you find the kids body, then she realises she was helping cover up a murder/accidental death. I wasn't sure if Ned did kill his son but then I remembered when I was exploring a cave, I got to a point with a hole above me and continuing below where I saw a shoe. Looks like the kid did actually fall to his death in a climbing accident. Whether Ned pushed him or not is another thing but I think it was an accident.

It's obvious D and Ned were close as they played games and talked alot pre (Henry) but I'd like to know why she agreed to let Ned live on the site, did she think Brian was sent home and Ned just wanted to stay or did she really know Brian was dead the whole time?

Saw a lot of complaints online about the ending and the plotholes like the overheard conversation but I think this was actually with Ned as well. I think the focus was on never getting to see Delillah instead of trying to figure out what's going on in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    What a game! Well with the 13 quid on the ps store sale atm. Also recommend paying the extra 80 cent for the theme as well.

Story, VA, graphics, sound and music, all top quality, thoroughly enjoyed that.

I asked back when this came out if it was worth €20, people were divided.

At €13 you seem to have gotten your values worth though, might look at picking it up

Definitely got my 13 euro worth. I'm glad I waited for the sale though, same with Journey, that was great for a fiver, glad I didn't pay 20 for it though, Gone Home and Life is Strange are well worth their free/sale prices as well. Atm, getting the most value out of This war of Mine for a tenner.

Woah now! I wasn't looking for no Journey bashing! Journey would be a steal at €150!

Life is Strange - Have it from a while back, finished like 2 episodes so far
    This War of Mine - I'm eyeing up buying that in the same purchase (Is that the Little Ones? IS that like the GOTY edition?)
    Gone Home - Free, downloaded it, put it on the long finger

• Advertisement

Cormac... wrote: »
    Woah now! I wasn't looking for no Journey bashing! Journey would be a steal at €150!

Life is Strange - Have it from a while back, finished like 2 episodes so far
    This War of Mine - I'm eyeing up buying that in the same purchase (Is that the Little Ones? IS that like the GOTY edition?)
    Gone Home - Free, downloaded it, put it on the long finger

HA yeah Journey was great but I don't think I'll play through it again for quite some time, much enjoed the other games on the list. Gone Home was a brilliant experience, Only played 1 ep of Life is Strange but got the season pass for 13 euro, enjoyed the 1st to check out the rest which is on my list next. I honestly thought I'd get just a couple of hours out of This War of Mine as there is a lot in it for a small game. Yeah it's the Little Ones version including that DLC. Not sure if it has or missing other DLC though.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Definitely got my 13 euro worth. I'm glad I waited for the sale though, same with Journey, that was great for a fiver, glad I didn't pay 20 for it though, Gone Home and Life is Strange are well worth their free/sale prices as well. Atm, getting the most value out of This war of Mine for a tenner.

Is "This war of mine" any good?

HA yeah Journey was great but I don't think I'll play through it again for quite some time

18364.JPG

Will pick up This War is Mine so if "The Little Ones" is the "Complete" edition

DeclanRe wrote: »
    Is "This war of mine" any good?

Yes really good if you're into the who survival, managing supplies, scavenging, etc.

Finished this in 2 sittings about 4 hours all in.

It was good and enjoyable but it was not great.

People here have been far too forgiving of the stuttering on console, it was a constant the entire time.
    It was pretty unforgivable and genuinely hampered my enjoyment of the game

The controls system was just "off"
    I'm not exactly sure what was wrong, but it felt like I was constant messing about pressing all but the 1 command i was looking for.

The ending:
    Fine, it wasn't great, felt like it could have been bolder or more "obvious".
    Like, I knew it wasn't going to be aliens, or whatever, it just felt like the 3rd act didn't tie together enough of the story threads.

Sure, I liked how you find the fathers bunker and the notes he'd written and stuff.
    But the actual tape the father left you and his motives were weak.
    Also Delilah burning out of there cause she "couldn't stand to be there another minute" was rubbish, she said she'd wait, she didn't.

I can't help but feel even the dev must have shown this to friends or family or something and not felt "We could have done a better ending"
    But no, I can see them now, giving it LARGE about how "it's not about the ending, it's about the story told between 2 unknown souls yadda yadda yadda"

Just felt deflating after an excellent 2nd (?) act where you find the clipboard, get hit over the head, change radio, find the scientist place
    Also, felt like the "Missing Person" person and the notes between the 2 guys in other towers (that you found in the lock ups) was going to add more to the ending or at least the 3rd act, as opposed to one radio conversation near the end where I think they allude to one of them being gay (?).
    Also, if the science facility thing was a genuine government thing (testing soil? tracking deer?), and was erected for such long periods, I refuse to believe that Delilah wasn't informed. WTF?
    Main Point: Ending was ultimately a let down, not a catastrophic failure, just very "meh" after the 1st ~3 hours get you all intrigued.

Overall: 6.5/10

Taking off a point for stuttering, another for the bad controls and invisible walls and getting stuck on stuff (and a gamebreakinig glitch I had which meant restarting a day) and another point for the ending overall and a half-point for the pointless "Picking stuff up" (see: Books), and examining it and throwing it on the floor (seriously, nothing you examine adds ANYTHING to the game).

• Advertisement

Just started this tonight, the text in the beginning affected us here far more than 99% of cutscenes I've ever seen :(

Will be interesting in when the film comes out what beginning they'll choose.

Just finished it think my only major criticism could be that it had all the parts in place for multiple endings and they decided to go with a fixed one. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Started this yesterday after months of deciding whether to pick it up or not! About a couple of hours in and really enjoying it! Such a simple idea but it looks wonderful and you really get enthralled in the relationship with Delilah. Cant wait to see where it goes (must get the mrs out of the house again for a few hours to let me finish it haha)

Just got to finish it. Really impressed with the whole thing and the time playing it flew by. Would have it top 5 games I've played on ps4.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

This is on sale for a tenner. I picked it up.

Kirby wrote:
    This is on sale for a tenner. I picked it up.

Well worth it enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Got this on sale and finished it in one sitting. Very enjoyable!

Advertisement