Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firewatch

Options
  • 13-10-2015 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭

So Firewatch release date has been release as the 9th of February.

This is across PC, PS4 and X box 1, it has been in development the last 2 years by a small team and looks beautiful i must say!

First 17 minutes game play, looks fun and different.

Website so you can sign up for the newsletter if you so wish:

http://www.firewatchgame.com/

Anyone interested? I honestly cant wait,its on my radar too long now :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Seems like an interactive story, like Gone Home or that other game that I can't remember where I walked over some Island for 2 hours with commentary and had a real weird story and wasn't great.......I think it was called.....wasted time on an Island...or.....Dear Esther..yeah...that was it.

This looks a bit better, but I'll wait for a release and some people on boards to give their views.

I enjoyed Gone Home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Dear Esther, never played it but it looked beautiful. Gone home was nice too. But this game doesn't look as linear as either of them which is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

So, anyone getting this tomorrow? Just read the pc version will have a feature of being able to take in game pics and then pay 15 dollars to have them developed and sent to you. But of a strange one..

I'm mad to hear more about it, not sure how much it even costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,382 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    So, anyone getting this tomorrow? Just read the pc version will have a feature of being able to take in game pics and then pay 15 dollars to have them developed and sent to you. But of a strange one..

Very intrigued by it and once reviews don't stink, I'll definitely be picking it up on ps4. Looks very very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

20 quid on Steam, but on sale for 18 at the moment.

Looks interesting and different enough that I'm sure I'll pick it up as soon as I clear a bit more of my backlog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Any sign of it on the PS Store yet? Do we know how much it will cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Any sign of it on the PS Store yet? Do we know how much it will cost?

Still not up, think this will be €20 and there will a Plus discount for the first week.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

reviews are varying quite a bit on gamerankings , might wait to hear some opinions on here

Originally thought this was on the way for Xbox too, doesn't seem to be the case now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Originally thought this was on the way for Xbox too, doesn't seem to be the case now :(

It isn't being published by Sony so it will more than likely reach the Xbox One at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

This games looks so good. For some reason I thought it was a mobile title. Disappointing to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Seems like the game is suffering performance issues on PS4, the devs are working with Sony to get a patch together to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,382 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It's definitely one of those polarising games like Journey. Either love it or hate the type of game it is. Most people seem to love it but there's no middle ground. Performance issues on ps4 are frustrating, might hang on a bit before I get it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Most of the reviews I've read say the whole thing falls apart at the end - although the general consensus seems to be it's excellent up until that point. Very curious to play it now to see what exactly is so iffy about the ending :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Just read the pc version will have a feature of being able to take in game pics and then pay 15 dollars to have them developed and sent to you. But of a strange one.

Weird but harmless. I don't begrudge them the attempt to develop another way of making some money from their game, and it doesn't impact anyone else's experience. It's the sort of thing I'd like to see more of, rather than early access, pre-launch DLC, expensive expansions, perks and advantages in multiplayer, etc.

CSGO suggests you spend money to roll some dice and get pretty skins for your guns. It's a little annoying how they kind of shove it in your face and repeatedly solicit you to do so, but it's a harmless feature that doesn't really impact anyone but the people choosing to take advantage of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Really enjoyed the first hour or two. Lovely sense of physicality to the movement system, feels like you're genuinely traversing ground as an actual person! If you're playing on PC, I'd recommend playing with a controller for that reason - felt off with the keyboard and mouse, much more tactile and logical with a Dualshock! Not a whole lot of variety in what you do - lots of 'big drops' - and the map isn't particularly open. But it flows well and conjures up a potent sense of vastness and lonliness.

No narrative nosedive yet anyway :pac: The conversations between the two characters flow credibly and engagingly. Not the most technically or aesthetically demanding game, but plenty of fetching sights and lovely painterly lighting effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fedorafennec

After you finish the photos show in the credits. From the main menu, you can upload the photos to their site and it gives you a link to view and download them at. They seem to be higher resolution than what you play at. Mine were at 2960x1944 while I played it at 1080p.

Performance was a bit iffy but that might just be a unity engine thing. It crashed a few times at first but was patched like two hours after release and that sorted that.

The narrative seems like it is building towards something it isnt at times but I was pretty happy with it overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Performance was a bit iffy but that might just be a unity engine thing. It crashed a few times at first but was patched like two hours after release and that sorted that.

There's nothing intrinsic to Unity that would cause performance to be iffy. The engine is as good as what you put into it. If it's poorly optimised that's on the developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fedorafennec

There's nothing intrinsic to Unity that would cause performance to be iffy. The engine is as good as what you put into it. If it's poorly optimised that's on the developers.

Just looked some of that up and don't know where I got that idea. Anyhow, I played it on low and medium and it was still quite pretty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Put in 2 hours+ this evening. It's a fairly good game, enjoyable.

One thing I did notice is the sense of isolation/paranoia.

Impressive stuff so far for 18 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Put in 2 hours+ this evening. It's a fairly good game, enjoyable.

One thing I did notice is the sense of isolation/paranoia.

Impressive stuff so far for 18 quid.

Have found it very well optimised, actually, and that's coming from the miracle of optimisation that is The Witness! Easily hitting 60-100 FPS on Ultra, the only minor drop below was when walking through a thick forest area with dusky rays of sunlight pouring through - understandably demanding, and undeniably fetching to boot. Have played far less stable Unity-based games (Sunset springs to mind). Did come across one weird bug where I couldn't get text from a letter off my screen, had to quit to main menu to rectify it.

One thing I'm not so fond of in the game is the item physics and interactions. The wacky way you hurl items just seems at odds with the tone of the world and indeed the physical presence of your character. Especially jarring since some items have a proper 'put back' option where you place them carefully instead of flailing your arms wildly and hurling the object in the general direction of down :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

The PS4 theme with this is lovely from the brief moments I saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

I Will buy this game but not when they insult me with a 2 euro off discount on a pretty sale game. So tacky.

But it looks great.

Feck it, I'll get it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

They seem to be higher resolution than what you play at. Mine were at 2960x1944 while I played it at 1080p

Fascinating. Must have some mechanism where it rerenders at higher resolution for the screencap. No reason it would be an issue, I suppose, given that it only has to generate one frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

Played a couple of hours last night, really enjoying it so far and looking forward to finding out what happens. The stuttering on PS4 is disappointing, but I guess it doesn't impact this sort of game much (compared to an FPS for example).
    tok9 wrote: »
    The PS4 theme with this is lovely from the brief moments I saw it.

Yeah it's nice theme, like the sound effects with it. It's replaced my Journey theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I finished this last night. Only had one graphical issue (where half the world disappeared. It looked like I was at the edge of a cliff, but once I walked 'off' the cliff, the rest of the world popped up) - While I can see why some people disliked the ending, I thought it was great. I don't want to get into it, as the games needs to be played with as little knowledge as possible. It took me just over 3 hours to finish, but it's definitely something I'll replay in a few months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

chrislad wrote: »
    It took me just over 3 hours to finish

At what kind of pace were you playing it?

• Advertisement

Finished it last night. Overall I dug it a lot. The main ending - i.e. what develops between the two main characters - is great. It's understated and melancholic in a way games very rarely are. It's a curious, meaningful friendship between two people tackling their own demons and ends appropriately.

I think the problems are more with the side-story, and the sense of mystery bubbling throughout the game (comes to the forefront in the latter half).
    It's leads to a weak denouncement that asks for an emotional impact from the player based on characters they haven't encountered. It's rushed and clunky in execution. On the plus side, it doesn't go down the crazy conspiracy route it teases, and in a way reflects the paranoia and grief of Henry and more directly Delilah - certainly in that sense I can see what the developers were aiming for, and occasionally succeeding in. But honestly overall it felt an attempt to force contrived drama on a story that really didn't need it - forcing a genre story and accompanying twist upon something that works best as a character drama. It reminded me somewhat of the way Gone Home uses horror tropes as a tool to tell what is ultimately a much more grounded story, but here I don't think it was as elegantly interwoven throughout the whole experience.

With that caveat, I'd still overall call it a success. Oddly enough, it's the first 'walking simulator' I've played that seems to truly embrace the physical feeling of walking - and rapelling, running, hopping, hiking etc... The world is potently beautiful and lonely, although towards the end I think the map's relatively modest scale becomes a bit too obvious (even if it cuts down on backtracking as a result). I also appreciated Campo Santo's elegant use of smash cuts and edits - using the language of cinema in a positive way to emphasise time and dramatic beats. Definitely worth a play - not quite as thematically rich or structurally interesting as something like Sunset or The Beginner's Guide, but a simple, accessible story well told (apart from those moments it wants to be something it isn't).

Advertisement