Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forced to take annual leave in place of sick leave

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,782 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Organising childcare to mind your sick children? And maybe some home help for your sick wife I suppose? Seriously now, I've heard it all.

The children aren't sick. The wife is. Home nursing / home help agencies exist precisely for reasons like this. They are costly, but it is possible. Other options include friends, family and sometimes even neighbours.

Wise parents have contingency plans in place for just this sort of situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Just as a matter of interest op, why don't you use your annual leave to stay at home and care for your family?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

because he has a sick note

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Nody wrote: »
    Yes but not three concurrent days which was the point of saying only one day is covered.

I got three concurrent days a few years ago. It's at the discretion of your employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Tigger wrote: »
    because he has a sick note

No, he had a note from a doctor that said his wife was sick so he had to mind the kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

The doctor wrote a letter stating that the OP's wife was sick, this may not have been presented as a "sick note" and it seems the employer was clear that it was not such. Sick leave is for when you are sick, other things come under different categories. Effectively this is a case of the employer being expected to pay the OP, so that the OP won't have to pay for a child minder or whatever. The employer may be willing to do this, but don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

OP, why didn't you just pretend to be sick. Tell you're doctor you're stressed and they'll give you cert, I do it all the time, haven't been caught yet.

Since when is stress an illness? Most people in the real world are exposed to stress. Indeed many jobs are filled with stress. It is part of life.

Advising the OP to pretend to be sick is encouraging fraud.

The employer was correct. End of. I note the OP seems to recognize this and accepts it also.

bee06 wrote: »
    No, he had a note from a doctor that said his wife was sick so he had to mind the kids.

i agree its ridiculous but thats why he thinks he should get to use sick days
    i'd be glad if i was allowed annual leave at short notice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

OP, why didn't you just pretend to be sick. Tell you're doctor you're stressed and they'll give you cert, I do it all the time, haven't been caught yet.

This is a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

But you are not sick!

Why are you surprised???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

:eek:

Yeah right....... No wonder we are in the mess we are!!

The OP IS NOT SICK

lazeedaisy wrote: »

The OP IS NOT SICK

sshhhh his cousin has a headache

• Registered Users Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You might not even get Force Majeure for this type of thing - I think it's really meant for a "rush a relative to hospital" scenario, but you might get away with it.

Do you have a thing called "family leave" in your work? I had that in my place just for situations like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

If you send a sick cert from doctor into social welfare this will allow you to get illness benefit from the state

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Strange thread this.

Let's not lose sight of why the op is taking time off, his wife is ill and his family needs him.

The sick cert is a no no and the employer was right so in effect the op has no rights in a legal sense to paid time off. He can apply for annual leave and unpaid leave. To be entitled to state illness benefit, you must be certified sick (he is not) and it kicks in after 6 days.

Op your over riding concern is to be with your family when they need you and irrespective of your employer's decision to grant sick leave, you have to be there. So take annual leave or ask for unpaid leave, unfortunately you are either going to use up some holiday days or take a hit in your wages but neither is as important as being at home right now.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

OP, most parents when taking time off due to a family member being ill, either use up their paid annual leave or take unpaid leave (parental leave) Some employers may make you make up the time lost at a later date.

The first year I was back at work I took 20 unpaid leave days because my child was picking up bugs /teething/ temperature. It sucks, but it is what it is. My partner took unpaid leave too, but luckily his employer facilitates working from home occasionally. It's just part of the juggle parents who work do, and while it is brilliant to get an understanding employer, having kids does not entitle us to get paid for a day we didn't work.

Look into parental leave with your employer, or suggest options to work from home if that's an option. Or take annual leave if you cant afford to be down a few days wages. If you can demonstrate that there is no alternative carer for your children when their primary carer takes ill, then you can try for force majeure leave.

Advertisement