Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forced to take annual leave in place of sick leave

Options
  • 08-10-2015 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello, I had to take 3 days unexpected leave (I have a medical certificate to cover the days) to care for my wife who is sick, and for my children. My manager at work insists that I take the three days as annual leave and not sick leave, as I was not personally sick. Does anyone know what rights I have under Irish Law? I checked citizens advice but it is not clear to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

JStew wrote: »
    Hello, I had to take 3 days unexpected leave (I have a medical certificate to cover the days) to care for my wife who is sick, and for my children. My manager at work insists that I take the three days as annual leave and not sick leave, as I was not personally sick. Does anyone know what rights I have under Irish Law? I checked citizens advice but it is not clear to me.

Your manager is right, you (the employee) are not sick therefore you cannot be signed off on sick leave. How on earth did you get a medical very from a GP when you personally are not sick?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As above, your employer is correct. Sick leave only applies when you are sick.

The presence of a medical certificate is irrelevant, your employer can dispute the validity of it.

What you need to avail of in this case is force majeur leave, but if a bit of time has elapsed since, it might be too late to apply it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JStew

Hi davo10, My wife was very sick, and there was no one else to take care of our children. When I took her to the Dr, I explained the situation and she gave me a medical certificate stating I was unable to attend work as I was the primary carer for our children while my wife was sick. I understand that carer's leave has to last at least 13 weeks, so that was not something that qualified.

I looked at force majeur leave, I will read it again. I was just wondering if I was entitled to sick leave instead of having to take annual leave. If you become sick on annual leave, you can get a cert and have those days as sick leave rather than annual leave. Just checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

JStew wrote:
    I looked at force majeur leave, I will read it again. I was just wondering if I was entitled to sick leave instead of having to take annual leave. If you become sick on annual leave, you can get a cert and have those days as sick leave rather than annual leave. Just checking.

You weren't sick, though. The fact that your doctor signed you off (which is crazy, imo) doesn't change that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Wish i had a crooked doctor like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭ForestFire

As posted above, force majeur is what you are entitled too, not sick leave.

I would read the link provided carefully and go back to your emplyer to request this.

DuffleBag wrote: »
    Wish i had a crooked doctor like that!

Don't think the doctor done anything wrong?

Wrote a letter to explain the wife's illness only, and that because of this, she was not able to mind the kids.

The doctor did not say there was anything medically wrong with the OP

JStew wrote: »

This is true when you are sick, not your wife

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Few things stick out here...

1. the doctor is a pure sham if he gave OP a medical cert to get time off work because his wife was sick. I'd be interested to see OP clarify - did you get a letter explaining your wife was sick, or did you get a cert saying you were sick so you'd fraudulently get time of work ??

2. you cannot be forced to take annual leave in stead of being off sick - providing you are genuinely sick, however, I suspect your manager knew that you weren't sick yourself and so was refusing the medical cert provided to you by the doctor.

3. your manager was poor in not suggesting force majeur leave be taken, this is the exact scenario it was introduced to cover and unless you've already used up your allowance there is no skin of their nose for doing so, actually it helps build a relationship by helping employees out when they need it.

I've worked in a company who blacklisted medical certs from a select few GP's as they were handing out medical certs like tissue paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 evey3624

OP you can apply for Force Majeure for the first day only as this leave is seen as unexpected/ emergency leave not planned leave. So on the first day of your wife sickness it was imperative that you had to care for your children as your wife was unable to do so (and you will have to explain the illness) and it was unexpected. Once you received diagnoses it is no longer viewed as unexpected and you can know plan ahead so the additional days will be holidays.

Hope this helps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 evey3624

OP you can apply for Force Majeure for the first day only as this leave is seen as unexpected/ emergency leave not planned leave. So on the first day of your wife sickness it was imperative that you had to care for your wife (you will have to explain the illness and it will have to be deemed severe enough to warrant this type of leave i.e. not a flu) and it was unexpected. Once you received diagnoses it is no longer viewed as unexpected and you can know plan ahead so the additional days will be holidays.

Hope this helps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I hope your wife is doing much better no OP.

I presume you we're off due to stress (due to family illness) which is a valid reason a doctor can put down on a mc2. But, it's up to each individual employer to except that reason.

Hi All,

Wife is so/so, has a recurring infection after birth of our child which is just not going away.

To be fair to the Dr, the med cert states that I am unable to attend work due to illness of primary care giver to our children. I have never had a med cert before and (touch wood) won't need one again. I will just take the 3 days as annual leave as suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

I hope your wife is doing much better no OP.

I presume you we're off due to stress (due to family illness) which is a valid reason a doctor can put down on a mc2. But, it's up to each individual employer to except that reason.

If your employer is not accepting the reason, they should contact your GP directly. I would love to be a fly on the wall when they question your GPs medical judgement. Usually goes down a treat.

I'm sure it was a very stressful time for you OP. Not sure how your employer expected you to be at work while your family was ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

If your employer is not accepting the reason, they should contact your GP directly. I would love to be a fly on the wall when they question your GPs medical judgement. Usually goes down a treat.

I'm sure it was a very stressful time for you OP. Not sure how your employer expected you to be at work while your family was ill.
    The boss probably didn't suggest force majeur leave, once the OP handed in a medical cert, that was a worthless cert.

OPs boss doesn't need to contact the doctor, as the cert says the OP can't go to work, as he's babysitting his kids. That's not a medical condition

Force Majeur, as mentioned would cover only day 1, as after that the OP would be expected to have sorted out childcare.

The OP may have parental leave he could take, but that's usually prearranged. not post leave.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Mr.Carter

+1 on force majeur

• Registered Users Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Not sure how your employer expected you to be at work while your family was ill.

The employer did not expect the poster to be at work: if they did expect that, the OP would now be looking at disciplinary proceedings, or at least unpaid leave. Instead the employer has generously allowed them to use paid leave.

OP, for your info, there is NO entitlement to sick leave under Irish employment law. None for you. None for your family. This sounds preposterous to people from some other countries, but it is the way it is. To complain about it, see your TD.

Technically, if you are unable to fulfill your employment contract due to being sick, or due to your family being sick or even dying, your employer can start disciplinary proceedings.

In practice, however, almost all employers allow you to have a certain number of days of sick leave each year before they start this process.

Some generous employers even allow a certain number of days paid sick leave each year.

After six days of sickness yourself, you may become eligible for Illness Benefit.

But I don't know what, if any, benefits cover situations when you have to care for children because the main caregiver is sick. As you say, it's not Carer's allowance - among other things, that's for when you have to care for a sick person, not for others who they usually care for. If it happens again, maybe ask Welfare an open-ended question and see what they say.

An employer cannot contact a GP directly and seek info about an illness any more than a GP can breach patient confidentiality by providing that info.
    The employer is correct not to accept a request for leave due to illness, the op is not sick. Also, the op has not stated whether he has considered applying for unpaid leave, as correctly stated above, there are strict criteria for applying for force majuere, it must be urgent, it must be a close family member, the applicant's presence must be essential, it can only be for 3 days in any 12 month period and it must be applied for on the first day, not retrospectively.

The employer did not expect the poster to be at work: if they did expect that, the OP would now be looking at disciplinary proceedings, or at least unpaid leave. Instead the employer has generously allowed them to use paid leave.

Extremely generous indeed. :rolleyes:

There's the letter of the law, and then there's an employer having a bit of cop on. Unless this was a regular occurrence, then accommodations should be made that don't involve the OP having to take annual leave.

Rules are there to be bent. Who knows, an employer might need some flexibility in future themselves, such as unpaid overtime etc. The door should swing both ways.

OP, if your manager/company is really that much a stickler for the rules, maybe it would be worth considering a career change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Bogger77 wrote: »
    The boss probably didn't suggest force majeur leave, once the OP handed in a medical cert, that was a worthless cert.

OPs boss doesn't need to contact the doctor, as the cert says the OP can't go to work, as he's babysitting his kids. That's not a medical condition

Force Majeur, as mentioned would cover only day 1, as after that the OP would be expected to have sorted out childcare.

The OP may have parental leave he could take, but that's usually prearranged. not post leave.

Force Majeur can cover up to 3 days in a 12 month period, or 5 in 36.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

It can but of the three days only the first was unexpected. After that the OP knew he would need someone to mind the kids and so had time to organise it.

OP apply for force majeure for the first day only, annual leave for the other two.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yes but not three concurrent days which was the point of saying only one day is covered.

toadfly wrote: »
    It can but of the three days only the first was unexpected. After that the OP knew he would need someone to mind the kids and so had time to organise it.

OP apply for force majeure for the first day only, annual leave for the other two.

OP, next time your GP should state stress caused by family illness on the cert. Your family's wellbeing comes first.

I can only assume by some of the replies that some posters do not have children. Organising childcare to mind your sick children? And maybe some home help for your sick wife I suppose? Seriously now, I've heard it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

OP, next time your GP should state stress caused by family illness on the cert. Your family's wellbeing comes first.

I can only assume by some of the replies that some posters do not have children. Organising childcare to mind your sick children? And maybe some home help for your sick wife I suppose? Seriously now, I've heard it all.

Or maybe we are telling the OP what is covered by law which is more helpful to him than parents saying its ridiculous that he doesnt get paid leave to mind his kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I can only assume by some of the replies that some posters do not have children. Organising childcare to mind your sick kids

His children aren't sick, his wife, who presumably stays at home with them, is.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. The OP isn't sick, so sick leave doesn't apply, simple as.

What do you think other parents do, as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

OP, why didn't you just pretend to be sick. Tell you're doctor you're stressed and they'll give you cert, I do it all the time, haven't been caught yet.
    and this is why companies don't believe sick certs for stress

OP, why didn't you just pretend to be sick. Tell you're doctor you're stressed and they'll give you cert, I do it all the time, haven't been caught yet.

A cert does not entitle you to leave of absence due to illness, it just explains why you are applying for it.

Bogger77 wrote: »
    and this is why companies don't believe sick certs for stress

Or certs for bad cases of sarcasm-itis either.
    Dial Hard wrote: »
    What do you think other parents do, as a matter of interest?

Well, I'm glad you asked. I'd recommend a multi-step approach:
    1. Tell the wife to toughen up, and in fact, tell her to get back in the workplace and contribute to society
    2. Abdicate the care of your kids to a creche, 5 days a week or more if possible, seeing as kids love it so much apparently
    3. Drink the company cool aid, and take the nuclear option immediately in all cases of absenteeism
    4. Follow steps 1 to 3 above, and hopefully find yourself in a management position at your company in the near future

• Advertisement

Or certs for bad cases of sarcasm-itis either.

Well, I'm glad you asked. I'd recommend a multi-step approach:
    1. Tell the wife to toughen up, and in fact, tell her to get back in the workplace and contribute to society
    2. Abdicate the care of your kids to a creche, 5 days a week or more if possible, seeing as kids love it so much apparently
    3. Drink the company cool aid, and take the nuclear option immediately in all cases of absenteeism
    4. Follow steps 1 to 3 above, and hopefully find yourself in a management position at your company in the near future

Or, follow your example, risk getting found out faking illness and worry about supporting your family on welfare payments.

Advertisement